antiX-23 released.

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-23 released.

• This topic has 190 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated Oct 14-5:02 am by andfree.
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 191 total)
  • Author
    marcelocripe

I don’t know who updates the translations, but the translation is missing;
      – for AntiX Package Installer: the categories and messages are in English for fr_FR.
      – for unplug drive, everything is in English for fr_FR and fr_BE.

Dear Wallon.
      I also noticed that several phrases are not translated to “pt_BR” in the Package Installer.

– – – – –

Caro Wallon.
      Eu também percebi que várias frases não estão traduzidas para “pt_BR” no Package Installer.

mcpderez

DistroTube coverage of antiX-23: http://youtu.be/Bh6bpli11x0?si=r8cUWvNlORKReshm

techore

Nice! Watching it now.

Thank you, @mcpderez.

PPC

DistroTube coverage of antiX-23: http://youtu.be/Bh6bpli11x0?si=r8cUWvNlORKReshm

It seems that DT is a nice example of why I think “app select” menu entry on the first layer of the menu should have a more generic title, like “App launcher”/ “App finder”, etc… and that it also should say something like “(and manage launchers)”- he thought app-select was some kind of app store.

DT is the first reviewer that I see changing the screen resolution AND also restarting the window manager, so the wallpaper (and conky) are also resized)!
            The only problem with his review is that he failed to mention that to save screen settings it’s simply enough to save them under the default name, under the default folder- and that selected resolution/monitor will always run at the startup. By the way – why not using an alias/script for xrandr’s GUI asking if the current desktop should be restarted, after running xrandr?

I’m just sorry that DT did not also show the Control Centre or really showcased app-select and all it can do, or Package Installer… I think he went into a bit more detail on his last antiX review…
            Anyway – nice review from someone that really knows Linux…
            Note: stupidity rules everywhere… The first comment on DT- that literally stands for DistroTube was: “Stop doing these distro review”. What the…?

Edit: it was the first video I saw showing the full install process of antiX-23 final, AND also showing how to setup encryption and what happens when we try to boot an encrypted drive – very nice.

P.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by PPC.
            mcpderez

I agree it is unfortunate that he didn’t go into Control Centre or much of the antiX menu and features like remastering and all of the localization, but I am sure that was just beyond the scope of a “quick look” video. Overall it seemed very complimentary and did a fine job demonstrating how easy it is to get started.

greyowl

I tried antiX 23 on a live usb with my Compaq laptop. It seemed to work fine. I did not have any sound problems.
                So, if I have no problems with sound with the live usb, does this mean that if I install it on the laptop, I will not have any sound problems.

Dell Latitude D620 laptop with antiX 22 (64 bit)

Brian Masinick

It’s at least a good start.
                  Hopefully it’ll work when installed too.

--
                  Brian Masinick

Xunzi_23

I read once too many times, can not hear a difference between sound from Pulse Alsa Pipewire etc and ALSA.

To do so an audio chain must be established starting with a high quality input and ending with loudspeakers of
                    decent quality.

Certainly not something like the game noise machines Logitech produces.

Playing from youtube or other similar highly compressed sources will not reveal anything. Low quality in on the
                    highest quality hifi only gives out what was inputted more correctly.

We used Bell reference CD and a Lite on drive, Intel High definition Audio. Amazon Music also delivered high quality
                    source music.

Tested, others noted a difference, antiX 23 with and without pipewire.
                    Amp and speakers from Yamaha Piano Craft, two identical computers in a/b, then
                    switching the computers and used software to rule out device differences as far as possible.
                    Connected to an Alchemist Kraken class A amp and Floor standing KEF Q series Speakers immediate differentiation.

With my Teufel stereo plus sub bass system a difference is audible, replacing with Yamaha Satellites and sub bass,
                    same goes but more definition, so teufel will be sold.

Cheapest speakers found to show clear difference were JBL Controll One, near field monitors. They look pretty kinky
                    but have been developed and improved for many years. Need a reasonable amplifier, meaning not a watt monster, a small
                    NAD or similar is enough. As computer speakers in small rooms, then wall mounted an absolute bargain.
                    The Pro model is slightly better in lower ranges, Adding a decent sub bass, take a bit of time to get the crossover
                    frequency right, then sound rocks.

As good monitors should be, the JBL speakers are very revealing, linear and accurate, not a lot of bass as small.
                    Your lady wife may think they look terrible.

your ears will love them :-)..

