antiX-23-full-runit 64 bit for testers only

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23-full-runit 64 bit for testers only

• This topic has 233 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated Sep 4-8:05 am by blur13.
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 234 total)
  • Author
    blur13

I changed those lines to

key "XF86AudioLowerVolume"	amixer sset Master -M 5%-
      key "XF86AudioRaiseVolume"	amixer sset Master -M 5%+

ie with the -M flag. From the manpage:

-M Use the mapped volume for evaluating the percentage representation like alsamixer, to be more natural for human ear.

With this setting on hitting volume up four times would make the volume go from 50% to 70%, it wont otherwise. It was always bugging me that having alsamixer open and hitting volume up, the volume wouldnt increase by 5%. With the M flag it does.

blur13

If you were to initially set the volume to a known value (like 50%) at startup, you could use the standard antiX IceWM keys presets to raise to 70% by increasing the volume 4 times. You could also change the keys settings to work in 10% steps if you wanted.

The above post is in respose to this.

Not sure what the “reply” function achieves, but thats what I tried using.

olsztyn

Since nobody has responded about the script so far

I could be wrong on this, but I think I saw some place that anticapitalista responded favorably to this script, not necessarily verbally but rather by implementing it in antiX SID recently. I think I saw it there, that at some point the usual pipewire-start script changed to the one suggested by @abc-nix.

Also thanks for the elaborate analysis of scrip components in your above post…

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
          http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Brian Masinick

Since nobody has responded about the script so far

I could be wrong on this, but I think I saw some place that anticapitalista responded favorably to this script, not necessarily verbally but rather by implementing it in antiX SID recently. I think I saw it there, that at some point the usual pipewire-start script changed to the one suggested by @abc-nix.

Also thanks for the elaborate analysis of script components in your above post…

Thank you for sharing about the inclusion of this script and comments about the analysis; it is indeed simple and very efficient; I’m glad to hear that it’s available in Sid – and presumably/possibly in antiX in the future, possibly antiX 23 or 24.

--
            Brian Masinick

olsztyn

Thank you @abc-nix for this script…
              Having tested, rebooting a few times, it appears that it works for me as well so far. I have adopted this in my antiX and have not had any issue yet with wireplumber not able to initialize on time.

Having done more testing and multiple reboots resulted in slight adjustment of the above preliminary statement…

– The script appears to work much more reliably in initializing pipewire components than the original script. Most of reboots resulted in wireplumber initialized.
              – However sometimes it does happen after all that wireplumber fails to initialize. So it appears that sequence of starting wireplumber after pipewire has completely initialized is not assured.

Looks like I will be doing more testing with conditional loop, testing pidof of pipewire before starting wireplumber, which appeared to have worked for me. Further experimenting will tell…

Brian Masinick

Is this “initialization” of either Pipewire or Wireplumber something that is happening AFTER boot time?

Is it possible that it’s something that is impacted either on really slow systems or systems with
                questionable peripheral equipment?

Admittedly on fairly modern equipment, the very basic script that @abc-nix came up with
                simply ensures that the three key components, Pipewire, Wireplumber, and Pipewire-Pulse
                are started, and if not, it attempts to start them.

(commands capitalized for linguistics; actual commands are NOT capitalized).

What the simple script (and the system start procedures) do not appear to do is
                extra checking; the start-up logs on the system may reveal that there are problems,
                either with the hardware, missing software components, or malfunctioning interfaces.

To me, that would be the next thing to research; examine logs, find out WHY stuff
                is NOT running as expected and that will lead to the next steps, whatever they are…

--
                Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Also, all of those processes SHOULD be running, so there IS a problem somewhere.

--
                  Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                  anticapitalista

Default Conky config needs a “own_window = no” in order to not have conky be part of the Alt-Tab window list in IceWM.

When that option is chosen, the icons on default zzz-IceWM disappear

I also just realized this, sorry.

The correct solution is actually to put this into ~/icewm/winoptions:

Conky.Conky.ignoreQuickSwitch: 1
                    Conky.Conky.ignoreTaskBar: 1

The new change to ~/icewm/winoptions cuases conky to crash in zzz-IceWM when user left clicks on the desktop.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

olsztyn

Admittedly on fairly modern equipment, the very basic script that @abc-nix came up with
                      simply ensures that the three key components, Pipewire, Wireplumber, and Pipewire-Pulse
                      are started, and if not, it attempts to start them.

