antiX-23-alpha1-runit-full (64bit) for testing

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23-alpha1-runit-full (64bit) for testing

Tagged: 

• This topic has 436 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated Mar 21-8:50 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 437 total)
  • Author
    calciumsodium

Hardware acceleration in browser:
      G31 – OpenGL 2 Video Card
      For PaleMoon, Seamonkey, Firefox <91 need OpenGL 2+ Video Cards
      For Firefox 92+ need OpenGL 3+ Video Cards
      For Chrome (Chromium) need OpenGL 2+ Video Cards
      Chrome (Chromium) automatically enabled hardware acceleration
      PaleMoon, Seamonkey, Firefox <91 need manually enabled hardware acceleration
      MPV enabled hardware acceleration OpenGL 2+

YouTube can show video in various codecs:
      AV1 – av01 very heavy
      AVC (H264) – avc1 fast
      VP9 – vp09 very fast

How To Activate and Use YouTube ‘Stats for Nerds’ Feature
      http://www.tutorialspoint.com/how-to-activate-and-use-youtube-stats-for-nerds-feature

addon “enhanced-h264ify”
      http://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/enhanced-h264ify/omkfmpieigblcllmkgbflkikinpkodlk?hl=en
      http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/enhanced-h264ify/

OK, now I “see” what you are saying.

I have been testing these browsers just “out of the box.”

What you are saying is that with some of these browsers, one has to manually fine tune specific settings to get the maximum performance.

I guess that is why I have mainly used the chromium-type browsers because they give the best performance just out of the box.

Manually fine tuning these settings will be new for me. It will be a learning curve and will take some time for me.

Thanks for sharing this information.

I think it will be useful for many people besides me.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by calciumsodium.
      marcelocripe

I can easily add a trash can on the desktop.
        However, there is no ‘Empty Trash’ function when clicking on it.

I usually include “Trash Bin” in the desktop and menu, as shown in the PPC tutorial Add “Recycle Bin” or “Trash” to antiX and from ZzzFM Settings with Recycle Bin and Favorites.

– – – – –

I can easily add a trash can on the desktop.
        However, there is no ‘Empty Trash’ function when clicking on it.

Isso já deve ser o suficiente para agradar aos usuários que estão acostumados com a lixeira.
        Eu costumo incluir na área de trabalho e no menu a “Lixeira”, conforme o exemplo do tutorial do PPC Adicionar “Reciclagem” ou “Lixeira” ao antiX e das Configurações do zzzFM com a Lixeira e os Favoritos.

grey_rat

I think it will be useful for many people besides me.

System requirements keep getting tougher
          example http://github.com/berkley4/ungoogled-chromium-debian/releases?page=1

ungoogled-chromium-libraries – probably needed (for GPU acceleration)
          Built using -march=x86-64-v2 -mtune=generic -mavx (should run on CPUs from 2011 onwards)

PPC

@anticapitalista – the new “session” file available in gitlab works great. The “Music” bookmark works, no bug when trying to edit Bookmarks! Every entry, except the “Trash” bookmark and “Send to Trash” contextual menu translates, using the latest version of my zzzlocalization script I have on my pendrive.
            Possible typo: currently the entry reads “Sent to Trash” and not “Send to Trash”. I assume that using the verb in the present is the correct tense?

Question: Should I wait until beta1 comes out, and only then think of a way to localize the Trash related entries? I localized, on Transifex, a Trash related file. That file can have 2 entries, that will allow us to localize what’s missing: add “Trash” and “Send to Trash”. The zzzfmlocalization script can read those strings and apply them to the localization of the bookmark and menu entry.

edit: Possible way to avoid localizing the Trash bookmark – use, instead of a bookmark to the folder, a bookmark that points to trash.desktop. That way the localized name of the Trash .desktop fill will appear in the bookmark… however, the contextual menu, to send files to the Trash would still require localization… So this seems not the be the best way.

I also think most people, me including, would prefer “single click” to be off by default, for the reasons I preciously mentioned.

I’ll try to think of a way to stop sending stuff to Trash when the disk is getting too full, taking into account Robin’s suggestions, but that may take a while…

@Everyone else – I think some people assume there will be stuff missing from Control Centre, etc in the Beta or the Final Version… From what anticapitalista said before I assume that won’t happen: every existing option (and a few extra ones) will be available, they just got redistributed through some packages, for better management- that leads to stuff missing when users update the Alpha, because they do not install the packages that now host the needed files (and that will be included by default in the Full version, out of the box).

Edit2: strange- line 425 of “Session” says “cstm_25a291d5-label=Send to Trash”. Yet I thinkh I got “sent to Trash”… maybe my eyes failed me?
            Edit3: got it – it was a typo I made in the zzzfmlocalization script I use to localize entries (it uses a temporary placeholder text, while we do not have localization files that the script can use). By the way “Restore” (meaning “Restore (from trash)” is already automatically localized, using a string that exists in zzzfm itself).

P.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by PPC.
            Forum Admin
            anticapitalista

@PPC – fixed the typo.
              If I start zzzfmlocalize in the IceWM start file everything is ok.
              However, if user chooses zzz-fluxbox, it does not get localized.
              So we either have to put zzzfmlocalize in every wm start file or put it in desktop-session/startup
              I have tested doing the latter and it fails to localize zzzFM if any zzz-* option is chosen,
              no doubt because desktop-session/startup runs after zzzfm has been set.
              If user boots with rox or plain wm, zzzFM is correctly localized.

