[Solved] AntiX-23 LXDE Error Dialogue Boxes

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions [Solved] AntiX-23 LXDE Error Dialogue Boxes

• This topic has 15 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Sep 25-6:29 pm by PPC.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    rej

Hi-

This is a long shot because probably nobody else uses LXDE with antiX, and the desktops are no longer supported.

In the off chance that there is someone who knows how to disable error dialogue popups, I am posting.

The system runs perfectly, with no functionality issues – the error popups are just a nuisance.

Disabling “desktop notifications” does not disable these type of dialogue boxes.

AntiX-19, and 17 would get PID error boxes, but it was just 2 files that needed to be installed and that stopped them. Those files do not stop these popups (libpolkit-qt5-1-1 & girl.2-polkit-1.0.).

Runit, sysVinit, LightDm and slimsky all have same popups. Elogind is enabled with proper dependencies installed.

Currently, runit-full and sysVinit-full (slimski) are installed, both on same laptop.

Lxpolkit, dbus, and dbus-daemon appear to be running at startup in Htop (all versions mentioned). I have searched the online sources and tried many of the suggestions to no avail.

Installed through Synaptic, the boxes indicate “policykit1” errors.

Installed through Package Installer the boxes indicate PID 2562 error – which is LXpolkit, and is running.

Both appear to be the same issue.

rj@antix23-runit-rj:~
      $ inxi -F
      System:
        Host: antix23-runit-rj Kernel: 6.1.42-antix.1-amd64-smp
          arch: x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: LXDE v: 0.10.1
          Distro: antiX-23-runit_x64 bookworm September 08 2023
      Machine:
        Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 20BWCTO1WW
          v: ThinkPad T450s serial: <superuser required>
        Mobo: LENOVO model: 20BWCTO1WW v: SDK0E50512 STD
          serial: <superuser required> UEFI-[Legacy]: LENOVO
          v: JBET48WW (1.13 ) date: 04/20/2015
      Battery:
        ID-1: BAT0 charge: 11.1 Wh (95.7%)
          condition: 11.6/23.5 Wh (49.6%)
        ID-2: BAT1 charge: 13.6 Wh (95.8%)
          condition: 14.2/23.5 Wh (60.6%)
      CPU:
        Info: dual core model: Intel Core i5-5200U bits: 64
          type: MT MCP cache: L2: 512 KiB
        Speed (MHz): avg: 725 min/max: 500/2700 cores: 1: 500
          2: 500 3: 1400 4: 500
      Graphics:
        Device-1: Intel HD Graphics 5500 driver: i915 v: kernel
        Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X:
          loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa dri: iris
          gpu: i915 resolution: 1600x900~60Hz
        API: OpenGL v: 4.6 Mesa 22.3.6 renderer: Mesa Intel HD
          Graphics 5500 (BDW GT2)
      Audio:
        Device-1: Intel Broadwell-U Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
        Device-2: Intel Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio
          driver: snd_hda_intel
        Sound API: ALSA v: k6.1.42-antix.1-amd64-smp
          running: yes
        Sound Server-1: PulseAudio v: 16.1 running: yes
      Network:
        Device-1: Intel Ethernet I218-V driver: e1000e
        IF: eth0 state: down mac: 68:f7:28:ac:a8:40
        Device-2: Realtek RTL8192EE PCIe Wireless Network
          Adapter driver: rtl8192ee
        IF: wlan0 state: up mac: ac:e0:10:25:b9:c7
      Drives:
        Local Storage: total: 342.81 GiB used: 8.33 GiB (2.4%)
        ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Kingston model: SA400S37240G
          size: 223.57 GiB
        ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Transcend model: TS128GMTS430S
          size: 119.24 GiB
      Partition:
        ID-1: / size: 23.86 GiB used: 8.33 GiB (34.9%) fs: ext4
          dev: /dev/sda5
      Swap:
        ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 2.93 GiB
          used: 0 KiB (0.0%) dev: /dev/sda1
      Sensors:
        System Temperatures: cpu: 39.0 C pch: 42.0 C mobo: N/A
        Fan Speeds (RPM): fan-1: 0
      Info:
        Processes: 172 Uptime: 0m Memory: 7.47 GiB
        used: 755.4 MiB (9.9%) Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.25
      rj@antix23-runit-rj:~
      $
      • This topic was modified 10 months ago by rej.
      olsztyn

This is a long shot because probably nobody else uses LXDE with antiX, and the desktops are no longer supported.
        In the off chance that there is someone who knows how to disable error dialogue popups, I am posting.

