antiX-23 – based on Debian 12 Bookworm – ideas

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23 – based on Debian 12 Bookworm – ideas

• This topic has 207 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated May 19-5:57 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 208 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista

Thinking ahead for the next major version release which will be based on Debian 12 (bookworm).

* It will be free of systemd/libsystemd0 and elogind/libelogind0
      * As always, 4 window managers, 2 ‘desktops’
      * Ship with 2 kernels on full editions
      – 4.19 since 4.9 will be unsupported after Jan 2023
      – 6 series kernel – rumours have it that 6.1 will have long-term support
      * Possible change – default to zzzFM/IceWM rather than Rox-IceWM
      * Include a compositor out of the box? If so, which one?
      * New wallpaper and default themes for all window managers?
      * Others?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

PPC

Yes!

* ZZZFM as default File Manager? Great changes on the UX front, for new users, or even old users, that like zzzfm! (I do prefer zzzfm myself, even knowing that rox is in some ways far superior- but it’s simply too unconventional for me). Users that feel more confortable with rox (like Moddit and many others) probably have the know-how to go to the Control Centre and select rox instead of ZZZFM- it’s not a big deal, for people with some basic knowlegde about how antiX works. But it’s important to have a positive first impression on a new OS, and some antiX reviewers and new users complain about the default FM.
        – Small suggestion here- add the default Bookmarks (Downloads, etc)- my script to configure zzzfm on FT10 does that- I can send it over to you, in case it’s useful, or you can always simply edit the default configurations for each available locale and let the translation team take care of that)
        * Even today, a forum user asked for Kernel 6.1- refering that it had better memory managent on weaker devices- that would be great news- a more recent Kernel that runs better on antiX’s target devices? Great!
        * New wallpapers- that would be great, but not a priority – probably it’s best to add, on P.I. a package with all previous antiX wallpapers (there’s a similar file or package on the forum, somewhere)- You can call it something like “Extra Wallpapers”.
        If selecting new wallpapers, maybe something small, with both light and dark themes- some 3 wallpapers would be a nice default choice (times two, if light/dark themes are offered)
        * I’ll try to rework debinstaller, so antiX can offer a GUI to install off-line .deb packages (it’s the only basic task that antiX does not currently offer a GUI to)
        * Do you have any interest in that script to detect and automaticly connect to Samba2 shared folders?
        * Of course, include the new default apps, that Bob and Robin are working on…
        * Themes – Bob is working in a very cool IceWM theme. If I may, I would suggest cleaning some themes that are just plain horrible, and add some that look more like what most people are used to – ex: Windows 10 / Mac OS like, to please most crowds.
        * Compositor? – Yes, any light one would be great, like compton/xcompmgr, it costs some 200kb of ISO space or so, and solves some video problems – include any compositor, with a menu entry to toggle it on/off would be gold!
        * I know this is a big “no no” but I also suggest simply including, if ISO space allows, in the full version, Pulseaudio- off by default, but with a menu entry to toogle it on- it solves some 90% of audio problems on antiX – if included, a text about it in the installer, about it being a possible way to solve audio problems on some apps would be advisable.

Edit:
        Skidoo will probably return to the forum and smack me in the head for saying this but, here it goes: add a “Trash can” to zzzfm – it can be done without adding any dependency, just some config edits. This has some “pros” (Help!!! I delected something I really need by mistake!!!) and some “cons” (Help!!! my hard drive is full and I don’t know why! What? Why are those huge videos that I deleted taking up my disk space? Are you nuts? If I deleted them, I want them really deleted!!!)

Some minor suggestions, that are not antiX 23 specific – adding some more apps to P.I.- like Foliate e-book reader ( a package was compiled by the MX team), and more web browsers (probably the most installed apps, if I had to guess)- like LibreWolf and Min Browser; Xine Media player, that works wonders on some old hardware (it never failed me, but apparently it’s not the same across all older hardware). A nice, but strange addition would be adding OpenOffice.org’s appimage (with, off course, a .desktop file)- because, frankly it’s worse than LO, but, on old hardware, and it may take ages to load, but after that, it runs laps around LO…
        If add new bookmarks to zzzfm also add one for “Apps” – /usr/share/applications – that way the File Manager also can be used to quickly search and start apps (by name- because most .desktop files share their name with their respective application). I’ve been using this “trick” since my Spacefm days, but some users may complain that it’s overkill on the Bookmarks).
        Some extra bookmarks suggestions – A launcher for android usb devices- some users do ask here on the forum how to connect to their android devices

On the menu layout – simply place app-select on the first menu slot, it’s where most users expect a “search” field to be- if it’s not there, they don’t even bother reading the rest of the menu – yes people are lazy that way.

P.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by PPC.
        • This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by PPC.
        • This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by PPC.
        punranger

A small request, if it’s not too much work: I’d like to have the option to have a desktop with NO wallpaper, just a color picker. As it is now, if I want to have a single color desktop, I need to import an image.

antiX linux: The best way to revive an old computer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCTaUAP6sSg

olsztyn

Others?

Based on successful testing by @stevesr0 I would suggest to include pipewire implementation, to replace or supplement paulseaudio…
            Perhaps it is too much on the cutting edge, but consistent with new antiX ambition…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
            http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

olsztyn

A small request, if it’s not too much work: I’d like to have the option to have a desktop with NO wallpaper, just a color picker. As it is now, if I want to have a single color desktop, I need to import an image.

I do have ‘No Wallpaper’ option with color picker as it is now. Is it missing in your config?

Brian Masinick

Looking forward to it!

