antiX-bullseye-a1-x64-bullseye-full available

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-bullseye-a1-x64-bullseye-full available

• This topic has 202 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated Feb 21-12:56 am by Koo.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 203 total)
  • Author
    XecureXecure

SamK’s network-check-antix script also enabled OOTB and this detects the existence of a network or not.

Reporting on this. I tested it on ethernet connection, switching to ceni and it doesn’t load anything after restarting the session. I have yet to test it on wifi (connected or disconnected).

Related to this, and based on the results seen in this topic: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/incessant-er-periodic-rhythmic-neverending-network-activity/

I propose we replace other files (that would be placed in the corresponding folder for Build-iso (not sure if in Template/COMMON/squashfs or custom-config-file) which could reduce some of the scripts functions (and reduce some trouble in the future).

/var/lib/connman/settings would contain:

[global]
    OfflineMode=false
    TimeUpdates=manual
    TimezoneUpdates=auto

[Wired]
    Enable=true
    Tethering=false

[WiFi]
    Enable=true
    Tethering=false

This does 2 things:
    – Disable incessant ping-ing of connman trying to reach NTP servers every 3-5 seconds.
    – Will fix the need to “enable” wifi manually in connman (part of the antix-wifi-script will be redundant after this).

I consider it better to use a separate ntp program to constantly update date and time online (for example, separate package ntp) that would be more connection-manager agnostic, but I will write an entry in the wiki for those who want to use connman for this purpose (thanks to ModdIt for all the research behind the understanding of this feature).

Also, the file /etc/connman/main.conf, taking the default one as template and add at the beginning (or end)
    PreferredTechnologies=ethernet,wifi
    So that connman will always default to Ethernet if this is connected, instead of using wifi as default (current connman default) if available. This will fix the need to disable or disconnect from wifi for Ethernet to work (when Ethernet is already connected) [Also, thanks to ModdIt for researching into this issue].

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Xecure. Reason: 2 things, not 3
    XecureXecure

Does repo-manager use the flags from flags-common? Dependency is missing (meaning, the program works, but flags-common is not listed as a dependency).

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

First bug report (pretty important, I think).

New keyboard program system-keyboard-qt (and its dependency flags-common) will be removed from the system if antix-installer is uninstalled. It needs to be included in the list of installed packages fro base/full.

Fixed for alpha2

SamK’s network-check-antix script also enabled OOTB and this detects the existence of a network or not.

Reporting on this. I tested it on ethernet connection, switching to ceni and it doesn’t load anything after restarting the session. I have yet to test it on wifi (connected or disconnected).

Related to this, and based on the results seen in this topic: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/incessant-er-periodic-rhythmic-neverending-network-activity/

I propose we replace other files (that would be placed in the corresponding folder for Build-iso (not sure if in Template/COMMON/squashfs or custom-config-file) which could reduce some of the scripts functions (and reduce some trouble in the future).

/var/lib/connman/settings would contain:

[global]
    OfflineMode=false
    TimeUpdates=manual
    TimezoneUpdates=auto

[Wired]
    Enable=true
    Tethering=false

[WiFi]
    Enable=true
    Tethering=false

This does 2 things:
    – Disable incessant ping-ing of connman trying to reach NTP servers every 3-5 seconds.
    – Will fix the need to “enable” wifi manually in connman (part of the antix-wifi-script will be redundant after this).

I consider it better to use a separate ntp program to constantly update date and time online (for example, separate package ntp) that would be more connection-manager agnostic, but I will write an entry in the wiki for those who want to use connman for this purpose (thanks to ModdIt for all the research behind the understanding of this feature).

Also, the file /etc/connman/main.conf, taking the default one as template and add at the beginning (or end)
    PreferredTechnologies=ethernet,wifi
    So that connman will always default to Ethernet if this is connected, instead of using wifi as default (current connman default) if available. This will fix the need to disable or disconnect from wifi for Ethernet to work (when Ethernet is already connected) [Also, thanks to ModdIt for researching into this issue].

Will be included on alpha2

Does repo-manager use the flags from flags-common? Dependency is missing (meaning, the program works, but flags-common is not listed as a dependency).

Fixed in next package upgrade

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Forum Admin

Known bugs:

* Conky shows a greyish background – fixed by re enabling the wallpaper via wallpaper app. This should not be needed as this is a regression from antiX-19 default behaviour.
    * Double/treble popups when running and saving persist files
    * gfxpayload boot warnings running live

Suggestions:

* I have managed to build debs for very latest roxterm versions.
    They are gtk3 and add c.10MB extra RAM usage compared to roxterm-gtk2.
    * 64 bit iso to ship with 2 kernels. One 4.9 (or 4.19) and the other a 5 series version.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

XecureXecure

Will be included on alpha2

Fixed in next package upgrade

Thanks for confirming and for the fast response.

