antiX-bullseye-a2-x64-full available

Forum Forums antiX-development Development antiX-bullseye-a2-x64-full available

• This topic has 62 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated May 24-3:54 am by Wallon.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

I am curious why that is so [for this specific kernel]

a plaintext file
    /boot/config-4.9.235-antix.1-amd64-smp
    (exact filename varies based on kernel version)
    Search for ‘SELINUX’ within the file.

For comparison, here is the result for /boot/config-4.9.235-antix.1-amd64-smp

CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX=y
    CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_BOOTPARAM=y
    CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_BOOTPARAM_VALUE=0
    CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_DISABLE=y
    CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_DEVELOP=y
    CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_AVC_STATS=y
    CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_CHECKREQPROT_VALUE=1
    CONFIG_DEFAULT_SECURITY="selinux"
    CONFIG_DEFAULT_SECURITY_SELINUX=y

For that particular kernel you are running, maybe one or all of the “y” values was, instead, configured to “n” (intentionally, or perhaps as an oversight during configuration) so the check, and the associated warning, is skipped.

calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

Hi @skidoo,
    I am using 5.10.27 kernel for both a2-runit and a2-full. As you suggested, I examined the config-5.10.27-antix.1-amd64-smp of each of the a2-runit and a2-full. Below, I am displaying any lines that contain the selinux keyword. As you can see, they are identical. Before using the selinux=0 command to disable the selinux, a2-runit would not display the selinux policy.33 error message, but a2-full would. With respect to the config-5.10.27-antix.1-amd64-smp of each of the a2-runit and a2-full systems, the selinux parameters appear to be identical.

For a2-runit: config-5.10.27-antix.1-amd64-smp

CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_CHECKREQPROT_VALUE=0
    CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_SIDTAB_HASH_BITS=9
    CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_SID2STR_CACHE_SIZE=256

CONFIG_LSM=”yama,loadpin,safesetid,integrity,selinux,smack,tomoyo,apparmor”

For a2-runit: config-5.10.27-antix.1-amd64-smp

CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_CHECKREQPROT_VALUE=0
    CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_SIDTAB_HASH_BITS=9
    CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX_SID2STR_CACHE_SIZE=256

CONFIG_LSM=”yama,loadpin,safesetid,integrity,selinux,smack,tomoyo,apparmor”

Wallon
    Helpful
    Up

Dear Developpers,

For the creation of the Live USB stick, I used Windows 10 with the Rufus 3.3 installer. antiX-bullseye-a2_x64-full.iso image downloaded on May 16, 2021. No problem as usual to create the Live USB stick.
    Like the others, I notice that the Grub mentions “runit” for the ISO image which is not “runit”.
    I will install Antix on another Sandisk Ultra Flair USB3 key (32GB, 150 MB/s read).
    I launch the Live USB key, I get a Grub in English.
    I choose F2 in FR_BE mode
    I choose F3 Timezone = Brussels
    1st line, ok I understand, it’s a LEGACY installation.
    2nd line, I don’t understand, I guess it’s a UEFI installation, there should be an additional information for new users.
    I understand the other lines…
    Well, I chose the first line, in LEGACY mode.
    The Live key starts well on my MSI/NVIDIA desktop.
    I check that my keyboard is in Azerty Belgium with the Geany editor. OK everything is fine so far.
    I launch the installer. As usual, it’s not possible to install for a new Linux user. The installer crashes because of the explorer. It’s always the same since Antix 19.3 and also with Antix 19.4.
    I close the installer.
    Tip for new Linux users.
    —————————
    1) “Favorite Applications” icon
    2) “Control Center”
    3) “Disks”
    4) “Configure Automount” icon
    5) Below the line “Open Default File Manager on Mount”, you must disable the little check box (uncheck the box) “USB devices”.

I restart the installer.

On the Sandisk Ultra Flair USB stick, I create 3 primary partitions with Gparted which is in the installer (the Gparted icon is very small)
    1) 2 GB – Swap,
    2) 20 GB Root – ext4,
    3) the rest in Fat32 to exchange data with Windows.
    The installation goes very fast.
    I restart the PC with the Sandisk Ultra Flair key.
    I discover the new sky blue background of the new Grub. Smurf atmosphere. For those who don’t know, it’s a Belgian comic strip with blue characters.
    The font is white and the background is very white on the bottom right. We can’t read the text. I don’t pay much attention to the aesthetics but the background should be changed.
    I am updating Antix. 192 packages to install.
    I install the Officejet Pro 8600 network printer (fax, duplex module for printing, duplex module for scanning, phone) by installing HPLIP (I don’t install the suggested or recommended packages). Everything is much better than with Antix 19.4, HPLIP does not ask me for a “permission request”.
    I install the driver for NVIDIA. There is only one driver (460) and it’s the same in both repositories.
    I restart the PC to update everything.
    As usual, there is some screentearing. I already gave the solution of the magic command on the forum.
    I also notice like the others the famous selinux message “policy 33” which bothered me a lot with Antix 19.3 and kernel 5.
    I also notice that my 2 internal disks are not mounted. There is no more disk manager and there is no more Gparted to modify the fstab file. Not easy for a new user to go into the fstab file and modify the lines ….
    I installed the “French” language package for Firefox ESR. I synchronized Firefox and everything works fine.
    Well, I must admit that Antix 21 is beautiful. The developers did a great job while I was translating curious words on Transifex.

