Can't install Mint Linux on AntiX installed emmc drive

Forum Forums General Hardware Can't install Mint Linux on AntiX installed emmc drive

This topic contains 53 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Klaas Vaak Jul 1-7:04 am.

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Klaas Vaak

@Xecure: “demo” worked in that I got through to the Boot Repair, and I tried both the Reinstallation to MBR and the repair of the Grub config file. Unfortunately neither of the 2 gave a positive result: when I boot without the USB stick I still end up with that black screen telling me no device is detected and to insert the medium.

Xecure
    Xecure

when I boot without the USB stick I still end up with that black screen telling me no device is detected and to insert the medium.

We are having bad luck 🙁 , but we shall not desist!

The problem may be in the boot order.
    Before changing the boot order, try this. I think that for lenovo laptops, the F12 key shows the boot menu to choose from what device to boot. Go there after powering on and select one of the HD options (any one that is not USB, CD or network). If when selecting that one you cannot boot (get same result), restart and try another one. This way you will be able to identify which of the partition contains the antix install. I am positive that you will be able to find the antix partition and boot properly from it. Once you know its name, you may go to the Bios Boot priority order and move up that particular partition so it is first. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

Let us know how it goes.

Klaas Vaak

Thanks for your help & patience, Xecure, I’ll try that tomorrow & will let you know.

Klaas Vaak

@Xecure: when I go to the boot menu without having the live USB stick in, the only option to boot from is Real tek PXE B01 D00.
    It seems antiX is not installed, which I don’t understand.
    @Xecure, if you are getting tired of this circus I fully understand; don’t hesitate to not bother anymore because this is a nightmare. If I cannot find a solution I might try to install MX to see if that is more successful – since MX is based on antiX the computer might respond.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Klaas Vaak.
    Xecure
    Xecure

I tried to reinstall antiX (BIOS settings: secure boot – off, Legacy booting on)

when I go to the boot menu without having the live USB stick in, the only option to boot from is Real tek PXE B01 D00.

I was thinking about it and maybe it is because eMMc drives have problems with Legacy mode. I cannot test it on my device as it doesn’t let me choose a Legacy mode. I believe that even if you installed MX, it would still have trouble finding the device at boot.
    I would reenable UEFI but keep Secure Boot off.

If the drives now appear on the Boot priority order, then that may be it. I don’t think you would be able to boot though, as it was installed in “Legacy mode”, but truly I don’t understand these things myself.

I would recommend you try MX, as the tools are more user-friendly. It is a bit heavier than antiX, but not much. You could try it out on Live USB to see if it runs well enough. Or you could attempt to reinstall antiX again. The important thing is finding something that works for you, and that works well, no matter even if it is Windows.

@xecure, if you are getting tired of this circus I fully understand; don’t hesitate to not bother anymore because this is a nightmare.

I only get tired when something is impossible, or people give up, or I am sleepy 😛

Klaas Vaak

I would recommend you try MX, as the tools are more user-friendly.

Install MX in Legacy or UEFI mode?

Xecure
    Xecure

Install MX in Legacy or UEFI mode?

UEFI, better. When you install, you would have the same problems you have now if keeping Legacy.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Xecure. Reason: Explaining better
    Klaas Vaak

UEFI, better. When you install, you would have the same problems you have now if keeping Legacy.

My original installation, which is what started the this thread, WAS done in UEFI mode. The only reason I tried Legacy now is to see if it would make a difference.
    Anyway, if I give MX a go I’ll do it in UEFI mode.

Klaas Vaak

@Xecure: just to let you know that I manage to get this sorted out. I have reinstalled antiX again (UEFI) as my computer seems to be wedded to it (joking, of course). If the scrolling issue recurs I will install something else, probably MX.

I want to thank you especially, and also the other commenters for your help and encouragement.

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.