Although I am not using LXDE with antiX, I do use kind of ‘LXDE’, which is Openbox/LX Panel on antiX on regular basis.
        So out of curiosity what might be the error messages you are referring to, I installed LXDE on antiX 23 runit full and currently I am typing this post on it. I have played a bit with it and I have not seen any error messages, so I am not clear how to reproduce the error messages you are referring to.
        From what I see so far in my brief testing LXDE I installed seems completely fine running on antiX 23 and seems consistent with antiX strategy, namely it is *elogind*-free, that means elogind and libelogind0 are not installed. Memory footprint is slightly higher than antiX 23 with default antiX 23 with IceWM, namely seems about 60M more.
        It appears to me that if someone wants LXDE desktop on antiX 23, this 60M difference in base memory footprint is not such a big price for LXDE desktop, but it is a personal choice.
        So unless I see those error messages you are referring to, LXDE seems just fine with antiX 23. I am testing on Thinkpad T410, i5, 4Gb memory. antiX/LXDE appears to use base of about 250M of memory footprint measured with Task Manager on my machine. LXDE was installed via Control Centre / Package installer.

Edit:
        Having some free time this morning I have done further testing in search of the error messages you brought up in the initial post of this thread and have done some configuration of this LXDE desktop, such as changing default theme, adding some apps and reducing memory footprint. It happens also that I am sensitive to memory footprint, therefore:
        – Changed theme
        – Replaced PCManFM with zzzFM, default in antiX, which I like better.
        – For testing added some apps to desktop and launcher
        – Left Pipewire sound as default

Resulting desktop seems to use just about 20M more of memory footprint than IceWM and about 25M more memory than JWM.
        All seems working fine in my testing with this LXDE. No trace of the error messages you are referring to in the initial post so far in my testing. Now testing on Thinkpad X61, Core2Duo, 4Gb RAM, from about 2008.
        Trying to attach screenshot:

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by olsztyn.
        Attachments:

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
        http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

mikey777

I’ve been using antiX with LXDE for a few years now (on versions 17, 19 & 21); it’s my preferred daily desktop, as ice and the other WMs weren’t for me. I haven’t had any of the issues you mentioned with LXDE. It has always seemed to run very smoothly and also economical on RAM too.

In the past I installed LXDE on antiX-core, now I use antiX-base, both with equally good results, but now prefer the ‘base’ version as it already comes with a lot of useful software, which I would have to otherwise install manually. I have only ever used the SysV versions of antiX – never tried runit.

I have space on my drive to create an additional install of antiX23 + LXDE. I am curious to do this to check if I’m getting the same issues as yourself. I’ll try and get round to this in the next week or two and let you know the result. My present setup for machine, system and CPU is as follows:

$ inxi -MSC
          System:
            Host: X71Q Kernel: 5.10.193-gnu1 arch: x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: LXDE
              v: 0.10.1 Distro: antiX-21_x64-base Grup Yorum 31 October 2021
          Machine:
            Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: X71Q v: 1.0
              serial: <superuser required>
            Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X71Q v: 1.0 serial: <superuser required>
              BIOS: American Megatrends v: 201 date: 09/17/2008
          CPU:
            Info: dual core model: Intel Pentium Dual T3200 bits: 64 type: MCP cache:
              L2: 1024 KiB
            Speed (MHz): avg: 998 min/max: 1000/2000 cores: 1: 998 2: 998
          • This reply was modified 10 months ago by mikey777.

