antiX-23-full-runit 64 bit for testers only

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23-full-runit 64 bit for testers only

• This topic has 233 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated Sep 4-8:05 am by blur13.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 234 total)
  • Author
    marcelocripe

Unfortunately I rarely have occasion to use these features any more, though if we don’t get anyone doing it, I can TRY to come up with a few lame tests.

I can help with this test, but since I only have a Microsoft account (the old hotmail), I will need someone else to help test the conversation with the microphone and camera, even if it is with someone else who does not speak the same language I.

– – – – –

Unfortunately I rarely have occasion to use these features any more, though if we don’t get anyone doing it, I can TRY to come up with a few lame tests.

Eu posso ajudar com este teste, mas como eu possuo apenas uma conta da Microsoft (o antigo hotmail), eu precisarei que outra pessoa ajude a testar a conversa com o microfone e a câmera, mesmo que seja com outra pessoa que não fale o mesmo idioma que eu.

stevesr0

anticapitalista wrote,
        I would also like feedback about how well this version works with apps such as MS Teams/Zoom.

According to (IIRC) RJP, MS Teams requires appstream. The latest libappstream4 in Sid brings in a systemd dependency. The latest libglib upgrade in Sid triggers an appstream error message when apt update is performed (but the update completes OK). I am assuming that an antiX version of libappstream4 might/might not eliminate the error message, and should allow testing of MS Teams related stuff without introducing systemd.

stevesr0

UPDATE: Just installed to usb. Boots fine and I note no problem with sound using Pipewire+Alsa.

Installed Zoom app and when I tried to run it, it required that I close the Firefox browser and then it opened a Zoom window. Video and sound were fine in a test meeting (only me).

P.S. The runit service list was different than I remember from a prior beta. I didn’t see how to check if pipewire service was enabled there. However, pulse Audio Volume Control was listed and launched and alsa showed that Pipewire was running.

Net Initial impression: working well on my “gaming laptop (6.1 kernel intel and nvidia hardware).

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by stevesr0.
        Xunzi_23

Running live from USB.
          Enjoying, Brother MFC printer now working. Had to manually setup /var/spool/lpd/mfcj6710dw
          after which Brother official install script went through correctly, it must install
          lib32stdc++6 and lib32gcc-s1 for the drivers to work.

Regarding release I tend toward 2
          Release our runit version with all the new changes in this new iso and make it clear that
          there may be issues as regards service initialisation.
          New users should be directed to use sysVinit version of antiX by default.

But would change by default to, if they experience initialisation problems with any added applications.

In my short usage the biggest issue is my unfamiliarity with changes and sound which may be a non
          issue for most users.

Most users are on vacation trips at present so I am unable to access some further test devices
          for about 3 weeks.

Mounting devices, as usual my phones are problematic. Drives mount unmount without throwing errors.

verdy

On Live USB.
            A kernel panic occurred when booting with Turkish language selected on the second screen of BIOS boot.
            Encountered in an operation to verify another.
            It may be a well-known thing, but I will attach the PC screen at that time.

Thanks.

olsztyn

2. release our runit version with all the new changes in this new iso and make it clear that there may be issues as regards service initialisation.
              New users should be directed to use sysVinit version of antiX by default.

My vote goes for #2 – New, enhanced runit. But in case anticapitalista decides to go with the old way of runit, we do already have this B3 new runit test release, so we can build our systems with the new runit anyway.

My question: Will antiX SID repos reflect the new runit going forward or the old one, in case the old runit is released in the final antiX 23 ISOs?

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
              http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

RJP

anticapitalista wrote,
                I would also like feedback about how well this version works with apps such as MS Teams/Zoom.

According to (IIRC) RJP, MS Teams requires appstream.

I just tested, and TEAMS is working very well, when it is launched via Chromium-wen-app. ZOOM is working too, but it is good to disable de-noise option for better performance.

olsztyn

Question regarding pipewire sound setup in antiX 23:

It appears I am experiencing erratic issue with correct start of pipewire infrastructure. Occasionally wireplumber fails to start, therefore in turn volume icon fails to initialize. Pipewire-pulse seems start every time.
                  This issue with initializing sequence of pipewire components has been discussed in the past and issue seemed related to timing. Injecting certain timing delays appeared to help, but apparently is not working all the time. In my testing this issue seems to be more frequent when antiX Live is run from an internal SATA SSD. Seems much less frequent when run from usb.
                  Just to mention, sound still works, such as tested through speaker test. Just the wireplumber is not running and in turn the volumeicon fails to initialize…
                  Tested on Thinkpad X220, i5, 4Gb.
                  Anyone else experiencing this issue?

