antiX-23-beta1-runit-full (64bit) for testing

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23-beta1-runit-full (64bit) for testing

• This topic has 404 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated Jul 16-4:42 am by andfree.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 405 total)
  • Author
    olsztyn

@olsztyn – you must have that version pinned since the latest in Debian bookworm is 1.5.18-1

Yes, bookworm Debian version is 1.5.18-1. This one does not work on antiX (with no libelogind0, I think). The antiX nosystemd1 version should be used instead and it works perfectly and Printer config is being installed in the Control Center as expected. I have been using it since beginning of antiX 23 Alpha. No issues. I do not recall details whether I pinned or installed from antiX 22 repo. The thing to remember is to never ‘upgrade’ it to the Debian 1.5.18-1 version afterwards…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
      http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

calciumsodium

sudo desktop-menu --write-out-global

Hello @PPC. This command solves the problem of the missing applications menu. The “refresh menu” option did not solve this problem.
        Thanks for the tip.

PPC

Stupid question – can’t the same version of the package used to have the Printer on Control Center that the alpha used be installed and pinned? It’s better to have a feature frozen on time than not having it at all…

P.

Forum Admin
          anticapitalista

Stupid question – can’t the same version of the package used to have the Printer on Control Center that the alpha used be installed and pinned? It’s better to have a feature frozen on time than not having it at all…

P.

It can, but I’m not in favour of releasing an iso with pinned packages.
            At some point it will lead to issues.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

PPC

@anticapitalista- I think I fixed the bugs on the IceWM Manager script… Just download, unzip and run the script – every feature should work (I did not, of course, mess with the localization)

Edit: I’m thinking about adding 2 more extra features:
              1- group windows on the toolbar (I tested it, but do not like this feature- a new user recently asked about how to do that on the forum- partly that was what got me thinking about creating a script to manager IceWM, because I got into some experiments just around that time).
              2- something that, for me, should be a default in IceWM – have only one network info square on the system tray (there’s an option that makes IceWM check what is being used- wi-fi or ethernet and display info only about that connection. Does anyone use wifi at the same time as a cabled connection?)

If I have the time, I’ll take a shot at it

P.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by PPC.
              PPC

I’m not in favour of releasing an iso with pinned packages.
                At some point it will lead to issues.

I do not have any know how about that, but I do, sometimes, think outside the box – can’t you compile the package using a new name and place it on antiX’s Repo and use that instead? That way it would not get affected by any change in the main Debian Repo- is that even feasible?

P.

Forum Admin
                Dave

– I just noticed why the “send icon to zzzfm” does not work- the IceWM manager script is an older version, that does not include the fix to handle output from app-manager latest version. This means that the script adds entries to the startup file creates the wrong entries!!!

Something to keep in mind:
                  The time outputs were added for testing. This was in hope of receiving feedback on speed improvements with changes and the cache file system. (app-select vs app-select –no-cache).
                  If you are wanting to check/update the scripts using the app-select -s output, please test against the version of app-select in my gitlab which has the printouts of the time spent loading removed.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

PPC

About easily making sure users have the most localized possible system. Since Dave, on the antiX 23 alpha thread, talked about the first run script- we could add this:
                    at first boot, check if locale is anything other than English. If it is: ask if user wants to fully localize the system (and warn that internet connectivity is required). Check for internet. If a connection is present, first run sudo apt upgrade, then run the user localization script… It’s kinda of what windows does at first run, but not essential, and only for localization porpoises (you know, new users do not know they can easily localize the browser and office suite)-
                    This would not be essential, but it would be a very nice touch, that most not english speaking users would appreciate

Note: I fixed a previous post, setting the record about what works and what does not work in the beta!

Other suggestions: include, out of the box, a prefoverride file, with keybinding to use icewm’s semi-tiling features (I talked about that a couple of times before)

I forgot to test deb-installer when I was using the beta- I think that’s the most essential feature I’ve yet to check out.

Considering the fixed icemwm manager script gets in the repo, the only, not bug but missing feature the beta has is the lack of Printer Settings in the Control Center (and also the shortcut to manually edit IceWM config files, that I think, if possible, should still be available and include prefoverride).

P.

PPC

please test against the version of app-select in my gitlab which has the printouts of the time spent loading removed.

Since my “fix” uses the last line from app-select’s output, it probably will work with the gitlab version too. I’ll try to check it out later, anyway.

Wallon

Thank you anticapitalista for the corrections to this new version. I see that you never rest.

I did a check of the jwm script after restarting the default theme.
                        According to jwm, there are several errors.

I also put my sources of information.

