antiX 23 Desktop files: New resource for translation present on tranisfex.

Forum Forums antiX-development Translations antiX 23 Desktop files: New resource for translation present on tranisfex.

• This topic has 45 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated May 2-6:56 pm by Wallon.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Wallon

Dear Robin, Dear Marcelocripe,

Thank you for all the explanations.
      I did not know the option translated by origin (TM or API).

Cordialement,
      Wallon

Robin

I’ve asked the transifex dev team whether there is a way to invert the search criteria for translator and API, so you could see all strings NOT translated by yourself, but I’m still waiting for answer

Answer from transifex about how to see all but your own translations listed in editor:

„In the Users filter you will need to choose every other translator except yourself. And you will need to go one by one for the translators to see other peoples translations.
        The users filter does not have a not operator. Meaning you cannot filter by excluding a user.”

Also they stated, same goes for origin *not* API, you need to search for all other origins from their long list individually. I don’t know what to make of it.

This means, in the end you have actually to check each other user found in the resource’s user list individually, whether he has overwritten some of your strings instead of seeing a complete list which of your strings have been overwritten, regardless by whom.

But they gave me a workaround also, you might want to give it a try:

„If you want to search by excluding translators you can use tags instead. Every time you will transalte something you can add to the string your individual tag
        See here. (Other tools in the editor)

transifex

This way you can use the tag filter which has a not operator.”

If I get it right, they want you to add a tag to each of the strings you have translated. Not sure whether the tag will change once somebody else overwrites your translation (if not, you might get false results from this suggestion from transifex support team). Note: The answer was not from the dev team, but from the „customer success” team.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Wallon

Pouuuuf

The people at Transifex don’t make life easy!

Robin

Pouuuuf

The people at Transifex don’t make life easy!

More than that. They hand out misleading information. The suggestion about tags is complete nonsens, it can’t work when reading the linked site properly:

»Tags work on a string level, and when you add a tag, it is applied to all languages, even if you have selected a specific language in the Editor.«

So if you’d try to add a tag e.g. “translated by Wallon” as suggested by the transifex „success” team, this tag will show up in ALL languages for this very string you’ve tagged. Did they think you actually translated all languages of this string? Hey, what kind of nonsense is this?

And then, reading on:

Warning

Only maintainers, team managers, and administrator users have the privilege to assign tags to source strings.

How then do they think a translator could do this?

Looks to me as if they don’t understand their own website properly…

Wallon

Dear Robin,

There is an update of the file on Transifex.
              I used a filter to request all translations made after 07/04/2023.
              124 strings were overwritten with new translations for FR.
              Often these are not my translations.
              I understand that you are doing a lot of work but it is simply not possible, I mean it is not possible for the translators to keep up.
              I have spent days correcting all the translations. My work is lost. My name does not even appear in the history.

The best example, I had corrected all the apostrophes. Now I have a lot of English apostrophes that have come back in the translations. They are not my translations anymore.

antiX 23 is badly translated into French and programs don’t work. I never see new packages in the beta version of antiX 23 to correct the translations.

I don’t have this problem for the other projects I translate in Transifex.

I repeat, it is impossible for a translator to work with this procedure.
              Should I wait for antiX 24 to translate antiX 23? I am sure that the antiX 23 files will not be overwritten when antiX 24 is released.

This is not acceptable. We are all volunteers.

I don’t want an argument and I admire what you are doing, but this is really too much.

Cordialement,
              Wallon

Robin

Good morning Wallon!

There is an update of the file on Transifex.

No. The resource was last updated 5. April 2023, 0:39 UTZ
                This update hadn’t overwritten any of your translations.
                No update was done after this, and the transifex site shows precisely this date.

I used a filter to request all translations made after 07/04/2023.
                124 strings were overwritten with new translations for FR.
                Often these are not my translations.

Because of your statement I have now manually checked each french translation entry of the resource which was changed after 7.4.2023 in transifex translation editor. Result: All of them are your translations, nobody besides you has changed a single string, not in French and not in Belgian French language. For convenience I’ve added the unstable transifex entry numbers additionally to the entry keys. These entry numbers are subject of change and may not match later on.

