antiX-23-beta1-runit-full (64bit) for testing

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23-beta1-runit-full (64bit) for testing

• This topic has 404 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated Jul 16-4:42 am by andfree.
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 405 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    Dave

Fix the “Use image as wallpaper for that session” context menu entry, to use better defaults (feh –bg-max -Z %f)

Should desktop-session-wallpaper have an option to take a file path as an argument to set as the wallpaper for the current session?

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Brian Masinick

Fix the “Use image as wallpaper for that session” context menu entry, to use better defaults (feh –bg-max -Z %f)

Should desktop-session-wallpaper have an option to take a file path as an argument to set as the wallpaper for the current session?

That would be a nice option; if included, is it possible to choose an option or accept a default? That would be a very flexible method, if it’s not too involved to set it up that way.

--
        Brian Masinick

PPC

That would be perfect, Dave!

Forum Admin
          Dave

@PPC, ok changes for testing here http://gitlab.com/antiX-Dave/wallpaper-antix/-/blob/master/bin/desktop-session-wallpaper
            @Brian Masinick, Sorry I am not certain what you mean by “choose an option or accept a default”. Choosing an option would be done in the frontend part of the wallpaper app command: wallpaper. This change is in the backend script to bypass using the gui frontend (using spacefm/rox as the frontend instead). Realistically this could have been done prior (without me editing desktop-session-wallpaper) by doing something like

sed -i "/rox-icewm=.*/rox-icewm=\/usr\/share\/wallpaper\/Flat.png/" ~/.desktop-session/wallpaper-list.conf &&
            desktop-session-wallpaper

But that could easily develop into a “helper” script that is not really needed for the context menus of the file managers.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

PPC

@Dave, I just tested the new script – it works, but not in the way I expected it 🙂
              What I expected:
              – if users run the script indicating an image file, it would launch the script’s main window, with a preview, and the buttons to Center/Fill, etc…
              – if users run the script without indicating an image file, the current version of the script opens, showing the script’s main window, with the currently selected wallpaper in it’s preview.

What the script currently does: it automatically sets the indicated image as wallpaper, stretching it. To change the way the picture is displayed, users have to run the standalone script and choose (center/fill/stretch). This version of the script works perfectly as is, for most kinds of images (that are usually high quality, but may distort them a bit- the user can then run the standalone script to “fix” the way the image is displayed). But if the script is run without being pointed to an image file it does nothing, and I think it should run the main window, right?

Many thanks, Dave!

P.

Forum Admin
              Dave

If no options are given the desktop-session-wallpaper script should set a background from the configuration file and list (same as at startup). Even if it is the same background.
                As it is the backend to the wallpaper app gui, it should run as default to set the wallpaper (not call itself). Otherwise it will always need to have an argument passed to set the wallpaper. It was never really meant to be called directly by the user, just by the wallpaper gui / session startup + restart. Right click options in the file manager would be taking the place of the wallpaper app gui. The centre, stretch, and fill values extracted from the configuration file. (~/.desktop-session/wallpaper.conf) Default is stretch if I recall correctly but would be centre or fill if set as such in the wallpaper.conf file.

If the full dialog is needed every time then “wallpaper” should be called with an optional file. I would revert these changes if that were the case. It seems to me however that if you were to run the full gui each time, why not just run the wallpaper app gui; or send the file to ~/Wallpaper (symlink) and then run the wallpaper app gui defaulting to the ~/Wallpaper folder (which would work better for random wallpaper / random wallpaper timed options).

PPC

@Dave – I do like this version of the app- ideal for calling from the File Manager’s contextual menu. what puzzled me was the fact that just running the script, without any option did not summon the main GUI. So I was left wondering- if this version replaces the official one, how will users select the wallpaper from the Control Centre, or from the menu?
                  After you said it, I saw that it would be relatively easy to edit the config file that stores the wallpaper (~/.desktop-session/wallpaper-list.conf), probably restarting the window manager and then run the wallpaper script so users select how it will be displayed.

P.

PPC

@anticapitalista – I just tested the new version of Package Installer – now antiX has a single GUI to install either apps from the curated list, the default repositories or from Debian backports. And also, users do not see a terminal window, so it’s less “scary” for newbies.
                    It now allows to both install or remove any package, using a GUI, without having to resort to Synaptic (which is more powerful but also a bit more complex than P.I.)