▪ 32-bit antix19.4-core (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on :
          - (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
          ▪ 64-bit antix21-base (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on:
          - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
          - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. SiS Graphics

olsztyn

Looks like my update to my post crossed in the air with the post from @mikey777…
            I just want to also add a very important test criteria for me, namely compliance with antiX strategy of being libelogind0-free. So, LXDE as comes in antiX package installer seems completely libelogind0-free. I do not know if anticapitalista has configured LXDE for antiX or it has happens that this new version is libelogind0-free.

In result, LXDE seems fully compatible with antiX 23 as desktop complementing the four standard antiX WMs, although it seems using about 20M more memory footprint in my testing than IceWM…

PPC

On my coffee break, I just installed LXDE on antiX-23 Live. It seems to run without errors, but volumeicon does not start.
              Notes:
              -Default Theme is very similar to the one antiX 23 uses by default – no big change there…
              -Menu is more bare bones than antiX’s. Also has no search function that I could find (antiX menus do have app-select to go around that problem). Please note that we can easily edit IceWM menu to be identical to LXDE’s – to have the categories on the first layer; the “Run” launcher; “Exit”.
              -Like IceWM, LXDE does have a CPU graph on the system tray- IceWM can be configured to show just a CPU graph.
              – I did like the options that are available when the user right clicks the panel, and the option use a picture as a background for the panel. I found no obvious way to add quick-launchers to the panel (IceWM includes, by default an entry on the quicklauncer’s part of the toolbar to manage that).
              – I did not explore how to configure LXDE, but most relevant IceWM settings can be managed by the IceWM Control Centre, all in a completly GUI way.
              – ZZZfm was forked from a fork of PCManFM, so they are very similar. ZZZfm is, by default, apparently more feature rich than PcManFM- it lacks the option to run apps, but users can always add a Bookmark to /usr/share/applications, and be able to launch apps from ZZZfm…

Conclusion:
              – I had nor errors when trying out LXDE on antiX-23 64bits Full in Live mode
              – The biggest difference I noticed between LXDE and the default antiX configuration, is a different default File Manager (that can be changed), a different menu (IcewM’s menu can be edited to look just like LXDE’s), and a different GUI to manage settings (with the possibility to easily add a picture to the toolbar background), and finally, a different session exit window (that does the same thing as antiX’s default one).

I see no big selling point to adding LXDE instead of using antiX’s default desktops. Of course, users can do as they please with their systems, make it their own, in order to use it just the way they like… What I don’t see it the point to moving to something that is almost identical and uses marginally more resources…

Edit: just in case anyone needs this info: to manage the quick-launchers on LXDE’s panel: right click the panel > Go to Panel Settings > “Applets” tab > Double click the Applications bar entry to manage it’s contents. On IceWM the same result can be achieved by using app-select, selecting an app then to add/remove it from the Toolbar or using IceWM’s Toolbar Icon Manager, available from the menu or the toolbar itself…

EDIT:
              I know this is way behond the scope of this Thread, but here it goes: to have in IceWM almost the same exact menu that LXDE offers (if that is what makes you use LXDE):

antiX Menu > Control Centre > “IceWM settings” > “Menu” tab > Back this file and replace it’s contents with:

runonce "App finder" /usr/share/icons/papirus-antix/48x48/categories/d-feet.png "app-select.App-select" app-select
              separator
              include menu-applications

NB: the first line is just to allow you to have a way to search for apps from inside the menu, you can remove it.

You can disable the “Settings” menu entry in IceWM’s Control Centre (it’s available also in antiX’s Control Centre, on the “system” tab”).
              From there you can also remove any unwanted system tray information “square”.
              From there you can also enable the application icon on the title bar of the window, remove the indication of coordinates while moving windows, etc…

You can use IceWM Toolbar Icon Manager to remove the entries you do not like from the toolbar, and also add whatever you want. One thing that you can’t do, in IceWM is adding an exit button to the right of the toolbar (but you can add the “Exit session” icon to the quick-launcher part of the toolbar).

