Can't install Mint Linux on AntiX installed emmc drive

Forum Forums General Hardware Can't install Mint Linux on AntiX installed emmc drive

This topic contains 53 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Klaas Vaak Jul 1-7:04 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Xecure
    Xecure

For now, my immediate problem is the AntiX “baked-in” issue and how to solve that.

As rokytnji says, antiX has not “baked” your drive. As I see it, this is what happened:
    0. Your device is a Lenovo YOGA 300-11IBY
    1. You are having problems with the scroll side of your trackpad (but using the rest of the trackpad is ok, except if the finger touches too close to the scroll side of said trackpad). You have had the same behavior with both Firefox and Opera (not known if with other programs but probably yes). I have tried to find information on this but have failed, so I cannot help with this (sorry). For now, as this behavior is really annoying, you are looking for a different distro that doesn’t have this problem.
    2. You have tested various distros and can’t seem to be able to detect the eMMC drive to replace antiX with said new distro. You blame antiX for “baking” the drive, but I don’t believe it is antiX’s fault, and more a fault of the distro, that cant (for the love of it) detect the drive.
    2.A You want to get rid of antiX from your eMMC drive. This is very easy (use a liveUSB of antiX or MX Linux and format drive with Gparted). This will prove that antiX is NOT holding your drive hostage.
    2.B You want to replace your antiX installation with something else, but this new distro cannot find the drive (no matter if it has antiX or if you have completely wiped it out). I haven’t tested this last case as I don’t want to format my drive just yet. Maybe some other time.
    2.C WHAT I HAVE TESTED: On both Linux Mint 19.1 64 bits Xfce and MATE flavors, I cannot boot to normal live environment. In both compatibility environments, the eMMC drive is NOT detected (tried all three commands recommended by rokytnji and NONE of them detected any other drive than the liveUSB (have no screenshots to prove this, sorry). So what you displayed was the terminal output in antiX and not in the live Linux Mint environment (I may be mistaken, and what you have pasted was from the LM liveUSB. Sorry if I jumped to conclusions to soon).
    3. You haven’t tested MX Linux in a live environment to see if you have the same scroll-trackpad behavior, believing that MX is based on antiX, so the results should be the same. Try it out, just in case Xfce handles the touchpad differently. And you lose nothing (no need to install, just try on live environment).
    4. Other option: I have tried PeppermintOS and I was able to enter the Live environment in the third try. Now I remember the troubles I had with XJUbuntu, as I could not always boot in to the live environment on this device. Finally, Gparted could detect the eMMC drive (screenshot 2). With this, I know I would be able to install PeppermintOS in this eMMC device. I am not knowledgeable enough to understand what is the reason I couldn’t boot the first few times, but I got a horrible quality photo of the non-booting screen (hitting F1 to see what was going on).

So, this is all I can offer. I hope you can find a solution for your problems in your linux journey.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Xecure.
    Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracle
    dolphin_oracle

Like. I would not delete

Device     Boot Start    End Sectors  Size Id Type
    /dev/sda1  *       32 255999  255968  125M  6 FAT16

partition just for starters. Installer has a option to install grub to that partition to boot the new install of MX. As I found out when I deleted mine and tried the install grub to mbr on sda instead.

I feel like changing this topic title this morning also. This baked in crap needs a professional dish washer.

/dev/sda1 is the ESP on the live-USB I think.

blkid
    /dev/mmcblk0p1: UUID=”64A5-7D5C” TYPE=”vfat” PARTLABEL=”ESP” PARTUUID=”4373a9ca-1cf9-4b1b-8c05-494338bb4f68″
    /dev/mmcblk0p2: LABEL=”rootantiX17.1″ UUID=”c3a4d07b-cdcf-4a2a-bebf-8d735153e464″ TYPE=”ext4″ PARTLABEL=”primary” PARTUUID=”f2c17e23-253a-407e-809a-915704b637b9″
    /dev/mmcblk0p3: LABEL=”antiXswap” UUID=”4bfdd799-2339-409a-ade2-f6a6af5c0d72″ TYPE=”swap” PARTLABEL=”primary” PARTUUID=”621588f1-81b2-44e9-851d-29d53ef15333″

are the eMMC blk devices. the fact is, many distributions have problems with these devices.

one of the big problems with these devices is that partition table updates don’t necessarily automatically update the blkid caches. We work around this in the antiX/mx installer but I can’t say everyone does.

I would manually repartition the disk from the live-USB, then reboot, then try the mint installer.

after that I would talk to the mint people about their installer. Because there is no “baking” in of the antiX/MX file system. Its a straight-up cp operation to put the filesystem on the devices, same as any other hard drive device.

