antiX-23 – based on Debian 12 Bookworm – ideas

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23 – based on Debian 12 Bookworm – ideas

• This topic has 207 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated May 19-5:57 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 13 posts - 196 through 208 (of 208 total)
  • Author
    PPC

Quick opinion (my time is running out):
      I agree with both Brian and Robin – they both prove their points:
      – for someone that know how to do it, usually directly editing a text configuration file is the best and fastest way to change a configuration (with some very rare exception)
      – unfortunately, operating systems are usually English center – all of IceWM’s preferences variables make sense, particularly if you read the comments… But that implies you can understand the language the variable names and comments is written in… For those persons, using a localized GUI is the best and sometimes, the only way to make a simple edition to a config file…

each antiX version provides more and more GUI’s to do the most basic (and some advanced) tasks- that is nice, for ease of use (most people do not use the command line or edit config files manually) and also allows people that do not understand English to easily work with antiX…

Back on track – I have a proposal, that probably Robin already thought about: create a “config file” that stores the current workspace names. When reducing the number of work spaces, no big deal, just save the variable shaving off the latest workspace name to the “preferences” file… If adding a workspace, count the number of work spaces. If a new one is added, check the “config file” if there’s a name stored there that matches the new workspace position (second, third, etc). And use that. If not, just let the new workspace be called a number, and the user has to edit it, if need be.
      Personal note: I do not dislike the idea that, if I delete a workspace, I also delete it’s name. If I want to re-add a new workspace, I do so and rename it again, from a number to whatever I want, I do not think it’s “too much” work, and it seems to be the same reasoning that the IceWM Devs used – if you want to trash a work space, it’s because you do not want it… Why waste resources storing the name of an unwated workspace?
      I hope my reasoning makes sense. I conside the IceWM devs geniuses- I think it’s the Window Manager that provides the more choices and options, out of the box. The way antiX sets it up, and the costumization it includes (like TIM, and Bob’s scripts to memorize window position and provide a recent files menu entry, the workspace script we are talking about, the script that allows users to select the accent color, etc, etc, it’s almost as feature packed as a D.E.

P.

Brian Masinick

Regarding 1378 lines of text in the preferences file, one of the first things I do with my file is to consider which of the resources I actually intend to use, then I generally get rid of the rest. Should I ever want to recover them, they are freely available from the IceWM template directory, which is the place from which I populated my personal copy in the first place.

Secondly, you never want to change the names of the resources; that makes no sense.

All that makes sense is to translate the comments, and I recommend using the template source only to do that. Then when users grab their own copies, it ought to be possible to read the localized comments.

When these comments are translated, then people who speak a variety of languages will be able to read the comments and theoretically understand what it means, assuming they also invest time into learning the software too.

--
        Brian Masinick

Robin

antiX workspace manager script has been updated to store new workspace count permanently within the icewm preferences file.

Download ver. 0.3 for testing: script file from gitlab.

Setup:
          1.) Put the script into the /usr/local/bin folder and make it executable (e.g. sudo chmod …)

2.) Add the line
          antiX-workspace-manager -s &
          to your ~/.desktop-session/startup file. This line is needed since IceWM won’t set the workspace count on startup the way you had it before leaving the former session. This way the antiX-workspace-manager script itself will care for the proper workspace count displayed. If no preset was done before (or no preferences file was found), it will gracefully do nothing when used with the -s command line option.

Once the additions are proven to work reliable I’ll send a merge request to anticapitalista.

So please let me know whether you encounter any issues with the updated version.

Possibly we’ll have to move the permanent storage of the workspace count and names to an private config file later on, just as PPC had suggested some postings above, in case the very data is needed for the other window managers as well. This move won’t be difficult then.

Best regards
          Robin

——————

P.S.:

When these comments are translated, then people who speak a variety of languages will be able to read the comments and theoretically understand what it means,

I didn’t want to suggest all the comment lines in this file should be actually translated to all hundred languages… this would blow up the file, and in the end nobody would be able to use it. (I remind you of the unbelievable chaos on some of recent sales packaging or within product manuals in EU: Each sentence or short paragraphe is repeated in ~20 languages, preceded by the language identifier. Then the next sentence or paragraphe follows, again with ~20 translations… Who does have the patience to search the start of the next sentence in your language?)

