antiX-bullseye-a2-runit_x64-full.iso available

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-bullseye-a2-runit_x64-full.iso available

• This topic has 148 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated May 14-4:49 pm by skidoo.
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 149 total)
  • Author
    PPC
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

I’m running antiX 21 a2 runit live on bare metal for the first time (I always ran it in virtual box, but formated a spare pendrive and put it to good use).

The good stuff:
    – not much RAM usage than 19.3, closing conky, the language selection and volume tray icons brought RAM usage to under 130 MB – great considering I’m using the latest kernel
    – It’s still fast enough for daily usage, even from a old usb stick (non usb 3)…
    – Some new themes look really slick – I’ll probably try mixing some theme’s window interface and menu colors to get something ideal for me- if I do so, I’ll show that on a new thread
    – The software tab on Control Centre (that rolled into antiX 19.X too, I was pleased to notice) will be quite handy for people trying out the distro and complaining that it “does not update!!!”
    – Automatically turning on the wi-fi network and popping out the interface that allows users to select wi-fi networks makes antiX even more usable out of the box (on my crappy netbook with a tiny screen, I had to auto hide the toolbar so I could click the “ok” button to accept the wifi password- I never noticed that just pressing “enter” does nothing…)

The not so good stuff:
    – When I tried running antiX-updater I got some strange behaviour- the window appeared, it started checking for updates and then poof- the window went missing… I continued my web browsing, and a couple of minutes later, I tried runninf antiX-updater again- I got a message that there was no network available (but I was web browsing at that very moment). I closed antix-updater and ran it again- it ran fine, but I did not apply the updates, since I’m running from a tiny usb stick.- All that could have been from temporary wi-fi connection problems that struck exactly when I was runnig antiX-updater.
    The control centre > Network > Wifi connection connman icon’s description has some encoding problems, in pt-pt language – it’s the only entry that does not display correctly!
    – The Themes – I already told Bob that one of his themes does not display correctly in low-res (Sorry Bob, I’ll try to send you a screen grab, it slipped my mind).
    But other icewm theme has a problem that I didn’t notice in a1 (the sysv version I tried out, at least): “Breathe yellow”‘s Close section of the window decoration looks weird, but it looks ok in “Breathe yellow pale”, that almost identical.

So, at least to me, a2 (runit) looks so solid I wouldn’t mind using it as my daily driver!

P.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

To improve service control in the future, I have created a small script. It is a simple gui for basic service management on rnit, including on/off logging and loading/unloading services.
    https://gitlab.com/antix-contribs/serv-man-antix
    For anyone who experienced the log problems explained a few pages ago (and wants to disable all logs), and for anyone interested in managing their services in runit, please give the script a go and provide a bit of feedback. It requires dialogbox and yad (and runit, of course) packages to be installed, and needs root permissions to run.

If everything goes well, in a month or so I will also have a similar script to manage sysVinit services that is a bit simpler than the current cli one in antiX, and I will build a package around both scripts for easy installation.

After solving the disk writing issues I see myself using the runit edition constantly. I think this will be a full migration once the final version is released. Very good work, anticapitalista!

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

similar script to manage sysVinit services

We had a lovely GUI program “boot-up manager”. It was kicked from debian by GnomeTeam b/c it is gtk2.
    I have a slightly modded version I could publish if you are interested
    (it installs a local helpdoc covering servicname+descriptions, instead of linking to an abandoned ubuntu wikipage helpdoc)

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/bum
    (a screenshot is available from the linked page)

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

We had a lovely GUI program “boot-up manager”. It was kicked from debian by GnomeTeam b/c it is gtk2.
    I have a slightly modded version I could publish if you are interested

Thanks for this. One less thing to do then. I see it is much more complex than what I was aiming for (which was to only start/stop enable/disable services, and not change the runlevel), so it is much better than anything I could build.
    I will rename the project to simple-runsv-man and only aim for improving the runit tool.
    I tried xsv, which you recommended in another thread, and it displays the output of
    sudo sv status /etc/service/*
    And gives more info than a simple user needs or can easily understand (and doesn’t manage start/stopping logging). It also has a bug that refreshes the information and you can no longer see the service you have clicked (and need to scroll down). You can easily add new services, but I will add that to the script in the future, once I understand how runit services are created.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Does anyone else experience weird click-input issues in some cli based applications? When I use, for example, htop, and I click on CPU or MEM (to change the sorting order), it also clicks on whatever the blueish highlight is on. And on ceni (which doesn’t work on antix-runit because of a missing resolvconf service), it adds a lot of input-characters when writing the password and I cannot select the options except for keyboard input. Happens for both touchpad and mouse.
    Also, clicking inside alsamixer closes the terminal.

It doesn’t happen on antiX 19.3 installation. I will test later if on 19.4 and 21-sysvinit version.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Xecure. Reason: Added alsamixer experience
    PPC
    Helpful
    Up

I just noticed something: when testing a2 runit – usb live- on my single core 64 bits CPU – conky reports CPU usage always around 14% (using both the older and the newer kernels). On the installed 19.3 antiX usually the cpu usage is 3-5%…
    Is that to be expected? If so, I’ll probably try out 19.4 on that netbook and if the RAM usage is about the same as 19.3, I’ll stick with it…

P.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

I just noticed something: when testing a2 runit – usb live- on my single core 64 bits CPU – conky reports CPU usage always around 14% (using both the older and the newer kernels).

