antiX-23-beta2 iso files for testing

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23-beta2 iso files for testing

• This topic has 346 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated Sep 4-11:45 am by anticapitalista.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 347 total)
  • Author
    fmc000

OK, thank you. It took me only 5 minutes to “upgrade” from beta1 to beta2 keeping all my files, so no big deal. Everything looks good so far.

Brian Masinick

Is it possible to update from beta1 to beta2 directly without having to install the new ISO?

No. But anticapitalista said he’s 99% sure it will work going from this beta (2) to the final release.

what about from antix 22 to 23?

I’m pretty sure that’s a no; I used to regularly update antiX, but I had two versions that were not standard: one was set up to use packages from Testing, and I also had an antiX Core instance that I used for a long time; that was also a “rolling release” because I had it set to Sid – Unstable.

Two distributions I know of (and their derivatives) are rolling releases – they are PCLinuxOS and Arch Linux and derivatives, such as the EndeavourOS I also use. Even these distributions typically release ISO images a few times a year at least, but it is possible to update them for years; their new images simply make it easier to get up to date if you haven’t updated them or built them in a while; MX Linux, antiX, and Debian, plus their derivatives, are all release based distributions in Stable form; to utilize them as Rolling Releases (like siduction) you have to use a continually updating repository.

--
        Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

One thing you can usually do when you have an Alpha or Beta release; you can reuse the partition without rewriting the partition from scratch; that can save you some changes; however, when you move to a release, it’s good to completely rework it; that’s where backup and restore comes in handy.

Either back up or copy your files somewhere else; if I have the room, I copy them to one of my other active distributions; or if the files are common to both, I copy the directories that are common and separately copy and save the files that are different, and then restore all of them by copying them between systems; that works great and simplifies a fresh installation.

--
          Brian Masinick

wasp

Perfect! It also works the bluetooth that in the previous version gave me problems…

Machine:
            Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 81MT v: Lenovo V145-15AST
            serial: <superuser required>
            Mobo: LENOVO model: LNVNB161216 v: No DPK serial: <superuser required>
            UEFI: LENOVO v: 8ZCN25WW(V2.04) date: 12/26/2019

And the name given to the distro is sublime!

siam del popolo gli arditi…

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by wasp.
            PPC

My feedback on the beta2:

– Incredibly, it boots correctly, on my Dell desktop (all other antiX versions I tested failed to work correctly with auto-login. I had to restart the session and manually enter username/password to correctly log in)- very, very nice!!!
              – Still love the default wallpaper
              – I loved the default IceWM theme- not because I adapted it, but because it makes sense, in every detail I can think of- unlike most themes:
              the background of the focused desktop is a shade of blue, the focused window’s taskbar entry is a shade of blue, the focused menu entry is a share of blue, when the user hovers on the window button… you guessed it, they turn blue (except the close button, that turns red)… the only exception, where the currently selecting object is not blue is the focused window’s title (because I think using that accent color would be too flashy, for a dark theme), but non focused windows are easy to spot, because the title is almost completely grayed out. (the wallpaper, the theme, and the more streamlined menu, with the app searcher on top will probably make antiX look and feel more modern and easy to use- and it’s just that, modern and easier than ever to use, and looks great too)
              – I loved that app-select already includes the new plug-ins (most of them created by BobC, some adapted or created by me)- users can now use app-select’s contextual menu to easily pin/unpin any application on the toolbar, on the Personal Menu or on the (zzz) desktop- a feature most people are used from other OSes, that now works in an intuitive way (although not drag-and-drop).
              – Users now can use a GUI, from inside Controle Centre, to configure the most used IceWM settings from a single place – I know new users still need to know how to get to that, but at least, they don’t have to edit config files (that scares most people that seem to think that typing the wrong thing may blow up their computer)
              – Including antiX-updater, debinstaller and the new Package Installer (now with access to everything on the Debian and antiX repositories) is an easy way to update antiX or install/remove almost anything!
              – Even the pt menu localization that were recently inserted are now used. almost all possible antiX menu entries are localized (in pt, by my fault a single entry on the “antiX” sub-menu is not localized “antiX-work-space-manager”, all other entries are now much more intuitive for new users)
              – Zzzfm improved a bit – the “Trash” bookmark is now localized (it’s name is extracted from trash.desktop, so it only works for the languages that are in that .desktop file- if your language is missing, please help localize that .desktop file!), the “-> Wallpaper” contextual menu now uses the currently selected image file as wallpaper, using the script Dave created (that uses the current defaults selected for the wallpaper image- like “stretch”, etc)
              – Fluxbox, for the first time ever, includes a “Menu” and “show desktop” buttons, making it easier for newbies to test this great window manager (it still does not accept icon “quick-launchers”, but users can create new “text” quick launchers, even using glyphs as “pseudo-icons”, specially if they install the symbola font, and force it as fluxbox toolbar font- there’s a forum entry about that)
              – In Control Centre – the entries to manually edit the window manager’s options are now all on the same column (my OCD thanks the Devs)
              – My thanks to anticapitalista for including the (very slightly) updated set time and date script, that looks a bit better and its even easier to set the date… (probably only handy for people with dead CMOS batteries)
              – Control Centre is getting tool-tips (great for new users!- Thanks to Robin)- yes, localization for the tool-tips is work in progress, don’t panic, non English speaking users!
              – If you need to better localize your system, now the User Language GUI is localized (at least in pt), handy!
              – In IceWM, the new default keybinding, Windows + arrow keys to tile windows is now active!- they are very, very intuitive
              – Pipewire is now available in Package Installer – maybe it can help people with sound problems?
              – I’m particularly pleased that skippy-xd is now included in antiX full, out of the box – we’ll have to adjust icewm and jwm toolbar config files to allow easy access to it.- For all those that do not know this tool- it’s a real time graphic preview of all non minimized windows (minimized windows just show their icon)- this is something that most OSes include out of the box, and now, so does, antiX! Many thanks for that usability tweak! (note: perhaps we should create a .desktop file for skippy-xd, so users that want this feature can easily add it to the toolbar, if no icon for it is there already…)

