antiX-23 – based on Debian 12 Bookworm – ideas

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23 – based on Debian 12 Bookworm – ideas

• This topic has 207 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated May 19-5:57 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 208 total)
  • Author
    PPC

@anticapitalista: sorry- I do not know if it’s appropriated to leave here scripts that I suggest may be included in antiX or in antiX’s Package Installer, but here it goes:
      my “antix-shares” script, that automatically tries to locate SMB2 shared folders on the local network and then opens a GUI to select a Shared folder and to enter credentials (if no credentials are needed simply press enter) and then opens the shared folder on the default File Manager.
      There is no need to know the IP of the “PC acting as Server” to connect to it.
      Dependencies: smbclient, nmap (and also already included in antiX full) yad – as is, the script, when it’s run, tries to check for the dependencies and, if they are not present, it offers the choice to install them from the repo. If the script is packaged as a .deb file, there is no need for those routines, simply declare the dependencies, that they will always be installed, when you install this script.

I also have a multilingual .desktop file (that I adapted from another package, I forgot wich one) for this script, that makes it available from the menu.
      If this is ever included by default in antix Full, I advise to have that .dekstop “Bookmarked” in ZZZFM, offering similar ease of use to connected to a shared folder to what many OSes offer out of the box, but with minimal resource usage. I made the script so there’s no need to localize it – I think all icons and images are self explanatory…

My opinion- I use this all the time at home- but most antiX users probably don’t connect regulary to SMB2 shares, so, it’s probably better to package this script as a .deb file, put it in the repo and make it available in the Package Installer – that way, there’s no “bloat”, but that functionality is a couple of clicks away, if needed…

I’ll try to adapt “debinstaller” and leave it here, for your appreciation

P.

ModdIt

Thanks iznit,

If trashbin contains more than xxMB [[[ or more than xx% ]]] files, popup an alert box and invite to inspect and or empty the trash.

good idea

Would it be possible to add a low free memory in home warning to that.

Reason several calls to fix devices which failed to start. After checking with a live stick, deleting chrome cache then moving Videos files and photos to a backup
        device fixed. the problem.
        Most kids and students have max 128 GB SSD fitted, that fills up fast, especialy on shared devices in less affluent familys.

Further useful to many users would be a gui tool to set papersize in etc and home. Many countrys need size a4 or other rather than the standard setup us letter.
        Most applications read /etc/papersize, for a per user setup adding papersize file to home is useful.

PPC

@iznit – I in fact thought about a similar solution – and also automaticly deleting files is the trash can, if they are older than 1 month – like some e-mail services and some android apps do.- Having thar on the startup would slow antiX’s start for a couple of seconds or more, on slower devices- I never implemented this because I never needed it- I’m used to, since my windows 3.1 days, to check the trash can and empty it regulary- this could be implemented in ft10, but I do not think that anticapitalist will welcome that proposed change- like I said in my proposal, it has pros and cons…

@anticapitalista – Marcelocripe and Bob worked on debinstaller’s localization and sent the updated version to me- to have debinstaller included in antiX without conflicting with ft10, I renamed it “debinstaller-antix”. If you like that proposal, we already have a .desktop file ready (I adapted the one from ft10’s to reflect the new script’s name). BUT I would have to adapt and test the localization file’s folder and string name… As is, in the attached file, debinstaller-antix is a nice “semi-gui” that allows to install off-line .deb packages without having to interact with the terminal ( similar to the way antiX-updater works). Even without localization, the two main buttons (to install or to purge an already installed package) are self explanatory, but it’s best to have a fully localized app…

Edit: I also fixed the debinstaller’s title bar icon- it’s the “debian logo”, and it now displays correctly on antiX 22, making the app look minimal, but also polished

Edit2: I don’t mean to sound repetitive, but it would probably be a good idea to add debinstaller-antiX (with it’s .desktop file) to antix-goodies, making it available to any user that preferes a (semi) GUI way to install .deb’s, not only on future antiX’s version but on currently existing ones! The script is only 110 lines, and with no dependencies other than apt, dpkg-deb and yad.

