antiX-23-full-runit 64 bit for testers only

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23-full-runit 64 bit for testers only

• This topic has 233 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated Sep 4-8:05 am by blur13.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 234 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

Interesting: “artiX (the last two releases thus far): Dinit, OpenRC, runit, S6”

That’s CLOSE to something anticapitalista mentioned for a possible antiX “Future release” – consider Dinit, runit, s6″.

I like that idea very much.

--
      Brian Masinick

calciumsodium

Just the wireplumber is not running and in turn the volumeicon fails to initialize…

One way to get around this is to not use volumeicon at all. This is what I do. Here me out.

I find that clicking on the volumeicon and sliding on the volume indicator is awkward and takes more time than necessary for people like me with bad vision. So I use a set of keyboard shortcuts which are more precise and faster. I add these keys to the keys file in the ./icewm folder (I use icewm). Also, volumeicon takes memory. Why use consume that memory when I don’t need it. And I don’t have to worry about runit startup of volumeicon and the awkward sleep thing in startup. I just comment out the volumeicon in startup.

key "Ctrl+Shift+1" amixer sset 'Master' 10%
        key "Ctrl+Shift+2" amixer sset 'Master' 20%
        key "Ctrl+Shift+3" amixer sset 'Master' 30%
        key "Ctrl+Shift+4" amixer sset 'Master' 40%
        key "Ctrl+Shift+5" amixer sset 'Master' 50%
        key "Ctrl+Shift+6" amixer sset 'Master' 60%
        key "Ctrl+Shift+7" amixer sset 'Master' 70%
        key "Ctrl+Shift+8" amixer sset 'Master' 80%
        key "Ctrl+Shift+9" amixer sset 'Master' 90%
        key "Ctrl+Shift+0" amixer sset 'Master' 100%

If I want exactly 70% volume, I quickly hit Ctrl+Shift+7, etc.

Hope this helps.

olsztyn

One way to get around this is to not use volumeicon at all. This is what I do.

Thank you calciumsodium…
          Indeed. For myself the missing volume icon would not be an issue and I like the key mapping you suggest to shed the volumeicon altogether. Not sure of other users not having the volumeicon though…
          However in the antiX 23 Pipewire implementation I see the following:
          – In spite of Wireplumber failure to start sometimes due to timing of pipewire components sound works fine however (in my testing experience), the way sound is configured with pipewire is that the default card seems not set if wireplumber is not started. In result such ‘amixer sset ‘Master’ 50% needs hardware interface parameter to be specified,
          such as:
          amixer sset ‘Master’ 50% -c0

If wireplumber starts, then the ‘-c0’ parameter is not needed, exactly as you outlined.
          So, shedding the volumeicon altogether seems a good idea, as it is saving memory footprint too. I am not clear of other impact of running such pipewire sound without wireplumber…

It also appears to me that fallback to pure Alsa needs the default sound card interface to be set. Not sure how yet…
          Thanks much for your advice. I will certainly play with this…
          Greatly appreciated.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
          http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Forum Admin
          rokytnji

On the chromebook I decided to try pulse audio in place of pipewire.

XMMS Now opens completely and plays. Just no sound. Ran speaker test with no errors like before.

demo@antix1:~
            $ speaker-test --channels 2 --test wav --nloops 1 && volumeicon &
            [1] 13836
            $ 
            speaker-test 1.2.8
            Playback device is default
            Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
            WAV file(s)
            Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
            Buffer size range from 96 to 1048576
            Period size range from 32 to 349526
            Using max buffer size 1048576
            Periods = 4
            was set period_size = 262144
            was set buffer_size = 1048576
             0 - Front Left
             1 - Front Right
            Time per period = 3.296417
            Just no sound