Problems:
              -The “florence” virtual keyboard disappears as soon as I click any of it’s keys…
              – The option to show a big icon for the toolbar and system tray icons, when the mouse hovers on them should be on by default, not only it’s beautiful, it’s handy for people with bad eyesight.
              – at least on my Dell desktop PC (the one that had trouble with out log-in), changing desktops closes the open apps… For the first time I tried, then it worked perfectly… strange…
              – and that’s it, I did not notice anything more, for now…

Missing localizations (yes, I know this is still a beta, just mentioning it, so nothing gets forgotten):
              – Control Centre’s title is not localized
              – For some reason, Exit Session’s title window was never localized, at least not in pt (and I think I just reported this now for the first time???)
              – The new app-select plug-ins require localization, I know, it uses it’s own localization system…
              – in control Centre, on the software tab, “antiX program remover” is not localized (at least not in pt). Please note that you can’t use this option to remove an installed application. It just cleans up packages left on the system when you removed other packages- so newbies will be puzzled by this entry…
              – in control centre- the “default applications” script still is not fully localized: “free choice” and “back2 are not localized (at least not in pt). The generic buttons “Cancel” and “Apply” are not localized across all languages (they are not in pt, I think that only works in French?)
              – in control centre- “sci bus rescan” has no icon? (and is not localized, but it’s very hard to localize that expression)

Suggestions:
              – the community made antix screen shot tool should be included by default, or, at least available from Package Installer?
              – On Package Installer, include “Heroic Game Launcher” (the open source Epic Store equivalent for Linux). Add LibreWolf browser (it’s like a “De-Mozillaed Firefox”) and, just for kicks, also include MS Edge Web Browser (on a more serious tone- it can be handy, for users that do have to use Ms tools, like outlook on-line, or MS 365/Office 365. they can have that particular browser for that end- not get me wrong- I tested Edge- it looks great, has some nice features, and was not that heavy- but using it’s like signing over to MS the deed for all your data, but you know, on Linux, not on Windows).
              – Change IceWM’s “suspend” setting to use antiX’s suspend script (I just recently noticed that tiny problem)

Many thanks for this great OS, anticapitalista, and the rest of the team!

P.

mcpderez

I used Live USB Maker from my beta1 installation to write the beta2 x64_full iso to a flash drive. Running from the live USB, conky is showing a constant disk activity of 1.0M (+/- ~0.1M). Screenshot attached. I think similar behavior has been seen during past testing, but I don’t have time at the moment to search for how that was resolved. I installed iotop and I could see every other sample showing a Disk Write of ~1925K. While I was reading the man page for iotop and playing with the sorting, the disk activity stopped. By this time the system had been up for about 30 minutes. It’s time for me to sleep, but I will try again later with a different flash drive. Meanwhile, I wanted to bring this to everyone’s attention and see if anyone else is noticing this behavior.

$ inxi -Fxz
                System:
                  Kernel: 6.1.31-antix.1-amd64-smp arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
                    v: 12.2.0 Desktop: IceWM v: 3.4.0 Distro: antiX-23-beta2-runit_x64-full
                    Arditi del Popolo 11 June 2023 base: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
                Machine:
                  Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 343522U v: ThinkPad X230 Tablet
                  Mobo: LENOVO model: 343522U serial: <superuser required> UEFI: LENOVO
                    v: GCETB1WW (2.71 ) date: 06/19/2018
                Battery:
                  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 41.0 Wh (69.3%) condition: 59.2/62.2 Wh (95.2%)
                    volts: 11.4 min: 11.1 model: LGC 45N1079 status: discharging
                CPU:
                  Info: dual core model: Intel Core i5-3320M bits: 64 type: MT MCP
                    arch: Ivy Bridge rev: 9 cache: L1: 128 KiB L2: 512 KiB L3: 3 MiB
                  Speed (MHz): avg: 1922 high: 2095 min/max: 1200/3300 cores: 1: 2095
                    2: 1599 3: 1976 4: 2021 bogomips: 20751
                  Flags: avx ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
                Graphics:
                  Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics vendor: Lenovo driver: i915
                    v: kernel arch: Gen-7 bus-ID: 00:02.0
                  Device-2: Chicony Integrated Camera [ThinkPad] type: USB driver: uvcvideo
                    bus-ID: 1-1.6:6
                  Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: modesetting
                    unloaded: fbdev,vesa dri: crocus gpu: i915 resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
                  API: OpenGL v: 4.2 Mesa 22.3.6 renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 4000 (IVB
                    GT2) direct-render: Yes
                Audio:
                  Device-1: Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Definition Audio vendor: Lenovo 7
                    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
                  Sound API: ALSA v: k6.1.31-antix.1-amd64-smp running: yes
                Network:
                  Device-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network vendor: Lenovo driver: e1000e
                    v: kernel port: 6080 bus-ID: 00:19.0
                  IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
                  Device-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] driver: iwlwifi
                    v: kernel bus-ID: 03:00.0
                  IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
                Drives:
                  Local Storage: total: 234.48 GiB used: 1.64 GiB (0.7%)
                  ID-1: /dev/sda model: SATA SSD size: 119.24 GiB
                  ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Kingston model: DataTraveler 3.0
                    size: 115.23 GiB
                Partition:
                Swap:
                  Alert: No swap data was found.
                Sensors:
                  System Temperatures: cpu: 47.0 C mobo: N/A
                  Fan Speeds (RPM): fan-1: 2975
                Info:
                  Processes: 141 Uptime: 19m Memory: 11.51 GiB used: 521 MiB (4.4%)
                  Init: runit runlevel: 2 Compilers: gcc: 12.2.0 Packages: 1656 Shell: Bash
                  v: 5.2.15 inxi: 3.3.25
                Attachments:
                Forum Admin
                anticapitalista

@mcpderez – Please post pstree output on that device. – thanks

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

mcpderez

Here you go. It isn’t doing it on this boot (at least not yet — it may have taken a while to start — I didn’t notice it until I had already been running 15 minutes or so). But when it was doing it, I did run pstree and it looked the same as this, except at that time I did not have firefox-esr open.

