antiX-23-full-runit 64 bit for testers only

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23-full-runit 64 bit for testers only

• This topic has 233 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated Sep 4-8:05 am by blur13.
Viewing 9 posts - 226 through 234 (of 234 total)
  • Author
    techore

or if you have an extra usb flash drive and another external (usb) storage device with sufficient storage for used disk space plus a little extra:

http://clonezilla.org/downloads/download.php?branch=stable

Whenever I buy a new laptop, I use clonezilla to backup the disk to image in case I need to return it or restore to gift to family/friends. Saves me the hours of downloading Windows, hunting for drivers, then troubleshooting missing drivers. You could do the same with dd and other tools, but I use clonezilla to ensure I have a working backup.

Happy to help with clonezilla. Let me know.

blur13

I also just realized this, sorry.

The correct solution is actually to put this into ~/icewm/winoptions:

Conky.Conky.ignoreQuickSwitch: 1
        Conky.Conky.ignoreTaskBar: 1

This is a valid solution for plain icewm desktop. I’ll note that the conky script from antiX 19 had the following line:

own_window_type desktop

instead of

own_window_type normal

and this is also a solution when using conky with a plain icewm desktop.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by blur13.
        blur13

Before implementing your above script I was sequencing wireplumber via conditional loop such as:

while ! pidof pipewire >> /dev/null ;
          do
          sleep 1
          done
          pidof wireplumber || wireplumber &

This way I was ensuring wireplumber did not start until pid of pipewire was available.
          (I typed the above piece of script from memory, so there might be some typo, but I just want to show the idea).

olsztyn,

Do you have the exact script? Did it work? I think this is a better solution. If I interpret abc-nix script correctly it simply avoids duplication of pipewire when “restarting session”, it doesnt address the underlying problem that pipewire needs to be running before wireplumber is initialised.

I’ve been using sleep commands between pipewire and wireplumber, but its erratic. Sometimes sleep 1 is enough, sometimes sleep 3 fails.

Like you said, a fallback to ALSA when wireplumber isnt running would be nice. Some apps take forever to start when wireplumber is absent, ie telegram, since it cant find the audio stream. If I recall correctly, this was the way pulseaudio worked. When the pulse daemon wasnt running the system would revert to alsa (at least on antix 19).

EDIT: If wireplumber fails to start, there is nothing stopping you from simply starting it manually. There really is no need to reboot. Just type “wireplumber” in gExec, rofi, or similar.

blur13

This is the MX fluxbox version of pipewire-start

#/bin/bash
            INITSKIP="false"
            #first init check for pure systemd, no shim
            INITCHECK=$(readlink /usr/sbin/init)
            echo $INITCHECK
            if [ "$INITCHECK" = "/lib/systemd/systemd" ]; then
                    INITSKIP="true"
            fi
            #second init check for system-shim configuration
            INITCHECK=$(/usr/bin/ps -p 1 -o cmd -h)
            echo $INITCHECK
            if [ "$INITCHECK" = "/lib/systemd/systemd" ]; then 
            	  INITSKIP="true"
            fi
            #else start them up
            echo "start pipewire"
            if [ "$INITSKIP" = "false" ]; then
            	if [ -z "$(pgrep -x -u $USER pipewire)" ]; then 
            		/usr/bin/pipewire &
            	fi
            	if [ -z "$(pgrep -x -u $USER pipewire-pulse)" ]; then
            		/usr/bin/pipewire-pulse & 
            	fi
            	#wireplumber doesn't always close down
            	if [ -z "$(pgrep -x -u $USER wireplumber)" ]; then
                    sleep 2
                    /usr/bin/wireplumber &
            	else
                    pkill wireplumber
                    sleep 2
                    /usr/bin/wireplumber &
            	fi
            fi
            exit 0

They also check if the processes are running, but added a sleep 2 command before wireplumber. I think that is wise. But having a conditional loop as olsztyn suggested is still interesting.

Forum Admin
            anticapitalista

Have you tried running the MX-Fluxbox version on antiX?
              How well does it work? (in runit and sysvinit)

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

olsztyn

olsztyn,
                Do you have the exact script? Did it work? I think this is a better solution.

Looks like what I posted was the actual script. The idea of the loop was that while pipewire has not started yet (pid was not available yet) then sleep 1 and loop back until it is able to get pid of pipewire. Once pid of pipewire is ready then start wireplumber, not before. This ensures wireplumber starts after pipewire has been initialized.
                A similar ‘while’ loop was to start volumeicon, making sure wireplumber has started before it happens…
                This scheme appeared to work but I have not done extensive testing, a large enough number of reboots, checking all components each time, due to being distracted recently by other priorities. Hopefully I will be able to get back to this soon…

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

olsztyn

Like you said, a fallback to ALSA when wireplumber isnt running would be nice. Some apps take forever to start when wireplumber is absent, ie telegram, since it cant find the audio stream. If I recall correctly, this was the way pulseaudio worked. When the pulse daemon wasnt running the system would revert to alsa (at least on antix 19).

What I meant was the ‘Pipewire_Toggle’ function provided in antiX 23, which is a manual switch from Pipewire to Alsa and vice versa. I was intrigued by this toggle, which is great to have, to be able to flip between Pipewire and ALSA on the fly.
                  I did not get to test this function yet but as soon as time allows I will…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                  http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

blur13

I’ll test the script on antiX sysvinit later when I have time. For now, I think the key takeaway is the sleep command between pipewire and wireplumber. I modified the antix pipewire-start to include sleep 5, and at least on this system its working all the time now. Obviously sleep 5 is system dependent, on faster systems its probably ok with 2 or 3. Not having sleep at all is more of a gamble, unless a recent system is used. But for an OS targeting older hardware I’d recommend sleep 3+ as a default.

blur13

Conceivably, the script could be left as it is, but with an additional check for wireplumber at the end.

Something like

sleep 10
                      if [ -z "$(pgrep -x -u $USER wireplumber)" ]; then

/usr/bin/wireplumber &

fi

If pipewire-start is the last item on the startup script then this last double check of wireplumber wouldnt slow down the system startup time.

Viewing 9 posts - 226 through 234 (of 234 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.