antiX-23-beta1-runit-full (64bit) for testing

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23-beta1-runit-full (64bit) for testing

• This topic has 404 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated Jul 16-4:42 am by andfree.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 405 total)
  • Author
    calciumsodium

I see that the broadcom-wl kernel module (wl.ko) is built into the 6.1 antix kernel. Thank you. It works on my hp laptops out of the box without having to build and install an extra kernel module. This will save me a lot of time when I upgrade kernels on these machines.

I have jumped the gun on this statement. Earlier this morning, when I tested this beta1 with 6.1 antiX kernel, without having to install the broadcom-wl (wl.ko) module as an extra kernel module, connman saw a whole bunch of wireless networks. I was very excited about this and wanted to explore further. But I had to go to work. Now I am back home and the news is not as positive. I still see all the wireless networks. But I cannot connect to them. When I switched to ceni, same thing.

When I tried to build and install the broadcom-wl kernel module, the build was successful, but it would not let me install because the error message said that the wl.ko kernel module was already present in the 6.1 antiX kernel.

So, the take-home message, so far is that the wl.ko kernel module present in the 6.1 antiX kernel may not be configured properly for use in my hp laptops.
      However, I can get it to work using the liquorix 6 kernels using the antiX 23 alpha1 system by installing the broadcom-wl kernel module as an extra module:

$ inxi -b
      System:
      Host: antix1 Kernel: 6.2.6-1-liquorix-amd64 arch: x86_64 bits: 64
      Desktop: IceWM v: 3.3.1 Distro: antiX-23-runit_x64 bookworm March 10 2023
      Machine:
      Type: Laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP ProBook 650 G1
      v: A3009DD10203 serial: <superuser required>
      Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 1993 v: KBC Version 16.3C
      serial: <superuser required> UEFI: Hewlett-Packard v: L77 Ver. 01.43
      date: 01/25/2018
      Battery:
      ID-1: BAT0 charge: 42.2 Wh (89.8%) condition: 47.0/47.0 Wh (100.0%)
      CPU:
      Info: dual core Intel Core i5-4200M [MT MCP] speed (MHz): avg: 2501
      min/max: 800/2501
      Graphics:
      Device-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915
      v: kernel
      Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.6 driver: X: loaded: modesetting
      unloaded: fbdev,vesa gpu: i915 resolution: 1366×768~60Hz
      OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 4600 (HSW GT2)
      v: 4.6 Mesa 22.3.3
      Network:
      Device-1: Intel Ethernet I217-V driver: e1000e
      Device-2: Broadcom BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n driver: wl
      Drives:
      Local Storage: total: 465.76 GiB used: 4.66 GiB (1.0%)
      Info:
      Processes: 157 Uptime: 15m Memory: 7.66 GiB used: 888.2 MiB (11.3%)
      Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.19

Brian Masinick

We may need to take a closer look; I found a scenario, after a long pause of not actively using the system, then returning to the system that led to some WiFi instability.

I’ve not repeated the behavior after reboot, but since you are also seeing a problem I think we need a deeper look to see what’s going on.
        I won’t have time to do proper log examination and verification today, but I will attempt to follow up in that area soon too.

Meanwhile, @calciumsodium, if you can find something helpful, I’ll check similar things when I have more time to “dig in”. Thanks!

--
        Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
        anticapitalista

@all

All (or almost all) non-free options in the Package Installer are broken (no surprise really).
          That includes browsers, vpn etc that are from 3rd party sources.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Brian Masinick

@all

All (or almost all) non-free options in the Package Installer are broken (no surprise really).
            That includes browsers, vpn etc that are from 3rd party sources.

I’ll give that some time before testing. Meanwhile, I copied my personally maintained browser collection from my antiX 22 instance to my antiX 23 testing instance. The EXCITING news for me is that I can now test antiX 23 on my newer HP-14 without having to build up the kernel, module, and WiFi configuration myself. We may have a few network management issues with the environment; time will tell, and if so, we’ll iron them out; in the meantime it’s GREAT to be able to test this new software on my newest hardware!

--
            Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

@anticapitalista- I think I fixed the bugs on the IceWM Manager script… Just download, unzip and run the script – every feature should work (I did not, of course, mess with the localization)

Edit: I’m thinking about adding 2 more extra features:
              1- group windows on the toolbar (I tested it, but do not like this feature- a new user recently asked about how to do that on the forum- partly that was what got me thinking about creating a script to manager IceWM, because I got into some experiments just around that time).
              2- something that, for me, should be a default in IceWM – have only one network info square on the system tray (there’s an option that makes IceWM check what is being used- wi-fi or ethernet and display info only about that connection. Does anyone use wifi at the same time as a cabled connection?)

If I have the time, I’ll take a shot at it

P.

PPC – while I did not retest every option yet, I downloaded your latest image and gave it a quick examination; so far so good.
              More testing with it AND antiX 23 together in the days ahead.