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

PPC

@Robin- it seems to work on a preliminary test!

Suggestion – make adding the entry to the startup file automaticaly, by adding something like this to the start of the script (adapted from my icewm manager GUI):

text="antiX-workspace-manager -s &"
            file=$HOME/.desktop-session/startup
            #Check if string exists in  file, if it does not, add it:
            if cat $file | grep ^antiX-workspace-manager; then
               echo text found, no need to add it
            else
               # echo text not found, add text to file
                echo ${text} >> $file
            fi
            Robin

make adding the entry to the startup file automaticaly

Great idea, @PPC. I’ll add this. Many thanks!

calciumsodium

Many of us use mpv. There are many scripts to configure mpv.

I am suggesting that antiX23 come with a simple mpv.conf file already present in the ~/.config/mpv folder that contains the minimum to allow any user to use without any difficulty.

The contents of this ~/.config/mpv/mpv.conf file may contain:

#Simple mpv configuration
                #resolutions include: 240, 360, 480, 720, 1080, 1440, 2160
                #Just uncomment (remove #) the following line to get 360p resolution. Modify resolution number if necessary.
                #ytdl-format=bestvideo[height<=?360][fps<=?30][vcodec!=?vp9]+bestaudio/best[height<=360]

I tested this mpv.conf file in antiX19, 21, and 23 b1. Works good.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by calciumsodium. Reason: Tested in antiX19, 21, and 23 b1
                Robin

Just a hint:

[fps<=?30]

This will cause many European TV live streams and their streamed mediathek video files to fail, since they meanwhile rely completely on the EBU (European Broadcast Union) documents requesting for usage of an fps of 50 instead of 25. The German ARD (and all their attached stations) for example has switched all their streams to 50 fps already, causing weak CPUs to power up to 70-90% resource usage (instead of 5-15% CPU usage when playing the 25 fps 720p material we had before), without any better image quality now.

The fps <= 30 restriction will cause to make mpv fail on all these streams, there simply is no candidate matching this criterion.

Random example for currently available streams:

ID       EXT RESOLUTION FPS │   FILESIZE   TBR PROTO │ VCODEC        VBR ACODEC    ABR
                  ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
                  hls-383  mp4 480x270     50 │ ~377.12MiB  384k m3u8  │ avc1.4d401e  384k mp4a.40.2  0k
                  hls-568  mp4 640x360     50 │ ~558.84MiB  568k m3u8  │ avc1.4d401f  568k mp4a.40.2  0k
                  hls-918  mp4 960x540     50 │ ~903.38MiB  919k m3u8  │ avc1.4d401f  919k mp4a.40.2  0k
                  hls-1516 mp4 1280x720    50 │ ~  1.46GiB 1516k m3u8  │ avc1.640020 1516k mp4a.40.2  0k
                  hls-2779 mp4 1920x1080   50 │ ~  2.67GiB 2779k m3u8  │ avc1.64002a 2779k mp4a.40.2  0k

PPC

@Robin – On trying to find a way to manage JWM virtual desktops/workspaces:

I tried reading JWM config files, official documentation, over at http://joewing.net, etc… and I end up finding out how to change the number of workspaces here (literally here, in the forum): https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/how-do-you-set-the-number-of-desktops-workspaces-in-jwm/

Joe seems to do his own thing, not giving a crap if it’s logical or even documenting it decently – he produces a great a light window manager, but it’s configuration is almost impossible to figure out, and usually extremely hard to script. Fortunately, not so, in what concerns how many workspaces/ virtual desktops are available, as long as you know what you need to edit. Inside JWM’s “preferences” file, there’s a line:
                    <Desktops height="1" width="2">
                    Changing the value of the variable “width” changes how many Virtual Desktops are available… Sure, Joe, it makes sense! Clearly “width” means “number of virtual desktops”, thanks for making your Window Manager so easy to configure!
                    I did not find out how to rename those desktops, they seem to be referred always by their number, I assume it’s possible to rename them (since the config file state “Desktop tags can be contained within Desktops for desktop names”). I think that if I even contact Joe and ask about that, he would reply something like, it’s easy, edit a variable called “latitude”! 🙂

I assume knowing this will help manage, using sed, the number of available virtual desktops. JWM always needs to be restarted, so the change produces effects, with “jwm -restart”.