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Xunzi_23.
                    PPC

@PPC wrote: On the pipewire sound problem… I solved that running live on my netbook, using a process that I tested several times and I think anyone can reproduce:
                      – start antiX – no volumeicon, audio not working…
                      – wait for about 1 minute after you get to the selected desktop (I count the time the system is running on conky)
                      – antiX Menu > Desktop > Desktops > and select your default desktop to select it again. It will restart. Volume icon will appear in a couple of seconds, audio will work problem free.

The simple problem I detected running live, using pipewire is that if I use pauv to change the volume, the Control Centre’s audio test wont work for some seconds (the window will close instantly). After some seconds, the audio test will run just fine. Weird… (I did not run the audio test from the terminal to see any error message)

This post was made in an effort to try to help people having problems with the current default pipewire configuration in antiX-23, and that have no technical know-how to manual edit configuration files (even if the how-to is very simple to use) or are simply running live and want to test antiX-23 in a kick way.

I also noticed that on my very old and underpowered netbook, the “Applications” menu is incomplete (it only shows some entries) and requires me to Refresh the menu. Since some people complained about this on previous versions of antiX too, I have a suggestion: on the end of the Live startup file, include the command that refreshes the menu – this takes only a couple of seconds ( 4-5 seconds max) even in underpowered devices and avoids that problem on extremely slow hardware.

I’m also thinking about one suggestion that will probably have anticapitalista black list me from this forum 🙂 : yet another iso… a 64bit only iso, more streamlined, featuring only runnit and IceWM and Zzzfm (no sysv or other Window managers and no rox filer), and with Firefox (non ESR version), with localization files already included, and also Libreoffice with some localization files already included (like the appimage version offered in Libreoffice’s homepage).
                      It could also feature a more modern kernel and any other small additions (my update reminder script comes to mind)- this would be similar to the AHS MX Linux version – it would run better on newer computers (I know, I know, not really “our thing”, but for me, a 10 or 8 years old computer is “new”) and not overwhelm users with “so much choice”. It can be used as a testing ground for future antiX version, testing new configurations, etc.

P.

blur13

@xunzi_23

Interesting read and results. For those of us that prefer to use headphones (or rather, those around us prefer we use headphones), what would you recommend?

I’ve got my sights set on a pair of AKG K92 headphones, are these any good?

Brian Masinick

@PPC creating additional ISO images from snapshots, recreating with different sets of choices, etc. is a feature of antiX; trying to add more images to the already vast 16 different images is another matter. If you want to create another version and share it, go right ahead; just don’t expect anticapitalista to support yet another image.

There are plenty of sites available from which to host the image, including at least a couple with GIT in the name. If that’s what you want to do, as long as it’s your project or you can get others to work with you, go for it!

--
                          Brian Masinick

techore

@blur13, http://www.head-fi.org/showcase/akg-k92-over-ear-closed-back-monitoring-headphone.22227

If I had to only own one pair of headphones, today, it would be: http://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

and, back on topic. 🙂

PPC

@Mr Masinick – like you can probably see from my words and emoji use, I was 90% joking with my suggestion of a new iso…

@all:
                              I just noticed 2 minor improvements in Package Installer – Virtualbox is now in the “Virtualizarion” category… And Edge is available in the “Browsers” category.
                              To be honest, because Microsoft makes both an OS and a Browser that are not opensource, and also because they currently are a company that makes money selling their user’s data, I do not use their products. I tested Edge, now and then. I love how it looks, it’s default page showing me news, and it’s quite speedy. But I won’t use it as my main browser, because of privacy concerns. But it has it’s uses – if you want to use Microsoft365 (that used to be called Microsoft Office on-line, later rebranded to something like Office365), Skype, or any other Ms on-line service… You are already providing your data to MS, so you may as well use the browser that was thought, from the ground up, to run those services. I tried it with Microsoft365 free (because I still have an Hotmail account), used Edge to “install Microsoft365”) and I got a Microsoft365 icon on my menu, that I can place on the toolbar or the desktop (using app-select). If you require Microsoft365 for Work or study – it’s probably the best way to do it under Linux.
                              Note: for some reason the “Package Management” category, in Package Installer is not localized in pt (it remains in English).
                              Some of the text PI displays in the app’s install process is not localized – it does not greatly harm it’s usage but it makes user’s life a bit more difficult – they may be scared that the text in English is some kind of warning or error.