Suggestions (if easy to implement, I’m nick-picking):
                    – I think that the default window icon should be the “store” one (the white shopping bag), just for consistency
                    – The main tab has a description on the first line (something like “Manage Popular applications”). Probably a short description line would be nice for the other 2 tabs, something like “Select any package available from the repositories” and “Select any of the more up to date test versions of the packages”

P.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by PPC.
                    Forum Admin
                    Dave

@PPC, same as always. Run the command: wallpaper

felipecardope

demo@antix1:~
                        $ inxi -zv7
                        System:
                        Kernel: 6.1.18-antix.1-amd64-smp arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
                        v: 12.2.0 Desktop: IceWM v: 3.3.2 dm: slimski v: 1.5.0
                        Distro: antiX-23-beta1-runit_x64-full Grup Yorum 21 March 2023 base: Debian
                        GNU/Linux bookworm/sid
                        Machine:
                        Type: Desktop Mobo: Intel model: DG31PR v: AAE58249-306
                        serial: <superuser required> BIOS: Intel v: PRG3110H.86A.0065.2009.0421.1559
                        date: 04/21/2009
                        Battery:
                        Memory:
                        RAM: total: 3.82 GiB used: 481.4 MiB (12.3%)
                        RAM Report: permissions: Unable to run dmidecode. Root privileges
                        required.
                        CPU:
                        Info: dual core model: Intel Core2 6300 bits: 64 type: MCP
                        smt: <unsupported> arch: Core2 Merom rev: 2 cache: L1: 128 KiB L2: 2 MiB
                        Speed (MHz): avg: 1600 min/max: 1596/1862 cores: 1: 1600 2: 1600
                        bogomips: 7466
                        Flags: acpi aperfmperf apic arch_perfmon bts clflush cmov constant_tsc
                        cpuid cx16 cx8 de ds_cpl dtes64 dtherm dts est fpu fxsr ht lahf_lm lm mca
                        mce mmx monitor msr mtrr nopl nx pae pat pbe pdcm pebs pge pni pse pse36
                        pti rep_good sep sse sse2 ssse3 syscall tm tm2 tpr_shadow tsc vme vmx
                        xtpr
                        Graphics:
                        Device-1: Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
                        arch: Gen-4 ports: active: VGA-1 empty: none bus-ID: 00:02.0
                        chip-ID: 8086:29c2 class-ID: 0300
                        Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: intel dri: i915
                        gpu: i915 display-ID: :0.0 screens: 1
                        Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1360×768 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 359x203mm (14.13×7.99″)
                        s-diag: 412mm (16.24″)
                        Monitor-1: VGA-1 mapped: VGA1 model: LG (GoldStar) W1642 serial: <filter>
                        res: 1360×768 hz: 60 dpi: 100 size: 344x194mm (13.54×7.64″)
                        diag: 403mm (15.9″) modes: max: 1360×768 min: 720×400
                        API: OpenGL v: 2.1 Mesa 22.3.3 renderer: i915 (: G33) direct-render: Yes
                        Audio:
                        Device-1: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
                        v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 chip-ID: 8086:27d8 class-ID: 0403
                        Sound API: ALSA v: k6.1.18-antix.1-amd64-smp running: yes
                        Network:
                        Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
                        vendor: Intel driver: r8169 v: kernel pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1
                        port: e000 bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168 class-ID: 0200
                        IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
                        IP v4: <filter> scope: global broadcast: <filter>
                        IP v6: <filter> scope: link
                        WAN IP: <filter>
                        Bluetooth:
                        Logical:
                        RAID:
                        Drives:
                        Local Storage: total: 387.27 GiB used: 24.5 MiB (0.0%)
                        ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Toshiba model: MQ01ABD032 size: 298.09 GiB