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                  http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

madanadam

On Live USB.
                    A kernel panic occurred when booting with Turkish language selected on the second screen of BIOS boot.
                    Encountered in an operation to verify another.
                    It may be a well-known thing, but I will attach the PC screen at that time.

Thanks.

I saw that boot translations aren’t up to date yet.

sybok

A comment on the post of @abc-nix https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-23-full-runit-64-bit-for-testers-only/page/4/#post-113073 and related discussion concerning services and init-scripts.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2023-July/index.html
                      New systemd, version 254, was released and not good news for SysVinit fall-back

Support for System V service scripts is now deprecated and will be removed in a future release.

This may lead to Debian reducing (ehm: dropping) SysVinit scripts even faster.

Brian Masinick

A comment on the post of @abc-nix https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-23-full-runit-64-bit-for-testers-only/page/4/#post-113073 and related discussion concerning services and init-scripts.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2023-July/index.html
                        New systemd, version 254, was released and not good news for SysVinit fall-back

Support for System V service scripts is now deprecated and will be removed in a future release.

All the more reason to generally discourage continued use of SysVinit for our release. The reason? IF we’re going to keep it, we’re going to have more and more work necessary to keep it usable and maintained.

Before we entered this phase of antiX 23 work, I recall a conversation that anticapitalista had with us. At that time, he was considering looking at one or two additional init systems to complement runit. I remember one of them, S6, can’t recall the other offhand without finding that conversation, but now that we see Debian on the verge of wiping out at least one of the classic init systems, I think, more than ever, that we should make a stronger move to provide and improve upon at least one other init system, so I’m in favor of runit and S6, and maybe the other one, provided that all three have supportable source code.

--
                        Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

http://www.slant.co/topics/4663/~linux-init-systems

Ah! Dinit was the other one, so s6 (apparently it’s lower case) and Dinit (upper case first letter) were the two potential init systems that anticapitalista was *considering* for some “future consideration*.

Again, at this point, it was merely thinking and discussing but these are two viable options to complement runit.
                          Personally I am very happy with where we are with runit but from some recent conversations I understand that it does not meet a few situations — primarily because the support for a few features from the upstream Debian stuff indirectly limits our ability to provide certain capabilities.

Please allow me to comment further. I also regularly use siduction, a very good implementation of a Debian Sid, and it’s quite good, and though I don’t think I have a straight Debian instance at the moment, I certainly HAVE since Debian went to the systemD approach. It works; it’s mostly a matter that it’s pretty much the opposite of what the original UNIX approach USED to be, that is, provide a simple routine to do one thing and do it efficiently and well; systemD gets it’s bits on a LOT more than just “init”-related things, and that’s what is so divisive about it, and the developer is also employed by a commercial Linux company, who also happens to be owned by a very large computer and electronics firm, so the “issues” that people have are, if anything, MULTIPLIED by all of that, whether it works or not.

Given the “politics” behind systemD and the monolithic approach (much more so than the Linux kernel even), runit, s6 and Dinit DO make sense for this international community.

--
                          Brian Masinick

abc-nix

Or Debian (or others) could externalize the tool that loads sysvinit scripts, as antiX does (did) for runit.

If sysvinit support will be removed from runit-antiX, making this version the only init-supported release for antiX, as Brian Masinick seems to suggest, then maybe:

1. Testing on installed systems connected to a USB and/or network shares should be the priority, as this runit-only edition does not safely unmount anything at shutdown time, as was explained by anticapitalista in the OP. Light testing on live will not give you a realistic experience. If you are moving or editing files inside a USB or network-shared folder before shutting down, there is a possibility you will lose the changes or the files could get corrupted. See the importance given to this issue on older posts related to unplugdrive.sh. Probably moving these scripts to /etc/runit-core could be the safest option.

2. sudo cleaning credentials on reboot (found in /etc/init.d/sudo) should be included in /etc/runit-core, so that sudo credential’s timeout is cleared on reboot.

3. all /etc/runit-core/ scripts should be reworked. Those are still in sysvinit format, and reworking them will probably improve boot-time for runit, as commented in this post, and remove even more sysvinit dependencies.

I see that most people are not worried and are happy with the current implementation, but I fear that they are not fully aware of the changes that have taken place. I will not bring this issue to discussion anymore and let everyone concentrate on the user-experience issues.

Brian Masinick

@abc-nix Good points. I’m merely offering one opinion, and I certainly won’t be hurt or offended in any way if the project chooses a different direction.

As far as sysVinit goes, it’s currently supported in antiX 22, which still has plenty of support remaining. If there’s sufficient need (and interest) in sysVinit, there’s no strong feeling to simply dump it, but until your comments, there have been very few people weighing in; you and others who would like to see it remain should be vocal about it and supportive in both usage, testing, and feedback. Thanks for speaking up; I hope there are several others who also share their voices so it will be worthwhile maintaining sysVinit until at least one other init alternative is provided.