--
              Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
                pinxi -b
                System:
                  Host: antixBeta-hp-14-fq-1025 Kernel: 6.1.18-antix.1-amd64-smp arch: x86_64
                    bits: 64 Desktop: IceWM v: 3.3.2 Distro: antiX-23-beta1-runit_x64-full Grup
                    Yorum 21 March 2023
                Machine:
                  Type: Laptop System: HP product: HP Laptop 14-fq1xxx v: N/A
                    serial: <superuser required>
                  Mobo: HP model: 887C v: 59.11 serial: <superuser required> UEFI: AMI
                    v: F.18 date: 11/26/2021
                Battery:
                  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 40.6 Wh (99.8%) condition: 40.7/40.7 Wh (100.0%)
                CPU:
                  Info: 6-core AMD Ryzen 5 5500U with Radeon Graphics [MT MCP] speed (MHz):
                    avg: 1457 min/max: 1400/4056
                Graphics:
                  Device-1: AMD Lucienne driver: amdgpu v: kernel
                  Device-2: Chicony HP TrueVision HD Camera type: USB driver: uvcvideo
                  Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: amdgpu
                    unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa dri: radeonsi gpu: amdgpu
                    resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
                  API: OpenGL v: 4.6 Mesa 22.3.3 renderer: AMD Radeon Graphics (renoir LLVM
                    15.0.6 DRM 3.49 6.1.18-antix.1-amd64-smp)
                Network:
                  Device-1: Realtek driver: rtw89_8852ae
                Drives:
                  Local Storage: total: 238.47 GiB used: 19.38 GiB (8.1%)
                Info:
                  Processes: 239 Uptime: 1h 53m Memory: 7.1 GiB used: 2.07 GiB (29.1%)
                  Shell: Bash pinxi: 3.3.25-5

--
                Brian Masinick

olsztyn

@olsztyn – you must have that version pinned since the latest in Debian bookworm is 1.5.18-1
                  http://packages.debian.org/bookworm/system-config-printer
                  1.5.18-1nosystemd is available in antiX-22 repo, but for some reason it spits out a message that some elogind library is missing when built for antiX-23

Just to add to my prior note:
                  – Existing antiX-specific system-config-printer bunch ver. 1.5.16-1.0nosystemd1 has been working all along in my antiX 23 Alpha:
                  – I have not seen 1.5.18-1 nosystemd version but if I find one I will test on antiX 23 Beta.
                  – For the lack of other option (debian version 1.5.18-1 of system-config-printer does not work without libelogind0), I have re-installed the last antiX specific version (1.5.16-1.0nosystemd1) on antiX 23 Beta and it works just fine. Just as it has been working on Alpha.

At this point it appears I have a fully functional antiX 23 Beta, including configuration of printers. Printing has been tested to work as expected, just as in antiX 23 Alpha.
                  Looks like I have no material issues with antiX 23 Beta at this point. It seems ready for prime time now…
                  Thanks again, anticapitalista.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                  http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

ile

zzzfm Toolbar, View icons Compact and Detailed

icewm the buttons work as expected.
                    jwm the buttons give unusual, odd behavior.
                    fluxbox the buttons give unusual, odd behavior.
                    Toolbar icon odd is different than the file menu View Style and
                    matches cntrl+6, cntrl+7

Wallon

Dear ile,

I also confirm. There are bugs in the display of zzzfm in jwm. Sometimes, not always, in detailed list mode, the file name disappears and the details of the other columns appear. zzzfm is not stable.
                      This is a strange behaviour.

Best regards,
                      Wallon

Wallon

antiX-updater

Has anyone checked the first sentence in bold above the window in the English version? “There are at least, 5, one or more updates available.

The French translation is strange. I can change the sentence in French but it will not match the sentence in English.

If I click on the right button “Manual update”, the window closes and there is nothing thereafter.

Please tell me if the English sentence will be changed?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Wallon.
                        Attachments:
                        RJP

Create link from /usr/share/applications is not working in zzzFM, but is working via command line or copying the item.

PPC

The French translation is strange. I can change the sentence in French but it will not match the sentence in English.

If I click on the right button “Manual update”, the window closes and there is nothing thereafter.

Please tell me if the English sentence will be changed?

Complaint to the folks that localized the text to French- not sure if it was you 🙂
                            That sentence has 2 parts, one before the variable with the number of updates, another after the number. The “une” part at the start of the second part is, I assume, what’s wrong, but my french is terrible.

The English original does not need to be changed, only the french localization. Localization is perfect in pt and pt-br. Do not blame the original script for a bad localization…

I tested, both Auto and Manual updates, on my live antiX 23 beta1. They both work fine, here…

P.

PPC

jwm the buttons give unusual, odd behavior.
                              fluxbox the buttons give unusual, odd behavior.

zzzfm is fine, this is my fault – the way those buttons work is by creating a shortcut key to each of the ways to display files and then fake pressing those buttons. I’ll have to change the “shortcut keys” to something else, because they do something else in Jwm and Fluxbox … Sorry for the inconvenience… This is a beta, remember that, we are ironing out bugs…

P.

caprea

RE: system-config-printer

On a live-usb running antiX-23-beta1-runit_x64-full, after apt update, I downloaded from this side,because 1.5.18 nosystemd is only available from there
                                http://mirror.23m.com/mx-packages/antix/bullseye/pool/nosystemd/s/system-config-printer/

python3-cupshelpers_1.5.18-1.0nosystemd1_all.deb
                                system-config-printer-common_1.5.18-1.0nosystemd1_all.deb
                                system-config-printer_1.5.18-1.0nosystemd1_all.deb

and installed them in the above order

After that opened system-config-printer from terminal and it worked as expected.Only it gave some gtk deprecated Warnings.

Ah, after reading all I see it happens during the building for antiX23…

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by caprea.
                                Attachments:
                                PPC

@caprea – that works!
                                  On me live antiX 23beta1, I had to launch runit service manager and enable Cups… then in the Terminal:
                                  sudo service cups start

Went to the Control Centre and from there, Printer and antiX detected my printer

P.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 405 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.