These changes, and setting, in zzzfm a bookmark to /usr/share/applications and setting zzzfm to run executables with a left click, give a very close User eXperience to LXDE, without having the problems that running a DE may cause in antiX… And thus making the problem reported here go away.

P.

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by PPC.
              olsztyn

I see no big selling point to adding LXDE instead of using antiX’s default desktops.

I do not think anyone here is proposing adding LXDE to the standard selection of the four WMs. I think the point is that it seems working exceptionally well for antiX as desktop. A similar idea was bounced in the past and if I remember anticapitalista declined, preferring to stick to the current four WMs. I think I remember Mate was being discussed too, but I do not think (in my experience only) Mate is working as well with antiX.
                In relation to your comparison of LXDE and IceWM, I think an argument can be made however that all those tools developed for IceWM are separate collection of scripts, while LXDE has that built-in as integrated, uniform desktop, rather than separate, unintegrated set of tools.
                I have not been using LXDE with antiX until testing today, but I have been using Openbox and LX Panel on antiX and integration is very important for uniform operation as well as looks as one unity.

On LXDE per se, I remember that about one and half year ago there was a heated discussion in this forum, where one former member of this forum, currently showing as anonymous was trying to prove that LXDE was using actually less memory than IceWM, trying to argue for LXDE as better. Being too insistent, eventually got banned from this forum under criticism and verbal conflict with another opinion. However at that time I remember anticapitalista appeared to be quite receptive to arguments, although I was not under impression that superiority on the merit of memory footprint was not proven for LXDE, as anticapitalista was demonstrating a small advantage of IceWM under the same conditions.
                One way or the other, choice of desktop environment is a personal decision. If one choses LXDE, then although it works very well with antiX and looks beautifully after themes changes, still not much support can probably be expected in formal manner from antiX forum, as this desktop environment is not formally adopted as one of antiX standard.

PPC

I do not think anyone here is proposing adding LXDE to the standard selection of the four WMs

Maybe I expressed myself wrong – I did not think the OP was suggesting that. (I also contemplated adding Enlightenment to antiX, in a recent post- it works quite well too, and really really brings something different to the OS).

Like I said, users are free to configure their systems as they like, I’m all for it! What I meant by suggesting adapting IceWM’s configuration to be more similar to the default LXDE one is a “lateral” way of not fixing, but avoiding the problems the user reported (that I could not reproduce in antiX 23).

PS: I’m not just for people adjusting antiX’s look and feel, I provided users with a tool to do that: FT10! Part of the current antiX default setup was inspired by what FT10 did to the system: using zzzfm as File Manager, adding bookmarks and a Trash bin to it, having an easy GUI to connect to shared folders, including, in the toolbar, a way to manage the toolbar icons; include skippy-xd on the toolbar; having a GUI to manage most essential settings (IceWM Control Centre) are all part of the Default antiX Desktop, that make it almost a full blow D.E., when combined with Control Centre, app-select, etc…
                  Yesterday and today, I wrote a new thread on how to make antiX 23 almost like a MacOs clone… So, I’m the first one in line in what concerns making changes to our systems!!!

P.

olsztyn

Yesterday and today, I wrote a new thread on how to make antiX 23 almost like a MacOs clone… So, I’m the first one in line in what concerns making changes to our systems!!!

