antiX-23-beta1-runit-full (64bit) for testing

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23-beta1-runit-full (64bit) for testing

• This topic has 404 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated Jul 16-4:42 am by andfree.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 405 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista

First of all, I’d like to thank all alpha1 testers.
      This beta would not have been possible without your help.

Remember it is a *beta* so

Do not use this on critical systems.
      The default Debian repos point to bookworm, but antiX ones to testing. This means Repo_Manager will not work correctly.
      This will change to bookworm once the Debian hard freeze begins.
      Not all localisation is complete.

Size of iso = approximately 1.6GB
      Includes 2 kernels – 5.10 legacy and 6.1 ‘modern’
      Defaults to zzz-IceWM ‘desktop’
      Test it out.

Post any comments (positive and negative)
      Help find and fix some bugs

Thanks

Get it here: http://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/Testing/
      I will keep the file there for a few weeks, but then remove/delete it.

Added:

Is there anyone using a 64bit computer that fails to boot using the ‘modern’ 6.1 kernel?
      If everyone(?) is able to boot using the 6.1 kernel then there is no need for 5.10 to be on the iso, right?

• This topic was modified 1 year ago by anticapitalista.
      • This topic was modified 1 year ago by anticapitalista. Reason: added questions

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

olsztyn

I am on antiX 23 beta-1 and my first impression is very positive. So far it works nicely and some incremental enhancements over antiX 23 Alpha-1:
        – Choice of kernels – kernel 5.10 as legacy and kernel 6.1 as modern – is just perfect IMHO. Users with very old hardware will need older kernels though. In my case my oldest laptop is about 2007 now, so I am Ok with legacy 5.10, as just an example.
        – Aesthetically – default IceWM theme, Blueday Medium – probably the best choice from the stock ones. The only continued limitation I see with the look config is still using relatively low resolution icons, likely from papyrus-antix set, rather than reaching to hicolor set from /usr/share/icons/hicolor. But this is just a matter of choice and can be tailored to individual liking.
        – IceWM Control Center in Desktop under Control Center – Just perfect to highlight a myriad of options that can be used to tailor IceWM to individual preferences, if needed. This is the best – keep traditionally solid IceWM core and provide many options to enable customization of IceWM if wanted by user.
        – Shares tab in Control Center – Still the same selection of traditional Connectshares. This is fine, but somehow I was under impression that @PPC allowed to use the flexible ‘SMBmap’ or SMB Neighborhood, or whatever it is called, developed by @PPC, that it can be used separately without the requirement of installing FT10 now. So this tabl would be perfect to include such SMBmap tool from PPC, which discovers and maps SMB shares dynamically, on the fly…
        – Pipewire is configured to be initialized via Desktop-Session Start script. Just a few specific pipewire components are not installed by default. Can be installed via Package Installer if pipewire infrastructure is wanted…

I will be further testing and I am posting this from antiX 23 Beta-1, IceWM, Firefox. So far all I touch seems to work as expected.
        I have no negative observations so far.

Thank you for this new, the highest level of antiX perfection…

Update:
        – System-config-printer bunch is missing (including python3-cupshelpers). Not installed and therefore printer configuration in the ControlCenter is missing. The way it is at the moment it may not be the right thing to just install the 1.5.18-1 version from the repository as it is the Debian version rather than the nosystemd version, which is 1.5.16-1.0nosystemd1.
        This has been probably overlooked by accident as in my antiX 23 SID/Bookworm system the above nosystemd1 version installs just fine and works as expected.
        The other option anticapitalista might consider would be to modify the latest 1.5.18-1 debian version to nosystemd so the latest will be available.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
        http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Forum Admin
        Dave

Quick poke around in the control centre…
          Firewall toggle: turns on firewall when window is closed. (x button, neither on or off)
          Set time and date: No window decorations, apply or exit button. Requires keyboard input on selected item or double click (Maybe non-intuitive?)
          System -> edit config files: opens slim.conf should be slimski.conf
          hardware -> pc information: is there a reason to use lspci -vnn |grep “VGA” to get graphics information vs inxi -G. Current command also shows network adapter information

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

PPC

First quick impressions of the new beta:

I loved it, only 2 “bugs” I noticed – like Dave said, no Printer icon on Control Center and there’s a problem with IceWM CC (more on that bellow)

*The File Manager – ZZZFM looks great – all the default bookmarks work and were completely localized (except, of course, for the “Trash” related ones- any idea how to implement that?