Suggestions:

* I have managed to build debs for very latest roxterm versions.
    They are gtk3 and add c.10MB extra RAM usage compared to roxterm-gtk2.
    * 64 bit iso to ship with 2 kernels. One 4.9 (or 4.19) and the other a 5 series version.

I think it is OK to include the new gtk3 version, but I will let the experts that maintain older hardware be the ones to comment.

About, the kernel. Is this table correct (https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html)?
    I was going to suggest using 4.19 as default, and the recent 5.10 LTS for “newer kernel” version, but the site states that support for 5.10 is only until 2022, so is the 5.4 LTS the better one? Is something inherently broken on 5.10 or is this how it normally goes for Linux kernel development (they don’t call for an End Of Life until the next LTS is released)?

Bullseye will be the new stable until June-July of 2023, and LTS until 2026. Kernel 4.9 will be supported until January 2023 (before the end of Bullseye “stable state”), so for better support I would suggest 4.19 (EOL Jan, 2024) as the default kernel for antiX 21.

XecureXecure

Bug(?): Ceni really slow scanning for wireless access points
    State: Running live USB with persistence on a laptop.

Connecting using cmst works perfectly. The first time cmst launches using the network-check-antix, even though Wifi is enabled, I need to disable and re-enable it, bt on my laptop cmst finds and connects to the Wireless Access Point correctly.

I disabled network-check-antix from startup and used the antiX wifi switch to connect to the wifi access point using ceni.
    I get the interface selection in ceni, select my wlan0 interface, but then it gets stuck in “Scanning for wireless networks… Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant” for 5 minutes. It finally scans different access points and now I am connected with ceni.
    Does anyone else experience this or is this only on my laptop?

skidooskidoo

as mentioned in post #47630, toward revising the F1 helpdocs regarding minimum/recommended disk requirements, which source of info should be considered to be the definitive “reference” ?

https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/cli-installer-antix/-/blob/master/cli-installer

echo $"Requirements for minimum installation:"
    echo $"antiX-full: hard-disk 5.0GB  RAM 64MB"
    echo $"antiX-base: hard-disk 3.5GB  RAM 48MB"
    echo $"antiX-core: hard-disk 1.0GB  RAM 48MB"
    echo $"antiX-net:  hard-disk 0.7GB  RAM 48MB"

vs

https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/gazelle-installer-data-antix/-/blob/master/gazelle-installer-data/installer.conf

default smallest size to search for installable partitions
    MIN_ROOT_DRIVE_SIZE=4000

#Variables that affect installer help text, but may vary by iso
    MIN_INSTALL_SIZE=3.5 GB
    PREFERRED_MIN_INSTALL_SIZE=5 GB

edit:
    proofreading, my own question here is confusing to me when I re-read it.

The question insinuates that an accurate definitive reference does not currently exist ~~ I’m unsure that’s the case. I don’t know whether gazelle-installer actually displays “3.5” to the enduser. Regardless whether or not it does, ISTM the MIN_INSTALL_SIZE is a constant, hardcoded, minimum (applicable regardless which base/full edition is being installed). Separately, we have cli-installer requiring (or fail) 5GB, for full edition.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by skidoo.

Forum Admin

@skidoo – on building antiX-full, our build script says it will take up 3.5GB disk space.
    For base it says that it will take up 2.7GB.