Its also possible that the devices are failing. They are relatively cheap storage after all. But I would try the partition thing first.

Klaas Vaak

retry
    sudo parted -l

Here is is:

sudo] password for Marie-Claire: 
    Model: USB NAND FLASH DISK (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdb: 131MB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos
    Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size   Type     File system  Flags
     1      16.4kB  131MB  131MB  primary  fat16        boot

Model: MMC BGND3R (sd/mmc)
    Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 31.3GB
    Partition Table: gpt
    Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system     Name     Flags
     1      17.4kB  268MB   268MB   fat32           ESP      boot, esp
     2      268MB   8858MB  8590MB  ext4            primary
     3      8858MB  11.0GB  2147MB  linux-swap(v1)  primary

Error: /dev/mmcblk0boot0: unrecognised disk label
    Model: Generic SD/MMC Storage Card (sd/mmc)                               
    Disk /dev/mmcblk0boot0: 4194kB
    Partition Table: unknown
    Disk Flags: 

Error: /dev/mmcblk0boot1: unrecognised disk label
    Model: Generic SD/MMC Storage Card (sd/mmc)                               
    Disk /dev/mmcblk0boot1: 4194kB
    Partition Table: unknown
    Disk Flags:
    Klaas Vaak

Like. I would not delete

Device     Boot Start    End Sectors  Size Id Type
    /dev/sda1  *       32 255999  255968  125M  6 FAT16

partition just for starters. Installer has a option to install grub to that partition to boot the new install of MX. As I found out when I deleted mine and tried the install grub to mbr on sda instead.

I feel like changing this topic title this morning also. This baked in crap needs a professional dish washer.

Fine, so what’s next?

Anonymous

As always:

You visit https://gparted.org/download.php and get GParted.

You make the boot CD/USB and delete everything.

Then you reinitialize the hard drive.

Create new partitions …

P.S.
    How small is your emmc? 16, 32 or 64 GB?

Klaas Vaak

As always:
    P.S.
    How small is your emmc? 16, 32 or 64 GB?

32 GB

Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracle
    dolphin_oracle

the output from parted is throwing out some errors. could be a factor. I’ll have to check my machines at home and see what their output looks like.

Xecure
    Xecure

This thread is moving but I think it is moving in an unknown direction.

Klaas Vaak, what is the problem you are experiencing? what do you want to achieve? I think we are asking you for stuff that is not related to your problem and we may have gone off course.
    A) Is your antiX installation “baked”? What do you mean by “baked”? Does it not work? Are the drives not detected in your antiX installation?
    B) Do you want to completely “delete” antiX or format the eMMC drive entirely? noClue and I have proposed solutions to format the drive. If you have tried them and they didn’t work, what happened? Are the terminal dumps you have shared with us what you get on antiX installed system? Are they from a live environment?
    C) Do you want to install a different distro? Things may be as dolphin_oracle says, it is possible these distros are having trouble with the eMMC drives, Are the tests we are asking you to do (terminal dumps) done on the desired live systems you want to install? Which then? If not, I don’t think we are moving in the right direction.

I have shared with you my tests. Have you tested a liveUSB of MX Linux to see if you are having the exact same problem (scrolling problem) you have already shared? Are you still pursuing installing Linux Mint? Have you already formated the eMMC drive to delete antiX?
    I feel we need more information to help you.

Klaas Vaak

the output from parted is throwing out some errors. could be a factor. I’ll have to check my machines at home and see what their output looks like.

OK, that sounds interesting. I look forward to hearing what your machines put out.

Klaas Vaak

This thread is moving but I think it is moving in an unknown direction.

Klaas Vaak, what is the problem you are experiencing? what do you want to achieve? I think we are asking you for stuff that is not related to your problem and we may have gone off course.

Your previous extensive reply was very good description of the situation. I’ll reply to each of your questions below.

A) Is your antiX installation “baked”? What do you mean by “baked”? Does it not work? Are the drives not detected in your antiX installation?

AntiX is working very well, it detects everything it needs to, in principle I am happy with it. There is only the annoying web browser scrolling issue I can’t get resolved so rather than keep messing about I want to replace it with another distro. The reason I used “baked” is because it seemed to me that AntiX would be unremovable and was blocking my attempts to do so.

B) Do you want to completely “delete” antiX or format the eMMC drive entirely? noClue and I have proposed solutions to format the drive. If you have tried them and they didn’t work, what happened? Are the terminal dumps you have shared with us what you get on antiX installed system? Are they from a live environment?