Installing the “non free video codecs” seems to work correctly (in 64bits Live mode)
                              – I noticed that Package Installer does not offer Desktop Environments anymore? – I agree- like someone smart said here: availability makes users assume support. I assume everything offered on an “App Store” works on the device. And installing a D.E. is not something ordinary users want to do, they just use what’s provided out of the box. Folks wanting to experiment and install a D.E. should have the know-how to also make it work, editing config files, installing missing hidden dependencies, etc.

Package Installer now offers OnlyOffice on it’s “Office” category – I’ve been suggesting that for a while now – it’s a kind of MS Office “clone”, fully opensource, very compatible with MS products, also easy to use (so, I think it’s not as feature rich as LibreOffice, but even so, it has enough feature to make some 95% of office software users happy).
                              I’m not sure if “Microsoft fonts” were already offered, but they are now- so antiX now has easy access to everything office related any user may want (if you want Microsoft Office/Microsoft365, see my comments about Edge- you can run it in your browser, in antiX- it does not have 100% of the features – ex: no Excel Macros, but other than that, common users should be pretty happy with it, as long as they have internet access)

My only suggestion to the “Office” category would be “Wordgrinder” – it’s a terminal word processor, compatible with odt (it’s very basic and does not have mouse support, just a typing machine but it allows for bold, italic or underlined text)- so you can do basic document reading/editing even on a machine that does not have a window manager. Or you can install the X11 version of wordgrinder and do it a simple window, running in your dekstop (but still, the X11 version has no mouse support). Lack of mouse support is not very serious – if you want to access the menu, just press “Esc”. ctrl+u underlines text, ctrl+b makes it bold, ctrl+i turns it into italics. If you have a very large text, you can use the “search” function. It even has autosave features, etc. It uses it’s default file format, so you’ll have to import/export your text to odt.

-On sound – I’m once again pretty baffled by sound problems. I have sound working, in antiX-23 live mode, I think pipewire is working, I have volumeicon on the system tray, Pavu works ok to manage audio… but when I tested Youtube on Microsoft Edge (a chrome based browser), I had no sound. Pavu showed the volume bar moving up and down, but no audio… running Edge with apulse, produces audio. What the…? I’m officially staying away from antiX-23 audio for at least a couple of days (I’ll probably try to install it in my netbook on the next week end, maybe- but now that my home desktop died on me, it’s my main home computer, so I do not want to risk it not having sound- my baby girl does use it to watch YouTube on TV, it’s better than having her burn her eyes watching a tablet).
                              Edit: after reading @olsztyn post, I tried the first law of computing: “If it does not work, turn it off and turn it back on”. I did so, restarted antiX-23 live, installed Edge, sound works perfectly now… go figure!

P.

olsztyn

-On sound – I’m once again pretty baffled by sound problems. I have sound working, in antiX-23 live mode, I think pipewire is working, I have volumeicon on the system tray, Pavu works ok to manage audio… but when I tested Youtube on Microsoft Edge (a chrome based browser), I had no sound.

Just out of curiosity I installed Microsoft Edge and tested YouTube sound. It works as expected in my testing. Pavu controls work fine too, as much as I can tell.
                                My test system has sound based on Pipewire.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                                http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Brian Masinick

@PPC regarding different configurations – and ISO images for them, I personally consider that a standard feature with antiX, and in order to get the setup I want AND to test one of the excellent features included in the Full versions of antiX, I typically DO start out, whenever we have a new release, by running live first, add the tools, applications, appearance features, and my own customizations to whatever I want, then I run ISO Snapshot. I then have ANOTHER Flash Drive for however many instances I keep; in the case of antiX 23, I ended up with 3 Flash Drives because I DID reuse one of them as I was making and snapshoting the images, but in essence I have a configuration Flash Drive, and two customized Flash Drives, one each of antiX 23 runit full AMD64 and one with antiX 23 sysVinit full AMD64. I can, and have used these to install on three of my systems.

In order to save time when I install to my different systems, I do all of the customization on one system, then I build my snapshot, and then I install it on as many instances as I desire, and I also create at least one Frugal persist setup so I can run that way at least some of the time.

This just happens to be the way that I like to do things; it results in my own personal experience, yet it’s based 100% on standard software. The only thing “non standard” in any way are my personal customizations and specific tools that I add to my systems; that’s it. Takes about an hour or so to put together one such instance, but then it’s much quicker if I want to either run it in Frugal mode or install it somewhere else.

This is also only one example of how people can make antiX into their own personal creation without deviating very far at all from the standard installation or toolchest. I didn’t share every single detail; those matters are personal. What I did attempt to do is explain how a system can be personalized, yet contain mainly (or only) standard software.

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 191 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.