AntiX-23 runit base – antiX-updater

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions AntiX-23 runit base – antiX-updater

• This topic has 21 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Mar 18-7:56 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

@rej
      Glad to hear that you are doing well with your system and since you are comfortable with Base, it’s a great version.

I have to use Full these days for the newer kernel instead of cobbling it all together on my newer systems but Base is still awesome and I did put a Base successfully together (and also a Core version) on my Dell). Yup, they still work as always.

However, now that I have retired my propensity for tinkering is reduced; these days I tinker only for personal convenience and so I don’t need Core or Base anymore. Still, for those who benefit they’re awesome! All the more so for Net. That’s similar to the old Debian netinst; that’s how I used to build my own Debian implementations, but it’s also when I had fast, direct Ethernet connections. I can’t find it anywhere anymore so I have to have a system that has a wireless network capability from start to finish.

--
      Brian Masinick

rej

Hi Brian –

Having installed BSD and configured it successfully, through the terminal, and realizing beforehand that they are a RTFM group, it was just Google, Youtube, and of course the manual.

You have re-sparked my interest in trying core antiX. Knowing that there is less information to access about it, makes me a little (a lot) hesitant, especially configuring WiFi and usb connectivity.

Although not having the name of the antix-updater file and where it was located (goodies), until caprea gave it to me, long before posting the question, I searched for the answer inside antiX, inside MX and online with “antixforum:”, site:antixforum.com, in Synaptic, with Catfish, and just a general search online, with different phrases or key words that might apply. Also, using runit “full” and comparing files and settings.

In other cases, if it might seem appropriate, search my Debian (always current version) install on an external drive to check the files there, which is set up and configured like antiX, but of course, does not have antiX packages.

Maybe if I had used other key words in the searches, I would have found the answer, and saved taking up your time here.

PPC posted:

“…That question was already asked and answered here in the forum”

Could PPC have meant this url [#136627] that was randomly posted in the thread?:

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/proposal-altered-antix-uptader-to-deal-better-with-running-apt-instances/#post-135456

Proposal: altered antix-Updater to deal better with running apt instances

I could be misunderstanding it, but from what I could tell this is a proposal for a new type of updater where they (and you) are testing it, and giving input, from a couple of weeks ago.

From the internal antiX “search”, there was a post from “wallon” who wanted to know where the updater was on gitlab and you answered and gave them the url. It looks like adding a PPA is necessary, and I was advised in one of my previous posts (by Moddit and PPC) to never, ever install a PPA in antiX. Although I have in the past added gitlab, without issues (that I know of), never have done it since.

With the information that I had, I am wondering where my searches failed – Do you have any idea what post PPC is referring to, that “was already asked and answered here in the forum”?

PPC

this url [#136627] that was randomly posted in the thread?

It was not “randomly posted”- the URL includes the latest (proposed) version of antiX-Updater, by it’s developer (me). It’s not “a new type of updater”. It’s the most recent version of the official antiX-Updater, that I expect to eventually be used in antiX.
          …You wanted that application, I provided it to you, without the need to search for a key, install packages, etc. It’s nice to know that my effort to help you was considered a “random post”… Okay. I keep learning every day. That’s one more reason for me to be less active here.

P.

Brian Masinick

@rej

Regarding antiX Core,
            @christophe wrote a really helpful post about building a really good instance of antiX Core. I’m pretty sure it was after we finished development of antiX 23.

If @christophe is around perhaps we can get a pointer back to the post describing it; otherwise try searching from the main forum page.

--
            Brian Masinick

rej

PPC –

I am truly sorry that I offended you. The post had no dialogue with it, and I was not going to assume that using something that appeared to still be in the testing stage was a good option, thinking that it may have been just for the interest to all participating in the thread.

Your contributions in the forum are very much appreciated and tips you have provided for me in the past are very much appreciated.

I am not an advanced user or power-user like you are, but hopefully learning better skills to find my own answers without taking up time from others here, and to communicate without being offensive.

It was a misunderstanding, and again, I apologize.

rej

Regarding antiX Core

Brian –

Thank you! – I will take a look at “antiX Core Plus Just Enough X – a recipe”.

christophe laid it out very nicely, step by step, where unlike a video, and having to backtrack, I can take my time becoming familiar with it.

So thanks again, this is perfect!

Brian Masinick

Regarding antiX Core

Brian –

Thank you! – I will take a look at “antiX Core Plus Just Enough X – a recipe”.

christophe laid it out very nicely, step by step, where unlike a video, and having to backtrack, I can take my time becoming familiar with it.

So thanks again, this is perfect!

“antiX Core Plus Just Enough X – a recipe”
                  Here is the link once again, for others who may be looking:
                  https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-core-plus-just-enough-x-a-recipe/#post-27581

--
                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.