$ pstree
                    runit─┬─conky───6*[{conky}]
                          ├─dbus-daemon
                          ├─dbus-launch
                          ├─devmon───udevil
                          ├─firefox-esr─┬─2*[Isolated Web Co───20*[{Isolated Web Co}]]
                          │             ├─Privileged Cont───19*[{Privileged Cont}]
                          │             ├─Socket Process───6*[{Socket Process}]
                          │             ├─3*[Web Content───14*[{Web Content}]]
                          │             ├─WebExtensions───19*[{WebExtensions}]
                          │             └─103*[{firefox-esr}]
                          ├─roxterm───bash───pstree
                          ├─runsvdir─┬─runsv───connmand
                          │          ├─runsv───dbus-daemon
                          │          ├─3*[runsv───getty]
                          │          ├─runsv───seatd
                          │          ├─runsv───slimski─┬─Xorg───7*[{Xorg}]
                          │          │                 └─desktop-session───icewm-session───icewm
                          │          └─runsv───udevd
                          ├─startup───volumeicon
                          ├─wpa_supplicant
                          └─zzzfm
                    • This reply was modified 10 months ago by mcpderez.
                    marcelocripe

Hello anticapitalista.

First of all, thank you very much for allowing us to help you look at antiX 23 beta 2.

I won’t have much time with the computer on the Gigabyte GA-VM900M motherboard, so I started beta 2 tests with it.

The 64-bit antiX 23 beta2 full runit ISO on the Gigabyte GA-VM900M motherboard, when started with kernel 5.10.181 it was possible to start with graphics mode and it was possible to change the resolution from 800×660 to 1024×768. The same motherboard with kernel 6.1.31 failed to start graphics mode. Boot process stopped on black screen with some error messages. The screen was flickering all the time, meaning the text and image were constantly appearing and disappearing. The problem is similar to the ones that occurred in ISO antiX 23 full beta1 64-bit runit.

Thanks for keeping the 5.10.XX series kernel in the full ISO.

Next, I will comment on what my eyes immediately saw. I can only help by looking at the details.

– – – – –

Olá anticapitalista.

Antes de mais nada, muito obrigado por nos permitir te ajudar a olhar para o antiX 23 beta 2.

Eu não terei mais muito tempo com o computador da placa-mãe Gigabyte GA-VM900M, por isso eu comecei com ela os testes da beta 2.

A ISO antiX 23 beta2 full runit de 64 bits na placa-mãe Gigabyte GA-VM900M, quando foi iniciada com o kernel 5.10.181 foi possível iniciar com o modo gráfico e foi possível alterar a resolução de 800×660 para 1024×768. A mesma placa-mãe com o kernel 6.1.31 não conseguiu iniciar o modo gráfico. O processo de inicialização parou na tela preta com algumas mensagens de erro. A tela ficava piscando o tempo todo, ou seja, o texto e a imagem aparecia e desaparecia constantemente. O problema é semelhante aos que ocorreram na ISO antiX 23 full beta1 runit de 64 bits.

Obrigado por manter o kernel da série 5.10.XX na ISO full.

A seguir, eu irei comentar o que os meus olhos viram de imediato. Eu só posso ajudar observando os detalhes.