Best regards,
    Wallon

Attachments:
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

1st line, ok I understand, it’s a LEGACY installation.
    2nd line, I don’t understand,

It isn’t too clear, but the LEGACY means kernel 4.9.xxx and the other one is newer 5.10.XXX kernel. This saves the trouble for users with very new computers that find that the 4.9 kernel doesn’t support their system (and they cannot boot using antiX).

I choose F2 in FR_BE mode
    I choose F3 Timezone = Brussels

Then you could choose “F4 > noautomount” So that no devices automount. This will save you from

Tip for new Linux users.
    —————————
    1) “Favorite Applications” icon
    2) “Control Center”
    3) “Disks”
    4) “Configure Automount” icon
    5) Below the line “Open Default File Manager on Mount”, you must disable the little check box (uncheck the box) “USB devices”.

Gparted should still be there. If not found on the menu, Control Centre > Disks > Partition a drive (last option in bottom right).

I also saw to my surprise that connecting the printer worked so well (also a2, but runit). It has been years since I last needed to use a printer and it worked very well.

PS: The smurf reference made me smile.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by Xecure. Reason: Forgot to mentin the kernel thing

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Wallon
    Helpful
    Up

Dear Xecure,

About the Grub, by choosing the 1) Legacy mode, the kernel 5 was installed automatically on my computer.
    I really need an explanation about the first 2 lines of the Grub.

Thank you for the F4 option that I did not know. But you are an expert and you anticipate the action because you know in advance that you have to disable the “automount” function. For a beginner, it is not intuitive and he doesn’t know that he has to do this in advance.

Concerning Gparted; “App Selec” does not find it. Thanks to you, I know I will have to go through the “Control Center”.

Sincerely,
    Wallon.

Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Wallon
    Helpful
    Up

Dear all,

I edited my fstab file with nano.
    I get a message after closing my file.
    I don’t know if it’s important because my fstab file has been successfully saved.

WALLON@MSI:/etc
    $ LANGUAGE=en sudo nano fstab
    Error in /root/.nanorc on line 76: Unknown option "smooth"

Best regards,
    Wallon

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

is it really grub?

About the Grub LegacyBIOS boot screen , by choosing the 1) Legacy mode, the kernel 5 was installed automatically on my computer.
    I really need an explanation about the first 2 lines of the Grub.

The liveboot .iso file contains 2 kernels.
    Choosing the “first line” instructs use of kernel #1 for the current liveboot session.
    Choosing the “second line” instructs use of kernel #2 for the current liveboot session.

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

don’t know if it’s important

Don’t worry, I get the same message… It’s only related to nano’s config file.
    Try this:
    sudo geany /root/.nanorc
    and comment out line 76, putting a “#” (without quotes) on the start of the line, then save the text file and run nano again- the error should be gone…

P.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you for the F4 option that I did not know. But you are an expert and you anticipate the action because you know in advance that you have to disable the “automount” function. For a beginner, it is not intuitive and he doesn’t know that he has to do this in advance.

You are right. Non knowing this is normal, and disbling automount helps with these specific situations. It is set to automount specifically so that people don’t suffer figuring out where they have to go to mount their USB devices, but for when you want to install the system in a USB, automount is a bother.
    For now we can only provide the path you outlined in your instructions to disable automount from Control centre when the case rises on already booted systems. No idea what other workaround could be followed except maybe an easier path to reach the option.

Wallon
    Helpful
    Up

Hello,

@xecure, @skidoo, @PPC, thanks for all your answers. You are very interesting people.

@PPC, I think it should be fixed in the ISO file.

Since Sunday, I can’t install the codecs.
    Maybe in the test version it is not planned?

Sincerely,
    Wallon

Wallon
    Helpful
    Up

Dear developers,

It would be nice to have “Package Installer” (the tree with all categories) in its French version.

Thanks in advance.

Wallon

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

Wallon, we discussed this months ago. I added category support, folks tested…
    but no one passed the word to anticapitalista. I’ve sent a merge request today.

Wallon
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you very much skidoo for your support.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

I think there is an error in the fr_BE translations, because the fr translations work properly (tested in bullseye, with packageinstaller version 0.2.7 (same as in buster/antix19).
    We cannot blame anticapitalista for this.
    fr-packageinstaller

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

We cannot blame anticapitalista for this

skidoo was blaming skidoo
    but from your post, I now understand that v0.2.7 has made it into distribution although gitlab is still showing 0.2.6

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.