P.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by PPC.
          oops

“my “antix-shares” script, that automatically tries to locate SMB2 shared folders on the local network and then opens a GUI to select a Shared folder and to enter credentials (if no credentials are needed simply press enter) and then opens the shared folder on the default File Manager.”

Nice addition PPC, I like your user friendly script.

EDIT: But did not work if the share name has a space (ex: “my share”)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by oops.
            PPC

In ICEWM more standard applications in the taskbar so users quickly notice the efficiency rather than searching through seemingly endless
              menu levels.

I agree 100% – I suggest a setup similar to mine, in IceWM:
              ToolbarIconManager (how many users asked here how to manage toolbar icons? It makes sense, to manage the toolbar icons from the toolbar itself)
              Searchmonkey (folks got used to search from the toolbar in the last decade or so)
              (Optional suggestion, just to cover all the bases – app-select, so, you know, users can also search for apps without needing the menu)
              File Manager
              Web Browser
              E-mail client
              Package Installer
              AntiX Updater
              LibreOffice Writer (on the full version- I think that icewm toolbar does not display an entry, if it can’t find the binary, but don’t quote me on that)
              Exit session

I think some 80%+ users would almost never need to navigate the menu, most of the time, specially if they use antiX for office work…

P.

marcelocripe

Thinking ahead for the next major version release which will be based on Debian 12 (bookworm).

First of all, my big thanks to you, the dev team, the programmers for creating, maintaining and updating antiX Linux.

* It will be free of systemd/libsystemd0 and elogind/libelogind0
                * As always, 4 window managers, 2 ‘desktops’
                * Ships with 2 kernels on full editions

It’s always great to be free of systemd/libsystemd0 and elogind/libelogind0, to have the various options and combinations of window managers available in antiX, and to be able to boot with two different kernel options for the full ISOs that increase compatibility with different types of computers.

– 4.19 since 4.9 will be unsupported after Jan 2023
                – 6 series kernel – rumors have it that 6.1 will have long-term support

This information makes me a little worried about “planned obsolescence” if this series 6 kernel is not compatible with computers that are more than 15 or 20 years old. But, it seems, it is inevitable that our Debian base will always advance in the direction of “planned obsolescence”. I have no idea how you’re going to get around this situation.

* Possible change – default to zzzFM/IceWM rather than Rox-IceWM

I support and want this change from the default Rox-IceWM to become zzzFM-IceWM. This change will be aimed at NEW USERS and does not affect anything for those of us who are familiar with the menus and options available in antiX. Before people complain against , please zzzFM-IceWM being the new standard, I ask you to think about new users when they come across ROX-Filer and don’t know how to handle this excellent file manager and misjudge antiX from hastily because they don’t know the various options that are available in antiX.

* Include a composer out of the box? If so, which one?

I don’t know what is the importance and usefulness of this feature and so I don’t know how to give any kind of opinion on this question.

* New wallpaper and default themes for all window managers?

I like the idea and suggest including the wallpapers from all previous editions of antiX. If this makes the ISO too large, which I find difficult to do due to the size of these images being small, then just the default wallpaper image from each of the previous editions of antiX.

* Others?

My suggestions are mixed with requests, please check the possibility and feasibility of them being implemented or not.

Requests and suggestions:
                -Use all the latest translations available from the official Transifex and from the Transifex contribs.

-Use all the latest translations available in Transifex contribs/GitLab for .desktop files, especially .desktop files that are native antiX programs.

-For examples: SearchMonkey translations have been in Transifex contribs since January 2022 and could have already entered the updates. The “recent files” program (antiX recent files dynamic menu) which was reworked by BobC is also available on Transifex contribs since October 2022, the languages ​​that are translated are: fr, fr_BE, de, el, it, pt, pt_BR, ru. Unfortunately, our team of translators is limited to these languages, as it is difficult to find people willing to be volunteer translators.

-Can we translate the antiX updater?

-Use the latest version of the desktop-menu script which is very close to perfection. (Dave was working on getting the desktop-menu completed so we can use all the .desktop files translated by our community in the antiX menus).