ileile

Hello anticapitalista and everyone
    sent up from install a1

System:    Host: 8440p Kernel: 4.9.240-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
               v: 10.2.0 Desktop: Fluxbox 1.3.5 dm: SLiM 1.3.6 
               Distro: antiX-bullseye-a1_x64-full Grup Yorum 3 January 2021 
               base: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid 
    Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP EliteBook 8440p v: N/A 
               serial: <root required> Chassis: type: 10 serial: <root required> 
               Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 172A v: KBC Version 30.35 serial: <root required> 
               BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: 68CCU Ver. F.60 date: 11/11/2015 
    Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 45.1 Wh condition: 45.9/45.9 Wh (100%) volts: 12.4/11.1 
               model: Hewlett-Packard Primary type: Li-ion serial: 01595 2011/08/15 
    CPU:       Dual Core: Intel Core i5 M 560 type: MT MCP arch: Nehalem speed: 1199 MHz 
               min/max: 1199/2667 MHz 
    Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
               driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:0046 
               Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.10 driver: intel 
               resolution: 1600x900~60Hz, 1280x1024~60Hz 
               OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics (ILK) v: 2.1 Mesa 20.2.6 
               direct render: Yes 
    Network:   Device-1: Intel 82577LM Gigabit Network vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: e1000e 
               v: 3.2.6-k port: 5020 bus ID: 00:19.0 chip ID: 8086:10ea 
               Device-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: 5000 
               bus ID: 43:00.0 chip ID: 8086:4239 
    Drives:    Local Storage: total: 15.24 GiB used: 3.59 GiB (23.5%) 
    Weather:   Temperature: 7.2 C (45 F) Conditions: Scattered clouds 
               Wind: from NNE at 3.1 m/s (11 km/h, 7 mph) Cloud Cover: 100% Humidity: 89% 
               Dew Point: 5.5 C (42 F) Pressure: 1008.8 mb (34 in) 
               Current Time: Mon 04 Jan 2021 07:27:52 PM EST 
               Observation Time: 2021-01-04 19:07:00 (America/New_York -0500) 
               Source: WeatherBit.io 
    Info:      Processes: 187 Uptime: 14m Memory: 3.66 GiB used: 514.7 MiB (13.7%) 
               Init: SysVinit v: 2.96 runlevel: 5 default: 5 Compilers: gcc: 10.2.1 alt: 10 
               Shell: bash v: 5.1.0 running in: roxterm inxi: 3.0.36 
    blzIherea1@8440p:~

when read from inside the fluxbox rootmenu , sudo minstall, just plain sudo for Installer , inside rootmenu (?)
    MenuManager is another with sudo inside rootmenu

rayluorayluo

antiX-bullseye-a1-x64-bullseye-full is an alpha quality release for experienced testers of antiX to test and provide feedback.

FYI: The DistroWatch page was updated so promptly, only within a day or so. https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=antix

ileile

Hello anticapitalista
    at power-on initial _mem with automatic start wlan,

Private  +   Shared  =  RAM used	Program

220.0 KiB +  46.0 KiB = 266.0 KiB	gpm
    228.0 KiB +  90.0 KiB = 318.0 KiB	init
    300.0 KiB +  51.0 KiB = 351.0 KiB	acpid
    304.0 KiB + 124.0 KiB = 428.0 KiB	cron
    528.0 KiB +  57.5 KiB = 585.5 KiB	rpc.idmapd
    416.0 KiB + 176.5 KiB = 592.5 KiB	dundee
    444.0 KiB + 200.0 KiB = 644.0 KiB	rpc.statd
    376.0 KiB + 351.0 KiB = 727.0 KiB	udevil
    492.0 KiB + 249.5 KiB = 741.5 KiB	rpcbind
    172.0 KiB + 751.0 KiB = 923.0 KiB	saned (2)
    852.0 KiB + 192.5 KiB =   1.0 MiB	dbus-daemon
    696.0 KiB + 455.0 KiB =   1.1 MiB	devmon
    732.0 KiB + 510.0 KiB =   1.2 MiB	desktop-session
      1.2 MiB +  78.0 KiB =   1.3 MiB	smartd
    824.0 KiB + 586.0 KiB =   1.4 MiB	getty (6)
      1.4 MiB + 268.5 KiB =   1.6 MiB	sshd
      1.3 MiB + 389.5 KiB =   1.7 MiB	sudo
      1.4 MiB + 356.5 KiB =   1.8 MiB	ntpd
      1.7 MiB + 127.0 KiB =   1.9 MiB	elogind-daemon
      1.6 MiB + 333.5 KiB =   1.9 MiB	connmand
      1.5 MiB + 502.0 KiB =   2.0 MiB	bash
      2.0 MiB +  89.0 KiB =   2.1 MiB	rsyslogd
      1.9 MiB + 310.5 KiB =   2.2 MiB	ofonod
      1.1 MiB +   1.1 MiB =   2.2 MiB	connman-vpnd
      3.2 MiB +  42.0 KiB =   3.2 MiB	haveged
      2.3 MiB +   1.1 MiB =   3.4 MiB	cupsd
      3.4 MiB + 508.0 KiB =   3.9 MiB	udevd
      5.0 MiB + 652.5 KiB =   5.6 MiB	wpa_supplicant
      4.7 MiB +   1.0 MiB =   5.7 MiB	conky
      4.3 MiB +   1.8 MiB =   6.1 MiB	fluxbox
      9.2 MiB +   1.9 MiB =  11.1 MiB	volumeicon
     11.4 MiB +   2.6 MiB =  14.0 MiB	urxvt (2)
     18.8 MiB +   1.5 MiB =  20.3 MiB	slim
     25.3 MiB +   1.6 MiB =  27.0 MiB	Xorg
    ---------------------------------
                            129.2 MiB
    =================================
    blzIherea1@8440p:~

i switched Backlight Brightness to urxvt

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by ile.
    Forum Admin

More bugs:

On live shutdown – error message – eject error when loading shared libraries libmount.so.1 cannot open shared object file

Various startup errors running in Vbox (live):

* /usr/local/bin/desktop-session-wallpaper: line 109: say: command not found
    * /usr/local/bin/autoscale-antix: line 38: service: command not found
    * /usr/local/lib/antiX/antiX-common.sh: line 946: cryptsetup: command not found

XecureXecure

Various startup errors running in Vbox (live):

* /usr/local/bin/desktop-session-wallpaper: line 109: say: command not found
    * /usr/local/bin/autoscale-antix: line 38: service: command not found
    * /usr/local/lib/antiX/antiX-common.sh: line 946: cryptsetup: command not found

Confirmed on VBox 4.1.10

Fix for autoscale-antix (replace “if statement” starting from line 33)

### If running Virtual Machine
    if [ $(lscpu | grep -ic Hypervisor) -gt 0 ]; then
    	### Check if running on VirtulBox
    	if [ -e "/usr/bin/VBoxClient" ] && [ $(lspci | grep -ic "virtualbox") -gt 0 ]; then
    		### Check if Vbox display is running. Start if needed.
    		if [ $(ps -aux | grep -v grep | grep -c "VBoxClient --vmsvga") -eq 0 ]; then
    			VBoxClient --vmsvga &
    			# Restart session to correctly place conky
    			sleep 2
    			echo "Launching VBox dynamic resizing and restarting session"
    			desktop-session-exit -R
    		fi
    	fi
    	exit 0
    fi

You may remove the sleep2 command if the wait is too long. I placed it there thinking that some slow VMs with only 1 CPU would suffer if the session restarted too soon.

Other visual bugs described by anticapitalista (strange window title rendering of the “persistence save” window on the new gtk3 desktop-session-exist window and gray conky issue fixed when applying the wallpaper with wallpaper script) confirmed.

Bug in new antiX-Magic theme for icewm: There seems to be some images missing or the positions are incorrect (I will send a message to BobC).

XecureXecure

Could someone explain why calling the commands “service”, “say”, “cryptsetup” and “which” from these script in terminal works, but when called from .desktop-session/startup they are “not found”?

I tried using
    bash -c "service virtualbox-guest-utils status"
    for example, to try to go around the script, but this doesn’t work. Any suggestions?

skidooskidoo

explain?
    Howabout a nice “train of thought” instead?

I have only encountered “say” as the name of a function, never as a freestanding executable command.
    (also: qsay, psay, vsay)
    That function is defined within one (or several) of the antiX utility “libraries” ~~ shell scripts which are intended to be sourced by/from other scripts rather than being executed directly.

cd /usr/local && grep -nr ^say[\(]
    ^—v
    .desktop-session/startup is/was never intended to be called directly, right?
    If both the (conditionally selected) “startup” script and lib-desktop-session.sh are sourced by the /usr/local/bin/desktop-session script (I didn’t recheck the newest version of the startup script), the “say” function would be (and according to your report, is) callable from a line placed within the startup scriptfile.

Within the “lib” scripts where the say function is defined, those function definitions are not exported (passed to subshells of child processes via environment variables) so are not visible from within the context of any child scripts (launched via lines added within the startup script).

a quickie reading list for bash export: [1], [2], [3], [4], [5], [6]
    (related: bash “declare”)
    export and declare are bash built-in commands. From a bash prompt, we can type:
    help export
    help declare

> [say] when called from .desktop-session/startup [is] “not found”?

and, specific to “say”… your post accidentally lumped that example in with the others?
    ISTM, we also should not expect it to be available (as a command) from terminal prompt.

> commands “service”, “cryptsetup” and “which” from scripts [launched via] terminal work,
    > but when called from .desktop-session/startup they are “not found”?

Sounds like the PATH envvar is being blanked/suppressed when the .desktop-session/startup child is called, right? This (mis)behavior you’re observing is something new, indicative of a bug/regression, right? (Asking because although I could help track down the bug, I’m at a loss to “explain” this misbehavior.)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 203 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.