antiX 23 Desktop files: New resource for translation present on tranisfex.

Forum Forums antiX-development Translations antiX 23 Desktop files: New resource for translation present on tranisfex.

• This topic has 65 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Jul 22-4:13 am by Robin.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Wallon

Dear Robin,

I think it is better to break the translation so that the translators know that there is something new.
      This is how MX Linux does it. If MX Linux adds a capital letter, we have to retranslate but we have the history in Transifex. That’s how I can see what has changed through the history.
      If this is not possible, let us know on the forum to change the translation. For the moment, I have not changed anything in French.
      It’s normal if I’m the only one to see the problems in antiX because everyone else is watching TV with your program…

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
      Wallon
      Section [fr] + [fr_BE]

Robin

Dear fellow translators,

this resource was updated at transifex to prepare integration of properly translated .desktop files into antiX 23.2

~270 new strings, most of them are translatable keywords. Please make sure to end these with a semicolon always. It is a good idea to add some of the common English expressions to your translation of the keywords to make sure these will be found also when user decides to filter for English expressions while running a foreign language system.

Best regards and happy translating!
        Robin

P.S.: Many thanks @marcelocripe for your great help in preparing the resource!

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

marcelocripe

~270 new strings, most of them are translatable keywords.

As I translated some of the 270 new entries, I noticed that some of the translations that are populated were not the ones I had done most recently. Therefore, I will have to review the 1031 entries against the backup file that I have saved and I will not be able to finish it until July 3rd or 4th, 2024.

– – – – –

~270 new strings, most of them are translatable keywords.

Enquanto eu traduzia algumas das 270 entradas novas, eu percebi que algumas traduções que estão preenchidas não eram as que eu havia feito mais recentemente. Por tanto, eu terei que revisar as 1031 entradas comparando com o arquivo da cópia de segurança que eu tenho guardado e não conseguirei finalizar até o dia 03 ou 04 de julho de 2024.

marcelocripe

Dear translators,

Regarding the “antix23-desktop-files” resource, be aware that the files “fast_personal_menu_editor.desktop” and “icewm-quick-personal-menu-manager.desktop” refer to the same program, therefore, ensure that the its translation is identical in entries 116 and 321, 117 and 322, 118 323, 119 and 324. Over time some “.desktop” files were renamed or changed their name, because the program evolved and received new features.

– – – – –

Caros tradutores.

Em relação ao recurso “antix23-desktop-files”, atente-se de que os arquivos “fast_personal_menu_editor.desktop” e “icewm-quick-personal-menu-manager.desktop” são referentes ao mesmo programa, por tanto, garantam que a sua tradução seja idêntica nas entradas 116 e 321, 117 e 322, 118 323, 119 e 324. Ao longo do tempo alguns arquivos “.desktop” foram renomeados ou mudaram o seu nome, porque o programa evoluiu e recebeu novas funcionalidades.

PPC

I finished the pt_pt localization yesterday, but I forgot to warn:
              I think there are problems with strings 644 and 716 (644 is missing the final ; and 716 uses , instead of ; and is missing the final ; )

P.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by PPC.
              • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by PPC.
              marcelocripe

I was very optimistic thinking that I would be able to finish the review with the translation of the new entries, I managed to get to entry number 705 today. I will probably need another 2 or 3 days to get to entry 1031.

– – – – –

Eu fui muito otimista pensando que conseguiria finalizar a revisão com a tradução das novas entradas, eu consegui chegar hoje na entrada número 705. Provavelmente precisarei de mais 2 ou 3 dias para conseguir chegar até a entrada 1031.

Robin

Are there any proposals from native English speakers for the unknwon keywords ?

169 unknown;
                  170 unknown;
                  595 unknown;
                  611 unknown;

Please post here what these should read in English language, then I can replace them in one go when updating the resource for fixing the errors in 644 and 716 (many thanks @PPC!)

marcelocripe

Entry 632 is identical to entry 765
                    Entry 633 is identical to entry 766
                    Entry 634 is identical to entry 767
                    Entry 635 is identical to entry 768
                    Entry 636 is identical to entry 769

These are some examples of cases where the developer or packager of the “.deb” package changes the name of the “.desktop” file and we don’t know why they do this. It happens that, from one version of the “.deb” package to the next, they change the name of the “.desktop” file and this makes it difficult to manage the various “.desktop” files in Transifex.