The way I understand it is all about timing. I think wireplumber’s failure to initialize sometimes is because pipewire is not ready yet at that point of time. That is the reason I was previously using a conditional loop.
                      Having said this, most of the time wireplumber comes up, so you have sound working correctly. If it does not, try to reboot and likelihood is it will the second time.
                      So statistically taken pipewire sound will work most of the time.
                      I do not know about ‘modern equipment’ you are referring to. All my laptops I have been testing are from 2012 and older, so considering modern machines, they might be working better for timing of starting that sequence. However, in principle, there is no assurance from programming perspective that wireplumber will initialize correctly.
                      You can test such cases by repeated rebooting and checking with lxtask, whether wireplumber is running and when it is not.

Brian Masinick

I have a few old systems but the ones I use regularly are 5 years old and newer; 2018-2023 vintage systems work fine.

I can’t say 100% because my sample size is not large but I have used it multiple times on systems and browsers that were previously not working with sound unless I explicitly ran a pulse or the equivalent. Now they’re working reliably.

If pipewire isn’t always working, I’d break the handy script into 3 separate scripts or commands.

When it’s working “right”, use the abc-nix script. When it’s slow or malfunctioning, run the second line until it works, then run the third line until it works.

Also examine the logs to make sure the components are working and not throwing errors.

--
                        Brian Masinick

olsztyn

When it’s working “right”, use the abc-nix script. When it’s slow or malfunctioning, run the second line until it works, then run the third line until it works.

Yes. You are right on the nail. This is about the way some older scripts were posted in this forum, by using sleep delays between each part. The last one is still in session start tab, sleep 5, before running volumeicon, although now commented out, as not everyone wants volumeicon… Delays allow current step to finish initialization before next step starts…

My raising this testing observation does not mean I am requesting that a more reliable way needs to be implemented. I am not. If it works for majority of users most of the time what anticapitalista decides, I am fine with this. Anticapitalista makes strategic decisions that never disappointed me, so minor details like this can be sacrificed for the benefit of greater picture and new sound technology, to resolve deficiencies and limitations of the old technology…

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by olsztyn.

Brian Masinick

@olsztyn

Thank you for raising this matter and also thank you for your understanding and reasonable attitude about all of this.

Here’s what I suspect will happen –
                            This technology is definitely an improvement for the overall Linux ecosystem. It could be that we’re going to have to create a few different setups depending on the age and speed of the equipment being used. We clearly have some situations that not many commercial or free systems have become we support such a wide range of aging systems; I suggest that might require some creative ways to configure and script a couple of tools depending on their responsiveness.

Let’s experiment and see what we can come up with that actually works!

--
                            Brian Masinick

BobC

I used the for testers only USB to load a Windows 10 Dual boot UEFI Lenovo, and think I ran into the same issue calciumsodium hit, but I screwed up, and unwittingly made it a non-UEFI machine.

I have now updated the USB and remastered it, but when I try using Boot-Repair to redo, when I select ESP, it gives me a message saying it “Could not find EFI system partition on any system disks. Please create an ESP and try again”.

Can anyone tell me the commands to create an ESP as the boot-repair and Windows 10 would expect to find them or give me a link to them?

techore

@BobC, are using a two disks? One for Windows and one for antiX? If not, Windows upgrades may, will in my experience, mess up the disk partitions and you may not be able to boot antiX without repairs. If using a dedicated disk for antiX, you can create an ESP or EFI system partition by

1. sudo cfdisk
                                2. set partition table to gpt
                                3. create new partition between 512M to 1024M
                                4. set type to EFI, top most selection
                                5. mkfs.fat -F 32 -n esp /dev/[new partition]

-n sets the name so it can be whatever you want.

I too had problem with the grub installation using antiX 23 GUI installer. It worked after I deleted extraneous operating systems EFI boot entries, e.g. Windows 11. I was not dual booting. The process to single boot is much easier due to not having to worrying about trashing the other OSes.

CORRECTION:
                                Regarding the striked text above. I jumped to the wrong conclusion. Apparently, installing efibootmgr fixed a missing dependency for the installer grub installation with UEFI support per anticapitalista’s POST. He calls out efivars as well.

POST: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/installer-fails-to-install-grub-runit-x64-full/#post-115552

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by techore.
                                BobC

It only has the one drive. It has a 500 mb “system reserved” partition formatted ntfs. It is dual booting ok, so I think I’ll just leave it alone rather than risk messing it up since I don’t have any way to restore windows if I goof it up.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 234 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.