                        speed: <unknown> type: HDD rpm: 5400 serial: <filter> rev: 1A scheme: MBR
                        ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Western Digital model: WD800BB-00JHC0
                        size: 74.53 GiB speed: <unknown> type: N/A serial: <filter> rev: 1C05
                        scheme: MBR
                        ID-3: /dev/sdc type: USB model: N/A size: 14.65 GiB type: N/A
                        serial: <filter> rev: 2.00 scheme: MBR
                        Optical-1: /dev/sr0 vendor: TSSTcorp model: CDDVDW SH-222AB rev: SB00
                        dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw
                        Features: speed: 48 multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: yes
                        rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running
                        Partition:
                        ID-1: /live/boot-dev raw-size: 1.56 GiB size: <superuser required>
                        used: <superuser required> fs: N/A dev: /dev/ventoy mapped: ventoy
                        label: N/A uuid: N/A
                        ID-2: /media/VTOYEFI size: 31.9 MiB used: 24.5 MiB (76.9%) fs: vfat
                        dev: /dev/sdc2 label: VTOYEFI uuid: 5079-58EC
                        Swap:
                        ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 4 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) priority: -2
                        dev: /dev/sda4 label: swapantiX uuid: 6a515d3a-8993-4fd5-90f5-f60b2b6116aa
                        ID-2: swap-2 type: partition size: 4 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) priority: -3
                        dev: /dev/sdb3 label: N/A uuid: 40b87e28-6855-4d36-8e82-f29381577291
                        Unmounted:
                        ID-1: /dev/dm-0 size: 1.56 GiB fs: <superuser required> label: N/A uuid: N/A
                        ID-2: /dev/sda1 size: 30 GiB fs: ext4 label: rootantiX22
                        uuid: aaaedfc9-ba52-4375-850b-fde98b7c67f0
                        ID-3: /dev/sda2 size: 132.04 GiB fs: ext4 label: N/A
                        uuid: d37aec51-c378-43ef-bd4a-9ea2a87895a7
                        ID-4: /dev/sda3 size: 132.04 GiB fs: ext4 label: N/A
                        uuid: f6000167-0135-48da-a3af-63554371f9f1
                        ID-5: /dev/sdb1 size: 30 GiB fs: ext4 label: rootantiX21
                        uuid: 777693b3-3198-4b6b-861f-b8e109edec4b
                        ID-6: /dev/sdb2 size: 40.53 GiB fs: ext4 label: N/A
                        uuid: 4597cd58-e25f-4adf-a6e6-5a1284ccc427
                        ID-7: /dev/sdc1 size: 14.62 GiB fs: exfat label: Ventoy uuid: 4E21-0000
                        USB:
                        Hub-1: 1-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 8 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s
                        chip-ID: 1d6b:0002 class-ID: 0900
                        Device-1: 1-8:4 info: USB Disk 2.0 type: Mass Storage driver: usb-storage
                        interfaces: 1 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s power: 100mA chip-ID: ffff:5678
                        class-ID: 0806 serial: <filter>
                        Hub-2: 2-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s
                        chip-ID: 1d6b:0001 class-ID: 0900
                        Device-1: 2-2:2 info: Compaq Internet Keyboard type: Keyboard,Mouse
                        driver: hid-generic,usbhid interfaces: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 1.5 Mb/s
                        power: 100mA chip-ID: 049f:000e class-ID: 0301
                        Hub-3: 3-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s
                        Hub-4: 4-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s
                        Hub-5: 5-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s
                        Device-1: 5-1:2 info: USB OPTICAL MOUSE type: Mouse
                        driver: hid-generic,usbhid interfaces: 1 rev: 1.1 speed: 1.5 Mb/s
                        power: 100mA chip-ID: 275d:0ba6 class-ID: 0301
                        Sensors:
                        System Temperatures: cpu: 57.0 C mobo: N/A
                        Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
                        Info:
                        Processes: 112 Uptime: 3m wakeups: 1 Init: runit v: N/A runlevel: 2
                        Compilers: gcc: 12.2.0 alt: 12 Packages: pm: dpkg pkgs: 1617 Shell: Bash
                        v: 5.2.15 running-in: roxterm inxi: 3.3.25
                        $

