antiX-23-full-runit 64 bit for testers only

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23-full-runit 64 bit for testers only

• This topic has 233 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated Sep 4-8:05 am by blur13.
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 234 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista

Has anyone translated the pmrp desktop file into Japanese?
      According to the desktop file I have, it hasn’t.

Name[ja]=Poor Man's Radio Player (pmrp)

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

marcelocripe

It must be the parentheses (pmrp) that gives an error in the Fluxbox menu. The other languages that have the ( ) will also have the same problem.

– – – – –

Deve ser o parênteses (pmrp) que dá erro no menu do Fluxbox. Os outros idiomas que tiverem os ( ) também terão o mesmo problema.

Qwerty

For those running beta3 with root persistence (saved in RAM) and persist-save configured to “2 Semi-automatic”. If you enable FAST_SHUTDOWN=1 in /etc/default/runit-antix, and select not to save live changes when shutting down, are live changes still saved?

I am trying to figure out why the live-changes script isn’t asking for input properly, and this seems to be a serious issue. Semi-automatic is meant to decide if live changes should be saved or not at shutdown. If it forces you, there is no difference to the Automatic persistence saving option.

I’ve found several issues:
          * “K15live-changes” doesn’t set “live_dir” because “local” is used outside of a function.
          * Input can’t be read because the standard input isn’t changed to “/dev/tty1” (in “K15live-changes” or somewhere further in the call chain to “persist-save”)
          * “persist-save” calls “rsync” via “time_cmd_quiet” that tries to redirect its output to a read-only file system, which seems to be the only reason why it fails.
          With these fixed, semi-automatic persistence with “FAST_SHUTDOWN=1” seems to work. But I’m not sure
          * what FAST_SHUTDOWN is for, is it a quick hack or a real option for user systems?
          * there are many error messages about logging to a read-only file system, is it supposed to be writable at this point or should the errors just be ignored here?

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Qwerty.
          Forum Admin
          anticapitalista

Thanks for all the feedback.

I was hoping to release antiX-23 this weekend, but there were/are a few issues to fix and I have run out of time.

I’m going to be very busy with ‘real’ work for the next 2 weeks so it is extremely unlikely antiX-23 will be released in August.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Brian Masinick

Thanks for all the feedback.

I was hoping to release antiX-23 this weekend, but there were/are a few issues to fix and I have run out of time.

I’m going to be very busy with ‘real’ work for the next 2 weeks so it is extremely unlikely antiX-23 will be released in August.

Sorry to hear the “news”, but appreciative of the “REAL” work you do, both here and in the workplace!

I picked up a couple of HIGH capacity, high throughput USB Flash drives in readiness for the event, to use with antiX and possibly other distros, depending on how well the new acquisitions work in actual every day workloads.

Maybe we can name our next release: “See You in September” (just kidding!) 🙂

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/See_You_in_September – here’s one recording –
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05k9sufTOcs

--
              Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

While we’re having a little “fun” with songs, typical Linux “play on words” and other things, that 1973 movie, American Graffiti was full of “oldies” that were big “hit parade” items when I was still a high school student with a full head of clean, but longer hair – dark brown, reaching slightly to the ears and collar, but NOT down my back or anything crazy.

I hadn’t yet added the Jazz musical style to my music or instrumental collections, nor was I aware of this movie until later – I was working with mathematics, science, and had JUST started my computer journey that was about to set the course for my career.

Here’s another tune from that movie entitled “Runaway” – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9_77261XRg

Though this isn’t specifically a “musical” topic; it’s the antix 23 full runit 64 bit testing topic; but we CAN test audio and video from these clips and make sure they work, so that when we’re able to get our hands on our final release in September, we can play the tunes from this movie, “See You in September” and “My Little Runaway”!

Have fun and keep using and testing antiX! We’ll get it out and it’ll be GREAT, when it’s “fully cooked and seasoned!”

--
                Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                anticapitalista

antiX-23 is cooked, but not seasoned enough yet (great analogy @masinick )

fladd

Default Conky config needs a “own_window = no” in order to not have conky be part of the Alt-Tab window list in IceWM.

Forum Admin
                    anticapitalista

Default Conky config needs a “own_window = no” in order to not have conky be part of the Alt-Tab window list in IceWM.

