AntiX-23 runit base – antiX-updater

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions AntiX-23 runit base – antiX-updater

• This topic has 21 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Mar 18-7:56 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    rej

Hi-

Is it possible to install the antiX-updater for the runit base installation?

If so, how?

Thank you.

caprea

The updater is part of the package
        yad-goodies-antix
        It will include some other tools like the antiX calender, antiX-cloud

PPC

@rej – some unwanted advice – antiX Base is meant for more advanced users that want a BASIC system and know how to install what they need. The fact that you asked how to install antiX-Updater leads me to think that you are not an advanced user because:
          – advanced users tend to update via the terminal. You can even update via GUI, using Synaptic, but you do have to press several buttons to do what antiX-Updater does with a single click…
          – advanced users do know how to search the forum to find the answers they want. That question was already asked and answered here in the forum

What probably will happen is that you eventually will miss some other applications antix Full includes, and, sooner or later will be asking how to install application x or application y. Unless you have very little disk space available and can’t install antiX Full, I see no reason for not using it. If you don’t like or don’t use LibreOffice or Firefox-esr (included in Full), simply remove them, using Package Manage and install any browser you want, like Seamonkey, included in antiX Base. That will give you the essential apps you have in BASE, and all other GUIs and small apps, that most people use in antiX.

And unlike what some user though- I’m not criticizing anyone’s choice of OS. You are free to install and use whatever you like – this is FOSS, after all, I am just trying to save you and us here in forum some work, in the future.

P.

caprea

Dear PPC, without wanting to step on your toes, rej has been a member here for many years and has already explained several times why he/she installed base and not full.
            In the end it wouldn’t really make a difference whether one asks here in the forum how to install software in the case of base or how to get rid of a certain software on the system in the case of full.

PPC

Dear caprea – no “toes stepped in”. I lost count of the folks I helped here in the forum during the last few years, unless it’s someone I “know well”, like Marcelo, Robin, Mr. Masinick, you, etc, I don’t recall details of what other people said on different threads, so I tend to give generic advice (even when no one asks for it). As a moderator, please feel free to delete that post (and this one) if it’s considered “useless”.

P.

caprea

PPC, of course your contributions are always very welcome, I would never think of deleting or thinking them redundant.
                You have contributed so much useful software and tools here, and then to see that the user does not make life easy for him/herself and of course installs full is perhaps not easy to take.
                We can point it out but in the end it is the user’s decision and one has to accept it imo.

Brian Masinick

As far as the discussion about “Base” versus “Full”, going back 5-6 years ago, Base and Core were usually the versions I used to put most of my older systems together; probably 75-80% of my 32-bit antiX systems over the years were built from either Core or Base; I did usually check out Full when a new version came out, but the ones I kept for years and years were usually a Core or Base version that I’d just update, changing repo versions occasionally. One such Core instance was a Sid backed instance, so I would simply continue updating it.

When I moved to 64-bit hardware, my first 64-bit unit, my Dell Inspiron 5558, could run any of the versions, but I was close to retirement, so I moved more and more to the Full Edition. With my Acer Aspire 5 A515-55 system, I had to build in my own wireless firmware support because at the time I purchased that system, not many distros worked on it at first, including antiX. I found that siduction, open SUSE, MX Linux (but only the AHS Edition), and maybe Fedora, worked with WiFi, so I looked at what they had in common – turned out to be a couple of things – newer kernels which supported the WiFi, and a correct number of WiFi modules for the wireless firmware my system had. By the time I got my HP-14 the WiFi support was there and I was thankful; yes, I could re-engineer it, but the work was time consuming and tedious; meanwhile, most days I just wanted to read Email.

The curious side of me wanted to figure that out; the AGING side of me didn’t want to have to do that repeatedly!
                  Anyway, the main reason I use Core and Base less often is that my OLD computers are the only ones that can get on the ‘Net with old network equipment!
                  I *DID* nevertheless, use a HOWTO that @christophe put together for building and using Core – it was quite similar to a really OLD HOWTO I wrote at least a decade ago about putting my own Core-based system together. I did that once again on the Dell, and did the same with a Base install.