PPC

@Dave – I suggested, to anticapitalista, that the script that you made available is to be included inside zzzfm’s config files, so I can perform a simple edit to zzzfm’s session file and use it to use the image selected in zzzfm as current wallpaper, using system’s defaults. If users want to change any setting, all they have to do is running the default “wallpaper” script. I decided to follow your lead and keep it simple…

@anticapitalista – please note that there are now 2 merge requests awaiting your acceptance in zzzfm’s git. To avoid complications, I’ll only try to implement further changes if the session file’s commit is accepted (to avoid cumulative merge requests). If you accept the addition of Dave’s script I’ll try to implement at least:
                          – a “set image as wallpaper” contextual menu that uses Dave’s script (instead of feh)
                          – a double click to launch files
                          – possibly adding the “send to” zzzfm GUI I created using zzzfm (instead of yad)

Those are really the most important features. All the rest is just extras…

P.

PPC

@anticapitalista – a “feature” I’ve been thinking about implementing: antiX always starts with the sound volume on a fixed pre-selected level.
                            It would make more sense to save the volume level to a config file at shutdown and at the startup, read that file and set the volume at that level. When I was married I got in trouble several times, booting antiX to watch a movie while my wife was sleeping, with the speakers on, always forgeting that the system did not remember that I had set the volume to a very low level, not to wake anyone up…
                            Note: I have not tested if this still happens in antiX 23…

P.

Forum Admin
                            Dave

@PPC desktop-session already has a sound level setting in it’s config for setting the sound level on startup to a minimal value. I put that in a while back for almost the exact reason you are thinking about it. If you want it to save a value; you should be able to make a file called shutdown in ~/.desktop-session and it should be run at the shutdown of desktop-session. Adding a sed command on the desktop-session.conf file should be able to “save” the volume level.

marcelocripe

$ inxi -zv7
                                System:
                                Kernel: 6.1.18-antix.1-amd64-smp arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
                                v: 12.2.0 Desktop: IceWM v: 3.3.2 dm: slimski v: 1.5.0
                                Distro: antiX-23-beta1-runit_x64-full Grup Yorum 21 March 2023 base: Debian
                                GNU/Linux bookworm/sid
                                Machine:
                                Type: Desktop Mobo: INTELBRAS model: IE-G31TM7 v: 1.0
                                serial: <superuser required> BIOS: American Megatrends v: 080014
                                date: 08/03/2009
                                Battery:
                                Message: No system battery data found. Is one present?
                                Memory:
                                RAM: total: 1.92 GiB used: 327.3 MiB (16.7%)
                                RAM Report: permissions: Unable to run dmidecode. Root privileges
                                required.
                                CPU:
                                Info: dual core model: Pentium E5400 bits: 64 type: MCP smt: <unsupported>
                                arch: Penryn rev: A cache: L1: 128 KiB L2: 2 MiB
                                Speed (MHz): avg: 1200 high: 1203 min/max: 1203/2700 cores: 1: 1203
                                2: 1197 bogomips: 10772
                                Flags: acpi aperfmperf apic arch_perfmon bts clflush cmov constant_tsc
                                cpuid cx16 cx8 de ds_cpl dtes64 dtherm dts est flexpriority fpu fxsr ht
                                lahf_lm lm mca mce mmx monitor msr mtrr nopl nx pae pat pbe pdcm pebs pge
                                pni pse pse36 pti rep_good sep sse sse2 ssse3 syscall tm tm2 tpr_shadow
                                tsc vme vmx vnmi vpid xsave xtpr
                                Graphics:
                                Device-1: Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics vendor: Elite Systems
                                driver: i915 v: kernel arch: Gen-4 ports: active: VGA-1 empty: none
                                bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:29c2 class-ID: 0300
                                Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: intel dri: i915
                                gpu: i915 display-ID: :0.0 screens: 1
                                Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1024×768 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 270x203mm (10.63×7.99″)
                                s-diag: 338mm (13.3″)
                                Monitor-1: VGA-1 mapped: VGA1 model: LG (GoldStar) T710SH serial: <filter>
                                res: 1024×768 hz: 85 dpi: 84 size: 310x230mm (12.2×9.06″)
                                diag: 408mm (16.1″) modes: max: 1024×768 min: 720×400
                                API: OpenGL v: 2.1 Mesa 22.3.3 renderer: i915 (: G33) direct-render: Yes
                                Audio:
                                Device-1: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio vendor: Elite Systems
                                driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 chip-ID: 8086:27d8
                                class-ID: 0403
                                Sound API: ALSA v: k6.1.18-antix.1-amd64-smp running: yes
                                Network:
                                Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros Attansic L2 Fast Ethernet vendor: Elite Systems
                                driver: atl2 v: kernel pcie: speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 port: N/A
                                bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 1969:2048 class-ID: 0200
                                IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
