antiX-23 released.

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-23 released.

• This topic has 190 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated Oct 14-5:02 am by andfree.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 191 total)
  • Author
    Rantanplan

Bonjour,

Oui, merci à anticapitalista et à l’équipe de bénévoles de nous offrir une distribution sympathique, facile à utiliser et pleine de bonnes surprises.
      Merci de continuer à produire la version 32bits qui permet à ceux qui n’ont pas les moyens d’acheter du matériel récent de continuer à utiliser leur machine : c’est très charitable.

Vraiment à tous : BRAVO et HOURRAH HOURRAH HOURRAH

Salutations cordiales

Vive antiX !
      Vive le Groland !

olsztyn

Thanks again for this milestone release of antiX…
        In comparison to Beta 3 many little things appear to be finalized, thanks for these details. Overall this final release of antiX 23 appears to work very well and many options are included by default, such as bluetooth ready to go.
        Just a minor question on top of what I already previously noticed:
        – There are two occurences of dbus-daemon task running. Is this expected? I think I saw just one occurrence in Beta 3, if I am not mistaken.
        – I see also at-spi-bus-launcher running? What actually needs this one? I do not think I saw this one in Beta3.

Overall, very nice release.
        Thank you.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
        http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

blur13

Great news! Thank you!

BobC

Great to hear… Got it downloaded and will be installing tonight 🙂

Thanks to all that helped!

Daily driver distro https://www.antixforum.com

Wallon

Dear Master anticapitalista,

Thank you very much for your dedication to the community, for all your work in coordination and development.

We can all pop the cork on the champagne bottle. We all deserve it.

I’d also like to thank ChPol and Rantanplan who are developing a kind of Wiki in French. They spend a lot of time testing, understanding programmes and giving the best tips and tricks.
              It’s a huge amount of work and it’s a great added value for the French-speaking antiX community.

antiX 23 is also a big revolution for the French-speaking community with the full integration of the Azerty keyboard for IceWM. I’d like to say a special thank you to the developer gijsbers on Github IceWM who helped me integrate the Azerty keyboard.

antiX 23 is also a big improvement in the management of keyboard shortcuts (Logo Key + up, down, left and right arrows) for multi-screen installations in Fluxbox, IceWM and JWM.

My thoughts also go out to Robin, who I hope will be back soon to give us a little sign on the forum.

There are so many new things in antiX 23 that we could write several pages on DistroWatch…

Thank you and long live antiX.

Kind regards,
              Wallon

Brian Masinick

I’m late to the “ballgame” getting this RELEASED instance actually installed.

I picked up not one, but two additional USB sticks. Unfortunately I discovered that their capacity, 1 TB,
                for some reason doesn’t work well (I couldn’t get it to work at all) for successfully completing
                Live USB Maker, so I used a different USB Flash Drive and I’m running it now; so far GREAT!

I’m intending to put both the runit and sysVinit versions on Flash Drive;
                over the past release I’ve been using exclusively runit; I’m using sysVinit LIVE
                right now, about to install it; then I’ll grab the runit version.

BEST WISHES everyone; thank you anticapitalista; it looks great; test participation
                has been very good, and I believe this one’s going to be as good or better than
                our previous work! Congratulations to anticapitalista and everyone who has developed,
                tested, suggested ideas, and participated in other meaningful ways; I’m VERY pleased
                with what I’m seeing already!

--
                Brian Masinick

stevesr0

Hi anticapitalista,
                  On first run of the live USB (runit full 64), I did an apt update and full-upgrade and saw the following message from you:

deb http://la.mxrepo.com/antix/stretch/ stretch main nosystemd nonfree
                  Most if not all other mirrors will give errors

Will there be an announcement when we can use other antix mirrors?

I am seeing the jumping cursor problem that I think I have fixed in many prior versions of antiX (and other distros). SOLUTION (I think): In the Control Centre Hardware Menu, and in the Mouse Configuration Panel, scroll down to the lower half and enable “lockout touchpad when typing”. (Requires restart)

Regarding olsztyn’s question about the launch items that continue to be active after their apps are launched, I wonder if this is normal in order to allow relaunch if necessary without reboot.

Needless to say, I immediately looked to see that pipewire was running. It is.

Thanks, anticapitalista and all the other folks he listed as contributors.

(I do appreciate being mentioned for the tiny contribution on Pipewire.)

stevesr0

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by stevesr0.
                  Brian Masinick

“Phase 1” of my “plan” to obtain one version of antiX 23, run it live, then install it, re-institute my typical setup,
                    run an ISO Snapshot, then Live USB Maker to create my updated version.

This means that:

1) I’ve created a USB Flash Drive containing antiX 23.
                    2) I have run at least one of the antiX 23 images live.
                    3) I have installed antiX 23 on my system.
                    4) I’ve run ISO Snapshot once configuring my system as desired.
                    5) I’ve run the Live USB Maker to save the resultant updated image.
                    6) I’ve rebooted and run again LIVE on the snapshot.

