antiX-23 do not boot after ISO Snapshot

Forum Forums General Software antiX-23 do not boot after ISO Snapshot

• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Jan 6-2:33 am by Pelucia Siffred.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Pelucia Siffred

antiX-23 do not boot after ISO Snapshot

I always used ventoy to boot antiX iso files. When I needed to install many applications, I created a persistence file, installed the applications and used iso-snapshot to create a new DVD image with the new applications installed. I was always able to boot the new DVD image using ventoy without any problems, everything worked fine until antiX-21. But yesterday I downloaded the new antiX-23, installed new applications, used iso-snapshot to create the new iso, but the new image does not boot with ventoy. I repeated the iso file creation process three times and the problem repeated. The following error message appears during the boot process:

Fatal Error
      Could not find file antiX/linufs
      Searched devices: /dev/mapper/ventoy /dev/sdc1 /dev/sr0

I mounted the .iso file and verified that the “antiX/linufs” file exists. I tried using the “from=all” and “bdev=/dev/mapper/ventoy” boot parameters, but it didn’t help. Is it possible to fix this? Is there a way to downgrade the iso-snapshot package? Images created with antiX version 21 worked.

Robin

but the new image does not boot with ventoy.

What is ventoy? Seems not to be present in the default repositories, neither antiX nor debian.
        Please try using the antiX usb creator from control center to create a compatible boot media to proceed with, then all the antiX live specific tools will work flawlessly. I guess there is an issue how this ventoy handles the boot process.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Pelucia Siffred

ventoy is not a linux package:
          https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html

I’m not using antiX usb creator because my flash drive is multiboot, there are many Linux distributions on it, not just one.

anti-apXos

Are you using an up-to-date version of Ventoy? This error has been reported with both antiX-23 and MX-23 for Ventoy versions < 1.0.94.

Pelucia Siffred

I’m using ventoy 1.0.79, I’ll update it and see if it fixes it.

UPDATE: I tested with the newest version of ventoy (1.0.96) and the same error happened. I believe there is another problem besides the ventoy version. The error only happens with images generated with iso-snapshort, but not with original images downloaded.

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by Pelucia Siffred.
              olsztyn

UPDATE: I tested with the newest version of ventoy (1.0.96) and the same error happened. I believe there is another problem besides the ventoy version. The error only happens with images generated with iso-snapshort, but not with original images downloaded.

Hi Pelucia…
                I have tested booting ISO Snapshot from Ventoy and I can confirm:
                – Snapshot of antiX 23 from October fails to boot, not finding linuxfs file.
                – Snapshot done today does boot from Ventoy with no such issue. I am typing this note booted from Ventoy, today’s ISO Snapshot.

If I am not mistaken there was an update to ISO Snapshot in the meantime. If I can suggest some options for you to explore:
                – Update your antiX 23 installation to today’s level and redo the ISO Snapshot. It should work now. It works for me. My antiX 23 is completely updated.
                – If you do need the Snapshot you already created and do not want to redo, then you might want to copy linuxfs file from that snapshot to a working (booting from Ventoy) antiX 23 Live, replacing the existing one. However you need to make sure kernels are matching – vmlinuz in the antiX 23 Live must match the kernel specified in linuxfs file, which would be the one from which you made that snapshot.

I did not test the second option but it should work too. However the first option is more straightforward.
                All the best…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

marcelocripe

Pelucia Siffred wrote:

It’s the same problem I detected when trying to start the ISOs from Remastering antiX 23 Full 32 and 64 bits with Kernel 4.4.0-296.
                  AntiX that was built with ISO Snapshot can start normally when the USB device was created with Live USB Maker, but the ISO on the USB device that was created with Ventoy cannot start. This issue has been reported in the thread ISO Snapshot boots until a black screen and Difficulties remastering antiX 23 with kernel 4.4.0-296.

– – – – –

Pelucia Siffred wrote:

É o mesmo problema a que detectei ao tentar iniciar as ISOs da Remasterização do antiX 23 Full de 32 e 64 bits com o Kernel 4.4.0-296.
                  O antiX que foi construído com o ISO Snapshot consegue iniciar normalmente quando o dispositivo USB foi criado com o Live USB Maker, mas a ISO no dispositivo USB foi criado com o Ventoy não consegue iniciar. Este problema foi relatado nos tópico ISO Snapshot boots until a black screen e Difficulties remastering antiX 23 with kernel 4.4.0-296.

Pelucia Siffred

Thank you very much Marcelo Cripe, you helped me a lot.
                    I was able to make my image generated by iso-snapshot boot with ventoy after some changes. I booted the image downloaded from the site with another method (without using ventoy), used the modern kernel, performed the apt-get upgrade, and generated the remastered image. Now everything is working well.
                    Previously I had booted the image downloaded from the site using ventoy, used the old kernel (Legacy) and had not performed the apt-get upgrade.
                    I don’t know which of the three changes helped, but now it is working.

Muito obrigado, Marcelo Cripe, você me ajudou muito.
                    Eu consegui fazer minha imagem gerada pelo iso-snapshot dar boot com ventoy depois de algumas alterações. Eu dei boot na imagem baixada do site com outro método (sem usar ventoy), usei o kernel moderno, executei o apt-get upgrade, e gerei a imagem remasterizada. Agora tudo está funcionando bem.
                    Anteriormente eu tinha dado boot da imagem baixada no site usando ventoy, usado o kernel antigo (legacy) e não tinha executado o apt-get upgrade.
                    Eu não sei qual das três mudanças ajudou, mas agora está funcionado.

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by Pelucia Siffred.
                    marcelocripe

Pelucia Siffred, thank you very much for returning to the topic and explaining what you did to make the ISO created by Snapshot work on Ventoy.

– – – – –

Pelucia Siffred, muito obrigado por retornar ao tópico e explicar o que você fez para funcionar a ISO criada pelo Snapshot no Ventoy.

pierce.jason

Hello, I am having this same issue with antiX/linuxfs not being found. As of today Dec 27 2023, my hdd installation of AntiX-23 is up-to-date, and so is Ventoy. An additional peculiarity I have noticed ISO-Snapshot .iso files do not have a “To Memdisk” boot option within Ventoy, but the original/official AntiX-23 base .iso lists “To Memdisk” in the Ventoy menu.

Ventoy Ver 1.0.96

root@antix1:/home/home# iso-snapshot -v
                        QStandardPaths: error creating runtime directory '/run/user/0' (No such file or directory)
                        iso-snapshot 23.07.03
                        root@antix1:/home/home# uname -a
                        Linux antix1 5.10.188-antix.1-amd64-smp #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 31 18:52:00 EEST 2023 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                        • This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by pierce.jason.
                        Pelucia Siffred

I did further testing and concluded that the problem always appears if the kernel chosen in the iso-snapshot application is “5.10.188-antix.1-amd64-smp”, but the problem does not occur if the kernel selected is “6.1. 42-antix.1-amd64-smp”.
                          Unfortunately you can’t use iso-snapshot to create DVD images that boot with the older kernel, at least not if you want to use those images with ventoy or easy2boot. EASY2BOOT gives the same problem.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.