demo@antix1:~
                      $ inxi -zv7
                      System:
                      Kernel: 5.10.181-antix.1-amd64-smp arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
                      v: 12.2.0 Desktop: IceWM v: 3.4.0 dm: slimski v: 1.5.0
                      Distro: antiX-23-beta2-runit_x64-full Arditi del Popolo 11 June 2023
                      base: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
                      Machine:
                      Type: Desktop Mobo: Gigabyte model: VM900M v: Rev2.0
                      serial: <superuser required> BIOS: Award v: FD date: 09/14/2007
                      Battery:
                      Memory:
                      RAM: total: 1.85 GiB used: 308.2 MiB (16.2%)
                      RAM Report: permissions: Unable to run dmidecode. Root privileges
                      required.
                      CPU:
                      Info: dual core model: Intel 2140 bits: 64 type: MCP smt: <unsupported>
                      arch: Core2 Merom rev: 2 cache: L1: 128 KiB L2: 1024 KiB
                      Speed (MHz): avg: 1206 min/max: N/A cores: 1: 1206 2: 1206 bogomips: 6430
                      Flags: acpi aperfmperf apic arch_perfmon bts clflush cmov constant_tsc
                      cpuid cx16 cx8 de ds_cpl dtes64 dtherm dts est fpu fxsr ht lahf_lm lm mca
                      mce mmx monitor msr mtrr nopl nx pae pat pbe pdcm pebs pge pni pse pse36
                      pti rep_good sep sse sse2 ssse3 syscall tm tm2 tsc vme xtpr
                      Graphics:
                      Device-1: VIA CN896/VN896/P4M900 [Chrome 9 HC] vendor: Gigabyte
                      driver: viafb v: kernel bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 1106:3371 class-ID: 0300
                      Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: openchrome
                      unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa dri: swrast gpu: viafb display-ID: :0.0
                      screens: 1
                      Screen-1: 0 s-res: 800×600 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 211x158mm (8.31×6.22″)
                      s-diag: 264mm (10.38″)
                      Monitor-1: VGA-1 res: 800×600 hz: 85 dpi: 77 size: 265x199mm (10.43×7.83″)
                      diag: 331mm (13.05″) modes: N/A
                      API: OpenGL v: 4.5 Mesa 22.3.6 renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 15.0.6 128 bits)
                      direct-render: Yes
                      Audio:
                      Device-1: VIA VX900/VT8xxx High Definition Audio vendor: Gigabyte
                      driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 80:01.0 chip-ID: 1106:3288
                      class-ID: 0403
                      Sound API: ALSA v: k5.10.181-antix.1-amd64-smp running: yes
                      Network:
                      Device-1: VIA VT6102/VT6103 [Rhine-II] vendor: Gigabyte driver: via-rhine
                      v: N/A port: d000 bus-ID: 00:12.0 chip-ID: 1106:3065 class-ID: 0200
                      IF: eth0 state: unknown speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
                      IP v4: <filter> scope: global broadcast: <filter>
                      IP v6: <filter> scope: link
                      WAN IP: <filter>
                      Bluetooth:
                      Logical:
                      RAID:
                      Drives:
                      Local Storage: total: 14.65 GiB used: 24.5 MiB (0.2%)
                      ID-1: /dev/sda type: USB model: N/A size: 14.65 GiB type: N/A
                      serial: <filter> rev: 2.00 scheme: MBR
                      Floppy-1: /dev/fd0
                      Partition:
                      ID-1: /live/boot-dev raw-size: 1.63 GiB size: <superuser required>
                      used: <superuser required> fs: N/A dev: /dev/ventoy mapped: ventoy
                      label: N/A uuid: N/A
                      ID-2: /media/VTOYEFI size: 31.9 MiB used: 24.5 MiB (76.9%) fs: vfat
                      dev: /dev/sda2 label: VTOYEFI uuid: 5079-58EC
                      Swap:
                      Alert: No swap data was found.
                      Unmounted:
                      ID-1: /dev/dm-0 size: 1.63 GiB fs: <superuser required> label: N/A uuid: N/A
                      ID-2: /dev/sda1 size: 14.62 GiB fs: exfat label: Ventoy uuid: 4E21-0000
                      USB:
                      Hub-1: 1-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 8 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s
                      chip-ID: 1d6b:0002 class-ID: 0900
                      Device-1: 1-7:3 info: USB Disk 2.0 type: Mass Storage driver: usb-storage
                      interfaces: 1 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s power: 100mA chip-ID: ffff:5678
                      class-ID: 0806 serial: <filter>
                      Hub-2: 2-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s
                      chip-ID: 1d6b:0001 class-ID: 0900
                      Device-1: 2-2:2 info: Trust B.V. Optical Mouse type: Mouse
                      driver: hid-generic,usbhid interfaces: 1 rev: 1.1 speed: 1.5 Mb/s
                      power: 100mA chip-ID: 15d9:0a4f class-ID: 0301
                      Hub-3: 3-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s
                      Hub-4: 4-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s
                      Hub-5: 5-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s
                      Sensors:
                      System Temperatures: cpu: 52.0 C mobo: N/A
                      Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
                      Info:
                      Processes: 113 Uptime: 6m wakeups: 21 Init: runit v: N/A runlevel: 2
                      Compilers: gcc: 12.2.0 alt: 12 Packages: pm: dpkg pkgs: 1656 Shell: Bash
                      v: 5.2.15 running-in: roxterm inxi: 3.3.25
                      $

$ inxi -G
                      Graphics:
                      Device-1: VIA CN896/VN896/P4M900 [Chrome 9 HC] driver: viafb v: kernel
                      Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: openchrome
                      unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa dri: swrast gpu: viafb
                      resolution: 1024×768~60Hz
                      API: OpenGL v: 4.5 Mesa 22.3.6 renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 15.0.6 128 bits)
                      $

marcelocripe

The menus that still need to be translated are from the “.desktop” files: edit-antix-startup-file.desktop, libreoffice-calc.desktop, libreoffice-draw.desktop.

The JWM window manager has not yet benefited from the improvements to the text translations that were made available in antiX’s GitLab. (Many thanks for approving my merge requests on GitLab)

– – – – –

Os menus que ainda faltam ser traduzidos são dos arquivos “.desktop”: edit-antix-startup-file.desktop, libreoffice-calc.desktop, libreoffice-draw.desktop.

O gerenciador de janelas JWM ainda não foi beneficiado com as melhorias dos textos das traduções que foram disponibilizadas no GitLab do antiX. (Muito obrigado por aprovar os meus pedidos de mesclagens no GitLab)

christophe

Congratulations. This is indeed the best antiX yet. 🙂

On my first test system (32-bit), the zzz-icewm desktop: conky disappears from the screen occasionally when a window gets opened. This does not seem to happen on rox-icewm & regular icewm. (I haven’t tested others very much yet.)

edit: seems to be happening on zzz-icewm only.

