antiX-23-full-runit 64 bit for testers only

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-23-full-runit 64 bit for testers only

• This topic has 233 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated Sep 4-8:05 am by blur13.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 234 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

I broke down the nice tool that @abc-nix wrote, a.k.a. I ran
      pidof pipewire and it returned 2154, indicating that pipewire is started; therefore pipewire & does not need to run.
      pidof wireplumber returned 2156, indicating that wireplumber & does not need to run.
      pidof pipewire-pulse returned 2157, indicating that pipewire-pulse & does not need to run.

Therefore,

#!/bin/bash
      pidof pipewire || pipewire &
      pidof wireplumber || wireplumber &
      pidof pipewire-pulse || pipewire-pulse &

is a very useful script!
      The other thing people can do is bring up the Task Manager Menu –> Applications –> System –> Task Manager
      and look for pipewire, wireplumber and pipewire-pulse.

I can see each of these in my Task Manager; if you see them already, you do not need to start them;
      if you do not see them, then
      pipewire &
      wireplumber &
      pipewire-pulse &
      will start each of these in the background; assuming they’re available and work,
      they’ll each return a PID, (process ID) for the processes started; if that doesn’t happen,
      it’s time to diagnose; make sure these three programs are properly installed; if not,
      install them; in my case they are in place.

Again, thanks for suggesting this very easy, useful and short script.

--
      Brian Masinick

Xunzi_23

On a live system running from USB cups must be started each boot so a user/tester can print
        without needing assistance

Before I start messing with things I do not fully understand. ;-).

Is removing cups from /live/etc/init.d live disable services the correct way to ensure cups will
        start as expected when set to do so with use of the runit service manager.

Am I likely to need further steps. i have no worry on either boot times nor memory usage.
        Booting from latest generation USB stick is faster than from internal HDD.

entropyagent

I don’t know if this is of interest, but on this (2010 BIOS) machine in live sessions, IceWM with standard software, both kernels gave acceptable audio from youtube.

demo@antix1:~
          $ inxi -SMCNAG
          System:
            Host: antix1 Kernel: 6.1.31-antix.1-amd64-smp arch: x86_64 bits: 64
              Desktop: IceWM v: 3.4.1 Distro: antiX-23-runit_x64-full Arditi del Popolo
              27 July 2023
          Machine:
            Type: Desktop System: Dell product: OptiPlex 780 v: N/A
              serial: <superuser required>
            Mobo: Dell model: 03NVJ6 v: A01 serial: <superuser required> BIOS: Dell
              v: A04 date: 04/30/2010
          CPU:
            Info: dual core model: Pentium E5400 bits: 64 type: MCP cache: L2: 2 MiB
            Speed (MHz): avg: 1198 min/max: 1200/2700 cores: 1: 1197 2: 1200
          Graphics:
            Device-1: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
            Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: intel dri: crocus
              gpu: i915 resolution: 1024x768~60Hz
            API: OpenGL v: 2.1 Mesa 22.3.6 renderer: Mesa Intel Q45/Q43 (ELK)
          Audio:
            Device-1: Intel 82801JD/DO HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
            Sound API: ALSA v: k6.1.31-antix.1-amd64-smp running: yes
            Sound Server-1: PipeWire v: 0.3.65 running: yes
          Network:
            Device-1: Intel 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network driver: e1000e
          demo@antix1:~

I did notice a slight oddity during the boot process, after selecting Normal Boot: The top line on the screen says
          “antiX 23-runit (Arditi del Popolo)” while a line of Os or zeroes are displayed below it, until the line “start init” appears below the Os. At this point, the top line loses the first few letters, and reads only “ti del Popolo”.

This does not seem to affect anything, but looks a little odd on my Samsung monitor.

Forum Admin
          anticapitalista

On a live system running from USB cups must be started each boot so a user/tester can print
            without needing assistance

Before I start messing with things I do not fully understand. ;-).

Is removing cups from /live/etc/init.d live disable services the correct way to ensure cups will
            start as expected when set to do so with use of the runit service manager.

Am I likely to need further steps. i have no worry on either boot times nor memory usage.
            Booting from latest generation USB stick is faster than from internal HDD.

Easiest way when running live fom usb is to remove the disable=lxF ‘cheat’

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Xunzi_23

@anticapitalista. Will do as you suggest. Thank you for fast answer.