Take it easy…

Best regards,
                        Wallon
                        http://joewing.net/projects/jwm/config-2.3.html
                        http://joewing.net/projects/jwm/config-2.3.html#colors

http://man.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=jwm&sektion=1&manpath=freebsd-release-ports#end

http://htmlcolorcodes.com/

command line -> $ jwm -p
                        JWM: warning: $HOME/.jwm/theme[65]: invalid opacity: 0
                        JWM: warning: $HOME/.jwm/tray[30]: close tag "" does not match open tag "Clock"
                        JWM: warning: $HOME/.jwm/tray[29]: invalid tag in Clock: Text

In the file /home/user/.jwm/tray

Line 29 Replace
                        <Text>white</Text>
                        with
                        <!– <Text>white</Text> –>
                        comment : $HOME/.jwm/tray[29]: invalid tag in Tray: Text
                        Impossible to find the good code for the color. When you deactivate this line, it does not change anything in JWM. The text remains in white.

Line 30 Replace
                        <Button mask=”123″>exec:yad –calendar –mouse –close-on-unfocus –undecorated –skip-taskbar –button=gtk-ok:1</Button></>
                        with
                        <Button mask=”123″>exec:yad –calendar –mouse –close-on-unfocus –undecorated –skip-taskbar –button=gtk-ok:1</Button></Clock>

To do the same thing for;
                        file /home/user/.jwm/tray-numix-bevel
                        file /home/user/.jwm/tray-numix-square
                        file /home/user/.jwm/tray-papirus

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In the file /home/user/.jwm/theme

Line 65 Replace
                        <Opacity>0</Opacity>
                        with
                        <!– <Opacity>0</Opacity> –>
                        Following documentation;
                        Opacity
                        The opacity of the window. This is a floating point value between 0.0 and 1.0. Note that a composite manager, such as compton, is required for this.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In the file /home/user/.jwm/theme.dark

Line 64 Replace
                        <Opacity>0.85</Opacity>
                        with
                        <!– <Opacity>0.85</Opacity> –>
                        Following documentation;
                        Opacity
                        The opacity of the window. This is a floating point value between 0.0 and 1.0. Note that a composite manager, such as compton, is required for this.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In the file /home/user/.jwm/theme.light

Line 64 Replace
                        <Opacity>0.85</Opacity>
                        with
                        <!– <Opacity>0.85</Opacity> –>
                        Following documentation;
                        Opacity

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Wallon.
                        Wallon

Attention, I notice that some characters did not pass well on the forum.

Be careful with the <!-- and the -->

PPC

I’m probably finished by today- I tweaked antix Control Centre to get back the old way to edit icewm config files and also moved Firewall to the Network section- if anyone wants to test this, it’s attached. I think it’s almost perfect this way.

@anticapitalista – it was just an experiment, I wanted to see how Control Centre works, how easy it is to edit it’s features. I learned quite a bit, doing that.

Edit: for the first time ever, the “refresh menu” entry works for me, no elevated privileges needed! I had to run it because once, the live system booted in pt, but the “Applications” sub menu was all in English – I never got that before!!!

Edit2: I tested deb-installer – it works. Should it be able to install packages without elevated privileges? Updating the system is safer that installing off-line packages and that requires elevated privileges… and I seem to recall that I ran “sudo -k” before trying out deb-installer…

Observation: with antiX 23 we have a fully working and localized system updater, a GUI to install .deb files and a nice Package Installer, even a GUI way to enable/disable the firewall- antiX is now perfect even for new to Linux users – everything seems to just work with simple and easy to use GUI, and users are not forced to learn the CLI- they should, but most have not need for that, so they can use the OS, update it, install what they need, without the need to enter commands on the terminal (but they still see the Terminal do it’s thing, and they can learn how the system works, even without typing commands, if they don’t want to).

P.

Attachments:
                            Brian Masinick

I logged in this morning and was using the new image until I had some outside activities.
                              Instead of shutting down I closed my laptop lid.

After returning I was able to use my system, but unfortunately I started getting cmst warnings.
                              (CMST is the interface program for the Connman network management program).
                              After receiving 3-4 warnings I noticed that WiFi service stopped running.

I tried using the antix-wifi-switch tool. First I stuck with connman;
                              I got a couple additional warnings in short order, so I switched to Ceni.
                              The interface came up, but it never presented me with the available WiFi services available.
                              I tried returning to connman/cmst, but it wasn’t responding either, so I rebooted.

Services are back as normal; this is not normal for this system though.
                              I can go for hours with either network manager service without issues on this computer.
                              I can also use either of them with my Dell Inspiron 5558 with no stability issues,
                              and therefore I’m suspecting an issue somewhere; it’s going to take some time to
                              determine if this was just an artifact of multiple hours of inactivity, and if that
                              is the way to reproduce the issue, or if it’s something else.

At this point it’s just an observation unless I can provide something better in
                              the logs AND if I can repeatedly reproduce it so we know what to fix.

--
                              Brian Masinick

fladd
                                fladd

Installing Mullvad fails.
                                  First, after installing it from the package installer, nothing happens, Mullvad is nowhere to find.
                                  Next, after having figured out that this just installs an install script, calling this install script (“install_mullvad.sh”) though, results in the error “no package name”.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by fladd.
                                  • This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by fladd.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 405 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.