System:
                            Kernel: 5.10.181-antix.1-486-smp arch: i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc v: 12.2.0
                              parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.10.181-antix.1-486-smp
                              root=UUID=e82e393d-adc4-46a1-8bcd-ac326d9c07ec ro quiet selinux=0
                            Desktop: IceWM v: 3.4.0 wm: JWM v: 2.4.4 dm: slimski v: 1.5.0 Distro: antiX-23-beta2_386-full
                              Arditi del Popolo 11 June 2023 base: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
                          Machine:
                            Type: Portable System: Dell product: Latitude D420 v: N/A serial: <superuser required> Chassis:
                              type: 8 serial: <superuser required>
                            Mobo: Dell model: N/A serial: <superuser required> BIOS: Dell v: A07 date: 06/04/2008
                          Battery:
                            ID-1: BAT0 charge: 47.7 Wh (99.2%) condition: 48.1/48.8 Wh (98.4%) volts: 12.4 min: 11.1
                              model: Sanyo DELL FG4516 type: Li-ion serial: <filter> status: charging
                          Memory:
                            RAM: total: 1.96 GiB used: 942.4 MiB (47.1%)
                            RAM Report: permissions: Unable to run dmidecode. Root privileges required.
                          PCI Slots:
                            Permissions: Unable to run dmidecode. Root privileges required.
                          CPU:
                            Info: model: Intel Core Duo U2500 bits: 32 type: MCP arch: M Yonah built: 2006-08
                              process: Intel 65nm family: 6 model-id: 0xE (14) stepping: 0xC (12) microcode: 0x54
                            Topology: cpus: 1x cores: 2 smt: <unsupported> cache: L1: 128 KiB desc: d-2x32 KiB; i-2x32 KiB
                              L2: 2 MiB desc: 1x2 MiB
                            Speed (MHz): avg: 897 high: 997 min/max: 800/1200 scaling: driver: acpi-cpufreq
                              governor: schedutil cores: 1: 997 2: 798 bogomips: 4788
                            Flags: acpi aperfmperf apic arch_perfmon bts clflush cmov constant_tsc cpuid cx8 de dtherm dts
                              est fpu fxsr ht mca mce mmx monitor msr mtrr nx pae pbe pdcm pge pni pse sep sse sse2 tm tm2
                              tsc vme vmx xtpr
                            Vulnerabilities:
                            Type: itlb_multihit status: KVM: VMX disabled
                            Type: l1tf status: Vulnerable
                            Type: mds status: Vulnerable: Clear CPU buffers attempted, no microcode; SMT disabled
                            Type: meltdown status: Vulnerable
                            Type: mmio_stale_data status: Unknown: No mitigations
                            Type: retbleed status: Not affected
                            Type: spec_store_bypass status: Not affected
                            Type: spectre_v1 mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
                            Type: spectre_v2 mitigation: Retpolines, STIBP: disabled, RSB filling, PBRSB-eIBRS: Not
                              affected
                            Type: srbds status: Not affected
                            Type: tsx_async_abort status: Not affected
                          Graphics:
                            Device-1: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics vendor: Dell driver: i915
                              v: kernel arch: Gen-3.5 process: Intel 90nm built: 2005-06 ports: active: LVDS-1
                              empty: DVI-D-1,SVIDEO-1,VGA-1 bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:27a2 class-ID: 0300
                            Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: intel unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa
                              dri: i915 gpu: i915 display-ID: :0.0 screens: 1
                            Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1280x800 s-dpi: 96 s-size: 338x211mm (13.31x8.31") s-diag: 398mm (15.69")
                            Monitor-1: LVDS-1 mapped: LVDS1 model: Seiko Epson 0x3157 built: 2005 res: 1280x800 hz: 60
                              dpi: 125 gamma: 1.2 chroma: red: x: 0.580 y: 0.341 green: x: 0.310 y: 0.549 blue: x: 0.153
                              y: 0.153 white: x: 0.314 y: 0.329 size: 260x160mm (10.24x6.3") diag: 308mm (12.1") ratio: 16:10
                              modes: 1280x800
                            API: OpenGL v: 2.1 Mesa 22.3.6 renderer: i915 (: 945GM) direct-render: Yes
                          Audio:
                            Device-1: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel
                              v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 chip-ID: 8086:27d8 class-ID: 0403
                            Sound API: ALSA v: k5.10.181-antix.1-486-smp running: yes
                          Network:
                            Device-1: Ralink RT2500 Wireless 802.11bg vendor: Belkin F5D7010 v2000/v3000 driver: rt2500pci
                              v: 2.3.0 modules: wl bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 1814:0201 class-ID: 0280
                            IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
                            IP v4: <filter> scope: global broadcast: <filter>
                            IP v6: <filter> scope: global
                            IP v6: <filter> type: dynamic mngtmpaddr scope: global
                            IP v6: <filter> scope: link
                            Device-2: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5752 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express vendor: Dell driver: tg3
                              v: kernel pcie: gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 port: N/A bus-ID: 09:00.0 chip-ID: 14e4:1600
                              class-ID: 0200
                            IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
                            IF-ID-1: tun0 state: unknown speed: 10 Mbps duplex: full mac: N/A
                            IP v4: <filter> scope: global
                            Message: Output throttled. IPs: 2; Limit: 10; Override: --limit [1-x;-1 all]
                            WAN IP: <filter>
                          Bluetooth:
                          Logical:
                          RAID:
                          Drives:
                            Local Storage: total: 55.89 GiB used: 6.32 GiB (11.3%)
                            SMART Message: Unable to run smartctl. Root privileges required.
                            ID-1: /dev/sda maj-min: 8:0 vendor: Toshiba model: MK6008GAH size: 55.89 GiB block-size:
                              physical: 512 B logical: 512 B speed: <unknown> type: N/A serial: <filter> rev: 1A scheme: MBR
                          Partition:
                            ID-1: / raw-size: 8 GiB size: 7.78 GiB (97.21%) used: 4.24 GiB (54.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
                              maj-min: 8:5 label: antiX23 uuid: e82e393d-adc4-46a1-8bcd-ac326d9c07ec
                            ID-2: /mnt/shared raw-size: 15 GiB size: 14.66 GiB (97.77%) used: 2.09 GiB (14.2%) fs: ext4
                              dev: /dev/sda7 maj-min: 8:7 label: shared uuid: 04fc25c8-8a76-494c-b3f3-31a17ea90baa
                          Swap:
                            Kernel: swappiness: 10 (default 60) cache-pressure: 50 (default 100)
                            ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 1023 MiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) priority: -2 dev: /dev/sda8
                              maj-min: 8:8 label: swap uuid: b2f58c3e-37ea-4e6e-81b8-f2b4527c1e1d
                          Unmounted:
                            ID-1: /dev/sda1 maj-min: 8:1 size: 4 GiB fs: ntfs label: XP uuid: 5E34A98D34A968AB
                            ID-2: /dev/sda2 maj-min: 8:2 size: 512 MiB fs: vfat label: FREEDOS uuid: 5D99-5FD8
                            ID-3: /dev/sda3 maj-min: 8:3 size: 19.39 GiB fs: ext4 label: frugals
                              uuid: e99d1cd3-82fa-46c8-bef3-bd3e9f25afa0
                            ID-4: /dev/sda4 maj-min: 8:4 size: 1 KiB fs: <superuser required> label: N/A uuid: N/A
                            ID-5: /dev/sda6 maj-min: 8:6 size: 8 GiB fs: ext4 label: ac23
                              uuid: 18a8c4a5-5fd9-4203-a5e2-9a38c315170a
                          USB:
                            Hub-1: 1-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 8 rev: 2.0 speed: 480 Mb/s chip-ID: 1d6b:0002
                              class-ID: 0900
                            Hub-2: 2-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s chip-ID: 1d6b:0001
                            Hub-3: 2-2:2 info: Dell Internal 2.0 Hub ports: 4 rev: 2.0 speed: 12 Mb/s power: 2mA
                              chip-ID: 413c:a005 class-ID: 0900
                            Hub-4: 2-2.3:3 info: O2 Micro Oz776 1.1 Hub ports: 3 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s power: 200mA
                              chip-ID: 0b97:7761 class-ID: 0900
                            Device-1: 2-2.3.2:4 info: O2 Micro Oz776 SmartCard Reader type: Smart Card driver: N/A
                              interfaces: 1 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s chip-ID: 0b97:7762 class-ID: 0b00
                            Hub-5: 3-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s chip-ID: 1d6b:0001
                            Hub-6: 4-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s chip-ID: 1d6b:0001
                            Hub-7: 5-0:1 info: Full speed or root hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 speed: 12 Mb/s chip-ID: 1d6b:0001
                          Sensors:
                            System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0 C mobo: N/A sodimm: SODIMM C
                            Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 5464
                          Repos:
                            Packages: pm: dpkg pkgs: 1625 libs: 771 tools: apt,apt-get,aptitude,synaptic
                            Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list
                              1: deb [signed-by=/etc/apt/keyrings/antix-archive-keyring.gpg] http: //repo.antixlinux.com/bookworm bookworm main nonfree nosystemd
                            Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bookworm-backports.list
                              1: deb http: //deb.debian.org/debian bookworm-backports main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
                            Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list
                              1: deb http: //ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ bookworm-updates main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
                            Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
                              1: deb http: //ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ bookworm main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
                              2: deb http: //security.debian.org/ bookworm-security main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
                            No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/liquorix.list
                          Processes:
                            CPU top: 5 of 129
                            1: cpu: 300% command: ps pid: 16762 mem: 2.79 MiB (0.1%)
                            2: cpu: 39.0% command: yad pid: 16745 mem: 26.8 MiB (1.3%)
                            3: cpu: 13.4% command: firefox-esr pid: 6441 mem: 480.7 MiB (24.0%)
                            4: cpu: 3.1% command: htop pid: 13887 mem: 4.20 MiB (0.2%)
                            5: cpu: 3.0% command: firefox-esr pid: 6624 mem: 139.4 MiB (6.9%)
                            Memory top: 5 of 129
                            1: mem: 480.7 MiB (24.0%) command: firefox-esr pid: 6441 cpu: 13.4%
                            2: mem: 139.4 MiB (6.9%) command: firefox-esr pid: 6624 cpu: 3.0%
                            3: mem: 94.2 MiB (4.7%) command: firefox-esr pid: 6623 cpu: 0.0%
                            4: mem: 85.8 MiB (4.2%) command: xorg pid: 1984 cpu: 2.6%
                            5: mem: 84.9 MiB (4.2%) command: firefox-esr pid: 6566 cpu: 0.0%
                          Info:
                            Processes: 129 Uptime: 1h 19m wakeups: 2 Init: SysVinit v: 3.06 runlevel: 5 default: 5
                            tool: service Compilers: gcc: 12.2.0 alt: 12 Client: shell wrapper v: 0.5.12-2 inxi: 3.3.25
                          • This reply was modified 10 months ago by christophe.
                          • This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by rokytnji.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

