antiX 32 bit users

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX 32 bit users

Tagged: 

This topic contains 35 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by oops Oct 13-9:54 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Just wondering.

Do you use the 32 bit version and if so, give some details.

eg When running liveusb (usb2) I use 32 bit version (usually base). on Thinkpad L412

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

kernelpanic

32 bit version (antiX 17 full) here, installed on SSD.
    self built desktop PC, AMD triple core (3x2800Mhz), 4 GB of RAM.
    until now I didn`t see any advantage of the 64 bit version over the 32 bit.
    the only difference I recognized is higher RAM usage, no speed advantage regarding the OS
    itself or any software (at least not recogniseable during practical day to day usage).
    as long as 32 bit is available I stay with it.

Anonymous

@ kernelpanic:

You don’t see any difference because of your HW and because of the way how and what for you’re using it for.

With 4 GB of RAM, you don’t need a 64 bit OS, but with more than 4 GB, you don’t have any use for 32 bit.
    Also, you’re not working with your computer anything where the advantage of more RAM would show up.

I guess you’re not trying to run a dozen of VM’s at once (where each single has 4 or more GB of RAM) or an Oracle DB which takes all RAM it can get. 😉

With other words, as long as single application doesn’t eat more than 4 GB, you’re fine.
    With 4 GB total, 2 GB max. per application is all what you get.
    That’s fine for watching YouTube.

I’m running 32 bit when I’m bored. Then I‘m playing with some ‘junkputers’ where 64 bit is unsupported.

Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracle
    dolphin_oracle

I run the 32bit installed on my EEEPC904ha, as its a 32bit only atom processor. Only 2GB of ram on that one. Its usually configured as a music server.

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

2 N270 intel atom touchscreen netbooks

They are 32 bit netbooks. Then the Panasonic CF-48 still runs and has been used to answer questions.
    The BM T23 sits in the laptop bag but is broke out for testing and finding glitches with xorg or video drivers.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

DaveW

I run Antix 17, installed to SSD on two computers.
    – Asus eeepc 900a, 1GB memory, 16 GB SSD (processor will not run 64 bit OS).
    – Dell D620 (probably would run 64 bit OS, but I keep a common liveUSB as backup for both.)

Usage is word processing, presentations (LibreOffice Impress), internet browser, email, VPN when traveling. No gaming or high memory usage programs. Some programs are run under PlayOnLinux… eg., the Word (Bible study), Softmaker Office (for better readability of some document formats that LibreOffice doesn’t do well, such as Softmaker Presentations).

I really appreciate the performance and features of Antix and also the readily available assistance from forum community.

christophe
    christophe

I have 32-bit antiX installed from base version on dell mini-9 & mini-10 netbooks (2009-vintage). Single-core, 1 gb mem each. Use zram. Firefox works fairly well, even with videos. Windows xp in virtualbox (for windows games from 1990’s), pcsxr, dosbox, a few other lighter games. (4.9 kernel works best.) Abiword, qpdfview (because it saves my place on longer books, where evince doesn’t). Also a (base version) live usb for “traveling” purposes to have all my programs available if needed when away.

seaken64

I run antiX exclusively in 32-bit. I have tried out the 64-bit but I don’t use it since all my antiX machines only support 32-bit. I also keep a 32-bit VM on my main laptop for research and testing.

My main P-III in my lab is 32-bit antiX. 512M RAM.
    My backup laptop was running 32-bit antiX up until last week. Having some issue with the screen or power. Currently out of service. Celeron M, 480M RAM.
    We run an old P-4 Dell laptop in the store for music, running antiX 32-bit from a LiveUSB. 1GB RAM.
    I have a couple experimental P-III laptops on antiX 32-bit. One a Dell, Mobile Pentium 450, 256M RAM. One an IBM Thinkpad, Mobile Pentium 366, 288M RAM.
    One VM running in 512M on Core i7 Laptop.
    I also dual boot most MX systems with antiX 32-bit. I have about three Core2Duo laptops running MX with antiX 32-bit as the second OS on a separate partition. Although I don’t use the antiX installs on those machines much anymore since I started working with LiveUSB persistence. Now when I want to experiment with antiX I use the LiveUSB in 32-bit.

