antiX-23 released.

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-23 released.

• This topic has 190 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated Oct 14-5:02 am by andfree.
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 191 total)
  • Author
    calciumsodium

I found an old 3.69 G mini SD card from an old android phone that is now collecting dust.

I wanted to see if I can install antiX23 x32 runit base on this mini-SD and if it will boot.

I got it to work!

But I had to delete a lot of stuff in order to fit into this SD card.

I deleted all the locale except for the one I use. I deleted all the themese except for Clearview. I deleted a lot of the fonts. I deleted all the slimski themes except for the antiX theme. I deleted all the /usr/doc files. I deleted all the wallpapers and just used a black wallpaper. I deleted many programs.

But it runs very well on this mini-SD card. It boots a little bit slower than a regular hard drive but a lot faster than booting from a DVD.

$ inxi -Fxz
      System:
      Kernel: 5.10.188-antix.1-486-smp arch: i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc v: 13.2.0
      Desktop: IceWM v: 3.4.1 Distro: antiX-23-runit_386 bookworm September 01
      2023 base: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
      Machine:
      Type: Desktop Mobo: N/A model: N/A serial: <superuser required>
      BIOS: American Megatrends v: 080015 date: 05/06/2010
      CPU:
      Info: dual core model: Intel Pentium D bits: 64 type: MCP
      arch: Netburst Presler rev: 4 cache: L1: 32 KiB L2: 4 MiB
      Speed (MHz): avg: 2403 min/max: 2403/3403 cores: 1: 2403 2: 2403
      bogomips: 13600
      Flags: ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 vmx
      Graphics:
      Device-1: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
      arch: Gen-5 bus-ID: 00:02.0
      Display: server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 driver: X: loaded: modesetting
      unloaded: fbdev,vesa dri: crocus gpu: i915 resolution: 1280×1024~60Hz
      API: OpenGL v: 2.1 Mesa 22.3.6 renderer: Mesa Intel G41 (ELK)
      direct-render: Yes
      Audio:
      Device-1: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio
      vendor: Jetway Information driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
      Sound API: ALSA v: k5.10.188-antix.1-486-smp running: yes
      Network:
      Device-1: Realtek RTL8188FTV 802.11b/g/n 1T1R 2.4G WLAN Adapter type: USB
      driver: N/A bus-ID: 1-1:2
      Device-2: Ralink RT2870/RT3070 Wireless Adapter type: USB
      driver: rt2800usb bus-ID: 1-4:4
      IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
      Drives:
      Local Storage: total: 78.2 GiB used: 2.77 GiB (3.5%)
      ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Hitachi model: HDS728080PLAT20 size: 74.51 GiB
      ID-2: /dev/sde type: USB vendor: TEAC model: USB HS-SD Card size: 3.69 GiB
      Partition:
      ID-1: / size: 3.56 GiB used: 2.77 GiB (77.8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sde1
      Swap:
      ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 1.46 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%)
      dev: /dev/sda5
      Sensors:
      System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0 C mobo: 36.0 C
      Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 3125 fan-1: 0 fan-3: 0 fan-4: 0 fan-5: 0
      Power: 12v: N/A 5v: N/A 3.3v: 3.46 vbat: 3.30
      Info:
      Processes: 108 Uptime: 0m Memory: 2.92 GiB used: 423.2 MiB (14.1%)
      Init: runit runlevel: 2 Compilers: gcc: 12.2.0 Packages: 1237 Shell: Bash
      v: 5.2.15 inxi: 3.3.25

Brian Masinick

@calciumsodium
        Very impressive efforts and results!
        Congratulations!

--
        Brian Masinick

christophe

I’m enjoying the base version. I like how there’s a bit more distinction between full & base now.

And I appreciate the new antiX packages available in the repos, to add to core & base (& net).

One thing I noticed, is that the . desktop file for mc & htop are not working. (Terminal=true is used). I normally don’t run them from the menu, so I must have missed them during testing. (Just something for the next upgrade).

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

Brian Masinick

I’m enjoying the base version. I like how there’s a bit more distinction between full & base now.