This release I did this with the sysVinit version; I’ve been testing the runit version
                    throughout testing; I’m confident that both of them work;

Later I’ll get the runit version and work with it too.

pinxi -bop
                    System:
                      Host: antiX23-HP-14-fq1025 Kernel: 6.1.42-antix.1-amd64-smp arch: x86_64
                        bits: 64 Desktop: IceWM v: 3.4.1 Distro: antiX-23_x64 bookworm August 28
                    Machine:
                      Type: Laptop System: HP product: HP Laptop 14-fq1xxx v: N/A
                        serial: <superuser required>
                      Mobo: HP model: 887C v: 59.11 serial: <superuser required> UEFI: AMI
                        v: F.18 date: 11/26/2021
                    Battery:
                      ID-1: BAT0 charge: 40.6 Wh (99.8%) condition: 40.7/40.7 Wh (100.0%)
                    CPU:
                      Info: 6-core AMD Ryzen 5 5500U with Radeon Graphics [MT MCP] speed (MHz):
                        avg: 1516 min/max: 1400/4056
                    Graphics:
                      Device-1: AMD Lucienne driver: amdgpu v: kernel
                      Device-2: Chicony HP TrueVision HD Camera driver: uvcvideo type: USB
                      Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: amdgpu
                        unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa dri: radeonsi gpu: amdgpu
                        resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
                      API: OpenGL v: 4.6 Mesa 22.3.6 renderer: AMD Radeon Graphics (renoir LLVM
                        15.0.6 DRM 3.49 6.1.42-antix.1-amd64-smp)
                    Network:
                      Device-1: Realtek driver: rtw89_8852ae
                    Drives:
                      Local Storage: total: 295.77 GiB used: 3.32 GiB (1.1%)
                    Partition:
                      ID-1: /live/boot-dev size: 56.27 GiB used: 3.3 GiB (5.9%) fs: ext4
                        dev: /dev/sda1
                      ID-2: /media/LIVE-UEFI size: 48.2 MiB used: 12.4 MiB (25.6%) fs: vfat
                        dev: /dev/sda2
                      ID-3: swap-1 size: 7.81 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap
                        dev: /dev/nvme0n1p6
                    Unmounted:
                      ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1p1 size: 260 MiB fs: vfat
                      ID-2: /dev/nvme0n1p2 size: 1000 MiB fs: vfat
                      ID-3: /dev/nvme0n1p3 size: 48.83 GiB fs: ext4
                      ID-4: /dev/nvme0n1p4 size: 48.83 GiB fs: ext4
                      ID-5: /dev/nvme0n1p5 size: 48.83 GiB fs: ext4
                      ID-6: /dev/nvme0n1p7 size: 35.09 GiB fs: ext4
                      ID-7: /dev/nvme0n1p8 size: 47.85 GiB fs: ext4
                    Info:
                      Processes: 254 Uptime: 3m Memory: total: 8 GiB note: est. available: 7.1 GiB
                      used: 948.8 MiB (13.1%) Shell: Bash pinxi: 3.3.29-2

--
                    Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Steve, I used the repo manager tool and it’s working fine; selected antiX and Debian repos and allowed it to choose the fastest mirror sites for both; it’s working great in the release!

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by Brian Masinick.

--
                      Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I’m going to get the runit image next…

--
                        Brian Masinick

olsztyn

Runit in this final antiX 23 is very well done. This runit is an upgrade from the one in antiX 23 Beta3.
                          It appears to me that all shutdown routines are completed. This final edition of antiX 23 starts and shuts down very quickly.
                          I am puzzled runit version is in subfolder. It really should be the main antiX now…
                          I think you will like it.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                          http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Brian Masinick

I’m here on a Frugal antiX 23 setup with the runit image, so I’ve now run both images
                            and they are both awesome!

--
                            Brian Masinick

stevesr0

Hi all,

First running on this oldish Fujitsu Lifebook (2006 vintage) of a live USB.

Looks good, works good. Speedy (by my standards <g>) !

Notably, for the first time, on YouTube music videos, I can adjust the volume from the cheap Logitech headset. The music came up by default on the laptop speakers although I am using a headset. Easy adjustment in the Pulse Audio Volume Control application, running Pipewire.

Thanks Brian, for testing other antix repos.

stevesr0

P.S. Brian is in South Carolina and I am in North Carolina. Both are in the Eastern Time Zone. I am reading a note of his from today which is listed as being posted at 10PM. I assume that is Greenwich Mean Time? After I post this note at about 1915 Eastern Time, I will look to see what the forum has listed its time. Hmm — it was actually only a 4 hour difference – shouldn’t the difference be 5 or 6 hours?

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by stevesr0.
                              Brian Masinick

1915 shows up here as 11:10 PM August 28 Steve, so I think it’s the difference between UTC and EDT; it’s normally a 5 hour difference but it’s a 4 hour difference in the Summer during Daylight Savings Time.

As for the systems, I have now tested the sysVinit and the runit.

As for the repos I used the repo management tool. The final antiX 23 release version has a working feature when you visit the antiX tab and say find the fastest repo. Then go to the Debian tab and do the same.

Then exit.

When you do an apt update immediately after the exit, whatever the current best repos are will be updated, then you can install software from them. Works very well.

I do find that different repos work better at various different times.

--
                                Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Runit in this final antiX 23 is very well done. This runit is an upgrade from the one in antiX 23 Beta3.
                                  It appears to me that all shutdown routines are completed. This final edition of antiX 23 starts and shuts down very quickly.
                                  I am puzzled runit version is in subfolder. It really should be the main antiX now…
                                  I think you will like it.

Both versions are very good. I agree runit is the faster one. Did sysvinit because it may be the last version that has it; remember that s6 and dinit might be future init alternatives; not certain but that was a future possibility that has been mentioned multiple times.

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 191 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.