-Use Debinstaller as GUI for installing .deb packages in antiX 22. BobC managed to make improvements to the program developed by PPC with regard to translations. I was able to successfully test the pt-BR language translations and see the warning windows working, except for the error windows that I couldn’t simulate to be absolutely sure that everything is working. I have submitted the latest version of Debinstaller reworked by BobC to PPC and I believe it is important to do another second language translation test. if everything works

Suggestions:

-Use in antiX 23 the wallpapers from previous antiX editions, from the first to the 22nd edition.

-FT10 available at full ISO. FT10 appears to be a “14 option window manager with file manager”, user toggles it on or off with just one click on the menu.

-The possibility of using antixscreenshot2.sh which is ready and has been updated by BobC and Robin, because this version has several very interesting features (just learn to speak…).

-The base ISO will still fit on a CD. I just don’t know how this will be possible with the increasing size of programs and controllers.

My main order:

Please create ways for antiX Linux to stay alive, even when we are no longer here. Unfortunately, people will inevitably get sick and die one day, as antiX Linux can live on for generations to come and live on forever.

marcelocripe
                (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese language)

– – – – –

Thinking ahead for the next major version release which will be based on Debian 12 (bookworm).

Antes de mais nada, o meu muito obrigado a você, a equipe de desenvolvedores, aos programadores por criarem, manterem e atualizarem o antiX Linux.

* It will be free of systemd/libsystemd0 and elogind/libelogind0
                * As always, 4 window managers, 2 ‘desktops’
                * Ship with 2 kernels on full editions

É sempre muito bom estarmos livres do systemd/libsystemd0 e do elogind/libelogind0, ter as várias opções e as combinações de gerenciadores de janelas disponíveis no antiX e ainda a possibilidade de inicializar com duas opções de kernels diferentes para as ISOs full que aumentam a compatibilidade com os diversos tipos de computadores.

– 4.19 since 4.9 will be unsupported after Jan 2023
                – 6 series kernel – rumours have it that 6.1 will have long-term support

Esta informação me deixa um tanto quanto preocupado com a “obsolescência programada” caso esta série 6 do kernel não tenha compatibilidade para os computadores com mais de 15 ou 20 anos de fabricação. Mas, ao que parece, é inevitável o avanço da nossa base Debian sempre na direção da “obsolescência programada”. Eu não tenho ideia de como você vai conseguir contornar esta situação.

* Possible change – default to zzzFM/IceWM rather than Rox-IceWM

Eu apoio e desejo que esta alteração do padrão Rox-IceWM passe a ser o zzzFM-IceWM. Esta alteração será destinada aos NOVOS USUÁRIOS e não atrapalha em nada para nós que conhecemos os menus e as opções disponíveis no antiX. Antes que as pessoas reclamarem se manifestando contra o , por favor zzzFM-IceWM ser o novo padrão, eu peço para pensarem nos novos usuários quando se deparam com o ROX-Filer e não sabem manusear este excelente gerenciador de arquivos e julgam mal o antiX de forma precipitada por não conhecerem as diversas opções que estão disponíveis no antiX.

* Include a compositor out of the box? If so, which one?

Eu não sei qual é a importância e utilidade deste recurso e por isso eu não sei dar qualquer tipo de opinião sobre esta pergunta.

* New wallpaper and default themes for all window managers?

Eu gosto da ideia e sugiro incluir os papéis de parede de todas as edições anteriores do antiX. Se isso deixar a ISO muito grande, o que eu acho difícil de acontecer devido ao tamanho destas imagens serem pequenos, então apenas a imagem padrão do papel de parede de cada uma das edições anteriores do antiX.

* Others?

As minhas sugestões se misturam com pedidos, por favor, verifique a possibilidade e a viabilidade de serem implementadas ou não.

Pedidos e sugestões:
                -Utilizar todas as traduções mais recentes disponíveis no Transifex oficial e do Transifex contribs.

-Utilizar todas as traduções mais recentes disponíveis no Transifex contribs/GitLab para os arquivos .desktop, em especial os arquivos .desktop que são dos programas nativos do antiX.

-Por exemplos: As traduções do SearchMonkey estão no Transifex contribs desde janeiro de 2022 e já poderiam ter entrado nas atualizações. O programa “recent files” (antiX recent files dynamic menu) que foi retrabalhado pelo BobC também está disponível no Transifex contribs desde outubro de 2022, os idiomas que estão traduzidos são: fr, fr_BE, de, el, it, pt, pt_BR, ru. Infelizmente a nossa equipe de tradutores estão limitados a estes idiomas, haja vista que é difícil encontrar pessoas dispostas a serem tradutores voluntários.

