antiX-23-alpha1-runit-full (64bit) for testing

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23-alpha1-runit-full (64bit) for testing

Tagged: 

• This topic has 436 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated Mar 21-8:50 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 437 total)
  • Author
    PPC

I don’t mean to sound “pushy” about my own scripts, but I really do think that these scripts would add some value to the default antiX setup:
      – the script to connect to samba2 shared folders (I already made it available here, it was reported as not working, but I haven’t been able to test because my samba network at home is down)
      – the script to connect to cloud drives

Those 2 scripts give what I consider to be modern functionality to antiX, costing about 0 in system resources, since the dependencies are installed only if the user wants to use those functionalities…

As nice little extras:
      – the Weather script (it’s basically a on-liner, that opens a wttr.in window with the local weather, in the local language- users can check the weather without using a browser)
      – the News script (it allows users to check out local news headlines without a browser- if they click a link, it opens in the default browser).
      These 2 scripts are equivalent to some “gadgets” that most D.E.’s include, and cost just some kb of disk space, do not run in the background.

Scripts that may offer some nice funcionality:
      – My “Clocks” script offers a World clock, a very basic Stopwatch, Count down timers (that can sound an alarm or even suspend antiX when they reach 0), and and Alarm
      – My Agenda – it’s basically an extension to yad-agenda that pops up when users click the clock. It allows to add all day events, or timed events. Events for the current day are shown on the top of the calendar, days with events show up in a different colour and when users hover the mouse above those days, they see the events. Optionally, users can turn on the Alarm function. A tiny process runs in the background, and an alarm will sound at the exact time of the event. It looks about the same as the current yad agenda, but with an extra button, to search for events and another to enable/disable Alarms- they are off by default, to save system resources).

All this scripts, will their respective localization files take maybe a few hundreds of kb…

Once again, if you are interested in having any of this FT10 scripts in antiX, I can prepare them to be part of your yad-goddies, for example- adapting their names to avoid incompatibilities with FT10 (and, if those scripts are included in antiX, they will be removed in a future FT10 version).

P.

PPC

Please ad a check to the script, that makes sure no file can get trashed when 0 bytes are left on drive,

Nice idea. If anti agrees, I’ll try to add a check for, say less than 1 Gb of disk space… and display a warning that the user show delete the file/empty the trash can/???

I’m still thinking about how to do that, since the trash command is summoned straight from a zzzfm entry…

P.

Forum Admin
        anticapitalista

The refresh menu entry doesn’t need elevated privileges.
          I’ve been running it as such ever since we introduced it and have never had any issues.
          maybe once you start running it with elevated privileges, it then always needs it?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

sasa_

Will the beta release come out in March?

Forum Admin
            anticapitalista

Will the beta release come out in March?

Probably near the end of March

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

PPC

@anticapitalista and @Robin – I was thinking of adding something like this to the send to trash mini script:

percentage_free_space=$(df -h / |awk 'END{print}' |awk '{print $(NF-1)}'| rev | cut -c 2- | rev)
                limit=10
                if [ "$percentage_free_space" -gt "$limit" ]; then
                   result="you have more than $limit per cent of disk space free, its safe to try to send file to trash"
                   # command to send file to trash  
                  else
                   yad --center --title="ZzzFM" --text=" You have very low disk space, the file won't be sent to the Trash Can. \n Do you want to Delete file permantently or Empty the trash?" --button="Empty Trash":0 --button="Delete file(s)":1 
                fi
                Robin

@PPC

1.) This will only catch the free space on root folder. On live this is “overlay”, and it won’t match the drive where the problem actually happens, e.g. /dev/sdb or /dev/sda4. You need to catch for the free space on the very drive on which the file(s) to be trashed by the recent call of the script are actually stored on.

2.) I believe here can’t be used a percentage value, due to very different drive sizes: When applying to a 4 TB size drive there will be even plenty of free space (~20 GB) if the percentage value reads 100, while on a 250 GB drive 99 means there are only 2,5 GB space left still. But on Live the drive size of where the overlayed home folder resides in is dependent on the RAM size, which means: on a system with 2 GB RAM installed the drive will report a capacity of 1,6 GB and you’ll get a value of 99 only when ~16 MB are left, which can be critical already. Moreover the percentage value is rounded (or cut?) to zero decimal places, which means a huge threshold range. To put it in a nutshell, this percentage value is to be considered pretty unreliable for further calculation or decision. I’d propose to use a threshold derived from the fixed Byte value of free space left. Moreover this should not be a static threshold, but calculated as a quotient of the size of the files to be deleted and the free space left on the device. In my perception it would be ridiculous to let the user know he can’t trash some tiny files of together e.g. 1,5 KB while there is still 1015 MB free space left on the partition in question, or telling him he can’t trash some files of a few Gigabytes while 60GB are left.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

calciumsodium

In a previous post of mine, I tested the use of several browsers with the 6.1 liquorix kernel and the 6.1 antiX kernel.
                    Now I want to add data to include the use of the same browsers with the latest 5.10 antiX kernel.

I downloaded these latest browsers:

chromium 110.0.5481.177-1
                    firefox-esr 102.8.0esr-1
                    google-chrome-stable 110.0.5481.177-1
                    palemoon 32.0.0-1.gtk3.mx21
                    seamonkey amd64 2.53.15~mozillabinaries-1mx21+1

For each of these tests, I watched the youtube video on each of these browsers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS_VW8pdIec

For each browser, I waited until the CPU % stabilized and recorded the CPU %.
                    Then I rebooted to reset the computer for the next test.