stevesr0

re: Pipewire on antiX-23 beta 2.

I booted the live USB and used the package installer to install pipewire. Although I think all relevant packages were installed, when I ran PAVU I was greeted with the spinning circle and htop showed pipewire hadn’t launched.

My previous success on a Sid system required that I set a /run/user entry as an environmental variable and as sudo run a script that Kenny Levinsen wrote (the developer of seatd.

The environmental variable and the script must be run before launching Xorg, so, I tried to boot to a command prompt. So far, I haven’t figured out how to do this from the grub menu with the live USB. (I am NOT a capable GRUB menu editor). In an example I saw on the internet, it states that when you type “e” at the grub menu, another menu will appear and by scrolling down you will come to a line the starts “linux /boot/vmlinuz…”. The grub menu on the live usb doesn’t do this by default.

So I would appreciate advice about how to boot the live usb to a command prompt (this is a full version).

If this is only easy/possible with the core version I will try that next…

OR, if I am failing to do some fundamental step, I would appreciate enlightenment from those wiser than me (there are many of them out there).

Thanks in advance.

stevesr0

calciumsodium

Hello,

I wanted to explore how functional antiX23 x32 b2 system is compared to my own optimized antiX21 x32 bit system.

I have some fairly older laptops (around 2010) that don’t have any hard drives. I use them mainly to watch youtube videos using live 650 mb CDs or DVDs using antiX.

In this test, I compared the various systems using mpv with the following settings:

ytdl-format=bestvideo[height<=?720][vcodec!=?vp9]+bestaudio/best[height<=720]
                              --window-maximized

which produced a 720p resolution with 59 fps.

I compared the various systems using the following command:

mpv http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhSOcB5bMJk

I then observed the CPU % as shown on conky.

This is what I observed:

System               antiX21 x32              antiX23 x32 b2            antiX23 x64 b1
                                                    w/ 4.4 antiX kernel      w/ 5.10 antiX kernel      w/ 6.3 liquorix kernel
                              HP laptop 6550b       26 % CPU                 40 % CPU                  17 % CPU
                              i3 CPU (4-core)
                              Toshiba Satellite     63 % CPU                 Video constantly          51 % CPU
                              C55-B5300                                      "stutters".
                              (2-core CPU)                                   Constant error of 
                                                                             "audio device underun
                                                                             detected". Not good 
                                                                             video experience.

My antiX21 x32 system gives better CPU % than the antiX23 x32 b2 system.

The best system tested so far is the antiX23 x64 b1 that I have optimized for some time.