--
                              Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Dell Inspiron 5558 laptop live with the 5.10 kernel; this is the third system that I’ve tested;
                                this one has had issues in the past with the 5.10.142 kernel; however the 5.10.181 kernel is working fine.

inxi -Fxz
                                System:
                                  Kernel: 5.10.181-antix.1-amd64-smp arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
                                    v: 12.2.0 Desktop: IceWM v: 3.4.1 Distro: antiX-23-runit_x64-full Arditi
                                    del Popolo 27 July 2023 base: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
                                Machine:
                                  Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Inspiron 5558 v: N/A
                                    serial: <superuser required>
                                  Mobo: Dell model: 086DKN v: A00 serial: <superuser required>
                                    UEFI-[Legacy]: Dell v: A18 date: 12/30/2019
                                Battery:
                                  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 30.1 Wh (100.0%) condition: 30.1/41.4 Wh (72.6%)
                                    volts: 16.4 min: 14.8 model: Samsung SDI DELL 07G07587587 status: full
                                CPU:
                                  Info: dual core model: Intel Core i7-5500U bits: 64 type: MT MCP
                                    arch: Broadwell rev: 4 cache: L1: 128 KiB L2: 512 KiB L3: 4 MiB
                                  Speed (MHz): avg: 2607 high: 2833 min/max: 500/3000 cores: 1: 2394 2: 2555
                                    3: 2833 4: 2646 bogomips: 19154
                                  Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
                                Graphics:
                                  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 5500 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel
                                    arch: Gen-8 bus-ID: 00:02.0
                                  Device-2: NVIDIA GK208BM [GeForce 920M] vendor: Dell driver: nvidiafb
                                    v: kernel arch: Kepler bus-ID: 08:00.0
                                  Device-3: Suyin Integrated_Webcam_HD driver: uvcvideo type: USB
                                    bus-ID: 2-5:4
                                  Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: modesetting
                                    unloaded: fbdev,vesa dri: iris gpu: i915 resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
                                  API: OpenGL v: 4.6 Mesa 22.3.6 renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 5500 (BDW
                                    GT2) direct-render: Yes
                                Audio:
                                  Device-1: Intel Broadwell-U Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel
                                    v: kernel bus-ID: 00:03.0
                                  Device-2: Intel Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio vendor: Dell
                                    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
                                  Device-3: NVIDIA GK208 HDMI/DP Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
                                    bus-ID: 08:00.1
                                  API: ALSA v: k5.10.181-antix.1-amd64-smp status: kernel-api
                                  Server-1: PipeWire v: 0.3.65 status: active
                                Network:
                                  Device-1: Intel Wireless 3160 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel bus-ID: 06:00.0
                                  IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
                                  Device-2: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet vendor: Dell
                                    driver: r8169 v: kernel port: e000 bus-ID: 07:00.0
                                  IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
                                Bluetooth:
                                  Device-1: Intel Bluetooth wireless interface driver: btusb v: 0.8 type: USB
                                    bus-ID: 2-6:5
                                  Report: hciconfig ID: hci0 rfk-id: 1 state: down bt-service: disabled
                                    rfk-block: hardware: no software: yes address: <filter>
                                Drives:
                                  Local Storage: total: 476.43 GiB used: 17.84 GiB (3.7%)
                                  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Kingston model: SA400S37480G size: 447.13 GiB
                                  ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Kingston model: DTR30G2 size: 29.3 GiB type: USB
                                Partition:
                                Swap:
                                  ID-1: swap-1 type: file size: 1024 MiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%)
                                    file: /live/boot-dev/swap-file
                                Sensors:
                                  System Temperatures: cpu: 50.0 C mobo: N/A sodimm: SODIMM C
                                  Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0 fan-2: 0 fan-3: 0
                                Info:
                                  Processes: 158 Uptime: 12m Memory: total: 8 GiB available: 7.67 GiB
                                  used: 1.22 GiB (16.0%) Init: runit runlevel: 2 Compilers: gcc: 12.2.0
                                  Packages: 1681 Shell: Bash v: 5.2.15 inxi: 3.3.28