And I appreciate the new antiX packages available in the repos, to add to core & base (& net).

One thing I noticed, is that the . desktop file for mc & htop are not working. (Terminal=true is used). I normally don’t run them from the menu, so I must have missed them during testing. (Just something for the next upgrade).

Back in the day when I had a very good Ethernet connection – and later, a wireless router where I connected my Ethernet cable and had four wired ports AND wireless service – I used to use antiX Core and antiX Base frequently. I believe that Net and Core require an Ethernet connection, and Base, though I think it works with wireless, that assumes that the wireless drivers you need are available.

I may be able to use it on my newest system (haven’t checked recently), but the one prior to that I had to copy kernels, modules and drivers to even get it to function so I had to rely on other distros to build antiX to a usable state. I’m exceedingly thankful that I can simply install and use it but so far I stuck with the runit and sysVinit full versions; perhaps I can take a look at Base once again and see if I can utilize it once again.

--
            Brian Masinick

marcelocripe

Dear Marcelocripe,

I have also installed antiX 23 full 64 bit SysVinit. I have the sound volume icon and the sound works.

Could it be that your hardware is not compatible?

Dear Wallon.

I did this procedure and the volume icon was displayed again and the sound started working again.

I did another procedure to make the volume icon appear again and the sound works again, I clicked three or four times on the “Exit” menu and on the “Restart Session” button.

I don’t know how to do this, but I imagine that if sound related programs can be started before some other programs it might solve the problem. I don’t know how to tell antiX to start programs x, y, z first and then start a, b, c.

– – – – –

Dear Marcelocripe,

I have also installed antiX 23 full 64 bit SysVinit. I have the sound volume icon and the sound works.

Could it be that your hardware is not compatible?

Caro Wallon.

Eu fiz este procedimento e o ícone do volume voltou a ser exibido e o som voltou a funcionar.

Eu fiz um outro procedimento para fazer o ícone do volume ser exibido novamente e o som voltar a funcionar, eu cliquei três ou quatro vezes no menu “Sair” e no botão “Reiniciar a Sessão”.

Eu não sei como fazer isso, mas eu imagino que se os programas relacionados com o som puderem ser iniciados antes de alguns outros programas, pode ser que resolva o problema. Eu não sei como dizer para o antiX, inicie primeiro os programas x, y, z para depois iniciar a, b, c.

PPC

I did not test antiX-23 much, but the little I’ve tested, it seems to run almost like a dream- it’s as fast as always, (almost) as light on RAM as previous versions (not bad, considering it has a very recent kernel, that includes loads more stuff like extra drivers, etc). And since, like we say here in Portugal, “the eyes also eat”- it looking so good out of the box is an extra. The ease of use, with app-select and it’s plugins, that allow users to basically place icon shortcuts to any app anywhere they way (thanks mostly to Dave and BobC) and IceWM Control Center (mostly done by me, but incorporating some tools by Robin and Bobc) make antiX almost as easy to configure as any may stream OS- you just have to know those tools are there…

Suggestions for the future (ex: version 23.1):
                – Of course, incorporate the fix that allows antiX to install in UEFI systems
                – Launch the apps that Pipewire requires to correctly run under antix from within it’s own configuration, not from it’s startup script. I’m affected by pipewire audio problems and I’ve not tested this solution, but it seems to work universally. I would only suggest to keep the name of the script that is run from the startup file, so the GUI to enable and disable Pipewire from the startup file still works (or simply, alter that part of the GUI script).

That takes care of what can be considered “bugs” that may affect some users (but not others)… Usability suggestions:

– Rework the GUI script that enables/disables Pipewire, so it completly unistalls Pipewire, in order to have pure Alsa sound, like some users prefer.
                – Maybe enabling, out of the box to mount NTFS partitions? That would help adopting from users that want to dual boot antiX and Windows… but also can render them with a broken Windows, perhaps? My opinion? If possible, allow access to NTFS partitions, but display a warning that messing with that partition may endanger the OS contained there (if that’s the case)
                – The first entries on antiX menu are not the app’s names, but their generic names (ex: Terminal, File Manager, Browser, Editor). I think that the same should apply, in English, to app-select’s entry. It should have the description of what it does, ex: Find Applications (and manage their launchers). Some users, despite it being the first icon and it’s icon being the general one used to search for something may still not realize what it does, and even if they do, newbies won’t ever find out that they can use it to place quick launchers basically anywhere they want!
                – Perhaps putting IceWM Control Centre by default in IceWM desktop, so folks don’t complain, like some user did here, that people still have to manually edit config files- no, you do not, if you are using the default antiX icewm-zzzfm desktop, unless you want to do some particularly uncommon change. Edit: this means that you can do most major (and many minor) configurations from a simple to use GUI- you can use it to manage icewm options that are otherwise managed by editing config files like “startup”, “toolbar”, “menu”, the “personal” menu, etc, etc… You can change wallpaper, gtk theme, icewm theme, toolbar size and position, configuration of the toolbar clock, add desktop icons, etc. etc. It’s not pretty, but it’s an effecient and easy to use GUI. No computer know-how needed, just literacy (and that is, often not easily available) – read the options available and click the one that you want.

Reported “problems”, here in the forum:
                – In the forum it was reported that MC and HTOP .desktop files are broken. I’ve not tested that. If, correcting them should be a breeze.– I just checked, and at least in the Full version of antiX23, they launch just fine from app-select…
                – It has been reported that some apps do not install from Package Installer or if installed do not run, like Spotify and Java. Once again, I’ve not tested this yet.
                – It was reported that a few localization files are still missing (I found no obvious localization problems in pt) – but, once again, it should an easy fix.
                – It was reported that the base iso include, in Control Centre, the icon to set time and date, but that GUI is not included in the base iso- so either delete that icon from the Base iso’s Control Centre or make sure to include yad (I think it’s already included) and that tiny script.

With so many suggestions, you would think that there’s something wrong with antiX-23 – except from my sound problems (that are not a trivial thing for newbies)- but no! It’s truly a gem!

Edit: Now that Package Installer has a “Virtualization” Category, “VirtualBox” should be moved there. Also, I’m glad to see “Firefox” once again in the Browser’s list!

P.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by PPC.
                marcelocripe

– It was reported that a few localization files are still missing (I found no obvious localization problems in pt) – but, once again, it should an easy fix.

Please see it Several “.desktop” files to be translated.

Wallon

Dear Marcelocripe,

I don’t know who updates the translations, but the translation is missing;
                    – for AntiX Package Installer: the categories and messages are in English for fr_FR.
                    – for unplug drive, everything is in English for fr_FR and fr_BE.

Kind regards,
                    Wallon

PPC

– for AntiX Package Installer: the categories and messages are in English for fr_FR.
                      – for unplug drive, everything is in English for fr_FR and fr_BE.

Package Installer pt localisation is perfect – I assume that the fr_FR problem is due to missing localization files (by mistake, since you don’t report the same for fr_BE)
                      I just noticed that “unplug drive” is, in fact, not correctly localized in pt (I always eject pendrives from from zzzfm).

P.

Wallon

Dear PPC,

You have understood correctly, antiX Package Installer is well translated for fr_BE.

Kind regards,
                        Wallon

Brian Masinick

Back in the day when I had a very good Ethernet connection – and later, a wireless router where I connected my Ethernet cable and had four wired ports AND wireless service – I used to use antiX Core and antiX Base frequently. I believe that Net and Core require an Ethernet connection, and Base, though I think it works with wireless, that assumes that the wireless drivers you need are available.

I may be able to use it on my newest system (haven’t checked recently), but the one prior to that I had to copy kernels, modules and drivers to even get it to function so I had to rely on other distros to build antiX to a usable state. I’m exceedingly thankful that I can simply install and use it but so far I stuck with the runit and sysVinit full versions; perhaps I can take a look at Base once again and see if I can utilize it once again.

I checked out the Base Version; 1) Won’t work at all without considerable “manual manipulation” on my newest system, because I can only access the 5 series kernel at boot time.
                          Took the Flash Drive to one of my older systems, but found other challenges: I had some difficulties booting, but got in;
                          2) the menu system looked different and lacking options compared to Full, so something once familiar would take extra work to get it working as expected.