For me, the best area to focus on in the future is the x64 system antiX23 since that system gives me the best performance needs.

These are my test system:

$ inxi -b
                              System:
                                Host: antix1 Kernel: 5.10.181-antix.1-486-smp arch: i686 bits: 32
                                  Desktop: IceWM v: 3.4.0 Distro: antiX-23-beta2_386-full Arditi del Popolo
                                  11 June 2023
                              Machine:
                                Type: Laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP ProBook 6550b v: N/A
                                Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 146D v: KBC Version 73.11
                                  serial: <superuser required> BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: 68CDE Ver. F.00
                                  date: 04/21/2010
                              Battery:
                                ID-1: BAT0 charge: 29.4 Wh (88.6%) condition: 33.2/55.1 Wh (60.4%)
                                  volts: 11.0 min: 10.8
                              CPU:
                                Info: dual core Intel Core i3 M 350 [MT MCP] speed (MHz): avg: 1214
                                  min/max: 933/2266
                              Graphics:
                                Device-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
                                Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: modesetting
                                  unloaded: fbdev,vesa dri: crocus gpu: i915 resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
                                API: OpenGL v: 2.1 Mesa 22.3.6 renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics (ILK)
                              Network:
                                Device-1: Intel 82577LC Gigabit Network driver: e1000e
                                Device-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 driver: iwlwifi
                              Drives:
                                Local Storage: total: 0 KiB used: 0 KiB
                              Info:
                                Processes: 128 Uptime: 3m Memory: 2.88 GiB used: 456.1 MiB (15.5%)
                                Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.25

$ inxi -b
                              System:    Host: antix Kernel: 4.4.0-296-antix.1-686-smp-pae i686 bits: 32 Desktop: IceWM 2.9.6 
                                         Distro: antiX-21_386-base Grup Yorum 31 October 2021 
                              Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP ProBook 6550b v: N/A serial: <superuser required> 
                                         Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 146D v: KBC Version 73.11 serial: <superuser required> 
                                         BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: 68CDE Ver. F.00 date: 04/21/2010 
                              Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 25.7 Wh (77.4%) condition: 33.2/55.1 Wh (60.4%) volts: 10.5 min: 10.8 
                              CPU:       Info: Dual Core Intel Core i3 M 350 [MT MCP] speed: 933 MHz min/max: 933/2266 MHz 
                              Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
                                         Display: server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
                                         resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
                                         OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics (ILK) v: 2.1 Mesa 20.3.5 
                              Network:   Device-1: Intel 82577LC Gigabit Network driver: e1000e 
                              Drives:    Local Storage: total: 29.25 GiB used: 25.33 GiB (86.6%) 
                              Info:      Processes: 147 Uptime: 6m Memory: 7.7 GiB used: 754.4 MiB (9.6%) Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.06 

$ inxi -b
                              System:
                                Host: antix1 Kernel: 6.3.6-1-liquorix-amd64 arch: x86_64 bits: 64
                                  Desktop: IceWM v: 3.3.3 Distro: antiX-23-beta1-runit_x64 bookworm June 10
                              Machine:
                                Type: Laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP ProBook 6550b v: N/A
                                Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 146D v: KBC Version 73.11
                                  serial: <superuser required> BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: 68CDE Ver. F.00
                                  date: 04/21/2010
                              Battery:
                                ID-1: BAT0 charge: 28.0 Wh (84.3%) condition: 33.2/55.1 Wh (60.4%)
                                  volts: 10.5 min: 10.8
                              CPU:
                                Info: dual core Intel Core i3 M 350 [MT MCP] speed (MHz): avg: 2065
                                  min/max: 933/2266
                              Graphics:
                                Device-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
                                Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: intel dri: crocus
                                  gpu: i915 resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
                                API: OpenGL v: 2.1 Mesa 22.3.3 renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics (ILK)
                              Network:
                                Device-1: Intel 82577LC Gigabit Network driver: e1000e
                              Drives:
                                Local Storage: total: 33.02 GiB used: 27.6 GiB (83.6%)
                              Info:
                                Processes: 152 Uptime: 0m Memory: 7.56 GiB used: 465.4 MiB (6.0%)
                                Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.25

mcpderez

I will try again later with a different flash drive.

I had a chance to try with another flash drive that is much faster and likely of higher quality. I was able to experience the problem again, so that rules out the slow flash drive I was using before.

The interesting thing is it doesn’t have the problem on every boot, and so far, out of around 8 tests, it’s only ever acted up on the first boot after a fresh flash. This makes me wonder if it has something to do with the few files that are written on shutdown. (connman settings, etc.) I have not enabled any persistence. In fact, I only learned through this testing that connman settings (e.g. the Wifi access point name and last used IP address) were being saved without me specifically asking for it. Previously I thought that each boot would always be pristine. If I make the USB with Live USB Maker, but in the not full featured mode (dd only), will that prevent any uncommanded writes to the drive during use or shutdown?

While it was acting up, I captured a new pstree, as well as the output of “ps aux” and “lsof”. The apparent write activity ceased after about 17 minutes of runtime, so I ran those three commands again for comparison. I’ll upload all 6 files a little later when I have more time. If there are any other commands I should run when I notice the problem again, I’m happy to provide output. All I have done to set up this most recent failure was set the time zone, select the 6.1 kernel, and boot. I will also see if I can get a failure with the 5.10 kernel or on another laptop.

PPC

On further testing beta2 I noticed this cool features:
                                  – Icewm’s direct suspend sub-menu entry now works out of the box
                                  – The personal menu now can be managed from within itself, it’s first (and now only) entry is the GUI to manage Personal Menu entries
                                  – On my relatively powerful Dell desktop pc, app-select takes about 2 seconds to open for the first time, then it takes a little over a second. Not instant, but almost, very nice
                                  – I also noticed app-select offers a new button, that pops up the contextual menu, making it even easier for new users to access it’s new plug-ins.
                                  in Package Installer, the new “Virtualization” Category is not localized (but it’s apps are localized just fine in pt).

