antiX-23-alpha1-runit-full (64bit) for testing

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23-alpha1-runit-full (64bit) for testing

Tagged: 

• This topic has 436 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated Mar 21-8:50 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 437 total)
  • Author
    fladd

zzzfm bug: When not showing the tab bar, the space between the main area and the “Devices” and “Bookmark” areas on the left is grey, as it should be. However, as soon as another tab is open, that changes to white, meaning it effectively disappears. See below for a demonstration.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by fladd.
      sasa_

Re 6.1 kernel – good news is that it seems to work ‘better’ for some hardware where 5.10 was problematic.
        Playing video seemed to be very smooth.
        The ‘bad’ news is that it is significantly more RAM (but not CPU) intensive.

I compared 5.10 kernel and 6.1.11 kernel on antiX22 (bullseye) and found the 6.1 kernel to leak memory.
        Initial boot RAM is slightly higher than the 5.10 ie about 4 MB higher.
        BUT after a few minutes of use, it jumps to being 30 MB higher.

It is important that the kernel works. It is true that the system with the latest kernel runs slower and consumes more RAM. If the latest antix 23 with the latest kernel runs on my computer I will be very happy.

I will get the latest system with five years of support.

Robin

6.1.10 is available in testing/sid (ie antiX-23) repos
          6.1.11 is available in antiX bullseye (antiX-22) repos.

Thanks, now I’ve got it. Will check it out when back on antiX 22.

Another ignorant question (sorry for me being that unexperienced in this area).
          Is this bullseye kernel package fine to install on bookworm after manually downloading? Or does it contain dependencies or whatever, causing trouble in antiX 23? Generally, are kernel image and header packages different for all the antiX versions, or are they all the same and can be used on either antiX version?

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

PPC

I now next to zero about Linux kernels, but I read in the news that 6.1 had an improvement:

From http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2022/12/linux-kernel-6-1-released-new-features:
            “Another addition to Linux kernel 6.1 is Multi-Generational Least-Recently-Used (aka MG-LRU; though this not yet enabled by default). To quote in-kernel documentation, this memory-minded feature: “…optimizes page reclaim and improves performance under memory pressure”

Is by any chance that option enabled? Is it possible that it takes a bit more RAM to better manage it, as strange as that may seem?

My opinion: on my current desktops, some 30mb of RAM do not matter much, but on my netbook and 32bits laptops, that have 1Gb or RAM it’s a 3% increase on RAM usage – not that high, but it can make the OS use swap a bit faster…

Completely unrelated – but something that can be fixed in antiX 23 – /usr/share/icewm/themes/icenoir* themes include a wallpaper image that is 300kb, repeated in all 3 sizes of the theme (900kb in total). You can keep one, and add links to it, saving 660kb on the iso.
            It’s a nice wallpaper, pity no one knows it’s there…

Xunzi_23

Regarding higher memory usage I also suspect kernel memory management but
              having updated to newer versions and seeing xserver at top of usage list
              uncertain. Using top which may be/is less accurate than other ways.
              and on a fairly complex setup.

Graphics, still a lot of screen tearing, maybe better if NVidia 470 driver
              will install but that is a job for another day.

🙂 Nit picking now,

Important utilitys
              ytfzf and fzf missing ;-(

Why fzf, not just for music, it is a tiny and bad ass search tool…
              From the manual:
              A fuzzy search approximates things, it performs additional tasks of inserting, deleting and substituting possible closeness strings. For example:

A fuzzy search for cot would also find the string coat inserting an a
              If searching for coat it will find cot by deleting an a
              And searching for coat will find cost by substituting the a for an s

This closeness is measured and depending on how many elementary operations it needed to get to this result, it knows how close each result is to our original lookup.

sudo apt install ytfzf fzf and let the music play.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Xunzi_23.
              • This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Xunzi_23.
              olsztyn

I compared 5.10 kernel and 6.1.11 kernel on antiX22 (bullseye) and found the 6.1 kernel to leak memory.

I noticed that also when I played with kernel 6.1. At that time I attributed memory leak to kernel being still in alpha or beta development. If they do not fix such significant defect I am staying with kernel 5.10.142, which has no memory leak that I could determine.
                It is not as much that 6.1 will use more memory, if it is necessary for to fulfill it’s function, but faulty memory management is a show stopper for me.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Xunzi_23

Hi all,
                  with the 6.1 kernel

after initial slight indicated rise in system memory usage after start the indicated memory usage stays
                  pretty much stable for many hours. Same goes in general usage.

No sign of constant increase which would indicate memeory leakage and eventualy trigger OOM reaper.

What I do see is connman inaccesently checking the connection, until eventualy timeout is reached and
                  that calms down. A nuisance. Probably kept as individual devices can be identified by clock slew.

Wanted more info, from the project page http://01.org/connman I get
                  You are not authorized to access this page. Open ahem…

Otherwise system runs sweet and stable but at price of higher ram usage. Biggest user xorg.
                  RCU? – “Read, Copy, Update” is also pretty busy at times as is runserv.

Robin

No sign of constant increase which would indicate memeory leakage

Can confirm, no issue with constantly increasing memory usage on the system I’m running antiX 23 on, kernel 6.1.10-antix.1-amd64-smp, with nearly three days uptime meanwhile. I have stressed the system heavily with installation, testing and running of many programs during this time. So probably not a memory leak.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

caprea

Yes, the 6.1 kernel starts with more memory usage, but it does not increase, even after a very long time.
                      Another positive thing I noticed is that the screen tearing on intel cards has disappeared here with the modesetting driver.

Forum Admin
                      anticapitalista

Thanks, now I’ve got it. Will check it out when back on antiX 22.

Another ignorant question (sorry for me being that unexperienced in this area).
                        Is this bullseye kernel package fine to install on bookworm after manually downloading? Or does it contain dependencies or whatever, causing trouble in antiX 23? Generally, are kernel image and header packages different for all the antiX versions, or are they all the same and can be used on either antiX version?

You shouldn’t install a bullseye kernel onto a different base eg bookworm.
                        Things *might* work for a while, but after some time things will act weird.
                        The kernel is built using the gcc for that version ie for bullseye it uses gcc-10 and for bookworm gcc-12

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Forum Admin
                        anticapitalista

Shouldn’t the font in QT apps match the font in GTK apps by default? It seems the default for QT apps is a monospace font. It can easily be changed in the QT5 settings, but should probably by default be the matching one.

Ok, but where is the font information ‘stored’ for qt apps?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Brian Masinick

I’m trying out the xanmod kernel with our Alpha release on my Dell Inspiron 5558.
                            I already have this kernel on my HP-14. I have not noticed any memory leak activity with either this or the Liquorix 6.1 series kernels.

--
                            Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

See http://xanmod.org/ for the Xanmod kernel, which can be set up for various processor types,
                              and see http://liquorix.net/ for the Liquorix kernel if you are interested.

Both have worked well with Linux systems for years.

--
                              Brian Masinick

techore

@anticapitalista, can you provide the antiX 23 alpha core for download?

My assumption is full is built from core, so it aleady exists. If not, I will embrace patience. 🙂

Forum Admin
                                anticapitalista

@anticapitalista, can you provide the antiX 23 alpha core for download?

My assumption is full is built from core, so it aleady exists. If not, I will embrace patience. ????

All our iso files are built from scratch – including core and net – by using our in-house build-iso scripts.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 437 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.