antiX-bullseye-a1-x64-bullseye-full available

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-bullseye-a1-x64-bullseye-full available

• This topic has 202 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated Feb 21-12:56 am by Koo.
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 203 total)
  • Author
    skidooskidoo

@userzero
    grep default_path /etc/slim.conf

Running live: Bullseye. 2 systems, one Laptop one Desktop, same issues..

Personal remastering is resetting keyboard to US English, results in user login and sudo problems.

Cups is not starting at boot, set start service from Control Center marked runlevels are 2,3,4,5
    started from console can connect to localhost:631. Printer config survives, and printing works until
    next reboot. Back to cups not running.
    Not a printer or driver issue, using Brother MFC-J6750 and/ or Tally 9330 B/W Laser (made by Samsung).
    Both need PPD.

AntiX printer setup tools no function, menu and control center. Had to setup directly in cups.

Any help, info welcome. The alpha is up to now more enjoyable/less buggy than some so called stable distros
    not based on deb testing. :-).

XecureXecure

Cups is not starting at boot,

I cannot say anything about the other issues, but maybe I can help with this.

I suspect you are using a “disable=” boot option, one that disables some of the services (including cups). Remove that boot parameter and try booting. Probably cups service will now start.
    This is not an issue, but the expected function. Read this: http://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/docs-antiX-19/FAQ/boot-params.html#_disable_some_systemv_services

About keyboard resetting, could be the new qt keyboard app saves the configuration and it is excluded during the remaster.
    Do you set the keyboard layout yourself manually with this app, or are you setting it with a boot parameter?

Hi xecure,
    setting keyboard from control center, remove us keyboard as not needed.
    Have not found where the the live remaster exclusions are in system up to now,
    was also guessing the issue is there.

Regarding disable= boot option, I have not set one, if there is a standard antiX setting
    to disable some system services although a user explicitly sets them that would
    (from user standpoint) be really frustrating/unexpected behavior.

I am trying to test as any normal user would do, once a stick is setup regarding keyboard layout,
    Language, Persistence settings expecting those settings to stick.
    Same with regard to cups which is a user install.

Maybe there is more to the cups start issue as i was reading latest version is designed as on demand
    service rather than for always running. For a few pages a day that would make sense. If a print command
    or request from an application would start the service as needed that is.

Latest cups changes are a bit of a challenge for many of us using older printers. My Tally is old in years
    but never used, as no drivers were available for win 10 i was given it for free. A very reputable
    device with duplex printing and cheap toner, no way i want to bin that.

XecureXecure

During boot, see the line of boot options (if on Legacy_BIOS boot), and delete the disable=lx boot parameter. [If on UEFI boot, hit ‘e’, remove the “disable=lx” parameter]. See if cups loads on the next boot and, if it does, you can remove entirely the parameter and save the boot parameters (F8 menu in Legacy_BIOS boot, menus=s in UEFI boot).

This is not new, and has been there since antiX 17 at least (I started using antiX since 17, so I don’t know how it was set before). The live system, to have a faster (and less problematic) boot, has this parameter set up by default. This is how it works, and has always worked. You can add and remove boot options, so there is nothing permanent. People who use a lot the live system will figure this out when they start reading the documentation and the FAQ, seeing Dolphin_Oracle videos or searching for answers in the forum.

Try it out first. If cups service launches after removing disable=lx (mainly the “l” option in that disable boot parameter), you will know that this was the reason. If it doesn’t, then is when the devs will need to investigate.

The keyboard selection not being saved after remastering does need to be checked. I will also test it myself and investigate the possible reason, but hopefully anticapitalista has already observed this and will give us a heads up.

If a ~/bin folder was created as a default and added to the path, wouldn’t it be secure if that folder could only be maintained with elevated authority?

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

ouch, that’s really non-secure!
    Yes, the mechanism is, already, in place
    and the instruction within .profile PREPENDS, gives precedence to, ~/.local/bin

to see the result:
    mkdir ~/.local/bin
    then launch a terminal emulator and type
    bash -l && echo $PATH

Toward understanding the significance of this, consider:

BadMe coerces you to run my program. My program has lines buried within it which will:
    mkdir ~/.local/leafpad (in case it does not already exist)
    touch ~/.local/bin/leafpad && chmod +x ~/.local/bin/leafpad
    echo -e “cd / && rm -rf” > ~/.local/bin/leafpad

Upon your next attempted launch of leafpad, wave byebye (and you’ll never know what hit ya.)

FWIW that is the Debian default (from bash package)

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Hi xecure, thanks for assistance,
    will check boot parameter tomorrow, still think the behavior is unexpected with regard to cups as that is not included
    in the full antiX version. That is a user install, easy printing is an essential, even more so as many kids and students are
    on their own during setup due covid.