Another thing.
              If user is running live/frugal with persistence, then we don’t need zzzfmlocalize to run at every boot,
              but it’s not a big deal if it does.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

PPC

@anticapitalista – my original idea was having the script on every startup file.
                To avoid always running it I can try the following: add, to zzzfmlocalize script something like:
                echo "localized" > ~/.config/zzzfm/zzzfm_already_localized

To create a file that confirms that zzzfmlocalize already did it’s thing once (so, there’s no need to run it again). If the script includes that line then, all that has to be added to the WM startup files would be something like this:

#Check if there's any need to run the script that localizes Zzz File Manager:
                if [ ! -f ~/.config/zzzfm/zzzfm_already_localized ]; then     zzzfmlocalize ; fi

(this would check if the zzzfmlocalize script already created the “flag” file (~/.config/zzzfm/zzzfm_already_localized), if not run zzzfmlocalize. If the “flag” file already exists, don’t run zzzfmlocalize again.

The “flag” file should NOT be carried over during install, just in case the user ran the installer in English but chooses to install in another language (ex: the user forgot to select the correct language in the second language option, during the live boot). I’m not sure how booting the live system in an language and install in another would mess with the names of the default folders that are created in home (downloads, documents, etc).

What do you thing about this option?

P.

Forum Admin
                anticapitalista

@PPC – the flag idea seem a good one.
                  But, there is an option in the installer to save changes made during the live session
                  so the flag file would need to be excluded

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Forum Admin
                  Dave

@PPC, I have not fully read the above posts; There is the first-run-script (/usr/local/lib/desktop-session/first-run-script) in desktop-session which uses a flag and is meant to run initialization commands on the first startup of the user account. This may help with the above localization of zzzfm as theoretically it only needs to be done once per user account. Also if all such scripts / commands are included in there, if there is an update or the localization is lost, the user (or script) could remove the finished-first-run (~/.desktop-session/finished-first-run) flag file to reset.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

PPC

@Dave and @anticapitalista – I think that solves the problem I mentioned:
                      we can add, to zzzfmlocalize, the line that writes the flag file, add the If-Fi line to each WM startup file, and add zzzfmlocalize to the first-run-script! It seems the perfect solution to me!

P.

Forum Admin
                      anticapitalista

If we add the flag line to zzzfmlocalize and the if/fi lines to each wm startup, we don’t need the line in the first-run-script.
                        Only adding zzzfmlocalize to the first-run-script doesn’t run the script or if it does, it doesn’t localize zzzFM.
                        When does the first-run-script run?

PPC

If we add the flag line to zzzfmlocalize and the if/fi lines to each wm startup, we don’t need the line in the first-run-script.

Usually we don’t. That’s a safe guard, in case the user booted live in English, installed in his own language and wants zzzfm localized.
                          I’m not sure, but I assume that would also apply is a new user, with a different locale is created- can that be done? I’m not sure, sorry for the dumb question.

We can go the other way around, and delete the flag file at first run, if that then makes zzzfmlocalize quick in and do it’s stuff (assumming the WM’s startup runs after that)… Sorry I’m a bit off my paygrade here, I’m just a simple GUI script and UX guy, trying to do my best…

P.

Forum Admin
                          anticapitalista

Many thanks to all your input. It is much appreciated.
                            I’m uploading antiX-23-beta1-runit-full (64bit) for testing and will open a new thread for feedback once it is available.

Xunzi_23

Cheeky, OT in this thread.
                              First Beta 1 Boot with Modern Kernel on I5, Nvidia Graphics and ICEWM.

Many thanks anticapitalista and all involved. More after exploring and customizing tomorrow :-).

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Xunzi_23.
                              Forum Admin
                              anticapitalista

Cheeky, OT in this thread.
                                First Beta 1 Boot with Modern Kernel on I5, Nvidia Graphics and ICEWM.

Many thanks anticapitalista and all involved. More after exploring and customizing tomorrow :-).

Nice, but that beta iso is going to be replaced in an hour or so.
                                You jumped the gun 🙂

Forum Admin
                                Dave

The first-run-script (/usr/local/lib/desktop-session/first-run-script) runs on the first use of desktop-session on a per user basis. After it has run desktop-session sets the finished-first-run ( ~/.desktop-session/finished-first-run ) flag file. If the finished-first-run flag file is present within the users home in the ~./desktop-session/ directory then desktop-session will see it and the first-run-script will NOT run or will be skipped. You are able to trigger desktop-session to run the first-run-script later on by removing the ~/.desktop-session/finished-first-run flag file then log in (or log out and back in).

I do have a file called /usr/local/lib/desktop-session/desktop-session-load-locales on my system but not in gitlab. Is this included in antiX?
                                  I will add it to my gitlab now and check for its inclusion within desktop-session later on in case it was a concept I was working on and forgot to include in the past.
                                  Otherwise if the system locale is different than the user locale, then the system locale may be incorrectly used during the first-run-script.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 437 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.