When that option is chosen, the icons on default zzz-IceWM disappear

Brian Masinick

antiX-23 is cooked, but not seasoned enough yet (great analogy @masinick )

Glad I can assist with a “Great analogy” 🙂

Looking forward to
                        “See You in September”! 🙂

--
                        Brian Masinick

fladd

When that option is chosen, the icons on default zzz-IceWM disappear

I also just realized this, sorry.

The correct solution is actually to put this into ~/icewm/winoptions:

Conky.Conky.ignoreQuickSwitch: 1
                          Conky.Conky.ignoreTaskBar: 1

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by fladd.
                          verdy

@anticapitalista, @marcelocripe

Very thanks for big hints.
                            I updated my pmrp.desktop.
                            Application menu works correctly in japanese .
                            I also updated translation data of antiX 23 Desktop Files on Transifex instead of the original Japanese translator, which I respect.

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by verdy. Reason: add: Instead of the original Japanese translator, which I respect
                            calciumsodium

regarding the new antix-installer (ver 23.07.23 and 23.08.06):

In my tests, everything is good for installing the non-uefi systems. But in uefi systems, the installer does not automatically recognize the esp partition. So I manually select the esp option for that esp partition. But installation fails at the 94-95% when it fails to install grub. For previous antix-installers, the esp partition is automatically populated.

Are others seeing this or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

olsztyn

My pipewire-start.sh script looks like this and works for me every time (though I am not using icewm or xorg, so not sure how well it will work for you):
                                #!/bin/bash
                                pidof pipewire || pipewire &
                                pidof wireplumber || wireplumber &
                                pidof pipewire-pulse || pipewire-pulse &

Thank you @abc-nix for this script…
                                Having tested, rebooting a few times, it appears that it works for me as well so far. I have adopted this in my antiX and have not had any issue yet with wireplumber not able to initialize on time.
                                However I do not quite understand what actually makes it work so well… Is it that pidoff that spends some time, so it allows more time before wireplumber starts?
                                Before implementing your above script I was sequencing wireplumber via conditional loop such as:

while ! pidof pipewire >> /dev/null ;
                                do
                                sleep 1
                                done
                                pidof wireplumber || wireplumber &

This way I was ensuring wireplumber did not start until pid of pipewire was available.
                                (I typed the above piece of script from memory, so there might be some typo, but I just want to show the idea).

I like your script better as it avoids using a loop, it is simpler and straightforward. Just I just do not understand what makes it work so well for sequencing pipewire components, as I do not see a conditional sequencing correlation between pipewire and wireplumber.
                                Any technical info behind it would be greatly appreciated.

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                                http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Brian Masinick

Since nobody has responded about the script so far, I’ll try to break it down, and others can condense, explain, or correct anything I write as needed:

1) “pidof is a command-line utility that allows you to find the process ID of a running program.”
                                  Source = http://linuxize.com/post/pidof-command-in-linux/

2) The Logical OR operator (||) is used to execute the command following it only if the previous command fails (returns a non-zero exit status).
                                  The Logical AND operator (&&) is used to execute the command following it only if the previous command is successful (returns a zero exit status).

Source = http://tecadmin.net/use-logical-or-and-in-shell-script/

3) To run a Linux command in the background, all you have to do is to add an ampersand (&) at the end of the command, like this:

your_command &
                                  Source = http://linuxhandbook.com/run-process-background/

4) Putting this all together, first we determine if there is a process ID for each of the relevant audio utilities, pipewire, wireplumber, and pipewire-pulse.

5) If there is a process ID (PID) for the utility, the PID is displayed, otherwise the utility is invoked as a background process.

In all of the instances I’ve explicitly run the script in the past, 3 PIDs were generated, indicating the tools exist; therefore the process identifiers were displayed and no further action is needed.

In cases where the utility is not running, it’s called. The one scenario the simple tool doesn’t cover is the case in which any of these utilities is missing for any reason; I never encountered that scenario, so it’s a reasonable assumption to omit such tests in order to make this script short, sweet and simple.

To summarize, we check to see if the tools are running; if they are we display the number of the process that is running and proceed without calling the utility; if not running we attempt to run it in the background.

Hopefully that’s clear, and the sources I’ve cited give fairly simple explanations if needed for better understanding; otherwise they can be skipped.

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 234 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.