-Nós podemos traduzir o atualizador do antiX?

-Utilizar a versão mais recente do script desktop-menu que está muito próximo da perfeição. (O Dave estava trabalhando para que o desktop-menu seja concluído, assim poderemos utilizar todos os arquivos .desktop traduzidos pela nossa comunidade nos menus do antiX).

-Utilizar o Debinstaller como GUI para a instalação de pacotes .deb no antiX 22. O BobC conseguiu fazer as melhorias no programa desenvolvido pelo PPC no que diz respeito às traduções. Eu consegui testar com sucesso as traduções em idioma pt-BR e ver funcionando as janelas de avisos, exceto as janelas de erros que eu não consegui simular para ter certeza absoluta de que tudo está funcionando. Eu enviei para o PPC a versão mais recente do Debinstaller retrabalhado pelo BobC e acredito que seja importante fazer outro teste de tradução de um segundo idioma. Se tudo funcionar

Sugestões:

-Utilizar no antiX 23 os papéis de parede das edições anteriores antiX, desde a primeira até a edição 22.

-O FT10 disponível na ISO full. O FT10 parece ser uma “14 opção de gerenciador de janelas com gerenciador de arquivos”, o usuário ativa ou desativa com apenas um clique no menu.

-A possibilidade de utilizar o antixscreenshot2.sh que está pronto e foi atualizado pelo BobC e o Robin, porque esta versão possui diversas funcionalidades muito interessantes (só falta aprender falar…).

-A ISO base continuar cabendo em um CD. Eu só não sei como isso será possível com o tamanho cada vez maior dos programas e dos controladores.

O meu pedido principal:

Por favor, crie meios do antiX Linux continuar vivo, mesmo quando nós não estivermos mais aqui. Infelizmente, as pessoas inevitavelmente adoecerão e morrerão um dia, já o antiX Linux pode continuar vivo para as próximas gerações e viver eternamente.

marcelocripe
                (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

marcelocripe

On a sad note, when skidoo went dark he was extremely sick with cancer and heading for Chemical therapy.
                  Not an easy person at times but brilliant mind and sadly missed.

My prayers for Skidoo and that he can overcome this cruel disease.

– – – – –

On a sad note, when skidoo went dark he was extremely sick with cancer and heading for Chemical therapy.
                  Not an easy person at times but brilliant mind and sadly missed.

Minhas orações ao Skidoo e que ele possa superar esta doença cruel.

Forum Admin
                  anticapitalista

Re – translations.

The ones in antiX-contribs include a huge number of languages that have only been machine-translated.
                    They have not been checked (unfortunately).
                    The translations over at antiX transifex, are in the most part written by humans.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

ModdIt

PPC wrote standards for menu bar should include
                      – File Manager
                      – Web Browser
                      – E-mail client
                      – Package Installer
                      – AntiX Updater
                      – LibreOffice Writer (on the full version- I think that icewm toolbar does not display an entry, if it can’t find the binary, but don’t quote me on that)
                      – Exit session

I am a little unsure on E Mail client, I really like claws and set it up for users, others want thunderbird or seamonkey suite of applications.
                      LO gets an entry in the menu if it is installed from LO Org as debs using apt. Sometimes it needs setting to show using control center.

Would add leafpad for note taking and SMtube as a more efficient way to watch youtube videos.

If Firefox ESR remains the included browser it would be nice to have it setup with opt on for telemetry experiments datareporting search suggestions etc rather
                      than opt out. Nice to have a little script to remove a choice of hidden extensions, especialy screenshot as exploitable. sybok is looking at improving my very
                      clumsy but working efforts.