I also see same effect entropy agent mentioned, was unsure at first,
              problem with fast system start :-), the lines fly past.
              His post-113216 excerpt:
              top line loses the first few letters, and reads only “ti del Popolo”.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by Xunzi_23.
              • This reply was modified 10 months ago by Xunzi_23.
              Forum Admin
              anticapitalista

I’m going to follow abc-nix’s advice and ship antiX-23 runit with the older scripts and keeping /etc/rc*.d .
                I’ll keep pipewire on by default for full editions.
                base editions will ship with alsa.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Brian Masinick

I’m going to follow abc-nix’s advice and ship antiX-23 runit with the older scripts and keeping /etc/rc*.d.

Thanks anticapitalista; that is a good idea and I am looking forward to seeing the final release!

--
                  Brian Masinick

olsztyn

I’m going to follow abc-nix’s advice and ship antiX-23 runit with the older scripts and keeping /etc/rc*.d .

Understood. Looking forward to the new ISO.
                    Question:
                    Will SID repos have the old version of runit or the new version?
                    Thanks.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                    http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

calciumsodium

Thanks. That way, everybody gets to choose their favorite sound device.

I suppose that this decision to keep the older runit scripts buys more time to build out the new runit scripts for the future Trixie release?

Thank you for accommodating feedback.

Forum Admin
                      anticapitalista

sid will keep the older runit scripts for a while, but sid users will be the first to get the new changes once I’m comfortable with them.

abc-nix

I think this is the safest option just before a stable release. Leave the things that we know works and move the experimental stuff to sid/testing.

sid will keep the older runit scripts for a while, but sid users will be the first to get the new changes once I’m comfortable with them.

If you can update the [runit-antix] and [runit-core-services-antix] repos, I will open a pull request and start reworking some runit-core scripts to remove sysvinit dependencies, and also see how to implement the umount options as you originally intended here:

echo 'Unmounting network shares...'
                          umount -a -r -t nfs,nfs4,cifs
                          entropyagent

Looking forward to the new release.

While scanning a live vm boot of the B3/RC1 for my old “invalid user _runit-log:adm” warning, I noticed a warning related to getty-ttyv0. I hope it is nothing significant.

$ ps -feww|grep -i log
                            root        2016       1  0 07:41 ?        00:00:00 runsvdir -P /etc/service log: ...........................................................................................................................................................................................utmpset: warning: unable to logout line ttyv0 in utmp: no such entry mv: cannot stat '/etc/service/getty-ttyv0': No such file or directory utmpset: warning: unable to logout line ttyv0 in utmp: no such entry 

Edit: OK, that did not display very nicely, perhaps the …. confused it. Trying without code tags.

$ ps -feww|grep -i log
                            root 2016 1 0 07:41 ? 00:00:00 runsvdir -P /etc/service log: …………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….utmpset: warning: unable to logout line ttyv0 in utmp: no such entry mv: cannot stat ‘/etc/service/getty-ttyv0’: No such file or directory utmpset: warning: unable to logout line ttyv0 in utmp: no such entry

• This reply was modified 9 months, 4 weeks ago by entropyagent.
                            calciumsodium

I am enjoying watching food show using Live DVD of this antiX23 b3 version.
                              Works good on this old laptop where the mousepad is broken. I move the mouse button using numbers keys. No hard drive. Just an old rewriteable DVD burned with antiX23 b3 on it. Pretty cool. All my friends say throw out this computer. But I can run the latest software on it!

Attachments:
                              PPC

mousepad is broken. I move the mouse button using numbers keys. No hard drive. Just an old rewriteable DVD burned with antiX23 b3 on it. Pretty cool

Yes, pretty cool. If you use a small and cheap usb mouse (some people don’t even like using touchpads and always use a mouse), and use the DVD to boot into a tiny USB flashdrive, You’ll probably have a faster system… I assume the reason you use a DVD is beacause the laptop is so old that it can’t boot from USB.
                                Note: in my netbook, booting from my live pendrive is way faster than running from an installed system (you can do that either booting from DVD and using the USB cheat code or booting with a plop boot cd- the method that I use)- so, in very old systems, running antiX live is really the best way to use it in the fastest way possible. Running live from USB and using a mouse will just feel like you are using a low end modern laptop.

P.

madanadam

Today I tried MX 23 and no issue with live initrd after selecting Turkish Lang. It starts normally like default startuo. Are they using same files? Only a few fixes are done for gazelle installer.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 234 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.