antiX 32 bit users

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX 32 bit users

Tagged: 

• This topic has 35 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated Oct 13-9:54 am by oops.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

noClue – please don’t derail the thread.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

fatmacfatmac

I put AntiX full onto my (72 yo) sisters old XP computer, it’s a 32bit system, (P4 I think), came with 512MB ram, which I upgraded to 2GB.

She doesn’t want to buy another new computer, & it took me a long time to persuade her to use Linux, but she’s getting used to it now; after 6 months! 🙂

Would appreciate having a 32 bit version be kept available, even if it is only the full version.

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

Forum Admin

Here there is a variety of desktop, laptop, and netbook hardware, spanning approx 5 years old to approx 20 years old. They come from many different manufacturers ranging from tier 1 to unbranded.

Kit supporting:
    • USB v 1 is usually run in conventional hard disk mode and exclusively 32Bit,
    • USB v 2 & USB v 3 is used in both hard disk and live modes, and mix 32Bit & 64Bit.

Systems are often cleared down and rebuilt for testing purposes, both CLI and GUI.

Providing the apps are carefully selected and purposed according to the capability of the hardware, and the OS is suitably fine tuned, acceptable performance is usually obtained.

linuxdaddylinuxdaddy

My d610 is a 32-bit only laptop see the shots posted in other posts for
    the inxi and specs but it is only used for certain things and hw/sw config
    is set in stone.
    But my out-take is less than 3gb ram use 32-bit 4gb or more use 64-bit os
    for mine unless for experiment/curiosity.

"learn and use what you like and enjoy what works for your pcs."

Anti wrote for eg and give details so ok.

my 32-bit d610 and compaq laptops from the inxi and psmem posts are the ones I create the wallpapers
    on and sometimes forum post from and my 64-bit are for checking out new software or rendering
    complex fractal/video animations on.
    ie. my 32-bit are stretch with set software/use and my 64-bit test with buster/sid with new software.

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

I was using MX for awhile but decided to install antiX instead as it seems more suitable for lower-spec hardware like this:

$ inxi -Fxrz
    System:
      Host: averatec Kernel: 4.9.160-antix.2-486-smp i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc v: 6.3.0 
      Desktop: IceWM 1.4.2 Distro: antiX-17.4.1_386-full Helen Keller 28 March 2019 
      base: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 
    Machine:
      Type: Other-vm? System: AVERATEC product: N1130 v: N/A serial: <filter> 
      Mobo: AVERATEC model: N1130 serial: <filter> BIOS: Phoenix 
      v: NAPA0001.86C.0056.D.0907311757 date: 07/31/09 
    Battery:
      ID-1: BAT0 charge: 0 Wh condition: 65.3/65.3 Wh (100%) model: AVERATEC N1130 
    CPU:
      Topology: Single Core model: Intel Atom N270 bits: 32 type: MT arch: Bonnell rev: 2 
      L2 cache: 512 KiB 
      flags: nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 bogomips: 6384 
      Speed: 1600 MHz min/max: 800/1600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1600 2: 1600 
    Graphics:
      Device-1: Intel Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
      bus ID: 00:02.0 
      Display: server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: intel unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa 
      resolution: 1024x600~60Hz 
      OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GME x86/MMX/SSE2 v: 2.1 Mesa 13.0.6 
      direct render: Yes 
    Audio:
      Device-1: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel 
      v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
      Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.9.160-antix.2-486-smp 
    Network:
      Device-1: Ralink RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe driver: rt2800pci v: 2.3.0 
      port: 18e0 bus ID: 02:00.0 
      IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter> 
      Device-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169 
      v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 2000 bus ID: 04:00.0 
      IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter> 
    Drives:
      Local Storage: total: 111.79 GiB used: 2.92 GiB (2.6%) 
      ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Gigabyte model: GP-GSTFS31120GNTD size: 111.79 GiB 
    Partition:
      ID-1: / size: 107.04 GiB used: 2.88 GiB (2.7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0 
      ID-2: /boot size: 486.8 MiB used: 40.5 MiB (8.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1 
      ID-3: swap-1 size: 2.00 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-1 
    Sensors:
      System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0 C mobo: 26.8 C 
      Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
    Repos:
      Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list 
      1: deb https://mirror.pregi.net/mx-linux-packages/antix/stretch stretch main nosystemd nonfree
      Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list 
      1: deb http://ftp.hk.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main contrib non-free
      Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list 
      1: deb http://ftp.hk.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
      2: deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
      No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/onion.list 
      No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/various.list 
    Info:
      Processes: 150 Uptime: 11m Memory: 1.96 GiB used: 312.6 MiB (15.6%) Init: SysVinit 
      runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 6.3.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.12 inxi: 3.0.29