PPC

I am a little unsure on E Mail client

Hi, Moddit – when I talked about File Manager, Web Browser and E-mail client, I was refering to icons to the default apps that do those tasks- so you can select claws or thunderbird, etc, as default E-mail client, and would not need to change any menu/toolbar icon – that’s the beauty os default apps 🙂
                        Nice catch with Text Editor (the default Text Editor icon can be used, on the toolbar- it can be geany/leafpad/whatever. And very nice catch with Smtube.
                        I’ve been testing Minitube- it’s a 1Mb .deb package, that has a plus over smtube- it allows us to locally add (no info shared with Toutube servers) any chanel you want – and you can also play videos using MPV (but strangly, now minitube is crashing with a strange error message…
                        So a dozen of icons is exactly what I have on my current toolbar- The only possible thing you can add (for more advanced users is Terminal and maybe Control Centre- but hardcore Terminal users usually use a keybinding to summon the terminal).

P.S:
                        I can already see the negative comments about antiX’s toolbar being too bloated, if anticapitalista aproves a similar change to toolbar icons!!!
                        Anyway- ToolbarIconManager should always be on the toolbar- so the user can easily manage toolbar icons…

[If anyone is curious about my toolbar icons:
                        – WindowSwitcher; Ft10 toolbar icon manager; File Manager; Web Browser; Seamonkey; Package Installer; antiX Updater; Weather; LO Writer; ArandR (because I’m using a netbook connected to an external monitor) and Seamonkey (that I’ll probably replace with Min Browser); after the clock, on the top right, I sometimes have the “Power button)- so a dozen icons – and still, I use jgmenu all the time :-), so “do as I say, not as I do”

P.

marcelocripe

The ones in antiX-contribs include a huge number of languages that have only been machine-translated.

Yes, you are absolutely right. Most languages ​​were translated using the machine translation program that Robin developed. This situation can only be improved if these resources are sent to the Official Transifex of antiX/MX Linux and who knows if other volunteer translators review these machine translations.

The translations over at antiX transifex, are in the most part written by humans.

The Official Transifex of antiX/MX Linux has a greater number of volunteer translators and therefore obtains a better result and is very close to perfection in communication. However, in Transifex Contribs (unofficial) most resources have comments that help guide volunteer translators through each sentence. At least that’s how Robin does it and that’s how he taught me, this way every resource I’ve uploaded to Transifex in the staging area has the comments. The Transifex Contribs (unofficial) area I still don’t have permissions to send resources. The programs that BobC recently reviewed implementing the ability to translate are all on Transifex in the staging area waiting to be passed/tested in a second language to be sent to Transifex Contribs (unofficial). We already have in Transifex Contribs (unofficial) some of the programs that BobC recently reviewed.

Please, anticapitalista, guide us, Robin and I, on how we can help you to make the most of all these program translations.

– – – – –

Sim, você tem toda razão. A maioria dos idiomas foram traduzidos utilizando o programa de tradução automática que o Robin desenvolveu. Esta situação só poderá ser melhorada se estes recusos forem enviados para o Transifex Oficial do antiX/MX Linux e quem sabe os outros tradutores voluntários revisem estas traduções automáticas.

No Transifex Oficial do antiX/MX Linux possui uma quantidade maior de tradutores voluntários e por isso obtem um resultado melhor e muito próximo da perfeição na comunicação. Contudo, no Transifex Contribs (não oficial) a maioria dos recursos possuem os comentários que ajudam a orientar os tradutores voluntários em cada frase. Pelo menos é assim que o Robin faz e é assim que ele me ensinou, desta forma, todos os recursos que eu enviei para o Transifex na área de teste possuem os comentários. A área do Transifex Contribs (não oficial) eu ainda não possuo permissões de envio de recursos. Os programas que o BobC revisou recentemente implementando a possibilidade da tradução, todos estão no Transifex na área de teste aguardando ser aprovado/testado em um segundo idioma para ser enviado para o Transifex Contribs (não oficial). Nós já temos no Transifex Contribs (não oficial) alguns dos programas que o BobC revisou recentemente.

Por favor, anticapitalista, nos oriente, o Robin e eu, de como podemos ajudá-lo para o maior aproveitamento de todas estas traduções dos programas.

PPC

But did not work if the share name has a space (ex: “my share”)

@anticapitalista- sorry for the off topic post.

Nice! You caught a bug, thanks!
                            I think I just fixed it- please test the new script with a share that has a space (I didn’t even think shared folders could have spaces!)