I include here my suggestions for the entries (automatic translation from the language “pt_BR” to “en”):
                    778 – Add or Remove Programs at antiX Startup
                    779 – antiX Startup File
                    780 – Is a graphical interface that allows you to add or remove one or more programs (applications/applications) in the ‘startup’ startup settings file of the window manager (Fluxbox, IceWM or JWM) enabling the program starts automatically along with antiX

Do you happen to have any native English speakers following this topic?

With so many English speakers on this forum, it is unthinkable to leave it to foreigners to produce texts in this language. Or is any text written in English suitable for native speakers of this language?

– – – – –

A entrada 632 é idêntica a entrada 765
                    A entrada 633 é idêntica a entrada 766
                    A entrada 634 é idêntica a entrada 767
                    A entrada 635 é idêntica a entrada 768
                    A entrada 636 é idêntica a entrada 769

Estes são alguns exemplos dos casos onde o desenvolvedor ou o empacotador do pacote “.deb” altera o nome do arquivo “.desktop” e não sabemos porque fazem isso. Ocorre que, de uma versão do pacote “.deb” para a outra, alteram o nome do arquivo “.desktop” e isso dificulta o gerenciamento dos vários arquivos “.desktop” no Transifex.

Incluo aqui as minhas sugestões para as entradas (tradução automática do idioma “pt_BR” para “en”):
                    778 – Adicionar ou Remover Programas na Inicialização do antiX
                    779 – Editor do Arquivo de Inicialização do anti
                    780 – O ‘Edit antiX Startup File’ é uma interface gráfica que permite adicionar ou remover um ou mais programas (aplicativos/aplicações) no arquivo de configurações de inicialização ‘startup’ do gerenciador de janelas (Fluxbox, IceWM ou JWM) possibilitando que o programa seja inicializado automaticamente junto com o antiX

Por acaso tem algum nativo do idioma inglês acompanhando este tópico?

Com tantos falantes do idioma inglês neste fórum, é algo impensável deixar para os estrangeiros produzirem os textos deste idioma. Ou qualquer texto escrito idioma inglês serve para os nativos deste idioma?

Robin

First package built for antiX 23.2 testing from current translation progress, for testing:

download: https://drive.proton.me/urls/E0QK5K13MM#RMUJtlhRVbzV

Currently the languages Portuguese, Brasilian Portuguese, Russian, Swedish, and German are 100% translated in this resource. But the test package contains all partly translated languages as well. Don’t forget to check it against the checksum file before installing. To restore the original translations from the program packages to your menu it is enough to purge this antix23-desktop-files package from your system.

@translators : You can check out the result of your transifex translations in antiX main menu by installing the package on antiX 23.2

@anticapitalista: you can always easily build the package from the transifex strings resource yourselves by running the harverster-script:

$ python3 desktop-übersetzung.py -a -to anticapitalista -tp antix-development -tr antix23-desktop-files -ts en -ws en -pv 23.2-1 -ph https://www.antixforum.com -pm antiX -g https://gitlab.com/.../antix23-desktop-files

For the command to work, the minimum requirement is current transifex tx client must be installed and configured, and also git (from the default repos).

It will harvest and collate all translated strings into the .desktop files and put these into a versioned package, ready to install on antiX 23.2 (32 and 64 bit both)
                      Processing and packaging by the script takes ~ 2 minutes (most of this time is fetching files from transifex, depending on connection speed). If you want to do this on your own, please let me know, then I’ll guide you through the setup process. This will you allow to build the package properly for official usage rather than my homebrew-method. There is a translation .mo file available to have the script output in English language, the needed processing-languages file, and the set of antiX-specifically modified .desktop files I have used. (The most recent ones for antiX 23.2 are currently not on gitlab still – work in progress.)

The idea behind having all these .desktop files present in an antiX package is to allow for a more consistent design of the antiX main menu, which is not possible when using the original translations provided by all the program authors. All the different authors and sources will never follow the same wording-scheme and design concept, so there is no option other than to have our own translations present if the main menu shouldn’t look chaotic, with e.g. the Email program Claws at top of the menu and another Email Program Thunderbird at the bottom.

Technically this package replaces the original .desktop files permanently, which are put aside and stored until the antix23-desktop-files package is purged from system, which will restore them. The preinst and postrm scripts of antix23-desktop-files package make sure there will not occur conflicts with the .desktop files provided by the original program packages.

marcelocripe

Hello, Robin.

I managed to do some testing with your newest package “antix23-desktop-files_23.2-1_all.deb”, the test results and my comments are in the text file “antix23-desktop-files_23.2- package test 1_all.deb.txt” along with some images that I used to serve as an example of what Robin wrote in this part of his text:

All the different authors and sources will never follow the same wording-scheme and design concept, so there is no option other than to have our own translations present if the main menu shouldn’t look chaotic, with e.g. the Email program Claws at top of the menu and another Email Program Thunderbird at the bottom.