Please install dialogbox, download the runit-service-manager.sh script, make it executable, and run it with sudo. Go one by one and disable the LOG for all services that have it on or off (disable LOG startup), but not for those with LOG status “?”.
    Exit the script and compare CPU use.

calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

Hi @Xecure,
    Finally I have a chance to test out the runit-service-manager script that you have created and posted. I downloaded it, made it executable, and ran it with sudo. I was able to disable all services that was either LOG on or off, but did not touch those with a LOG status of ?. I then exited the script and shut down and started the computer in antix-bullseye-a2-runit. I then started the script again to confirm that those LOG services were off. I did confirm that changes did take and memorized after boot.

Interestingly, I could still hear my hard drive being constantly working even after disabling the log services. This is similar to before I make those changes via the script.

I actually did the “control” experiment. On this same Toshiba Satellite C55-B5300, I actually have antiX-bullseye-a2-sysvinit and antiX-bullseye-a2-runit dual boot installed.

So, I booted into the antiX-bullseye-a2-sysvinit system. During the initial boot, I can hear my hard working. But after booting and the system was at baseline, the hard drive was very quiet. It is very noticeable how quiet the hard drive is in the a2-sysvinit system compared to how loud the hard drive is on the a2-runit system.

Fortunately, I had both systems loaded on the same computer to do this test. Based on this test, I am hesistant about using the a2-runit for a long time in its current state, even after disabling the LOG services. I am afraid it would wear down my hard drive.

Thanks,

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

@calciumsodium
    I think I solved my issues on my system, so I hope I can help you. When you have a few minutes to test, first install iotop on the runit system
    sudo apt install iotop
    Then run this command to see which are the processes writing to the disk:
    sudo iotop -o
    if there is any that says runsv <service-name>, then it is a service that is still trying to log stuff but doesn’t know how (wrong user error).
    Leave this terminal open to keep watch of the io writing.
    Try to disable logging for that exact <service-name> using the runit-service-manager.sh script (even if it says “?”) just to see if it stops writing. If it is a non vital service, (or if the normal service status is ?) disable the service itself (and not only logging).

Note: you can also disable logging for vital services.

Let us know if this works.

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

@Xecure- yes! You were right- it was the logging that was taking about 9-10% of my CPU power- after turning off logs for everything I could, idle CPU use went back to the usal 3-5%! Great!
    And my compliments to you- great app, too, Xecure- efficient and simple to use! I guess a 21 runnit is a keeper, keeping my old netbook running an updated OS for the rest of it’s remaining life! 🙂

P.

calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

I was able to solve the logging problems on my antix-bullseye-a2-runit system with the latest suggestion from @Xecure.

My first attempt was to use the runit-service-manager script that was posted. I was able to disable the LOG of all services that was either LOG on or off, but did not touch those with a LOG status of ?. But the hard drive kept on working on a non-stop basis.

In the next attempt, I used sudo iotop -o as a diagnostic. The output showed 8 additional services that had the runsv message: anacron, saned, rsync, sudo, acpi-support, gpm, dundee, and ofono. Then I used the runit-service-manager script to disable these services. After this change, the hard drive was no longer continuously working and became quiet as in the a2-sysvinit system.

Basically, according to the runit-service-manager the only essential services that are running are:
    dbus
    elogind
    getty-tty1
    getty-tty2
    getty-tty3
    getty-tty4
    getty-tty5
    getty-tty6
    slim
    udevd

The runsv error does not seem to affect these essential services.

Is this profile on my system similar to other a2-runit systems where the log problem was solved?

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

I will fix up the service manager to add a button to disable all logs or be able to disable the ones with log status “?”.
    The vital/essential services I hard-coded are based on anticapitalista’s answer a few pages back.

If future antiX runit comes with the logs disabled or with the proposed fix (or a similar one), then there is no need to worry about the logs, /they will work without causing such problems). Anyway, I will fix the script to include a way to disable the logs for log status “?” and maybe also a disable all logs button.

calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

Hi @Xecure,
    Thank you for helping with this logs problem. A disable all logs button would be very useful until a more permanent solution. Now I feel more confident about further testing this a2-runit system without damaging my hard drive.
    Thanks.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Does anyone else experience weird click-input issues in some cli based applications? When I use, for example, htop, and I click on CPU or MEM (to change the sorting order), it also clicks on whatever the blueish highlight is on. And on ceni (which doesn’t work on antix-runit because of a missing resolvconf service), it adds a lot of input-characters when writing the password and I cannot select the options except for keyboard input. Happens for both touchpad and mouse.
    Also, clicking inside alsamixer closes the terminal.

It doesn’t happen on antiX 19.3 installation. I will test later if on 19.4 and 21-sysvinit version.

I see the issue re htop, but I have been running a2 runit with ceni without issue (I removed connman)

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

I will fix up the service manager to add a button to disable all logs or be able to disable the ones with log status “?”.
    The vital/essential services I hard-coded are based on anticapitalista’s answer a few pages back.

If future antiX runit comes with the logs disabled or with the proposed fix (or a similar one), then there is no need to worry about the logs, /they will work without causing such problems). Anyway, I will fix the script to include a way to disable the logs for log status “?” and maybe also a disable all logs button.

Thanks.
    Next (testing) version will come with logs disabled.
    BTW – although it is probably safer for users not to disable elogind, antiX offers consolekit2 as an alternative.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 149 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.