Seaken64

kernelpanic

@ noClue:

You don’t see any difference because of your HW and because of the way how and what for you’re using it for.
    With 4 GB of RAM, you don’t need a 64 bit OS, but with more than 4 GB, you don’t have any use for 32 bit.

Everybody who considers to install an OS knows this 😉

Also, you’re not working with your computer anything where the advantage of more RAM would show up.
    I guess you’re not trying to run a dozen of VM’s at once (where each single has 4 or more GB of RAM) or an Oracle DB which takes all RAM it can get.

correct. and I never will.
    but I am surprised how you could know what I am using my computer for 😉

With 4 GB total, 2 GB max. per application is all what you get.
    That’s fine for watching YouTube.

This is not correct.
    32-bit processes can allocate up to 1, 2, 3, or about 4GB, depending on which memory split was chosen when the 32-bit kernel was built.
    Believe me, with “only” 4 GB you can do a lot more than watching YouTube.

So what exactly are you trying to tell me?
    The question anti was asking in this thread was not about competing who has the biggest amount of RAM and spams the most software into it.
    The question was if people still use 32bit and why.

And as you can see, there still are a lot people out there who do so, and they know why they are doing it.

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

I’ll just mention. Anti has always been nice enough to supply a pae kernel when asked nicely.
    Since I also run a very old AntiX Jessie 32 bit install on my IBM T430 with gobs of ram.

Grinning this morning at the banter .

Anonymous

32-bit processes can allocate up to 1, 2, 3, or about 4GB, depending on which memory split was chosen when the 32-bit kernel was built.

Well, you can, but you can’t. 😉

PAE Kernel can do it though, but there’s one ‘but’, as explained here.

But why not give the system its own private address space, just like for processes? This would allow the full 4 GB address space be available for the system and each processes. That could have been done – but …

https://superuser.com/questions/1163749/why-do-32-bit-processes-have-a-2-gb-ram-limit

(Nr. 6)

You could … 20 years ago, it’s just not making any sense nowadays.

seaken64

What’s not making any sense? That many people are satisfied with the computers they already have and feel no need to upgrade to a more powerful 64-bit OS and 64-bit software capabilities? I run a small business with about 10 PC systems on a LAN and connected to broadband internet through a NAT router and a few wifi access points. I have ONE 64-bit system in that mix. All the rest are running 32-bit W10 and have 3GB of RAM. The two front counter computers are on all day with a Database Manager, PDF reader, Spreadsheet, Word Processor, Remote Desktop Connection to the Accounting program in the back office, and Chrome with several tabs open for e-mail, vendor orders, etc. This is all working I do not feel compelled to throw it all away because the computer industry says I am running old stuff.

People will have to abandon perfectly good equipment because MS says they will no longer provide support. Will Linux take the same path? 64-bit only here. Move on. No 32-bit.

I suppose it is inevitable. Time marches on. But for me 32-bit is enough for now. I won’t trade up until I have no other choice. And it’s expensive to change 10 computer systems. Too much for a small business. And if a business has hundreds or thousands it is a huge challenge. There are still a lot of business folks supporting old equipment. The first-adopters and gamers think we’re nuts. MS and Apple have abandoned us. Is that what does not make sense?

Seaken64

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Reaching 20 years for reference. Good test box for panasonic posts on this forum. Older readout from the net.