Resource: antiX23 Desktop Files
                Language: French
                Filter    translated_after:2023-04-07
                (48)  links2|Desktop Entry|Name               Translated by Wallon 15 hours ago
                (56)  video-player|Desktop Entry|Comment      Translated by Wallon 14 hours ago
                (141) antix-viewer|Desktop Entry|Name         Translated by Wallon 15 hours ago
                (206) network-assistant|Desktop Entry|Comment Translated by Wallon 14 hours ago
                (207) network-assistant|Desktop Entry|GenericName  Translated by Wallon 14 hours ago
                (273) search-gentoo|Desktop Entry|Name        Translated by Wallon 16 hours ago
                (275) search-gentoo|Desktop Entry|GenericName Translated by Wallon 16 hours ago
                (279) iso-snapshot|Desktop Entry|Name         Translated by Wallon 17 hours ago
                (301) login-config-antix|Desktop Entry|Name   Translated by Wallon 14 hours ago
                (302) login-config-antix|Desktop Entry|Comment  Translated by Wallon 14 hours ago
                (303) login-config-antix|Desktop Entry|GenericName  Translated by Wallon 14 hours ago
                (317) clipit|Desktop Entry|Name               Translated by Wallon 16 hours ago
                (330) disk-manager|Desktop Entry|Name         Translated by Wallon 14 hours ago
                (355) search-imdb|Desktop Entry|Name          Translated by Wallon 16 hours ago
                (357) search-imdb|Desktop Entry|GenericName   Translated by Wallon 16 hours ago
                (371) live-usb-maker-gui-antix|Desktop Entry|Name  Translated by Wallon 17 hours ago
                (375) remaster|Desktop Entry|Comment          Translated by Wallon a day ago
                (413) xfburn|Desktop Entry|GenericName        Translated by Wallon 16 hours ago
                (474) libreoffice-xsltfilter|Desktop Entry|Name   Translated by Wallon 18 hours ago
                (478) yad-icon-browser|Desktop Entry|Comment  Translated by Wallon 16 hours ago
                (486) persist_save|Desktop Entry|Name         Translated by Wallon 15 hours ago
                (488) persist_save|Desktop Entry|GenericName  Translated by Wallon 15 hours ago
                (489) bootrepair|Desktop Entry|Name           Translated by Wallon 16 hours ago
                (500) chroot-rescue-scan|Desktop Entry|Comment  Translated by Wallon 14 hours ago
                (544) mirage|Desktop Entry|Comment            Translated by Wallon 18 hours ago
                (593) search-startpage|Desktop Entry|Name     Translated by Wallon 17 hours ago
                (595) search-startpage|Desktop Entry|GenericName  Translated by Wallon 17 hours ago
                (631) firejail-ui|Desktop Entry|Name          Translated by Wallon 16 hours ago
                (633) firejail-ui|Desktop Entry|Comment       Translated by Wallon 16 hours ago
                (658) simple-scan|Desktop Entry|Name          Translated by Wallon 16 hours ago
                (661) simple-scan|Desktop Entry|GenericName   Translated by Wallon 16 hours ago
                (662) mupdf|Desktop Entry|Name                Translated by Wallon 15 hours ago
                (665) search-imdbe|Desktop Entry|Name         Translated by Wallon 17 hours ago
                (667) search-imdbe|Desktop Entry|GenericName  Translated by Wallon 17 hours ago

In Belgian French there were some additional entries to the above:

Language: Belgian French
                Filter    translated_after:2023-04-07
                (644) firefox-esr|Desktop Entry|GenericName   Translated by Wallon a day ago
                (718) ds-other-desktops|Desktop Entry|GenericName Translated by Wallon a day ago

No other translator shows up in the results for this resource filtered by this date, not in French and not in Belgian French.

I have spent days correcting all the translations. My work is lost. My name does not even appear in the history.

I can’t confirm this. Your name is present in history for all strings you have edited. (Btw, are you aware the most recent entry in the transifex history is the at head of the list, not at the bottom as one might suspect?) When filtering the French translations of the resource for translator:Wallon mostly every single entry was translated by you. I don’t see a single string of your translated strings which has been been overwritten. Please let me know the string keys you are referring to.

The best example, I had corrected all the apostrophes. Now I have a lot of English apostrophes that have come back in the translations. They are not my translations anymore.

Filter:     translation_text:\'
                  No results found.
                Filter:     translation_text:"
                  No results found.
                Filter:     translation_text:\'
                  No results found.
                Filter:     translation_text:"
                  No results found.

„No results found”. So I’m not sure what you are talking about. There isn’t a single English ASCII Apostrophe or ASCII Double quoting present in the translations of this resource, not in French and also not in Belgian French. So obviously all your translation work is present.

I don’t have this problem for the other projects I translate in Transifex.

I repeat, it is impossible for a translator to work with this procedure.
                Should I wait for antiX 24 to translate antiX 23? I am sure that the antiX 23 files will not be overwritten when antiX 24 is released.

This is not acceptable. We are all volunteers.

Sorry, I don’t understand what precisely you are complaining about. Again, please put up here a list of string keys (doesn’t need to be complete, some example keys would be enough already) which have been changed by whoever after you (and not the TM auto-copied old stuff from another resource) have translated them.

I admire what you are doing, but this is really too much.

On the contrary, I do admire your great work fixing all the Apostrophes, many thanks for this, and I promise you to do my very best to find out what causes the trouble for you. By now I don’t understand how you came to your findings, results and statements. Sorry again.