Bottom line – though Base was once my favorite version, these days I’d rather just put in the Full and work with it; times have changed for me, the networks available to me are different, and that impacts what I can do with systems that I used to custom configure practically from scratch myself. Yes, it’s still possible but it’s more difficult with my resources and surroundings, so Net, Core, and Base no longer appeal to my personal use cases. They are still tremendous for self building and customizing types and I still recommend them for that purpse; just not me any more. On the other hand, Full, in runit or sysVinit configurations are still very lean, efficient and useful, so I’m not losing out by any means: I STILL have FOUR (at LEAST) different ways to use them – both versions installed (2) and both versions Live with Frugal persist. There are, of course other persitent modes possible; those are the two that make the most sense for my specific needs, and MAN, when I run them Frugal persist with my newest system, they’re even faster than the installed version because they grab the Frugal stuff from the saved image and on my system it’s ALL able to load 100% into memory, which makes it very efficient and FAST; shows a higher memory footprint in the Frugal persist state, but still has multiple GB of free, available memory and therefore that’s a GREAT way to run it!

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by Brian Masinick.

--
                          Brian Masinick

PPC

Another thing I noticed is not 100% in antiX 23 is the “Recent files” menu entry:
                            – recent file name changes caused the 2 scripts used to manage the recent files list to disappear from the menu… That can be fixed either by renaming both scripts or editing the menu file
                            – also a new recent files script, proposed by me and worked on by the community, that allowed the recent file list to be displayed on the second layer of the menu, instead of on the third layer…

P.

Brian Masinick

(Was previously at https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-21-22-to-antix-23/page/2/#post-116469 – this was copied for @PPC, the author, then deleted).

@PPC wrote: On the pipewire sound problem… I solved that running live on my netbook, using a process that I tested several times and I think anyone can reproduce:
                              – start antiX – no volumeicon, audio not working…
                              – wait for about 1 minute after you get to the selected desktop (I count the time the system is running on conky)
                              – antiX Menu > Desktop > Desktops > and select your default desktop to select it again. It will restart. Volume icon will appear in a couple of seconds, audio will work problem free.

The simple problem I detected running live, using pipewire is that if I use pauv to change the volume, the Control Centre’s audio test wont work for some seconds (the window will close instantly). After some seconds, the audio test will run just fine. Weird… (I did not run the audio test from the terminal to see any error message)

Basically this means that I can now run antiX-23 Live, using the modern Kernel, in my old and crappy netbook without a single problem (except that strange behaviour from the audio test). Very nice!

P.

This reply was modified 1 hour, 33 minutes ago by PPC.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by Brian Masinick. Reason: By request from PPC
                              • This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by Brian Masinick.
                              • This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by Brian Masinick. Reason: Make sure it's clear this was written by PPC, not masinick

--
                              Brian Masinick

olsztyn

@PPC The simple problem I detected running live, using pipewire is that if I use pauv to change the volume, the Control Centre’s audio test wont work for some seconds (the window will close instantly). After some seconds, the audio test will run just fine. Weird…

Strange… I am not able to reproduce it running Live on my machines. Also using pavu as mixer. Speaker test just works fine for me. Is this perhaps related to your hardware on that netbook?

On the pipewire sound problem… I solved that running live on my netbook, using a process that I tested several times and I think anyone can reproduce:
                                – start antiX – no volumeicon, audio not working…
                                – wait for about 1 minute after you get to the selected desktop (I count the time the system is running on conky)
                                – antiX Menu > Desktop > Desktops > and select your default desktop to select it again. It will restart. Volume icon will appear in a couple of seconds, audio will work problem free.

This your experience is to be expected. When you restart your desktop, the volumeicon will appear since wireplumber already initialized before.
                                You control all this in desktop session startup specification.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
                                http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Brian Masinick

Those comments were previously written by @PPC in a post that I moved FOR him; I’m changing the notes above to indicate that the conversations were actually written by PPC, NOT me.

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 191 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.