harry@bikertest3:~$ sux
    Password: 
    root@bikertest3:/home/harry# inxi -zv7
    System:    Host: bikertest3 Kernel: 3.3.3-antix.1-486-smp i686 (32 bit gcc: 4.6.3)
               Desktop: IceWM 1.3.7 dm: slim
               Distro: antiX-M11- Jayaben Desai 12 April 2011
    Machine:   System: Matsushita product: CF-48V4HLUQM v: 004
               Mobo: Matsushita model: CF48-4 v: 001
               Bios: Phoenix K.K. v: V4.00L13 date: 12/12/2002
    CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium 4 Mobile (-UP-) cache: 512 KB
               flags: (pae sse sse2) bmips: 3190 clocked at 1600 MHz
    Memory:    Array-1 capacity: 1.25 GB (est) devices: 1 EC: None
               max module size: 512 MB
               Device-1: Onboard size: 256 MB (Double-bank) speed: N/A
               type: SDRAM (Synchronous) bus width: 64 bits
               manufacturer: N/A part: N/A serial: N/A
               Device-2: DIMM size: 1 GB (Double-bank) speed: N/A
               type: SDRAM (Synchronous) bus width: 64 bits
               Device-3: Flash ROM size: 512 kB speed: N/A
               type: Flash (Non-Volatile) bus width: 8 bits
    Graphics:  Card: ATI Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]
               bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:4c57
               Display Server: X.org 1.11.1 driver: radeon
               tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
    Audio:     Card Intel 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller
               driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: 1c00 1880 bus-ID: 00:1f.5 chip-ID: 8086:2485
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: 1.0.24
    Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
               driver: 8139too v: 0.9.28 port: 4400
               bus-ID: 02:02.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8139
               IF: eth1 state: down mac: <filter>
               Card-2: Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG [Calexico2] Network Connection
               driver: ipw2200 v: 1.2.2kmprq bus-ID: 02:03.0 chip-ID: 8086:4223
               IF: eth0 state: up mac: <filter>
               WAN IP: <filter> IF: eth0 ip: <filter> ip-v6: <filter>
               IF: eth1 ip: N/A ip-v6: N/A
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 100.0GB (23.0% used)
               ID-1: /dev/sda model: FUJITSU_MHU2100A size: 100.0GB serial: NQ07T572F3DK temp: 32C
               Optical: /dev/sr0 model: MATSHITA UJDA340
               rev: 1.50 dev-links: cdrom2,cdrw2,scd0
               Features: speed: 24x multisession: yes
               audio: yes dvd: no rw: cd-r,cd-rw state: running
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 29G used: 4.2G (16%) fs: ext3 dev: /dev/sda3
               label: N/A uuid: 3fe7d362-f455-43a0-9eb6-d60231f24be2
               ID-2: /mnt/hda1 size: 15G used: 9.2G (62%) fs: fuseblk dev: /dev/sda1
               label: N/A uuid: 1A20A02E20A01335
               ID-3: /mnt/hda6 size: 7.9G used: 3.3G (45%) fs: ext3 dev: /dev/sda6
               label: / uuid: 93317189-8b9c-440a-9224-0799fa567f9b
               ID-4: /mnt/hda7 size: 41G used: 3.5G (9%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/sda7
               label: /Data1 uuid: 4B5F-B945
               ID-5: swap-1 size: 1.55GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
               label: N/A uuid: 38d34375-a4c6-4fda-bcc7-736eeb487061
    RAID:      No RAID data: /proc/mdstat missing-is md_mod kernel module loaded?
    Unmounted: No unmounted partitions detected
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 56.8C mobo: N/A
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
    Info:      Processes: 97 Uptime: 8 min Memory: 114.7/1262.7MB
               Init: SysVinit v: 2.88 runlevel: 5 default: 5
               Gcc sys: 4.6.1 alt: 4.4/4.5
               Client: Shell (bash 4.1.51 running in roxterm) inxi: 2.2.3 

Still making sense. Run what ya brung. I don’t judge. That laptop has a floppy drive in it, even.

greyowl

I use 32 bit antiX 17 on my two laptops that do not support 64 bit.
    The Dell Latitude D600, 1.5 GB RAM, antiX 17 Base version, is used for music with my stereo ie Poor Man’s Radio, MPS-UTube, StreamTuner.
    The Dell Latitude D610, 2 GB RAM, antiX 17 Full version, is my main computer and used for internet, word processing, printing, scanning, file storage, and video.
    AntiX is installed directly on the Hard Drives on both.
    AntiX work great on both laptops.
    I am truly happy that you continue to provide 32 bit so that I can still use these old laptops that fulfill my needs just fine.

Dell Latitude D610 laptop (1.86 GHz, 2G RAM, 32 bit) - antiX 17

kauaianguy

Half of the 25 laptops that I own and test are 32bit.
    Some can run Linus Distro “Cloud Ready” or “Linux Mint” but no all.
    Recently found antiX 32bit and it runs perfectly on the 3 tested on laptops that over 10 years old. Two Dell D630 and an HP Pavilion DV6000.
    So far I’m loving antiX.
    The wireless is a little buggy and has to be manually started each time after startup or am I missing something?
    Thanks antiX keep up the good work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.