These are my results:

liquorix 6.1.13-1 kernel     antiX 6.1.10 kernel     antiX 5.10.173
                    browser             CPU %                        CPU %                   CPU %
                    chromium            23 %                         36 %                    42 %
                    firefox-ESR         55 %                         65 %                    71 %
                    google-chrome       20 %                         32 %                    37 %
                    palemoon            87 %                         88 %                    94 %
                    seamonkey           82 %                         48 %                    70 %
                    mpv (360p)          8 %                          10 %                    10 %

The chromium browsers performed best on both the liquorix and the antiX kernels.
                    Palemoon did not perform well on any of these kernels.
                    MPV at 360p resolution was consistent on all these kernels.
                    The 6.1 antiX kernel seems to consistently perform better than the 5.10 antiX kernel on all these browsers.

This is my test system:
                    $ inxi -b
                    System:
                    Host: antix1 Kernel: 5.10.173-antix.1-amd64-smp arch: x86_64 bits: 64
                    Desktop: IceWM v: 3.3.1
                    Distro: antiX-23-runit_x64-full Grup Yorum 3 February 2023
                    Machine:
                    Type: Desktop System: Dell product: Inspiron 530 v: N/A
                    serial: <superuser required>
                    Mobo: Dell model: 0G679R v: A00 serial: <superuser required> BIOS: Dell
                    v: 1.0.18 date: 02/24/2009
                    CPU:
                    Info: dual core Intel Core2 Duo E7300 [MCP] speed (MHz): avg: 2449
                    min/max: 1600/2667
                    Graphics:
                    Device-1: Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics driver: i915
                    v: kernel
                    Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.6 driver: X: loaded: intel gpu: i915
                    resolution: 1680×1050~60Hz
                    OpenGL: renderer: i915 (: G33) v: 2.1 Mesa 22.3.3
                    Network:
                    Device-1: Intel 82562V-2 10/100 Network driver: e1000e
                    Device-2: Realtek RTL8188FTV 802.11b/g/n 1T1R 2.4G WLAN Adapter type: USB
                    driver: rtl8188fu
                    Drives:
                    Local Storage: total: 232.89 GiB used: 6.91 GiB (3.0%)
                    Info:
                    Processes: 130 Uptime: 0m Memory: 2.4 GiB used: 338.6 MiB (13.8%)
                    Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.19

Brian Masinick

I haven’t done any empirical tests of different browsers, but I have tested many Web browsers
                      using functional testing, where my functional tests are my every day use.

I’m really not stressing the browsers since what I do is pretty simple, but for me it
                      is practical because it typifies how I use the system, and that is, I generally read
                      Email using webmail clients for Yahoo Mail and Gmail, and I visit various forums,
                      predominantly Linux forums, such as the antiX Forum, the MX Linux Forum, the DistroWatch
                      forum, and so forth. I also check the weather report, search using a couple of common
                      search engines, DuckDuckGo and Google most of the time, visit a few financial sites,
                      my Credit Union, Amazon.com, etc.

So you can see that it is not particularly stressful, but it does use Javascript on many
                      of the pages, so if a browser changes something, that gets tested too. Once or twice
                      I’ve caught browser defects and reported them, so that definitely counts too, not only testing
                      our distribution, testing common every day activities, which therefore exercise the capabilities
                      of my local ISP, my computer, the software I am using and the sites I use, and it’s therefore
                      useful and practical.

I do hope that other people test in different ways, exercising common every day usage of the
                      things that they actually use and the work they perform.

If you are a programmer, test the compilers, linkers, and editors, along with whatever you
                      use in your workflow.

If you are a language translator as Marcelo and others are, exercise all of the tools as you
                      test our supported system and our test systems.

If we all collectively use our systems for whatever we do, that makes for an excellent
                      overall test suite!

--
                      Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

@calciumsodium: I enjoy seeing your browser and kernel testing.

It’s particularly interesting that you found an application – a YouTube video,
                        that exposes a wide performance variation with certain browser and kernel
                        combinations and it also shows a few browser weak points.

Good work! I look forward to any of the stuff you do; it’s creative, interesting and useful.

--
                        Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

By the way, I mentioned Javascript; a while back I tried one of the KDE browsers
                          and it had a few scenarios it had trouble handling; some, but not all, Javascript
                          commands exposed occasional problems with Yahoo Mail; can’t recall if Google Gmail
                          was exposed at the same time or not; I’ll check back on that when I can
                          get on a system with KDE and Konqueror or whatever I can find where I can test again…

--
                          Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

By the way, I mentioned Javascript; a while back I tried one of the KDE browsers
                            and it had a few scenarios it had trouble handling; some, but not all, Javascript
                            commands exposed occasional problems with Yahoo Mail; can’t recall if Google Gmail
                            was exposed at the same time or not; I’ll check back on that when I can
                            get on a system with KDE and Konqueror or whatever I can find where I can test again…

I’m trying Konqueror from OpenMandriva and so far it seems to be working fine; I haven’t stumbled across
                            any issue with this forum or yahoo yet…

--
                            Brian Masinick

Wallon

Dear all,

In the fr_BE version, control centre, the Firewall on/off button is not translated and does not work.
                              But hey, the icon is nice!

Best regards,
                              Wallon

Wallon

Dear all,

In the fr_BE version, App Select, the line for BleachBit (as root) does not work.

Best regards,
                                Wallon

Wallon

Dear All,

I have installed gufw and had activated it 2 or 3 days ago.

Now in the runit service manager software I see strange lines in the window.
                                  Item 1 – Status – Why a question mark?
                                  Item 2 – Startup – Why a question mark?
                                  Item 3 – Why is there a “To be activated” button?

I’m sorry if I’m asking silly questions. The other translators didn’t give me the manual.

Best regards,
                                  Wallon

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 437 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.