Yours
                Robin

Wallon

My friend Robin,

I am living a real nightmare with this Transifex.

This morning I clicked on the link of the Transifex notification “antix 23 Desktop Files updated” as you can see on my screenshot.

I didn’t see that it was the “testing” project.

Sorry, I panicked.

But this file is completely wrong. There are lots of English apostrophes in the French translations. This is the file where my name disappeared from the history of the 124 new translations.

Look at the second screenshot, those are English apostrophes in the French translations.

You should not push this file into the good translations of the antix-development project.

Again, a thousand apologies. I wish you a great weekend.

Cordialement,
                  Wallon

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Wallon.
                  marcelocripe

Wallon, I need to ask you to download the resource that you do the translation in Transifex, for example, the file “for_translation_antix-development_antix23-desktop-files_pt_BR_06-04-2023.strings” is 803 KB in size, it is an insignificant disk consumption and it will even make your life a lot easier if any input has to be re-translated.

I can’t see all the huge work Robin has been doing on the “antix23-desktop-files” feature, but I know it requires knowledge that I don’t have and that I couldn’t do on my own what he’s doing, i.e. treats It is a work in progress. I ask you to be patient, because at the moment the “antix23-desktop-files” resource has all the texts and all the “.desktop” files existing in the antiX 22/23 ISOs and the work applied in the “antix23-desktop” resource -files” is used in the antiX 23 ISO and future antiX ISOs, antiX will finally have the menus translated. Note that there has been a significant improvement in the “antix23-desktop-files” feature compared to “antix-desktop-files” (don’t forget to reuse your existing translations in Transifex Contribs), several entries that did not originally exist in the files “.desktop” were added and this improves the results of searches seen in “App Select” and other equivalent programs and makes “.desktop” files much more complete and rich in texts.

I myself have already had to translate the same sentence several times in the resources of MX Linux and this is tiring, it is exhausting and even irritating, but we have to be patient and as I always say, download the file you translated, because it is very faster to copy and paste than having to translate and adapt everything again.

– – – – –

Wallon, eu preciso pedir para você baixar o recurso que você fizer a tradução no Transifex, por exemplo, o arquivo “for_translation_antix-development_antix23-desktop-files_pt_BR_06-04-2023.strings” possui 803 KB de tamanho, é um consumo de disco insignificante e ainda facilitará muito a sua vida se qualquer entrada tiver que ser traduzida novamente.

Eu não consigo ver todo o enorme trabalho que o Robin vem desempenhando no recurso “antix23-desktop-files”, mas eu sei que exige conhecimentos que eu não possuo e que eu não conseguiria fazer sozinho o que ele está fazendo, ou seja, trata-se de um trabalho em andamento. Eu peço para você ter paciência, pois no momento que o recurso “antix23-desktop-files” tiver todos os textos e todos os arquivos “.desktop” existentes nas ISOs do antiX 22/23 e o trabalho aplicado no recurso “antix23-desktop-files” for utilizado na ISO do antiX 23 e nas ISOs futuras do antiX, enfim o antiX terá os menus traduzidos. Observe que houve um avanço significativo no recurso “antix23-desktop-files” se for comparado ao “antix-desktop-files” (não se esqueça de reutilizar as suas traduções já existentes no Transifex Contribs), várias entradas que não existiam originalmente nos arquivos “.desktop” foram adicionadas e isso beneficia o resultado das buscas vistas no “App Select” e em outros programas equivalentes e tornam arquivos “.desktop” muito mais completos e ricos nos textos.

Eu mesmo já tive que traduzir várias vezes as mesma frase nos recursos do MX Linux e isso é cansativo, é desgastante e chega a irritar, mas nós temos que ter paciência e como eu sempre digo, baixe o arquivo que você traduziu, porque é muito mais rápido copiar e colar do que ter que traduzir e adaptar tudo novamente.

Robin

Dear Wallon,

I didn’t see that it was the “testing” project.

This renders things clear. The data in the testing area isn’t meant to be stable or up to date, or even correct. This is the playground where I run the script after improving it (changing some lines of code within), testing it under all conditions, before I run it again after these improvements on the productive space at antix-development. This morning I was dealing with the antiX subfolder in the /usr/share/applications folder, which was ignored by the packaging routine of the script by now. Making this work caused me to add or modify some lines in many places of the script, and I had to retest it. The first run reduced the number of strings in the testing area at transifex to 500 (instead of 748 before), until I found the line in script which caused an expected transfer-subdirectory to be missing, causing some of the files not to be extracted…
                      Be assured, I won’t run any untested or unstable version of the script on the productive space. Only after all testings have been completed positively, all remaining bugs and quirks have been fixed, the improved version will run on the productive space at antix-development.