Thank you very much Robin, for creating a solution to the problem of loss of menu translations that occur when updating or installing programs in antiX.

– – – – –

Olá, Robin.

Eu consegui fazer alguns testes com o seu mais novo pacote “antix23-desktop-files_23.2-1_all.deb”, os resultados dos testes e os meus comentários estão no arquivo de texto “Teste do pacote antix23-desktop-files_23.2-1_all.deb.txt” junto com algumas imagens que utilizei para servirem de exemplo do que o Robin escreveu nesta parte do seu texto:

All the different authors and sources will never follow the same wording-scheme and design concept, so there is no option other than to have our own translations present if the main menu shouldn’t look chaotic, with e.g. the Email program Claws at top of the menu and another Email Program Thunderbird at the bottom.

Muito obrigado Robin, por criar uma solução ao problema da perda das traduções dos menus que ocorrem nas atualizações ou nas instalações dos programas no antiX.

PPC

Dear Robin – I just tested the localized menu entries in pt-pt, and I think I have only a few tweaks to make so they are perfect!

Single “problem”- after installing the package in antiX 23.2 live, “Audacity”‘s entry appeared in my menu, and I don’t have it installed (I should, I used it often, years ago). As far as I can tell, that was the single “extra” addition to the menu…

I bet Marcelo is up in the clouds with this new package!

P.

Robin

Many thanks for the tests.

The problem with some few programs misbehaving when desktop-menu –write-out-global refreshing the menu is known already and is going to be addressed.

Here you’ll find the the second testing package, version 23.2-2

New completed languages included: Catalan and Finnish.
                            All latest fixes and additions to the existing languages at transifex included.

kempelen

It is a good idea to add some of the common English expressions to your translation of the keywords to make sure these will be found also when user decides to filter for English expressions while running a foreign language system.

That’s a very good recommendation @robin, thank you!

I realized this on my own troubles, when I could not find something in App Select. Then I realized I use the usual English term, instead of the complicated localization (and I didn’t keep that while translating). Sometimes translations are complicated and do not come to mind for first, e.g. “driver”, “scanner” or similar words. (Scanner is “Lapolvasó” in Hungarian, which is “page reader” if you see the words. :-) I think most people calls is “Szkenner”, which is the English word written in Hungarian pronounce. :) Driver is “Illesztőprogram” but nobody calls it so. (However those who do not speak English, may search for that, so it’s good to have both.)

Thus with my new updates on this file, I keep the English words as is, and add the translation terms after those. (Except Control Center, which would be very long.) That also saves me from manually adding words that don’t need translation at all, e.g. “ppt” “mp3”. (I would need to remove only really complex English words, but that would not save much, and makes it easier to overview this way.)

I just wanted to emphasize that good recommendation. Thank you!

Another weird problem with these terms is that in Hungarian sometimes the words have suffixes (I think German too) so I need to add various formats, e.g. singular and multiple, or even “folder” vs. “directory” has their own translations, and I do not know which one someone will search for. So that a single “folder” becomes “mappa;mappák;könyvtár;konyvtárak;” in Hungarian (folder;folders;directory;directories;). But also, “scan”, “scanning” and “scanner” – who knows which one someone searches for.

Thank you for making it possible to easily translate these on transifex. Really appreciated!

marcelocripe

I think it is not necessary to include terms in English, as AppSelect can find programs when the search term is written in English. All the tests I did with the English language search were displayed successfully. Could anyone else check to see if my tests are fooling me?

– – – – –

Eu acho que não é necessário incluir os termos em idioma inglês, já que o AppSelect consegue encontrar os programas quando o termo da pesquisa está escrito em idioma inglês. Todos os testes que eu fiz com a pesquisa em idioma inglês foram exibidos com sucesso. Alguém mais poderia verificar se os meus testes estão me enganando?

Robin

problem with these terms is that in Hungarian sometimes the words have suffixes

Yes. But having the radical present in the keywords should already find all suffix forms, if the search engine is looking not merely for complete words. I’m not sure how this is implemented in AppSelect, so I have added some suffixes also.

I think it is not necessary to include terms in English, as AppSelect can find programs when the search term is written in English.

Meanwhile I’m not convinced that the AppSelect looks into the keywords at all. Seems to ignore them completely? Not sure about that. More testing and confirmation would be needed.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.