antiX-23-beta1-runit-full (64bit) for testing

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23-beta1-runit-full (64bit) for testing

• This topic has 404 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated Jul 16-4:42 am by andfree.
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 405 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista

Just to be clear – antiX is not changing its file managers.
      I just wondered if the problem that Robin found with rox-filer and zzzFM exist in any other file managers.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

PPC

antiX is not changing its file managers.

I never assumed that it would, in the foreseeable future, but thanks for making that clear!
        I just wanted to underline that, for now, rox and zzzfm, dispite any problems users may find on them are almost perfect as is, as the better suited File Managers for antiX!

P.

Robin

antiX is not changing its file managers.

It was not my intention at all to ask for a file manager change. For me the two file managers we have do work perfectly. The issue I found in them can be solved by a workaround easily: Just let all the scripts and Programs care for forming their own private process groups at startup. In case a program can’t be changed to do it on it’s own, causing trouble when started by our file managers or launchers for this reason, just create a wrapper script around it if needed. So the issue can be solved by workarounds without fixing the file managers.

I just wondered if the problem that Robin found with rox-filer and zzzFM exist in any other file managers.

I’ll investigate as soon as possible. Right now I’m buried by real life workload, so it’ll take some time. As said, it’s not that important any longer, since I’ve outlined a workaround, and already made it work in a first script ( https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/acstv-update-to-new-version-1-09-fit-for-antix23/page/3/#post-106038 ).

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

iznit

lacks the option to see drives (I failed to realize how to do that on PcManFM – the option to show devices and also Network does not work, probably needs a plug-in?)

antix does not automatically install packages tagged as “Recommends”. PcManFM may gain ability to handle drives if if you install the additional packages “gvfs-backends” and “gvfs-fuse”.

Brian Masinick

As long as we’ve diverged onto the topic of file managers – and we can split this off if that is the consensus – there is a list of the 30 Best File Managers (actually they include 31, but one is simply using the Command Line Interface (CLI) of your favorite shell environment.

Here it is for those who may be interested; note that the phenomenal vi and Emacs editing environments both have at least one or more ways to turn themselves into file managers – read if interested –
              http://www.tecmint.com/linux-file-managers/#10_SpaceFM_File_Manager

--
              Brian Masinick

abc-nix

Please consider including the package fonts-noto-core for improved language support on future antiX 23 full (maybe not for base, but I do think it should be included in full).
                It may be an extra 45 MBs or so, but it provides a larger Unicode coverage compared to the default monospace and Dejavu Sans (many non-latin based languages will not render properly without this extra support).

Thanks for your work on antiX.

PPC

Please consider including the package fonts-noto-core for improved language support on future antiX 23 full

I’m not a Dev, but I think 45Mb or so is a bit heavy… But probably having that font available in Package Installer would be nice middle ground – making it easier for users that require it, to install that font easily from a GUI…

antix does not automatically install packages tagged as “Recommends”. PcManFM may gain ability to handle drives if if you install the additional packages “gvfs-backends” and “gvfs-fuse”.

Thanks for the info, but I already uninstalled PcManFM… It was just a quick test! Zzzfm is my ideal file manager. The only missing feature (in my opinion) is a GUI way to mass rename files…

P.

• This reply was modified 12 months ago by PPC.
                  BobC

Midnight Commander does mass renames of files

Daily driver distro https://www.antixforum.com

Brian Masinick

Midnight Commander does mass renames of files

Yeah, I agree; I don’t know what the aversion is to this tool; it’s pretty handy and you can use multiple views, putting the initial directory in one view, the destination directory in another and easily either copy or move files and directories back and forth. For me, I could care less whether it’s “pretty” or not, I like stuff that’s fast and works. I often use my own command-based solutions; when I use file managers, I want something quick and functional; between rox-filer, zzzFM and Midnight Commander, there are three quick, usable alternatives that work efficiently and represent three efficient approaches.

--
                      Brian Masinick

PPC

This can be handy for antiX-23:

The fact that MC did save me once, when I could not boot into X, does make me like it a bit. I know it can rename files (with F6) but when I select several files and press Shift + F6 I can only rename the correctly highlighted file… And I spent a bit searching on-line (that’s where I found out that I had to press Shift). If I can’t figure something out in less than five minutes, and I have so spend a few minutes searching on-line how to do that, and even so I can’t do it, I look for other options (my current favorite is using krenamer, I can even drag and drop the files to be renamed from zzzfm).

So I suggest that krenamer should be included in Package Installer (ok, that suggestion is not antiX-23 specific)…

Forum Admin
                        anticapitalista

The mighty rox-filer can do bulk rename.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

PPC

The mighty rox-filer can do bulk rename.

I had a sneaky suspicion you would say that 🙂

Edit: yep, still too dumb, I can’t make it work… I’m a simple man. I’ll stick with krename…

• This reply was modified 12 months ago by PPC.
                            Forum Admin
                            anticapitalista

krename brings in elogind.

Forum Admin
                              anticapitalista

@PPC – How about gprename?

Robin

How about gprename?

That’s a great tool I have always installed by default on all my systems.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 405 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.