Yes, I know. I saw that one on MacOS look too…
                    I also know it is not easy to adapt antiX to act like MacOS. There are many aspects to take care of.
                    However on reverse side, I have been running antiX 23 on my MacBooks with no issues, except a bit more heat. I think antiX 23 runit is very capable to run not only on typical mainstream ‘Windows’ computers but also on Macs and perform very well. Memory footprint of antiX running on MacBook is 10% of memory footprint of MacOS!
                    On LXDE, I experimented with various desktop environments just out of curiosity and none seems as compatible with antiX architecture as LXDE, which runs as if made for antiX.
                    I do not know what happened that libelogind0 is no longer a dependency. Is this possible anticapitalista made modifications? I clearly remember that libelogind0 was typically brought in in the past as a component installed for one of LXDE components, possibly PCManFM… This no longer being an obstacle, LXDE fits antiX like charm…

mikey777

@rej
                      I’ve done a bit of digging, and found that someone else previously raised this issue with antiX22 + LXDE, see https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/lxde-on-antix22-no-session-for-pid-and-no-shutdown-in-logout/#post-117241

From a quick online search, I notice issue has also been raised by others, using either Debian or Ubuntu.

I see that PPC didn’t get the pid error, but he has used the live environment, which may behave differently to a permanent install.

This morning, I installed antiX23 + LXDE on a spare partition on my laptop’s main drive and got both the ‘pid error’ you experienced, as well as the ‘gui shutdown issue’, both reported in the link I’ve just given. I have just added a comment about this in the above link. Apart from these two issues, the install went smoothly, replacing slimski for lxdm, as well as configuring ~/.config/lxpanel/LXDE/config for autologin, so that it worked better.

▪ 32-bit antix19.4-core (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on :
                      - (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
                      ▪ 64-bit antix21-base (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on:
                      - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
                      - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. SiS Graphics

olsztyn

This morning, I installed antiX23 + LXDE on a spare partition on my laptop’s main drive and got both the ‘pid error’ you experienced, as well as the ‘gui shutdown issue’, both reported in the link I’ve just given. I have just added a comment about this in the above link. Apart from these two issues, the install went smoothly, replacing slimski for lxdm, as well as configuring ~/.config/lxpanel/LXDE/config for autologin, so that it worked better.

In my testing (as antiX 23 Live on internal SATA disk though, rather than traditional install) with antiX 23/LXDE I am using slimski, not LXDM for login manager, just as antiX/IceWM. Also logout/shutdown specified on LX Panel to be exit-desktop-session, which is the standard on on antiX. Just as shown in the picture in my preceding post.
                        Perhaps this config was to account for clean, no-error, drop-in replacement LXDE desktop, not sure… I did not get to this point of my looking into these details yet.
                        All I see is that slimski is the active login manager in my install and logout is the exit-desktop-session, which I specified in LX Panel Settings.

rej

I have played a bit with it and I have not seen any error messages, so I am not clear how to reproduce the error messages you are referring to.

Thank you olsztyn!

I had been using Openbox, which ran perfectly without any error boxes and could not figure out why LXDE had this behavior. Also in antiX-23 sysVinit with elogind and its dependencies enabled, it still had the error popups. Systemd is not necessary for me, so it does not matter anyway.

After installing a snapshot that had antiX 23 runit full with only IceWM with all my installed apps and any customizations, noticed that libeogind0 was already installed, but not elogind.

Uninstalling libeogind0 in terminal showed files it was removing with it. Some were lib files associated with elogind, policykit, and Gthumb (which must have had systemd dependencies).
                          l
                          That was the whole problem! LXDE functions better than ever now.

Thanks to you with the time and effort you put into this, not only does LXDE run nicely, the root of the problem was exposed.

Thank you for the memory information – I usually install the base version, but cannot get the 6.1 kernel for it (5.1 kernel – no internet, will not accept password for Ethernet or Wifi).

As per your post description, I installed the LXDE panel configuration file in Openbox and it is perfect to have open windows close the way they do in LXDE and IceWM (the 4 options in Tint2 settings all lack that function). Now it is consistent with IceWM, so as not to close windows inadvertently. I like both panels and can enable either one, just run Openbox, and remove LXDE.

So thank you again for resolving the problem, making it easy, and for the added bonuses.

I appreciate your help!

rej

I’ve been using antiX with LXDE for a few years now (on versions 17, 19 & 21); it’s my preferred daily desktop, as ice and the other WMs weren’t for me

Mikey777-

Thanks for your input and efforts to help – the problem in antiX-23 turned out to be an application that I installed and had systemd dependencies.

