antiX 23 – Best kernel to use – Temperature vs. CPU/Mem

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-23 “Arditi del Popolo antiX 23 – Best kernel to use – Temperature vs. CPU/Mem

• This topic has 19 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Nov 6-1:28 pm by olsztyn.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    calciumsodium

The WiFi adapter plug in this package just happens to require the rtl8188fu driver. This unexpected turn of events I might play now with the Liquorix kernel 6.5 installation for that desktop. My initial attempt installing 6.5.10 failed though (using the same curl syntax as above, so I would need to look at the cause of this failure…

Hello @olsztyn,

If you are going to use the rtl8188fu wifi adapter with any kernel greater than 6.2 kernel, you need to add the firmware to your system.

I will tell you how to do it.

1. Go to the github website:

https://github.com/kelebek333/rtl8188fu

2. Click on the green Code button and download the zip file.

3. Extract the zip file. Extracting the zip file should produce a folder called: rtl8188fu-master.

4. Go into the firmware folder of this rtl8188fu-master folder. There is a file called rtl8188fufw.bin. As root, copy this rtl8188fufw.bin file into your system’s /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/ folder. That rtlwifi folder should contain many other rtl*.bin files.

That is it. Assuming that you have installed the 6.5 kernel correctly (actually the rtl8xxxu driver works for the 6.2 kernel or above), your rtl8xxxu/rtl8188fu driver should work and you can get wifi.

As for why the liquorix install was not successful, perhaps you can share the output of the error message.

You can install the liquorix kernel manually. You can get the kernels at the site:

https://liquorix.net/debian/pool/main/l/linux-liquorix/

Good luck.

olsztyn

Thank you @calciumsodium for all these details. Greatly appreciated you took the time and effort to share your knowledge and outline related process.
        I will play with these various options and see what is the best path for me to follow.
        It is not as so important that this piece of hardware ends up working but rather that you highlighted another aspect of all this hardware support as example in your preceeding note that I did not previously recognize enough. I learn something every day…
        So, this rtl* version being already several years old, how is this that only kernel 6.2+ acknowledges its existence?

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
        http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

olsztyn

As for why the liquorix install was not successful, perhaps you can share the output of the error message.

Basically, tried several ways to install several versions of kernel, all seemed to have failed with package errors.
          Manual install after downloading appears to end up producing error message on install of headers, not even getting yet to installation of the actual kernel:

Cleaning build area…
          ‘make’ all KVER=6.5.10-1-liquorix-amd64………………………………(bad exit status: 2)
          Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 6.5.10-1-liquorix-amd64 (x86_64)
          Consult /var/lib/dkms/rtl8821cu/5.12.0/build/make.log for more information.
          Error! One or more modules failed to install during autoinstall.
          Refer to previous errors for more information.
          dkms: autoinstall for kernel: 6.5.10-1-liquorix-amd64 failed!
          run-parts: /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/dkms exited with return code 11
          Failed to process /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-headers-6.5.10-1-liquorix-amd64.postinst line 11.
          dpkg: error processing package linux-headers-6.5.10-1-liquorix-amd64 (–configure):
          installed linux-headers-6.5.10-1-liquorix-amd64 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
          Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.36-9+deb12u3) …
          ldconfig: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_mdns_minimal.so.2 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_mdns6.so.2 is not a symbolic link

ldconfig: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_mdns4_minimal.so.2 is not a symbolic link

Errors were encountered while processing:
          linux-headers-6.5.10-1-liquorix-amd64

It appears they do get installed but post-processing fails. Not sure how to make install of these kernels work cleanly…

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by olsztyn.

calciumsodium

<
            Consult /var/lib/dkms/rtl8821cu/5.12.0/build/make.log for more information.
            Error! One or more modules failed to install during autoinstall.

Do you use the rtl8821cu wifi driver? If not, then purge the rtl8821cu dkms.

sudo apt purge rtl8821cu-dkms

I have not seen the libnss errors. Perhaps others can chime in what this error means.

On some of my systems where I only use ethernet or systems where there are no dkms wifi, I don’t even install the headers of the kernel. In those cases, I purge all the dkms files. I just install the linux-image of the kernel.

I have one system that requires the broadcom-wl dkms for wifi. In this system I have to install the linux-headers and the linux-image of the kernel.

olsztyn

Do you use the rtl8821cu wifi driver? If not, then purge the rtl8821cu dkms.

I do not think any of my laptops is using it. Will purge.
              Thank you…

Update:
              – Purged a few -dkms files. Following this purge the install process of the kernel worked just fine.
              – Installed the firmware from the github per your advice.

Now testing with kernel 6.5.10 Liquorix.
              One initial observation is that the initial memory footprint after booting this Liquorix kernel appears to be very slightly lower (about 2Mb less) than with antiX 6.1 kernel. This difference is not significant at all but this was a surprise to me…

Thanks very much for your advice and detailed outline of the process…

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.