antiX-23-beta2 iso files for testing

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23-beta2 iso files for testing

• This topic has 346 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated Sep 4-11:45 am by anticapitalista.
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 347 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    rokytnji

Noticed Pipe wire and pulse audio not installed in latest beta 3 download. They are sitting antiX package installer waiting. Just alsa is installed. Thanks for that. Will see what happens with chromebook full install with grub on pendrive later on.

Cross my fingers and hope my fix for 4 version kernel works on 6 . I guess I should try 5.10 since it/fix works in antiX 22. Decisions, decisions.

Any body else with a Dell ll chromebook is welcome to try. Me being a scooter tramp and all. Without a high school diploma.
      Only difference from link supplied. I am leaving internal ssd alone. Gonna run full install off of pendrive. Install grub there also.
      I already have grub installed on antiX 22 full on internal ssd so no worries.
      https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/dell-chromebook-candy-antix-22-full-iso/

I guess, good luck rok.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
      I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
      Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
      How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian Masinick

Hey rokytnji!

“Me being a scooter tramp and all. Without a high school diploma.”

I’ve known several people who lacked a complete formal education and regardless of what they did or where they lived they demonstrated intelligence and accomplishments.

One person I know in this area was kicked out of school at 16 for a bogus reason and I can attest to their ability just as I attest to yours.

Look at what you have been able to do with very modest equipment!

I could care less about degrees and accomplishments. I got an advanced degree and it never gave me any additional promotions or other accolades. I work hard, as do many people and I’ve had the good fortune to spend time with homeless people, retired people and senior executives. I’ve seen good and bad in both; ultimately it’s how we treat people that makes the best impact and you rate as well as anyone else in this regard.

Congratulations on the many systems you have built, your extensive forum background and leadership and your sense of humor and good will. I appreciate and applaud you!

--
        Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
        rokytnji

Thanks Brian. Posting some more info . Just started installer. Just letting anybody else trying this, copy files. Be patient. Answer all questions first and hit next.

After running out of nexts. Be patient. I thought I was stuck on copy files, but no. Just slow on usb port , That is as far as I have gotten so far.
          Connman worked OK for wireless before running the installer. Saving live changes during install process check marked.

So walk away like I did to let copy files complete on it’s own. Will see later what speed I run usb at. Will report on that also later on.

Brian Masinick

Room regarding patience, I know what you mean. Having systems with over a decade of different types and ages, I am used to using my former Acer Aspire 5 laptop, my HP-14 laptop and my Dell Inspiron laptop; they are strong in resources and responsive.

All of them work but the two older Lenovo Thinkpad laptops are slower, particularly the Thinkpad T510; it’s built like a tank and handles that way too; it works well but it’s heavy, slow and ponderous compared to the three newer laptops. Then there’s the even older HP d5000 series desktop,model S5737. It still works fine but the wait reminds me of how much faster each new system has become over the years.

Looking back I remember my “fast” UNIX workstations on the job used to take 2-5 minutes to fully load and configure themselves. I’d come into the office in the morning and turn everything on before taking off my coat or setting up my notes for the day.

I’d also write notes in a notebook rather than a note taking app, though I also wrote a lot of documents online and shared the information with members of our team.

How times change!

--
            Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
            rokytnji

Just finished updating usb drive. Putting chromebook away for now. Firefox-esr Browser runs real slow. Installed git, pulseaudio, and followed my previous instructions. Have a UCM folder in /home/username just like I did in antiX 22. Used control center > hardware and picked both sound card choices.

Did this after a reboot to make sure changes stuck and pulse audo , alsa, was killed and restarted.
              Still no sound.
              Tomorrow maybe try MPV to play some youtube music instead since mpv will be in the mix.
              Will pick this up later.

I tried both usb ports on the Dell to see if usb speed would be better. Maybe the 15 gig sanddisk usb drive I am using is to blame. Too tired to care right now.
              So I don’t recommend . At least on mine. Running a full install on usb. On this chromebook.
              Had to use Dillo to follow what I needed to do to configure sound on here from my link.
              Frefox-esr was kinda useless.

At least install was a breeze. Except for copy files.

Brian Masinick

Re. sound on antiX 23.
                When I got my system and was aware of Pipeware, I scanned various [available packages] in Synaptic that pertain to Pipewire and considering my HP-14 configuration I added a couple of complimentary packages.

The results are good; every browser now works with sound.

--
                Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                rokytnji

Guess it can’t hurt to try pipewire on this chromebook fix. Outa ideas right now since I just woke up.

Enjoying Vietnamese coffee in 69F while rain keeps falling.
                  I am mesmerized. Rare sight in these parts.
                  My dead grass lawn might just grow back.

I already know installing pipewire uninstalls pulse audio in antiX package manager.
                  So not a lot to do there, I hope. I’ll check rfkill also. Which I have not done.
                  Maybe a hot key is killing sound. My brain is starting to spin on this Vietnamese coffee. Sure tastes good.
                  Wife is the coffee aficionado. Me? I usually do tea.

I will be missing after this post for most of the day. You know how testing is.