*Control Centre – I loved IceWM Control Centre icon! Suggestion – if possible, do keep the entry to manually edit IceWM’s config file – most people are used to tweak stuff from there – I do not think it’s redundant having a GUI and a manual way to do the same thing, specially because doing manually offers much more choice! If reinstating the manual icon, please add a prefoverride! Most used do not know about that config file- if should always be there, even if empty! It’s name is self explanatory!
            – Like you said, localization is not complete, but IceWM Control Center, in pt, is only half localized – since some strings were changed (like the intro on the first line), maybe it should be put back on Transifex?
            – Loved the Firewall icon – should it not be in “Network”, instead of in “System”? @Dave – I tested – no, the GUI does not change the firewall status if you just close the window. It just always displays the firewall status when exiting, by design, no there’s no margin for error by the user…
            – The Choose Default Apps buttons (Free Choice, Cancel, Apply, back) are not localized – it’s not an antiX 23 problem, but I think this should be addressed!

*Toolbar: no “preview” of quick launch icons, when users over on them, like on regular IceWM in antiX 22? Is that by design?
            -I know localization is not finished, but “Eject USB” is not localized in the beta (it is in antiX22). Also, if possible, tweak it so if only one device is found, tick it be default, to save user’s time. Also I know some users find that GUI confusing, if there are several partitions (like in the live stick), so that lessens the impact of switching to antiX, since most time we just use one USB pen-drive, right?

*Desktop: still no trash icon on the desktop 🙂

*Menu– I do think that you should follow the logic used on the toolbar and allow to edit the Personal Menu from within itself, adding, as it’s first entry, the GUI script to edit that menu
            – Not greatly important but, like I stated in alpha1 thread, I do think Icewm menu should follow the same logic that the Jwm menu uses- place the “Refresh menu” button next to the menu it refers to.

*On IceWM CC, for some reason the “send icon to desktop” entry is not working, I’ll have to check that out…

*The Kernel – I booted into the modern kernel, it works great

*On the default UI– I suggest that FX-dark theme should be used by default, but I’m biased on that… Just having a slighly newer theme may be a nice way to show it’s a new version, without shocking users too much…

*Verdict: if the alpha was good, the beta is almost perfect. Looks great, runs great, easy to configure, light. I’ll try to take a deeper look!

P.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by PPC.
            calciumsodium

Positive: I see that the broadcom-wl kernel module (wl.ko) is built into the 6.1 antix kernel. Thank you. It works on my hp laptops out of the box without having to build and install an extra kernel module. This will save me a lot of time when I upgrade kernels on these machines.

A bug or am I doing something wrong:
              I see this in alpha1 and now in beta1. After I do an isosnapshot and boot into that snapshot and install from that snapshot into the harddrive, the file:

/usr/share/desktop-menu/.icewm/menu-applications is empty.

So when I use the menu for applications, there is nothing there. To get around this, from the live medium from the original iso I copied this menu-applications file and copied it to the installed /usr/share/desktop-menu/.icewm/ folder.

Has anyone else seen this? Am I doing something wrong?

PPC

More feedback:

Negative:
                – I just noticed why the “send icon to zzzfm” does not work- the IceWM manager script is an older version, that does not include the fix to handle output from app-manager latest version. This means that the script adds entries to the startup file creates the wrong entries!!!
                EDIT: I posted, below, on this thread, a fix for this script
                – Also, I would advise having the zzfmlocalize if-fi in a one-liner, so the startup GUI can remove it without problem, if users so wish. It’s comment line has a typo, on the last characters (nitpicking, I know)
                User language’s button- “localize programs” does nothing? It works fine in antiX 22 (but it’s not localized).
                NOTE: User Language only updates packages, logically, after users update their package lists (i.e. run antiX updater, or, via the terminal “sudo apt update”).
                I think that the script to manage the Personal Menu got a bit buggy, I’ll have to check it out in more detail… Nope, it’s working fine.

Positive:
                – I noticed a virtual keyboard is now included”- very nice, making antiX future proof, and making sure it works on touch devices! Very nice touch!
                – User language is now localized!
                – Loved the new entries on the antiX menu. And yes, some .desktop files still require a bit of localization – place them on Transifex, when possible, users will probably be happy to take care of that! Everyone likes having menus on their own language.
                – I’ve been wanting to suggest this: zzzfm, be default, shows internal drives! Nice. Having them hidden is less confusing for newbies, unless they want to access a shared internal drive, then they panic, because they don’t see their partitions! How do I know that happens? It happened to me, when I was trying to access my frozen PC from a live stick and did not see my internal drive, to back up my stuff… I panicked for a second, until I remembered to enable internal drives… It’s nice to see that setting on!!!
                – I know some people do not like having language correction enabled on other languages- I enjoy being able to edit my documents in LibreOffice in my own language, out of the box, on the live iso, even if the LO is in English. Please do keep this feature in the final version! It improves the live version usability quite a bit, in real world office use!