It’s the antiX full version, installed on a 120GB SSD. antiX is made for old, low-end, budget machines like this. I hope it never goes the 64-bit-only route like most other distros. If someone has a 64-bit machine they may as well slap 8 or 16GB of RAM in it and run a distro with a regular DE, unless perhaps they only have an old single-core CPU in it. Continuing support for 32-bit systems makes antix (and MX) remind me of Linux as it was a decade or so ago when one of its “selling points”, as it were, was that Linux could extend the useful lifespan of old computers that were too slow to be able to run newer versions of Windows and would otherwise either be discarded or put away on a shelf and forgotten.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by JayM.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by JayM.

I use AntiX 16.2 Berta Cáceres on a HP laptop, i686 with 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD.
    Programs mostly used: Chromium, LibreOffice Write, LibreOffice Calc, Evince PDF reader, Upwork Desktop Timetracker, GPicView and SMPlayer.
    The laptop is used for work almost every weekday. Most kind of translation work can be done, except with some online CAT-tools that demand more RAM.

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

Went back through this thread to double check I am not repeating myself. So since I did not mention it in this thread.

I own 2 single core atom passive touchscreen netbooks that 32bit AntiX works out of the box on. I can’t be the only on this planet
    still using a older atom netbook. They made zillions of em. Old thread of mine. Shucks. Just noticed now. So no idea why yet.

This site can’t be reached antixlinux.com’s server IP address could not be found.
    DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

url: https://antixlinux.com/archive

Edit: just double checking

Antixlinux.com Status
    Is antixlinux.com down right now?
    It’s not just you! antixlinux.com is down.

url I use: https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Went back through this thread to double check I am not repeating myself. So since I did not mention it in this thread.

I own 2 single core atom passive touchscreen netbooks that 32bit AntiX works out of the box on. I can’t be the only on this planet
    still using a older atom netbook. They made zillions of em. Old thread of mine. Shucks. Just noticed now. So no idea why yet.

I forgot to mention in my post that mine’s an Averatec N1130 “NetBuddy” netbook, 32-bit single-core Atom 1.6GHz processor, 2GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB SSD that I just put in it a few weeks ago to try to make it faster. It’s really a piece of junk. The shift keys, plus maybe others, don’t work; the touchpad toesn’t work; it won’t go past the BIOS splash screen unless I hit enter; the CMOS battery if there even is one is dead so if the AC power supply’s ever disconnected I have to reset the date and time in the BIOS; the system batteries won’t take a charge; and as Averatec no longer makes netbooks, only those all-in-one computers, parts aren’t available. But it does run and wifi works, so it’s a spare PC just in case something happens to my desktop machine. Plus it’s fun to use just to play with antiX and get used to that distro. I confess, when I first tried antiX I didn’t care that much for it at first, coming from MX with all of its GUI goodies for everything, but the more I get used to it the more I appreciate it. I still don’t care for the fact that many of the configuration menu items pop up text files to be edited because I have no idea what to change, but since it works OK on this machine OOTB there’s really no need to tweak anything anyway.

Out of my various laptops from PIII to i7 I am using 32 bit version of AntiX on an ancient (18 years old) T23 with 768M memory in Frugal mode and on T60 CoreDuo 1.5G.
    From my observation various other 32bit laptops are still around and often in need of a good OS such as AntiX so considering other distros are dropping 32bit it is an opportunity for AntiX to fill the gap…

masinickmasinick

I use 32 bit antiX 17 on my two laptops that do not support 64 bit.
    The Dell Latitude D600, 1.5 GB RAM, antiX 17 Base version, is used for music with my stereo ie Poor Man’s Radio, MPS-UTube, StreamTuner.
    The Dell Latitude D610, 2 GB RAM, antiX 17 Full version, is my main computer and used for internet, word processing, printing, scanning, file storage, and video.
    AntiX is installed directly on the Hard Drives on both.
    AntiX work great on both laptops.
    I am truly happy that you continue to provide 32 bit so that I can still use these old laptops that fulfill my needs just fine.