Thanks again!

olsztyn

Resulting desktop seems to use just about 20M more of memory footprint than IceWM and about 25M more memory than JWM.

Inspired by @rej to look further at LXDE as antiX desktop I realized that my memory footprint reported before as quoted was not accurate. At that time I just quickly compared memory footprint of fresh LDXE desktop (with desktop icons) to memory footprint of IceWM (no desktop icons). Having realized this error I have done some more precise comparison as apples to apples:
                              – Fresh boot directly to desktop (zzz-Icewm or LXDE)
                              – Pipewire sound in both desktops, making sure volume icon is present and working. Here I must mention that for zzz-IceWM volume icon must be loaded as volumeicon via startup session, while in LXDE volume icon is built-in in LX Panel and must be specified in LX Panel configuration window to show.
                              – Measurement was done using the standard Task Manager memory footprint display, which includes the memory the Task Manager is using. This comparison was done on Thinkpad X220, about 12 year old laptop, antiX 23 runit Full, as systemd-free and libelogind-free, of course. The same set of desktop icons in both.

Resulting memory footprint measurements after fresh boot and waiting several seconds so memory footprint settles:
                              – zzz-IceWM desktop: 171M
                              – LXDE desktop: 179M

In result my conclusion is that measuring under the same conditions LXDE has 8M larger memory footprint than zzz-IceWM. So it is marginally higher, while I expected this difference to be more significant.
                              If I remember correctly about this difference was posted when we had a similar discussion in this forum about one and half year ago, when anticapitalista came up with similar difference result, while another forum member (showing as anonymous since) was arguing that LXDE used actually less footprint than IceWM. That discussion was on antiX 21, if I remember correctly.

All considered, I am typing now this post from LXDE configured antiX 23 runit, completely libelogind-free, on the same Thinkpad X220.
                              As mentioned before, in the recent past I have been using regularly antiX 23 runit Full with Openbox+LX Panel, so with no desktop icons, to minimize memory footprint and I typically do not use desktop icons. However, I can imagine that some users might prefer full desktop with desktop icons, so LXDE, rather than just Openbox+LX Panel is more appropriate to use and simpler to install and configure.

rej

What I don’t see it the point to moving to something that is almost identical and uses marginally more resources…

P. –

Wow – lots of useful information!

The problem turned out to be an application I installed that pulled in systemd dependencies

What I appreciate with LXDE is the open windows on the panel as “flat buttons”, “icons only”, slightly more configurable system tray, easier functionality of Nitrogen (not all options configure in IceWM), easy color and panel customization without having do it in the theme with an editor [Gimp] on every piece of the panel.

On the other hand, IceWM has features that LXDE does not offer, so I use them both. Now with the LXDE panel installed on Openbox [thanks to olsztyn’s post), I won’t need LXDE.

If any of them had the XFCE panel timer applet (with pause feature), that would be what I would use daily.

Going to try the edits you have suggested.

Thanks for taking the time to compose all this!

olsztyn

In result my conclusion is that measuring under the same conditions LXDE has 8M larger memory footprint than zzz-IceWM. So it is marginally higher, while I expected this difference to be more significant.

In closing this research (I think) I performed similar testing on much less ‘powerful’ laptop from 2008, namely Thinkpad X61, Core2Duo T7300 CPU, 4Gb RAM, and the memory footprint cost appears to be consistent. Namely LXDE seems to use about 8Mb more memory footprint than IceWM.
                                  Being quite sensitive to memory footprint of antiX, as the leader among linux distros in this respect, it looks to me that those 8Mb extra memory footprint could be considered a good price for functionality and integration. My testing proves to me that it works very nicely on such low powered machine (X61 Core2Duo) with full featured application set.
                                  Trying to attach a snapshot:

• This reply was modified 9 months, 4 weeks ago by olsztyn.
                                  Attachments:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.