$ sudo dmesg | grep audio
            [sudo] password for demo:
            [ 45.336567] sof-audio-acpi-intel-byt 80860F28:00: BYT-CR not detected
            [ 45.347163] sof-audio-acpi-intel-byt 80860F28:00: BYT-CR not detected
            [ 45.431846] sof-audio-acpi-intel-byt 80860F28:00: Firmware info: version 2:2:0-57864
            [ 45.431856] sof-audio-acpi-intel-byt 80860F28:00: Firmware: ABI 3:22:1 Kernel ABI 3:23:0
            [ 45.431873] sof-audio-acpi-intel-byt 80860F28:00: unknown sof_ext_man header type 3 size 0x30
            [ 45.467922] sof-audio-acpi-intel-byt 80860F28:00: Firmware info: version 2:2:0-57864
            [ 45.467931] sof-audio-acpi-intel-byt 80860F28:00: Firmware: ABI 3:22:1 Kernel ABI 3:23:0
            [ 45.624175] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1b.0: bound 0000:00:02.0 (ops i915_audio_component_bind_ops [i915])
            [ 48.646775] sof-audio-acpi-intel-byt 80860F28:00: Topology: ABI 3:22:1 Kernel ABI 3:23:0
            $ `

$ pulseaudio
            E: [pulseaudio] socket-server.c: bind(): Address already in use
            E: [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to load module "module-native-protocol-unix" (argument: ""): initialization failed.
            E: [pulseaudio] module-console-kit.c: GetSessionsForUnixUser() call failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit was not provided by any .service files
            E: [pulseaudio] module.c: Failed to load module "module-console-kit" (argument: ""): initialization failed.
            E: [pulseaudio] main.c: D-Bus name org.pulseaudio.Server already taken.

Here is hoping if I reboot running live. Discarding all my changes running live. Uninstalling pipewire and just going with alsa Then trying the same fix I did for antiX 22. Works.

Cuz if it aint one thing it’s another.

$ pacmd list-sink-inputs
            No PulseAudio daemon running, or not running as session daemon.

This is after using Package Installer
            Version: 21.7.02
            Package Installer for antiX Linux

Well, these are the ideas I came up with while cruising on my motorcycle. I bet the package installer has a problem with user demo being added to groups.
            I guess I’ll wait till antiX 22 EOL’s on me . Since Bluetooth was the only problem on here after I fixed sound. Also. /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/synaptics needs to be edited also in this version. 3 fingers for copy and paste. 2 fingers is like left click.

Wondering also if I can get away with changing repo release version to bookworm from bullseye and just update what I have installed already on here.Hoping that apt pinning will protect me.
            `

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
            I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
            Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
            How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

caprea

It appears I am experiencing erratic issue with correct start of pipewire infrastructure.

Olsztyn, I’ve just seen it for the first time, installed on internal ssd.Unlike you, however, I then have no sound at all.

$ pstree
              runit─┬─conky───6*[{conky}]
                    ├─dbus-daemon
                    ├─dbus-launch
                    ├─devmon───udevil
                    ├─pipewire───{pipewire}
                    ├─pipewire-pulse───{pipewire-pulse}
                    ├─rox
                    ├─runsvdir─┬─7*[runsv───getty]
                    │          ├─runsv───slimski─┬─Xorg───4*[{Xorg}]
                    │          │                 └─desktop-session───icewm-session───icewm───+
                    │          ├─runsv───acpid
                    │          ├─runsv───connmand
                    │          ├─runsv───udevd───udevd
                    │          ├─runsv───cupsd
                    │          ├─runsv───dbus-daemon
                    │          └─runsv───seatd
                    └─wpa_supplicant

instead of

$ pstree
              runit─┬─conky───6*[{conky}]
                    ├─dbus-daemon
                    ├─dbus-launch
                    ├─devmon───udevil
                    ├─pipewire───{pipewire}
                    ├─pipewire-pulse───{pipewire-pulse}
                    ├─rox
                    ├─runsvdir─┬─7*[runsv───getty]
                    │          ├─runsv───slimski─┬─Xorg───4*[{Xorg}]
                    │          │                 └─desktop-session───icewm-session───icewm───+
                    │          ├─runsv───acpid
                    │          ├─runsv───connmand
                    │          ├─runsv───udevd───udevd
                    │          ├─runsv───cupsd
                    │          ├─runsv───dbus-daemon
                    │          └─runsv───seatd
                    ├─startup───volumeicon───2*[{volumeicon}]
                    ├─wireplumber───4*[{wireplumber}]
                    └─wpa_supplicant
              BobC

If you were to initially set the volume to a known value (like 50%) at startup, you could use the standard antiX IceWM keys presets to raise to 70% by increasing the volume 4 times. You could also change the keys settings to work in 10% steps if you wanted.