I don’t have these boxes any more, but the Dell D600, D610, and D620 (and presumably the D630 as well) all run antiX well. When I gave them away, antiX and Puppy were among the few distributions that worked well.

I also had a 17″ Gateway 2000 and it worked beautifully with antiX, as did a 15″ Lenovo 3000 model Y410 laptop.

Most 32-bit Dell, Gateway, Levovo, IBM, and HP desktop and laptop systems worked well with antiX. I cannot ever recall an old system from any prominent vendor that didn’t work very well for me with antiX.

So if anyone is looking for old computer systems and want to use them with antiX, these are several that I can remember over the past 15+ years.

Brian Masinick

RichardRichard

antiX-19b2-386 has replaced MX on my EeePC-1005-HA, because it is more efficient on this under-powered but useful little box.

It has been, & is still capable of daily use. On the road it is about 1.5 kg with it’s block; much less weight to carry than the T430 with MX. Useful within it’s limitations.

T430=MX183
    EeePC-1005HA=antiX19b3

I was using antiX 17-64 on my mac mini and along with some tweaks that where suggested by others on this forum (many thanks) it was work well, but after reviewing the posts here and in other parts of the forum I decided to installed antiX 17-32 and using the same tweaks the mini is responding much quicker and is using less resources. Many thanks for keeping both version a live and well.

I had to give up on my Pentium II with 256 mb. It is just too slow and tight on memory to run Firefox. I only have DVD drive and one video card that works for both Pentium machines combined, so its not possible to keep both able to run antiX 19. The old nVidia cards are no longer supported by xorg-1.20, and so I have been leaving the ATI Radeon card I bought recently in the Pentium III. I’m thinking of just setting up the Pentium II for dedicated Win/98 game playing and sharing the screen, keyboard and mouse between them.

The Dual Pentium III 750 has 2 gb and Fast UW-SCSI. I pretty much only use it for testing 32 bit programs. It was a very fast machine when I built it in 1998, but today it is a challenge to get things running efficiently on it. Firefox eats up the CPU’s badly, but I have made that my standard for all my PC’s so I can share bookmarks and such. I was going to test the newest antiX19b3 code on it today. It doesn’t get much day to day use anymore but is still loved.

AntiX 32 is the default os on my MSI Wind U100 netbook.
    antiX-17.3.1_386-base Helen Keller 27 December 2018
    Kernel: 4.9.189-antix.1-486-smp i686 bits: 32
    Single Core model: Intel Atom N270 bits: 32 type: MT
    2GB memory

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Vincent17.

I had to give up on my Pentium II with 256 mb. It is just too slow and tight on memory to run Firefox. I only have DVD drive and one video card that works for both Pentium machines combined, so its not possible to keep both able to run antiX 19. The old nVidia cards are no longer supported by xorg-1.20, and so I have been leaving the ATI Radeon card I bought recently in the Pentium III. I’m thinking of just setting up the Pentium II for dedicated Win/98 game playing and sharing the screen, keyboard and mouse between them.

The Dual Pentium III 750 has 2 gb and Fast UW-SCSI. I pretty much only use it for testing 32 bit programs. It was a very fast machine when I built it in 1998, but today it is a challenge to get things running efficiently on it. Firefox eats up the CPU’s badly, but I have made that my standard for all my PC’s so I can share bookmarks and such. I was going to test the newest antiX19b3 code on it today. It doesn’t get much day to day use anymore but is still loved.

You might try Palemoon instead of Firefox. With my old laptops, PM uses about 40% less memory. FF uses 691mb vs PM at 416mb. PM also has the sync feature.

Dell Latitude D610 laptop (1.86 GHz, 2G RAM, 32 bit) - antiX 17

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.