Note:
                                  – the instructions to add, in IceWM, a toolbar entry for skippy-xd are here: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/short-essential-how-to-list-for-the-complete-linux-newbie/#post-37516

Veridict:
                                  For now I found no serious flaw in beta2, it works even better than many production OS. It works perfectly with all apps installed out of the box (except the virtual keyboard thingie- (sound) “problems” arise only when installing third party apps, like firefox – not firefox-esr, installed out of the box in the “full” version of antiX. please see more on that below).
                                  For people used, in particular to recent Windows versions (10 and 11), using antiX-23, although different, won’t be terribly scary- using the terminal is not (almost never) required, and there are GUI’s available for most common tasks.

The menu has a “search applications” option, right on the top, where you can’t miss it. It launches an excellent app (app-select), developed in house, that allows you to search for, run, add to the Toolbar, to the Personal menu or to the Desktop, any application (as long as it has a .desktop file, which is the case for 99.9% GUI applications).
                                  -You can’t drag and drop apps from the menu to the toolbar or to the desktop, but you can manage the toolbar quick-launchers for within the toolbar- just click the Frozen montain peaks icon…
                                  – The menu has many entries, but it’s not that confusing:
                                  -The first entry allows you to search and launch (or pin) installed applications
                                  -Then you have the generic applications, easily identified by their generic names Terminal, File Manager, Web Browser, Text Editor (the equivalent to notepad, for Windows users)
                                  -Then you have the (All) Applications menu, that displays all installed applications, sorted by category, and below that entry, there’s an option to manually refresh/update the (All) Applications menu (handy if you installed something and it’s icon does not, for some reason, appear on the menu, or if you removed any app, and it’s entry still remains in the menu. In the unlikely event of something failing and you not seeing anyting inside the (All) Applications menu, the refresh button should resort everything to working order)
                                  -The “Personal Menu”- for Windows users, this is loosely the equivalent of Pinned Apps. That menu contains the GUI that adds/removes your favorite apps to your Personal List. You also can do that from the app-select application, in an easy and intuitive way
                                  -Recent Files…- the name says it all (please note that not all apps put the files they open on this list- that’s not an antiX bug)
                                  -Next we have antiX exclusive entries: Desktop (allows you to switch to other Desktops, also enable disable conky, the desktop resource monitor and more); Kill any window (handy if an application is frozen); Control Centre (the GUI that allows you to change most settings, it’s the antix equivalent to Window’s Control Panel), Run (allows you to run a command, without needing to open a terminal, handy for launching terminal applications), Settings (this are the IceWM’s Window Manager settings menus – unless you know what you are doing, use only the “Themes” sub-menu to change the way your windows/toolbar/menu look and do not mess with the other options- use the GUI, available from the Control Setting, to change the most used IceWM settings- like toolbar position, manage the clock, etc… You can even use it to place a “Weather” quick-launch icon on your toolbar, to check out the Weather Forecast, no Browser needed)
                                  -Then you have the Exit option… And that’s it.
                                  The menu is not that complex- it has all the standard entries windows users are used (some with slightly different names) and some extra ones.

– antiX Linux still does not update automatically (and that’s a good thing- you update when you want to, you are not forced to do it), but you can check for updates, and apply updates (if they are available), with just a couple of clicks- you have the “antiX updater” icon right there on the toolbar
                                  antiX has it’s own “App Store” – Package Installer- click the white shopping bag on the toolbar – you can search and install the most used apps from the first tab, any of the available 65.000 apps from the second tab, or any of the few thousand “experimental” more recent version of some apps, from the third tab- all using a GUI, no terminal in sight. You can also use Package Installer to remove (almost) any installed app
                                  – If you don’t find the app you are searching for in Package Installer, you can even try downloading the .deb file you want and try to install it. Just click it using the file manager, and the install process begins automatically (yes, you get to see the terminal, no you do not need to run any command).
                                  The default file manager, zzzfm looks and acts like most regular modern file managers – it has bookmarks, picture thumbnails, tabs, a Trash Can, a search function, you can install .deb packages from it, you can change the wallpaper to any file you select, etc). The powerful, light, but very particular Rox-filer file manager is still available, in all it’s glory.
                                  antiX 23 is as light as always (sure, using a modern kernel uses a tiny bit more RAM), still running well on 20+ years old computers, and having a modern an nice looking interface, that most people will find not that unfamiliar… And it’s easily costumizable, to make it look the way you want, pin your favorite apps to where you want them to be, install almost any Linux app in existence (including the world’s most used web browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Brave, etc), use the modern web, use e-mail, edit office documents, view pdf/e-book files, play music or video files, stream youtube videos, install messaging/video conference apps (like Telegram, Zoom, Skype, Teams)…

-I just noticed a bug on Zzzfm’s “restore (from trash)” contextual menu – it errors out if the original folder of the file has accents or special characters- I’ll try to fix that…- You can, of course, manually drag/copy/move the file from the Trash can to any folder you want…
                                  – Also the “sound problem” is probably the biggest problem for new users– if you install Firefox or any Firefox based Browser, or some applications, like some games and emulators, you have no sound at all. There are several ways to try to solve that: using the applications with the apulse prefix (that implies using the terminal, or editing the application’s .desktop file in sudo mode- so, not for beginners), install and enable pulse audio or install and enable pipewire (now available in package installer).
                                  -> I installed firefox and pipewire from the P.I. Firefox still had no sound. Trying the default sound mixer crashed it. pavu’s mixer stalled and did nothing, saying it was looking for pulse audio…

Edit: While performing the above mentioned test, I noticed (I’m not sure if by design or not) that Firefox is not available in the first tab of Package Installer – it has to be installed from the Repository (that’s why I’m not sure if it missing from the first tab was by design). Since Web browsers are probably the most installed applications on any desktop OS, having as wide list of Web browsers as possible on our App Store would be advisable, in my humble opinion.

P.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by PPC.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 347 total)
                                • The topic ‘antiX-23-beta2 iso files for testing’ is closed to new replies.