                                IP v4: <filter> scope: global broadcast: <filter>
                                IP v6: <filter> scope: link
                                WAN IP: <filter>
                                Bluetooth:
                                Logical:
                                RAID:
                                Drives:
                                Local Storage: total: 89.18 GiB used: 24.5 MiB (0.0%)
                                ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Maxtor model: STM380815AS size: 74.53 GiB
                                speed: <unknown> type: N/A serial: <filter> rev: B scheme: MBR
                                ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB model: N/A size: 14.65 GiB type: N/A
                                serial: <filter> rev: 2.00 scheme: MBR
                                Optical-1: /dev/sr0 vendor: Optiarc model: DVD RW AD-7240S rev: 1.03
                                dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw
                                Features: speed: 48 multisession: yes audio: yes dvd: yes
                                rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running
                                Partition:
                                ID-1: /live/boot-dev raw-size: 1.56 GiB size: <superuser required>
                                used: <superuser required> fs: N/A dev: /dev/ventoy mapped: ventoy
                                label: N/A uuid: N/A
                                ID-2: /media/VTOYEFI size: 31.9 MiB used: 24.5 MiB (76.9%) fs: vfat
                                dev: /dev/sdb2 label: VTOYEFI uuid: 5079-58EC
                                Swap:
                                ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 4 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) priority: -2
                                dev: /dev/sda3 label: N/A uuid: 3e3fc64e-59c1-48f3-b1da-6cdb62e3e5a4
                                Unmounted:
                                ID-1: /dev/dm-0 size: 1.56 GiB fs: <superuser required> label: N/A uuid: N/A
                                ID-2: /dev/sda1 size: 20 GiB fs: ext4 label: rootantiX22
                                uuid: 6567f736-07ee-418b-9921-19a82d8b353f
                                ID-3: /dev/sda2 size: 50.53 GiB fs: ext4 label: N/A
                                uuid: 8f67e375-7333-4c09-ab67-09fcab57e863
                                ID-4: /dev/sdb1 size: 14.62 GiB fs: exfat label: Ventoy uuid: 4E21-0000
                                USB:
                                Hub-1: 1-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 8 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s
                                chip-ID: 1d6b:0002 class-ID: 0900
                                Device-1: 1-5:4 info: USB Disk 2.0 type: Mass Storage driver: usb-storage
                                interfaces: 1 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s power: 100mA chip-ID: ffff:5678
                                class-ID: 0806 serial: <filter>
                                Device-2: 1-7:5 info: Silicon Motion – Taiwan (formerly Feiya ) USB2.0
                                Card Reader type: Mass Storage driver: usb-storage interfaces: 1 rev: 2.0
                                speed: 480 Mb/s power: 500mA chip-ID: 090c:6300 class-ID: 0806
                                serial: <filter>
                                Hub-2: 2-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s
                                Device-1: 2-1:2 info: Monterey Keyboard type: Keyboard,HID
                                driver: hid-generic,usbhid interfaces: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 1.5 Mb/s
                                power: 100mA chip-ID: 0566:3107 class-ID: 0300
                                Hub-3: 3-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s
                                Device-1: 3-1:2 info: Silicon Labs USB OPTICAL MOUSE type: Mouse
                                driver: hid-generic,usbhid interfaces: 1 rev: 2.0 speed: 1.5 Mb/s
                                power: 100mA chip-ID: 10c4:8108 class-ID: 0301
                                Hub-4: 4-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s
                                Hub-5: 5-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s
                                Sensors:
                                System Temperatures: cpu: 44.0 C mobo: N/A
                                Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
                                Info:
                                Processes: 120 Uptime: 1m wakeups: 1 Init: runit v: N/A runlevel: 2
                                Compilers: gcc: 12.2.0 alt: 12 Packages: pm: dpkg pkgs: 1617 Shell: Bash
                                v: 5.2.15 running-in: roxterm inxi: 3.3.25
                                $

marcelocripe

anticapitalista wrote:
                                  @marcelocripe – can you get some of the people you know with old hardware to try out antiX-23-beta1?
                                  Just trying it live and booting the 6.1 kernel to see if users get to desktop would help.

Anticapitalista, it seems antiX-23-beta1 starting with kernel 6.1.18-antix.1-amd64-smp works fine with Intel video cards. I still can’t get access to the other computers that have different Intel branded video cards.

I’m glad that felipecardope was able to help us by testing antiX-23-beta1.

– – – – –

anticapitalista wrote:
                                  @marcelocripe – can you get some of the people you know with old hardware to try out antiX-23-beta1?
                                  Just trying it live and booting the 6.1 kernel to see if users get to desktop would help.

Anticapitalista, ao que parece o antiX-23-beta1 iniciado com o kernel 6.1.18-antix.1-amd64-smp funciona bem com as placas de vídeo Intel. Eu ainda não consegui ter acesso aos outros computadores que possuem as placas de vídeo diferentes da marca Intel.

Eu fico contente que o felipecardope conseguiu nos ajudar testando o antiX-23-beta1.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 405 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.