The GOOD part? For those who want to put together PRECISELY and EXACTLY what they want, and nothing else, Core and Base are TERRIFIC for that.
                  The really good aspect of using antiX Full versions after using a Core or Base instance is to realize, see first hand, and appreciate what @PPC, @Robin, and the others, who have added simple, easy to use, lightweight tools in order to deliver a lean, efficient, full-featured implementation coupled with the great development team work, results in an efficient, classy, effective Full version, whether sysVinit, runit, or the init-diversity solutions are used.

So what I say is that we’ve got it, whether you want to assemble the pieces yourself (use Net, Core, or Base) or you want to maximize your own time and still get a really efficient distribution with Full capabilities, we offer the choices that best suit your needs and preferences. If you don’t mind diverting from our NON systemd approach, you can even add mid to heavy weight desktop environments on top of antiX – BUT that’s where I cease to recommend antiX. In that case, you are better off starting out with something like MX Linux, which offers a choice of either Xfce or KDE Plasma in a well engineered system (unfortunately it’s not systemD free!) A non Debian distribution that has long been a hodge podge of software, but that produces a consistently positive overall desktop experience is PCLinuxOS. I mention those for people who distro hop; I still like them, but these days I don’t use them much. Why? Simple” antiX meets all of my every day computing needs. For those who want or need something else, those two are good alternatives; me? This is my primary place; only my curiosity occasionally has me checking out other stuff.

--
                  Brian Masinick

rej

yad-goodies-antix

Hi Caprea-

Thanks!

That application “yad-goodies-antix” is in the mx repo which has no release file on runit-base.

Is there a way to get the release file?

PPC
                      abc-nix

That application “yad-goodies-antix” is in the mx repo which has no release file on runit-base.

Switch your mirror to a working one. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list and replace the mirror with a working one.
                        Example:
                        deb [signed-by=/etc/apt/keyrings/antix-archive-keyring.gpg] http://mirrors.rit.edu/mxlinux/mx-packages/antix/bookworm/ bookworm main nonfree nosystemd

Brian Masinick

Switch your mirror to a working one. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list and replace the mirror with a working one.
                          Example:
                          deb [signed-by=/etc/apt/keyrings/antix-archive-keyring.gpg] http://mirrors.rit.edu/mxlinux/mx-packages/antix/bookworm/ bookworm main nonfree nosystemd

GREAT repo choice! I’ve used that one many times myself. I’ve also used a repo from MIT, one from la.mxrepo and a few others; there are plenty of solid ones out there; if unsure, use the one @abc-nix shows – exactly configured that way; even if you are halfway around the world, if you have a decent network connection it’ll still work well; if you have a REALLY FAST network connection it’ll work GREAT!

If not, look for a similar repo closer to you and set it up in a similar way.

--
                          Brian Masinick

rej

Example:

abc-nix-

Thank you!

This replacement was a quick solution and worked perfectly!

rej

Brian-

Thanks for clarifying abc-nix post and sharing your experience regarding base and core installations!

rej

yad-goodies-antix
                                It will include some other tools like the antiX calender, antiX-cloud

Caprea-

Thank you for your assistance and getting the ball rolling.

You always amaze – I appreciate your expertise, intuitiveness and exact, “to the point” easily understood, concise, replies to everyone, and me, who has difficulty trying to even formulate the question.

rej

some unwanted advice

Hi PPC-

Thank you for the input – been running the base and full install for years, depending on the computer. Any needed adjustments on either, I search for in the antiX posts, various linux forums, or steal files from full install if possible.

Any posts that came up did not mention how to get the release file for MX repo [e.g. https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/apt-update-fails-repo-not-signed/page/2/%5D.

The release files from Full install froze Synaptic when I tried to apply them on antiX base.

I am curious as to the post you are referring to that answered the question. It did not appear in any of the searches. If not too much trouble, could you post the url for it?

I know you guys volunteer precious time to help everyone, and always appreciate the feedback – good, bad, or ugly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.