I have not tried them yet for 2 reasons:
    1. I have to decide which distro for replacement. Some other people, incl. Dolphin_Oracle, have reported that Mint cannot detect the eMMC, but I have also read someone stating it works perfectly on his eMMC. Could still be worth a try, not sure.
    2. I am not actually the user of the computer, my wife is, so I have to find a conveniently big enough time slot to check, test, wipe, and install.

C) Do you want to install a different distro? Things may be as dolphin_oracle says, it is possible these distros are having trouble with the eMMC drives, Are the tests we are asking you to do (terminal dumps) done on the desired live systems you want to install? Which then?

I understood that the terminal dumps were asked for my currently installed OS, i.e. AntiX, and that is what I have provided so far, as must be clear from the data.
    I don’t understand how they could be done for systems not yet installed.

If not, I don’t think we are moving in the right direction.

Not necessarily, it might be just a misunderstanding.

I have shared with you my tests. Have you tested a liveUSB of MX Linux to see if you are having the exact same problem (scrolling problem) you have already shared?

Your suggestion to try it from a live environment is not practical in that the scrolling issue is not consistent in time. On the other hand, I could also take the plunge and install it, you believe it won’t have the scrolling problem. I did like MX a lot when I tried it in the VM with the Windows host. But then again, a VM is not the real thing. I tried AntiX in the VM and don’t recall encountering the scrolling issue.

Are you still pursuing installing Linux Mint?

It is a possibility, but I have not decided yet.
    There is also Peppermint, which you mentioned, and in fact someone else who had a problem with Mint’s eMMC detection ended up installing Peppermint, being very happy, and recommending that as the go-to OS for an eMMC drive. I downloaded it (checked the MD5 sum) and have it on a USB.

Have you already formated the eMMC drive to delete antiX?

No, not yet, I need a convenient time slot.

I feel we need more information to help you.

The best thing is for me to decide 1st what I want to do. I have decided that I will replace AntiX, but am not sure with what.
    And I have to decide whether to manually wipe the drive clean with GParted on a live USB stick, or to let the distro installation do it thus saving 1 intermediate step.

I want to thank you and the others for your involvement, commitment and help so far. This is a new situation for me in that it concerns a wonky installation of AntiX, and an eMMC drive that may or may not be quirky. So far I have installed Linux as a dual boot on 1 computer, replaced Windows on 2 computers: 1 with the eMMC drive, the other with an SSD and HDD. All those operations went well, but this situation makes me nervous. Nevertheless, I will have to bite the bullet, which is why I want to allow myself sufficient time to get it done and not rush. I will follow this up in the near future.

Xecure
    Xecure

Lots of answered questions

Thank you for answering the questions so extensively. I cannot help you with finding a new distro that doesn’t have the touchpad scrolling issue, as my laptop doesn’t suffer from it. Possibly some of the experts here can help you out with the eMMC thing. I have spent some time investigating how to change the scrolling settings on my laptop and have written a more detailed answer in your original touchpad sensibility post. If you or someone else ever experiences this, maybe my results can shine some light on their problem.

Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracle
    dolphin_oracle

well, my eMMC device machine shows the same errors on “parted -l” so maybe a red herring.

also, I have no problems installing other OS on that same machine.

Klaas Vaak

@Xecure: thanks for your suggestions with the touchpad issue. Like I said there, I will pursue that route a bit more in the hope of being able to keep AntiX.

Klaas Vaak

@dolphin_oracle: my issue with installing another OS, or rather the inability, is probably due to a bad installation of AntiX, perhaps in turn due the fact that during installation I chose to let AntiX wipe Windows off, when perhaps I should have done it manually with GParted. Anyway, Xecure has given me some hope to keep AntiX – keep my fingers crossed.

Xecure
    Xecure

@dolphin_oracle: my issue with installing another OS, or rather the inability, is probably due to a bad installation of AntiX, perhaps in turn due the fact that during installation I chose to let AntiX wipe Windows off, when perhaps I should have done it manually with GParted. Anyway, Xecure has given me some hope to keep AntiX – keep my fingers crossed.

I still believe it is not antiX’s fault, but something to do with the other distros not having good support for eMMC detection (or maybe a BIOS option like Secure Boot is active). Formatting the drive and later having the same experience with those distros will prove that antiX doesn’t take hostages, but that the distros can’t see without the “proper glasses”. You could even use a Windows10 live USB, as that should load without a problem (hopefully you don’t have to go to these extremes).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.