To be clear: Not the complete antiX-contribs at transifex is testing area. Only the project antiX-contribs-testing is the playground. If somebody wants to check out something, please contact me, then I’ll add him to the “testing team” at antiX-contribs at transifex which gives access to work with the dummy translations in the testing area.

Sorry, I panicked.

Would have panicked all the same, when I’d had to think all my work of many days or weeks would have been lost all of a sudden.

You should not push this file into the good translations of the antix-development project.

This will never happen. (Hopefully I will never goof it…) But I’m a human, not a machine. So better save your results by downloading immediately after leaving the translation editor at transifex after a translation session always, just like Marcelo has suggested:

Wallon, I need to ask you to download the resource that you do the translation in Transifex, for example, the file “for_translation_antix-development_antix23-desktop-files_pt_BR_06-04-2023.strings”

Again, a thousand apologies. I wish you a great weekend.

No problem. I feel your horror when you falsely realised all your work has gone…

I wish you and yours a nice weekend and easter holidays as well
                      Robin

Wallon

Dear Marcelocripe, Dear Robin,

Which program should be used to open a file with the extension *.strings?

It’s for my file « for_use_antix-development_antix23-desktop-files_fr_BE.strings »

Cordialement,
                        Wallon

Robin

Dear Wallon,
                          you should really read more carefully what I write. Please check some of the very first postings in this thread. I always try to use my best endeavours to give all information needed when preparing new resources for translation, but still people will have to read it…

Please see:

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-23-desktop-files-new-resource-for-translation-present-on-tranisfex/#post-103128
                          Section about offline editing.

And then, how to do it more conveniently, since you always need to see the original English source strings as well:
                          https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-23-desktop-files-new-resource-for-translation-present-on-tranisfex/#post-103170

Many greetings
                          Robin

marcelocripe

Dear Wallon, there are many different ways to do this:

1-Open zzzFM and Geany, drag the file “*.strings” from zzzFM and drop it on top of Geany.
                            2-Open Geany, click on the menu File, Open, locate your “*.strings” file.
                            3-Open zzzFM, right-click on your “*.strings” file, Open, Choose, click on the “All Applications” tab, locate Geany in the list of programs. Optionally, you can select the “Set as default application for this file type” checkbox before clicking on Geany and then clicking on the Ok button.

And never forget that you get a much better translation if you translate text from my language directly into your language than if you translate my texts from English into your language.

– – – – –

Caro Wallon, existem muitas formas diferentes para fazer isso:

1-Abra o zzzFM e o Geany, arraste o arquivo “*.strings” do zzzFM e solte em cima do Geany.
                            2-Abra o Geany, clique no menu Arquivo, Abrir, localize o seu arquivo “*.strings”.
                            3-Abra o zzzFM, clique com o botão direito sobre o seu arquivo “*.strings”, Abrir, Escolher, clique na aba “Todos os Aplicativos”, localize o Geany na lista de programas. Opcionalmente você poderá selecionar a caixa de opção “Definir como aplicativo padrão para este tipo de arquivo” antes de clicar no Geany e em seguida clicar no botao Ok.

E nunca se esqueça que você obtém uma tradução muito melhor se você traduzir o texto do meu idioma direto para o seu idioma, do que traduzir os meus textos do Inglês para o seu idioma.

Robin

Dear fellow translators!

Some new keys have been added to the resource:

sysv-rc-conf
                              linguist-qt5
                              aCMG
                              Barrier
                              Audacious

Please check the original translations extracted from the desktop files and modify them the way you want it to have in antiX 23.

As always: Be aware the transifex entry numbers are subject of change, please refer always to the entry keys instead, which can be considered to be stable.

Kind Regards
                              Robin

Wallon

Dear Robin,

On my multi-screen computer, as you know, I use the JWM window manager very often.
                                In the main menu, there is a line for the personal menu. No problem.
                                But I always have a bad reflex when I click on;
                                Menu > Applications > antiX > Personal Menu Editor
                                The answer: « This script only works for IceWM ».
                                Why didn’t we put a better wording in English to launch the application like for example « IceWM Personal Menu Editor »?
                                Many people will click on this line in the menu because it is not written that it is only applicable to IceWM!
                                This has already been done for other applications that were reserved for IceWM.
                                This way, we follow the same logic.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
                                Wallon
                                Section [fr] + [fr_BE]

Robin

Dear Wallon,

I have never actively used JWM, just sneaked a peek into the other window managers present in antiX besides IceWM. So I don’t know all the details about what does not work in them. Great you’ve spotted this issue. I’ll change the wording in the English language for this entry according to your proposal, which luckily is possible in this very desktop files resource without breaking all the existing translations of a string. (In .po files translations you couldn’t replace the original string as easily without breaking all translations of the very string)

Many thanks Wallon!

Cordialement,
                                  Robin

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.