Edit: Nope, not that easy… sigh… I got curious about that first “height” variable and changed it to 2… Hilarious! Joe’s way if dealing with Virtual Desktops is uncomon at best- he seems to let it be an infinite number of virtual desktops, and this options simply show a grid, allowing access to them. If you have height=1 and width=2, you’ll get something I wish I could do in IceWM: Two virtual desktops, available from the toolbar, one on top of the other, a small column with 2 stories, that takes up very little space on the toolbar. However, height=2 and width=2, logically creates a (2 by 2) grid of 4 virtual desktops, etc…
                    Abandon all hope you that enter here… I think either we do not create a GUI to manage JWM’s Virtual Desktops, or if we do, we force height=1 and edit only width… A more complex way to do this is something like this:
                    if user selects 1 desktop: height=1 and width=1
                    if user selects 2 desktop: height=2 and width=1 (because it takes less space)
                    if user selects 3 desktops: height=1 and width=3
                    if user selects 4 desktops: height=2 and width=2
                    From then on, allow only allow only multiples of 2, and edit only “width”

P.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by PPC.
                    Forum Admin
                    Dave

Abandon all hope you that enter here… I think either we do not create a GUI to manage JWM’s Virtual Desktops, or if we do, we force height=1 and edit only width… A more complex way to do this is something like this:
                      if user selects 1 desktop: height=1 and width=1
                      if user selects 2 desktop: height=2 and width=1 (because it takes less space)
                      if user selects 3 desktops: height=1 and width=3
                      if user selects 4 desktops: height=2 and width=2
                      From then on, allow only allow only multiples of 2, and edit only “width”

@PPC, @Robin
                      If this is the method to determine height… better to have one if statement based on odd or even like

if [[ $((number-of-desktops  % 2)) = 0 ]]; then  
                          echo "even"; 
                          width=$((number-of-desktops / 2))
                          sed ....height="2" width="$width".....;
                      else 
                          echo "odd"; 
                          sed ....height="1" width="$number-of-desktops".....;
                      fi 

or if lets say for numbers greater than 6 desktops you would automatically want 2 rows regardless of odd or even value… change the if statement to something like
                      if [[ $((number-of-desktops % 2)) = 0 || "$number-of-desktops" -ge 7 ]]; then

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Brian Masinick

@Robin – On trying to find a way to manage JWM virtual desktops/workspaces:

Joe seems to do his own thing, not giving a crap if it’s logical or even documenting it decently – he produces a great a light window manager, but it’s configuration is almost impossible to figure out, and usually extremely hard to script. Fortunately, not so, in what concerns how many workspaces/ virtual desktops are available, as long as you know what you need to edit. Inside JWM’s “preferences” file, there’s a line:
                        <Desktops height="1" width="2">
                        Changing the value of the variable “width” changes how many Virtual Desktops are available… Sure, Joe, it makes sense! Clearly “width” means “number of virtual desktops”, thanks for making your Window Manager so easy to configure!

P.

I see that Dave has already addressed a helpful algorithm; I doubt that I would have much to contribute there anyway, but I have figured out in the past that the number of desktop entries is altered by “width”; I’d have to go back into a configuration to see which resource changes the NAME of each desktop, whereas the WorkspaceNames= entry clearly identifies a string that may contain either numbers, short names, or a combo, so that’s easy and clear, at least to me in the ~/.icewm/preferences file.