Brian Masinick

@rokytnji I hope that everything works out for you. I’ve never transformed a Chromebook into a “regular” Linux system. Like it or not, the Google approach with a Linux kernel and a Chromium or Android user interface is effective on modest powered laptops and smartphones.

Those who don’t want to be “tracked” will avoid it at all costs. I’m not one of those people. I was asked to try out a 2010 prototype unit when Chrome OS was in the final stages of their initial introduction and I found it to be a very efficient consumer of low end laptop technology.

I also don’t mind some tracking regarding my buying habits, though I wouldn’t necessarily want someone or something tracking my every move 24×7; I don’t have anything particular to hide but I think there’s a time and a place to share information and there’s also a time for complete privacy. I think there’s some reasonable point in between that is reasonable.

Regarding sound, as I mentioned earlier there are 5-10 total packages in the repo that have various interactions with Pipewire; there are 1-2 packages to support various jacks and interfaces and a couple to interact with multiple audio and video formats. I don’t have the package names memorized but I used Synaptic to browse and select the individual packages that best fit my hardware configuration and seemed to meet my sound preferences; so far they have worked out well for me.

--
                    Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                    rokytnji

Tried 5.10 kernel. Pipewire. Everything runs so slow on usb it takes all day. Which adds up to defeatism.

Giving up on this approach for now. I will have to do some searching like I did before when I got lucky with this antiX 22 install.

I have no problems to report on my other testing installs on conventional gear. One install was a bad usb drive.
                      Kitten is trying to edit this post .
                      I picked up 2 kittens to replace Miso when she passed away.

Brian Masinick

Hey Rok! I think you’re right and I vaguely recall your other efforts.
                        If it makes you feel any better I did experiment with something called
                        “Cloud Ready” and I tried putting it over Chrome OS on an old
                        Lenovo N22 Chromebook; followed directions, did everything as
                        specified and it flatly would not work.

I eventually just reset that unit to factory settings
                        and donated it to Good Will or another donation agency.

As for Miso; sorry for your loss; our pets are significant
                        animals in the lives of many of us; I grew up in a family
                        with a dog, then we had a cat, and my late mother also
                        kept a cat until “Stewart” passed away; all of them
                        were nice animals and helpful companions.

I hope your 2 kittens will become good companions.

Best wishes in each of your activities; bonding
                        with the young kittens ought to be fun; enjoy!

--
                        Brian Masinick

abc-nix

roky, did you test what was explained in this post? Maybe it fixes the issues you are experiencing with alsa on antix runit.

Forum Admin
                          rokytnji

roky, did you test what was explained in this post? Maybe it fixes the issues you are experiencing with alsa on antix runit.

No. I am on my shop computer now. I will try it later. I already gparted that usb drive back to fat32.
                            I’ll try in a live session since my other way was pretty frustrating.

Thanks.

oops

@PPC: I already published some versions of this script, that serves as a GUI to connect to Samba Shared folders (if SMB >1, if I recall correctly). I had to use it today and noticed that it did not run correctly, so I adapted it for antiX-23 (and also streamlined a bit the script).
                              It does not require localization at all. If anticapitalista wants, if can be included in yad-goodies, for example (it asks if it should install the tiny dependency when run for the first time).

… That’s a good idea.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by oops.
                              ile

hello anticapitalista
                                antix-installer 23.09.01
                                used on antiX23 base 64
                                minstall oem switch worked
                                with one catch, it transferred the content and /demo directory.
                                Is deleted the /demo directory and there is no reference to “demo” in the Administration of <antiX-user>
                                The user created oobe is present.

A remove /demo is all that is left? oem nearly worked. well it did work, plus leaving /demo.

ile

hello anticapitalista
                                  /usr/local/lib/desktop-session/startup-dialog.py

Change. set to False the Above window setting in
                                  def __init__(self):
                                  line 56
                                  self.set_keep_above(False)

or / and(?)

Change. add a & to the control centre Action
                                  line 72
                                  self.build_button(ICONS+”/control_centre.png”,”Control Centre”,”antixcc.sh & “,2,1)

For the Warnings of DeprecationWarning: gtk
                                  Silenced with Hacks
                                  line 43 # comment out
                                  #button.set_alignment(0.1,0.5)

line 78 # comment out
                                  #exit_button.show()

That is right, it closes the Close button. big hack do not show exit button. 8-|

comment line 74 # comment out
                                  now silence the warning with a fake button on line 75 which button may not show when used with #exit_button.show is commented out(now line 79.) for exit_button.show it shows unlabeled button having Action exit.
                                  # exit_button = Gtk.Button.new_from_stock(Gtk.STOCK_CLOSE)
                                  exit_button = Gtk.Button.new_with_label(Gtk.STOCK_CLOSE)

or comment out all the exit button lines
                                  lines 74-78 # and no need to create the fake button label on line 75.
                                  (problem solved; Warning silenced. no exit button.)

Also can be Changed is the shbang of python can Change to python3.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 347 total)
                                • The topic ‘antiX-23-beta2 iso files for testing’ is closed to new replies.