###Added the more common multimedia keys
                ###Multimedia keys
                key "XF86AudioLowerVolume"	amixer sset Master 5%-
                key "XF86AudioRaiseVolume"	amixer sset Master 5%+
                key "XF86AudioMute"		amixer sset Master toggle
                #Set Volume
                key "Alt+Ctrl+KP_Divide" amixer -c 0 set Master 5- # lower volume
                key "Alt+Ctrl+KP_Multiply" amixer -c 0 set Master 5+ # raise volume
                key "Alt+Ctrl+KP_Insert" amixer sset Master toggle # mute on/off
                olsztyn

@caprea:
                  Looks like the same experience as mine, except you have no sound at all. Pstree is missing wireplumber (and in turn volumeicon).
                  I believe pipewire-start needs time delay before wireplumber is started, to make sure pipewire has been fully initialized. I recall we have discussed this in this forum some half year ago…

olsztyn

f you were to initially set the volume to a known value (like 50%) at startup, you could use the standard antiX IceWM keys presets to raise to 70% by increasing the volume 4 times. You could also change the keys settings to work in 10% steps if you wanted.

Yes, indeed. This is probably the most convenient. With both methods though there is no feedback info on level, unless I am mistaken…

abc-nix

@sybok. Bow to the antiX creator. He is the reason we are all using this system. A one-man superpower.

@caprea. My pipewire-start.sh script looks like this and works for me every time (though I am not using icewm or xorg, so not sure how well it will work for you):

#!/bin/bash
                      pidof pipewire || pipewire &
                      pidof wireplumber || wireplumber &
                      pidof pipewire-pulse || pipewire-pulse &

This way I avoid starting pipewire when reloading my session.

BobC

Is there a way to query the current volume level? A little YAD program to display it for 5 seconds or so would solve that.

PS: I think in ~/.desktop-session/desktop-session.conf there is a setting for the initial volume level…

#Default Sound Level
                        #Set the sound volume level when starting up to default level when startup sound is true
                        #Set using amixer sset 'Master' -M
                        #Level is set from 0% - 100%
                        STARTUP_SOUND_LEVEL="65%"
                        Brian Masinick

My vote goes for #2 – New, enhanced runit. But in case anticapitalista decides to go with the old way of runit, we do already have this B3 new runit test release, so we can build our systems with the new runit anyway.

I *like* that idea! IF we don’t adopt the new method, I may keep two or three instances of antiX somewhere (USB, another system, more than one “version or spin” of antiX installed), since I keep multiple partitions anyway.

As it is I have antiX 22 and antiX 23 current full runit 64 bit build on my Dell Inspiron 5558 AND antiX 23 current full runit build on my HP-14, plus USB drives with various instances; I can currently go back to a snapshot of antiX 23 Beta 2 runit that I also have on a miniature sized USB Flash Drive too!

Choices abound!

--
                          Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

@abc-nix Thanks for your script. I’m using IceWM and it works fine; just finished checking it out and the result is positive.

--
                            Brian Masinick

caprea

Thanks abc-nix, that’s the script antiX23 beta3 uses, not so much different

#/bin/bash
                              echo "start pipewire"
                              /usr/bin/pipewire &
                              /usr/bin/wireplumber &
                              /usr/bin/pipewire-pulse & 
                              exit 0

The problem is it only happens sometimes, if olsztyn is right predominantly if booting from internal ssd.I saw it the first time today when I rebooted several times for another reason, but then paid attention to the volumeicon besides because of olsztyn’s report here.

Brian Masinick

I ran @abc-nix script again just a while ago and at first it spit out some messages so I ran it again and then it worked.

Probably it’s necessary to start the initial process and make sure it is running smoothly and then proceed.

Need more evaluation.

--
                                Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I see now; the script won’t complete until the appropriate components are up and running. That’s why I got messages from it one time and then I reran it and it worked. This is good; perhaps even better would be if not ready, pause, then retry. Don’t know if a repeating loop would do it after a second or a few seconds; that’s where the expertise of others is appreciated; just a bit more logic would make it perfect.

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 234 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.