With a T410 going for 500 euro or more (covid Ripoff) here many really old computers are coming back in to usage, many without
    hard drive or a very tiny one. good 64GB USB stick is cheapest way to get a system working. About 10 Euro.
    Printing is an essential for home schooling as it works at this time.

Have reports of password reset to demo on top of keyboard change back to US layout, this with a straight remaster to the
    original stick after full upgrades had been performed. Work for tomorrow, I am tired now.

EDIT: have now after reading the remaster script (to my best ability) found it is following /usr/local/share/excludes
    will try and figure out for myself why some personal settings are not carried over.

I think we never ran in to these difficulty’s before as main image was generated from an installed system. Now more need to
    work with live booting USB stick only.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by ModdIt.
    KooKoo

Just tried to open startup services from control panel GUI and it won’t open everything else works. Works fine from the cli version antiX-cli-cc.

code lines from CC gui

sysvconf_prog=/usr/sbin/sysv-rc-conf
    test -x $sysvconf_prog && sysvconf_entry=$(entry \
        $ICONS/choose-startup-services.png \
        "rc-conf-wrapper.sh &" \
        $"Choose Startup Services")

Running sudo sysv-rc-conf from the terminal works fine..

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Koo.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Koo.

T430 i7-3632QM 16gb , antiX-19.2.1-runit_x64-base Hannie Schaft 29 March 2020 , 5.8.16-antix.1-amd64-smp
    Testing 21a on T430.

skidooskidoo

it would be helpful (for wannabe contributors) if we had available an up-to-date “a21” branch for https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/Build-iso or a separate, up-to-date, project repo e.g. “build-iso-21”

sasa_sasa_
    Package nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source

E: Package 'nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver' has no installation candidate

Not in repositories, or will not be supported ?

KooKoo

it would be helpful (for wannabe contributors) if we had available an up-to-date “a21” branch for <a href=”https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/Build-iso&#8221; ”

Sorry I will stop testing now.

T430 i7-3632QM 16gb , antiX-19.2.1-runit_x64-base Hannie Schaft 29 March 2020 , 5.8.16-antix.1-amd64-smp
    Testing 21a on T430.

skidooskidoo

Koo, I meant no offense whatsoever. Maybe something got wrinkled during translation?
    Let me rephrase that:

It would be helpful (for us wannabe contributors, so that we might submit proposed changes as gitlab MergeRequests) if we had available an up-to-date gitlab repository containing a copy of the build-iso files.

XecureXecure

I am fully up to date, and my Control Centre DOES properly launch “Choose Startup Services” (with the same code as koo reported). Try updating the system and trying again, Koo.

I saw codecs-antix update, and it is not available in the control centre. I launched it from the applications menu (Codecs installer) and I get an error message.
    codecs-installer-error

still think the behavior is unexpected with regard to cups as that is not included
    in the full antiX version.

CUPS has always been included in antiX full, so it is not a user install. You may have missed the link I provided. There, it is explained that the disable=l option disables a few services, including cups:

l = lean Turn off some services
    Lean services:

acpid acpi-fakekey acpi-support bootlogs bluetooth
    cpufrequtils cron cups gpm ifplugd
    irqbalance loadcpufreq nfs-common rpcbind rsync
    rsyslog saned smartmontools ssh stop-bootlogd
    sudo wicd

I am not sure how accurate this is now in the current version, but it at least is a hint to what may be the cause of your problem.

I am too accustomed to using boot parameters, so I set up my keyboard even before I boot into antiX, in case I need to do thing in the terminal (for antiX core or when there are boot problems) with kbd=<keyboard-layout>, as I explained in the wiki: https://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters#Keyboard_selection

I will check later today about remaster problems you have experienced, ModdIt and compare with previous antiX 19 live USB.

nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver

It seems this package is not currently available in Debian bullseye:

From: https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=all&searchon=names&keywords=nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver
    Package nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver

stretch (oldstable) (x11): NVIDIA metapackage (340xx legacy version) [non-free]
    340.108-3~deb9u1: amd64 armhf i386
    stretch-backports (x11): NVIDIA metapackage (340xx legacy version) [non-free]
    340.107-2~bpo9+1: amd64 armhf i386
    buster (stable) (x11): NVIDIA metapackage (340xx legacy version) [non-free]
    340.108-3~deb10u1: amd64 armhf i386
    buster-backports (x11): NVIDIA metapackage (340xx legacy version) [non-free]
    340.108-10~bpo10+1: amd64 armhf i386
    sid (unstable) (x11): NVIDIA metapackage (340xx legacy version) [non-free]
    340.108-10: amd64 armhf i386

sasa_sasa_

Screenlight not working in antiX alpha.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 203 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.