Same system with the newer kernel –

inxi -Fxz
                                System:
                                  Kernel: 6.1.31-antix.1-amd64-smp arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
                                    v: 12.2.0 Desktop: IceWM v: 3.4.1 Distro: antiX-23-runit_x64-full Arditi
                                    del Popolo 27 July 2023 base: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
                                Machine:
                                  Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Inspiron 5558 v: N/A
                                    serial: <superuser required>
                                  Mobo: Dell model: 086DKN v: A00 serial: <superuser required> UEFI: Dell
                                    v: A18 date: 12/30/2019
                                Battery:
                                  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 30.1 Wh (100.0%) condition: 30.1/41.4 Wh (72.6%)
                                    volts: 16.4 min: 14.8 model: Samsung SDI DELL 07G07587587 status: full
                                CPU:
                                  Info: dual core model: Intel Core i7-5500U bits: 64 type: MT MCP
                                    arch: Broadwell rev: 4 cache: L1: 128 KiB L2: 512 KiB L3: 4 MiB
                                  Speed (MHz): avg: 1099 high: 2000 min/max: 500/3000 cores: 1: 799 2: 799
                                    3: 798 4: 2000 bogomips: 19155
                                  Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
                                Graphics:
                                  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 5500 vendor: Dell driver: i915 v: kernel
                                    arch: Gen-8 bus-ID: 00:02.0
                                  Device-2: NVIDIA GK208BM [GeForce 920M] vendor: Dell driver: N/A
                                    arch: Kepler bus-ID: 08:00.0
                                  Device-3: Suyin Integrated_Webcam_HD driver: uvcvideo type: USB
                                    bus-ID: 2-5:3
                                  Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: modesetting
                                    unloaded: fbdev,vesa dri: iris gpu: i915 resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
                                  API: OpenGL v: 4.6 Mesa 22.3.6 renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 5500 (BDW
                                    GT2) direct-render: Yes
                                Audio:
                                  Device-1: Intel Broadwell-U Audio vendor: Dell driver: snd_hda_intel
                                    v: kernel bus-ID: 00:03.0
                                  Device-2: Intel Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio vendor: Dell
                                    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
                                  Device-3: NVIDIA GK208 HDMI/DP Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
                                    bus-ID: 08:00.1
                                  API: ALSA v: k6.1.31-antix.1-amd64-smp status: kernel-api
                                  Server-1: PipeWire v: 0.3.65 status: active
                                Network:
                                  Device-1: Intel Wireless 3160 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel bus-ID: 06:00.0
                                  IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
                                  Device-2: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet vendor: Dell
                                    driver: r8169 v: kernel port: e000 bus-ID: 07:00.0
                                  IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
                                Bluetooth:
                                  Device-1: Intel Bluetooth wireless interface driver: btusb v: 0.8 type: USB
                                    bus-ID: 2-6:4
                                  Report: hciconfig ID: hci0 rfk-id: 1 state: down bt-service: disabled
                                    rfk-block: hardware: no software: yes address: <filter>
                                Drives:
                                  Local Storage: total: 447.13 GiB used: 12.48 GiB (2.8%)
                                  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Kingston model: SA400S37480G size: 447.13 GiB
                                Partition:
                                  ID-1: / size: 78.19 GiB used: 12.47 GiB (15.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
                                  ID-2: /boot/efi size: 98.4 MiB used: 9.3 MiB (9.4%) fs: vfat
                                    dev: /dev/sda1
                                Swap:
                                  ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 8 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) dev: /dev/sda2
                                  ID-2: swap-2 type: file size: 3 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) file: /swap/swap
                                Sensors:
                                  System Temperatures: cpu: 45.0 C mobo: N/A sodimm: SODIMM C
                                  Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 2200
                                Info:
                                  Processes: 144 Uptime: 1h 32m Memory: total: 8 GiB available: 7.67 GiB
                                  used: 1.21 GiB (15.8%) Init: runit runlevel: 2 Compilers: gcc: 12.2.0
                                  Packages: 1681 Shell: Bash v: 5.2.15 inxi: 3.3.28

Been doing my regular routine with this since installed; haven’t covered all possible apps or scenarios, but I have been doing my normal stuff; for that, it works. Hopefully others are using the apps they use and collectively we get some really good testing in before release.

--
                                Brian Masinick

sybok

@abc-nix:
                                  I (also) bow to your in-depth pointing out of issues; I would not have thought of them.

Or Debian (or others) could externalize the tool that loads sysvinit scripts, as antiX does (did) for runit.

Somehow, I did not think of that either… silly me.

FYI, a quick search on Distrowatch — personal selection of very few examples of distribution(s) not containing systemd in their latest release(s) — for comparison:
                                  artiX (the last two releases thus far): Dinit, OpenRC, runit, S6
                                  Devuan 3+4 (the last two releases thus far): sysvinit, runit, OpenRC
                                  Void (all, rolling only): runit

For reference, the last three releases of MX Linux support both systemd and SysV.

Probably, it is time for me to get at least a bit directly accustomed with inits under the hood, namely with ‘runit’.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 234 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.