New kernel support is top on my list.

--
                Brian Masinick

ModdIt

ZZZFM as default File Manager?, no worries here. If it helps (less flexible :-)) users to transition, fine.

Better background images, please, some really hurt my eyes, standard here is still Metro..

Add a “Trash can” to zzzfm, I intensly dislike finding systems with hundreds of deleted files still around.

On a sad note, when skidoo went dark he was extremely sick with cancer and heading for Chemical therapy.
                  Not an easy person at times but brilliant mind and sadly missed.

LibreWolf please, maybe a good idea to remove UngoogledChromium from the package installer, the version it installs
                  is very outdated. Due changes to the spec by google may also become somewhat less attrictive in 2023. Seems ad and
                  tracker blocking will become less efficient. I will continue to use it but download portable version to stay up to date.

xnview in package installer might be a good idea. I find it quite useful for quick edits cropping and color correction.
                  It is print enabled and very fast to show thumbnails.

Audio, as long as pure alsa is easily available adding distortion=pulse pipewire or whatever no worry.

After todays multiple live boot fails with green screens, all antiX Kernel 5 versions on antiX 22 runit including the
                  testing versions crashed. The machine normaly runs well with modern kernels.
                  debian 5.18 and 5.19 work. Maybe version 6 will also be better.

A launcher for android usb devices- some users do ask here on the forum how to connect to their android devices, present
                  USB connect does not work on some devices. My Honor and Redmi Note are both affected and need a different script..

Modern hwmon enabled alternative conky would be nice for use with modern kernels/devices. (“subtle”, original hint came from male :-).

FT10 as an option, why not. And at least 4 desktops as standard, two get crowded quickly.

In ICEWM more standard applications in the taskbar so users quickly notice the efficiency rather than searching through seemingly endless
                  menu levels.

calciumsodium

From my experience, the broadcom-sta kernel module (present in antiX21 and antiX22), that uses the wl wifi driver, does not build on higher kernels such as kernels 5.19 and 6.0. I have tested it on the 5.19 debian kernels and on the 6.0 liquorix and xanmod1 kernels. However, I have found that the broadcom-wl kernel modules work well. So perhaps replace broadcom-sta with broadcom-wl kernel module in antiX23. Thanks.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by calciumsodium.
                    • This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by calciumsodium.
                    olsztyn

Do you have any interest in that script to detect and automaticly connect to Samba2 shared folders?

Yes, please. This script was developed by PPC (I think it was called SMBmap or something) and is very useful to discover SMB2 shares and connect to them. As it is now, it has not been available separately but only if you install FT10. I have it separate only because I was testing it during development.
                      It would be great if it worked with SMB1 too, but considering that there are fewer and fewer SMB1 servers it seems not much of an issue to not support SMB1.
                      Thanks PPC!

Forum Admin
                      anticapitalista

From my experience, the broadcom-sta kernel module (present in antiX21 and antiX22), that uses the wl wifi driver, does not build on higher kernels such as kernels 5.10 and 6.0. I have tested it on the 5.19 debian kernels and on the 6.0 liquorix and xanmod1 kernels. However, I have found that the broadcom-wl kernel modules work well. So perhaps replace broadcom-sta with broadcom-wl kernel module in antiX23. Thanks.

Where are the broadcom-wl modules in Debian?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

calciumsodium

Where are the broadcom-wl modules in Debian?

I found broadcom-wl from github:

http://github.com/antoineco/broadcom-wl

I downloaded the zip file and manually installed the kernel module via dkms per their instructions.

$ inxi -b
                          System:    Host: jakersfan Kernel: 6.0.0-6.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: IceWM 2.4.0 
                                     Distro: antiX-bullseye-b1_x64-full Grup Yorum 11 June 2021 
                          Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP ProBook 650 G1 v: A3009DD10203 
                                     serial: <root required> 
                                     Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 1993 v: KBC Version 16.39 serial: <root required> UEFI: Hewlett-Packard 
                                     v: L77 Ver. 01.21 date: 09/03/2014 
                          Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 49.6 Wh condition: 53.9/53.9 Wh (100%) 
                          CPU:       Dual Core: Intel Core i5-4200M type: MT MCP speed: 2501 MHz min/max: 800/2501 MHz 
                          Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
                                     Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
                                     OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 4600 (HSW GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 20.3.4 
                          Network:   Device-1: Broadcom and subsidiaries BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n driver: wl 

Attachments:
                          Forum Admin
                          anticapitalista

OK. just as I thought, Debian doesn’t have a ready made package. (though it links to broadcom-sta)????
                            That links suggests it is 64bit only.

oops

Thinking ahead for the next major version release which will be based on Debian 12 (bookworm).
                              ….
                              * Ship with 2 kernels on full editions
                              – 4.19 since 4.9 will be unsupported after Jan 2023
                              – 6 series kernel – rumours have it that 6.1 will have long-term support

* Others?

The two kernel options is a very good idea for the iso.
                              For the kernel 6.1 LTS, MGLRU is landed but not activated by default, so it will be better to activate it (LRU_GEN = Yes) if it is possible.

stevesr0

I would love a terminal on the desktop. I managed to do this on one computer, but now am not sure how I did it.

stevesr0

iznit

On the menu layout – simply place app-select on the first menu slot

This would be a handsome addition.

Add a “Trash can” to zzzfm, I intensly dislike finding systems with hundreds of deleted files still around.

Okay, the desktop session startup script could launch a checker. If trashbin contains more than xxMB [[[ or more than xx% ]]] files, popup an alert box and invite to inspect and or empty the trash.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 208 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.