There’s probably room for a new feature- if only one shared folder is found, open it direcly, instead of displaying it in a selection window (originally the script worked that way, but I though it would be a nice idea, for some reason, always seeing to wich folder the user is connecting to- example, in case there’s 2 shared folder and, for some reason, one of the folders is not detected- that happened no me a lot, in the testing stages, on one of my computers)

Edit: Instead of downloading the new script, you can edit the original one: around line 138, the variable after the equal sign should be inside double quotes:

share="$selectedshare"

Just edit the script and save the changes and that should solve that bug.

P.

Rantanplan

Hello anticapitalista,

make antiX full even lighter.
                              Especially for old 32bit machines with little RAM.

Thank you.

Friendships.

=============français================

Bonjour anticapitalista,

rendre antiX full encore plus léger.
                              Notamment, pour les vieilles machines 32bit avec peu de RAM.

Merci.
                              Amitiés.

Vive antiX !
                              Vive le Groland !

PPC

make antiX full even lighter.

Hum. I’m with you, generaly speaking, Rantanplan – but please notice this: asking for software to be “lighter” is too broad – it’s like “Just make it better”. What I think anticapitalista is asking is direct suggestions, features to implement, etc…

And what does “lighter” even mean? For example, it seems that Linux Kernel 6.1 can have something enabled that makes mananging RAM on low resources machines faster- if antiX comes with Kernel 6.1 with that feature enabled, it won’t be “lighter”, but it will run “faster” on devices low on RAM…

Note to self, and all: none of my suggestions, or, I think none I read untill now, imply using more resources – example- I do not use Virtual workspaces/ Virtual Desktops- Moddit’s workflow depends on them, so I agree with his suggestion of having 4 desktops by default. Hey, if you have virtual desktops, then you should have a nice number of them- my reasoning: I don’t think virtual workspaces take any system resources, so there’s no harm in having as many as you want (anyone that knows more than me, on the subject, please correct me) – if so, then having 4 or 5 or them won’t impact users that don’t use virtual workspaces, but impacts positively on people that do need several workspaces- saves them the trouble of adding new workspaces.
                                I think most of computer users has no idea what a virtual workspace or desktop even is- even if they are used to that on their smart devices…

P.

Rantanplan

PPC,

I agree with you.
                                  But, unlike all of you here, I am an end-user of some sort.
                                  I can only defer to those who know.
                                  Lighter: smaller full ISO if possible, minimal RAM consumption (I agree with marcelocripe on the subject of old computers with few resources).
                                  We can always add: it’s easy.
                                  In my opinion, we also have to know how to remove things so that the size remains almost the same with the same performance.
                                  For example, including in the future distribution an epub reader (which is not a problem for me) could lead to remove mupdf, in compensation (I repeat: this is an example, not a crusade).
                                  The risk is that antiX becomes an obese Ubuntu and turns its back on part of its specifications: light distribution for olds computers.
                                  I hope I didn’t hurt anyone, that’s not my intention. Because I know that all of you here are doing your best and giving the best of yourselves.
                                  Best regards.

Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

————–français——————-
                                  PPC,

je suis d’accord avec vous.
                                  Mais, contrairement à vous tous ici, je suis un utilisateur final et quelconque.
                                  Je ne peux que m’en remettre à ceux qui savent.
                                  Plus léger : ISO full plus petite si possible, consommation minimale de la RAM (je rejoins ici marcelocripe sur le sujet des vieux ordinateurs avec peu de ressources).
                                  On peut toujours ajouter : c’est facile.
                                  IL faut aussi, de mon point de vue, savoir aussi retirer des choses pour que la taille reste presque la même à performance égale.
                                  Par exemple, inclure dans la future distribution un lecteur epub (ce que ne pose aucun problème pour moi) pourrait conduire à retirer mupdf, en compensation (je répète : c’est un exemple, pas une croisade).
                                  Le risque est qu’antiX devienne un Ubuntu obèse et tourne le dos à une partie de son cahier des charges : distribution légère.
                                  J’espère n’avoir blessé personne, ce n’est pas mon intention. Car je sais que tous ici, vous faites pour le mieux et donnez le meilleur de vous même.
                                  Amitiés.

Vive antiX !
                                  Vive le Groland !

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 208 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.