Has anyone else seen this? Am I doing something wrong?

I didn’t se that on the beta, but it’s reported to happen once in a while, since the dawn of time, for unknown reasons, in several antiX versions. I don’t recall it ever happening to me. Please try clicking the “Refresh menu” entry on antiX Menu. It should regenerate the applications menu! You can also try via the terminal:
                desktop-menu --write-out-global
                if that fails, try with sudo:
                sudo desktop-menu --write-out-global

P.

Brian Masinick

I’m downloading now; I saw the announcement from my phone last evening AFTER I had stopped using my computer. I just finished the download and I look forward to this being the first antiX version I’ve been able to use on my HP-14 without having to configure and customize my entire kernel module and wireless interface. I’ll be back with it shortly to begin testing!

--
                  Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                  anticapitalista

Quick comments.

1. I removed system-config-printer since it would not work without libelogind0.
                    Strangely the very same version built for antiX-22 works just fine.

2. Trash can on the desktop – only after full installation and not on live/frugal.

3. In IceWM prssing the Space bar opens zzzFM.Not sure if I like that.

4. zzzFM always opens full screen here. Not sure why.

5. Localisation can/will be fixed with regular upgrades (mostly).

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

marcelocripe

(except, of course, for the “Trash” related ones- any idea how to implement that?)

All Recycle Bin related text could be in a .desktop file.

Todos os textos relacionados a Lixeira poderiam estar em um arquivo .desktop.

marcelocripe

demo@antix1:~
                        $ shasum -c antiX-23-beta1-runit_x64-full.iso.sha256
                        antiX-23-beta1-runit_x64-full.iso: OK
                        $

$ md5sum -c antiX-23-beta1-runit_x64-full.iso.md5
                        antiX-23-beta1-runit_x64-full.iso: SUCCESS
                        $

Brian Masinick

I’m downloading now; I saw the announcement from my phone last evening AFTER I had stopped using my computer. I just finished the download and I look forward to this being the first antiX version I’ve been able to use on my HP-14 without having to configure and customize my entire kernel module and wireless interface. I’ll be back with it shortly to begin testing!

I installed antiX 23 Beta 1 on my HP-14 laptop. just prior to login I was running live and the 5.10 kernel came up.
                          I rebooted and selected the6.1 kernel at boot, and then the wireless and other characteristics came up.
                          This is a BIG DEAL for me, because I’ve had to custom configure each distribution with a newer kernel, kernel modules, and an updated wireless module.

With this build, once I selected the Version 6 kernel, EVERYTHING I needed to at least access the basics are working with no manual modifications on my part.

Given that even the kernels and wireless work without modifications and the Alpha version did MOST of what’s needed, for my purposes even this Beta would suit my every day use cases. Nevertheless, when I get some time over the next few days, I’ll try to go through an exhaustive list of tests.

Perhaps the administrators and moderators can organize test coverage as we’ve done. I’ll chip in later; can one in our team initiate the process and a few check lists?

--
                          Brian Masinick

Xunzi_23

Very Positive, Boots on hardware with NVidia :-).

For zoom icons on ICEWM toolbar
                            settings in prefs are

ToolbarIconZoomSize=0 to 64
                            ToolTipIcon=0/1 off/on
                            HugeIconSize=8 # [8-128]

Found window borders hard to grab for resize
                            so using BobC antiX-Magic-Small

Hope printer setup can be fixed, cups localhost:631 interface is not exactly self explanatory,
                            probably unknown to many users.

Looks good, runs good.

Not a criticism:
                            Setup LibreOffice latest from LO Org as 7.5 still locked in debian experimental dungeons.
                            UngoogledChromium and libreWolf added, at present sadly not the easiest options.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Xunzi_23.
                            olsztyn

1. I removed system-config-printer since it would not work without libelogind0.
                              Strangely the very same version built for antiX-22 works just fine.

Works fine on my antiX 23 SID with no libelogind0. My antiX 23 SID is made of antiX 23 Alpha, upgraded to SID repo after full update. Version of system-config-printer bundle I am using is 1.5.16-1.0nosystemd1. I think it is the same as built for antiX 22.

Forum Admin
                              anticapitalista

@olsztyn – you must have that version pinned since the latest in Debian bookworm is 1.5.18-1

http://packages.debian.org/bookworm/system-config-printer

1.5.18-1nosystemd is available in antiX-22 repo, but for some reason it spits out a message that some elogind library is missing when built for antiX-23

olsztyn

4. zzzFM always opens full screen here. Not sure why.

It opens properly (in a window) on mine. Possibly opened in full screen the first time, I am not sure now. Change to window and reduction of size might have done it… I adjusted many things so do not remember all details.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 405 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.