--
                        Brian Masinick

PPC

antiX is getting more user friendly than ever, and best of all, without that costing any extra system resources- some simple GUI scripts and tiny changes in config files, make it look and feel almost like any modern computer user expects it to.
                          Most of it’s essential features can be changed or configured by simple GUI’s, and that’s a plus, since it’s almost useless having an OS packed full of features, but so hard to use that most people can’t do it…
                          That said, I propose some tiny changes (one of them requires adding a package):

– Including a “Weather app”- the heavy lifting is already done, since FT10 includes a script that opens a tweaked roxterm window that displays the weather in wttr.in, in your local and in your own language, and it already includes a multilingual .desktop file. This would be handy for folks that need it, and something that users that do not require can simply ignore, that just takes some kbs on the hard drive… If this comes out of the box, my suggestion would be to include it’s icon on the toolbar by default, so users know it’s there, a click away (since many users do not explore the menu, nor search for stuff with our excelent app-select)
                          – Including, by default skippy-xd – I’ve talked many times about it- it’s a tiny (200kb or so) app that displays real time thumbnails of all non minimized windows (used on the current workspace) and allows you to switch to any window. It’s pure “bling”, but it not just looks nice, but it can useful sometimes (it was to me, on the past, now I do not rely as much on it as I once did). Once again, if included by default, this app should really be on the default icewm and jwm toolbar, right next to the menu and show desktop buttons. It runs even on slow 32bits computers
                          – I also suggested it here, I think, include a GUI to easily connect to samba shared folders (that may be handy for some particular users, and only installs any dependencies if needed, on first run).

Any of this ideas being incorporated in antiX 23 would be a nice outcome.

Edit: I forgot about this suggestion (that was really my main one):
                          The recent Fluxbox version offered in antiX allows for toolbar buttons. This means that fluxbox users can have a real “Menu” button, a “show desktop” button but also any “text button” (please note, NOT ICONS) on the toolbar. I even devised a way to use the symbola font to use glyphs as general purpose “icons” on the toolbar (like File Manager, Web Browser, Apps-store/Package Installer, Eject button, Exit button, search button, etc, etc…
                          Just in case the Dev team wants to stick close to the original fluxbox setup, adding 4 lines to flubox’s default “init” file, and editing the toolbar variable is enough to give fluxbox users a “Menu” and a “_” (show desktop) buttons:

###Toolbar buttons/quicklaunchers
                          session.screen0.toolbar.button.togshowdesk.commands: ToggleCmd {ShowDesktop (Title!=conky)} {exec DeIconify all}
                          session.screen0.toolbar.button.togshowdesk.label: _
                          session.screen0.toolbar.button.homenu.commands: : ToggleCmd {Rootmenu} {HideMenus}
                          session.screen0.toolbar.button.homenu.label: Menu

and then edit the session.screen0.toolbar.tools entry to start like this (keeping the rest of it’s contents)
                          session.screen0.toolbar.tools: button.homenu, button.togshowdesk,

For this config file to produce effects, all that’s needed is to restart fluxbox, and presto, you have a “regular” toolbar. If you do not like those buttons, you can simply edit them out of the “toolbars.tools” line…
                          No extra resources used, and we have all 3 floating window managers with more similar defaults (I can make available here the config files required to have “pseudo-icons”, all that’s needed for it work is having the symbola font installed- I had it on my antiX 22, but I do not think it’s standard)

P.

PPC

I’m trying do to everything I need to do on antiX before the weekend, so here’s one more idea. I hope I’m not too repetitive, but it makes sense to have the GUI to configuring something inside from what’s being configured (ex: it makes sense that icewm toolbar manager is by default on the toolbar) so, I suggest that the GUI to manage the Personal Menu (/usr/local/bin/icewm-quick-personal-menu-manager) should be the first entry on IceWM’s Personal Menu- making it much more intuitive to manage it (since, you know, IceWM does not allow drag and drop of stuff from the menu, having an easily available GUI is the next best thing in terms of User Experience).

P.

Brian Masinick

I’m trying do to everything I need to do on antiX before the weekend, so here’s one more idea. I hope I’m not too repetitive, but it makes sense to have the GUI to configuring something inside from what’s being configured (ex: it makes sense that icewm toolbar manager is by default on the toolbar) so, I suggest that the GUI to manage the Personal Menu (/usr/local/bin/icewm-quick-personal-menu-manager) should be the first entry on IceWM’s Personal Menu- making it much more intuitive to manage it (since, you know, IceWM does not allow drag and drop of stuff from the menu, having an easily available GUI is the next best thing in terms of User Experience).

P.

That sounds reasonable PPC; I’d be glad to try out your latest idea when you have a chance to implement it.

--
                              Brian Masinick

Viewing 13 posts - 196 through 208 (of 208 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.