antiX-bullseye-beta1 iso files available. 64 bit only

Forum Forums News Announcements antiX-bullseye-beta1 iso files available. 64 bit only

• This topic has 135 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated Jul 23-3:42 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 136 total)
  • Author
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Related to repo mirrors.

skidoo linked to this file (differences between old and new /usr/sbin/localize-repo).
    The biggest difference is the pk repo no longer being used. This might mean all the pk entries must be removed.

I am attaching the edited localize-repo file with all pk entries removed. I tested it and it works properly now.

(tried to attach as .zip)

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Xecure.
    Attachments:
    calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

Also, on Legacy Boot, F8 menu (save boot changes) selecting the legacy kernel doesn’t work (at least on my tests). Could anyone else check if this also happens to them?

I see that (on my system) the F8 menu saves the changes to Grub menu, but the syslinux/isolinux doesn’t remember them.

Hi @Xecure,
    I am trying to reproduce the above. Can you please go into a little bit more detail so I can try to reproduce? Thanks

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Hi @Xecure,
    I am trying to reproduce the above. Can you please go into a little bit more detail so I can try to reproduce? Thanks

Sorry. Forget it. I was forcing syslinux to artificially boot, thinking that Legacy_BIOS boot was still the same (it is still the same on VirtualBox), but christophe already pointed out that the GRUB boot replaces it in BIOS systems.

Sorry for wasting anyone’s time.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

timezone issue should be fixed in next upgrade of apt-antix.
    Thanks Xecure.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

timezone issue should be fixed in next upgrade of apt-antix.

Great news.

Thanks for your work.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

This is just a test. Ignore this message.

Attachments:
    calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

Hi,
    I would like to report another positive test result for antiX-bullseye-b1-sysvinit with the 5.10.27 kernel.

First, a background to understand why I am happy about the result. I have one old desktop that a friend gave me that has an HDMI output. It is an old Dell Studio with a core 2 processor. So it is about 10 years old. The HDMI out will give both great video and audio outputs. The modern TV has the HDMI input. So why not hook up that Dell to the family TV. The family can browse the internet, stream videos, etc., with the high quality of the HDMI. So that is what I did. I had antiX 19 on that Dell. Initially, I get the video to go through the HDMI, but not sound. So I installed pulseaudio and pavucontrol. Pavucontrol has an option called configuration where I can select HDMI sound/surround sound as the output. But I still can’t get the sound to work. I did some searching on the web. Turns out I have to
    sudo adduser $<username> audio
    every time I start the computer. So I had to figure out a way to automate it. There might be better solutions out there, but the following was what worked for me:

1. create script file /home/<username>/hdmi.sh, which contains the line:

adduser $<username> audio

2. give root access and make it executable

sudo chown root:root /home/<username>/hdmi.sh
    sudo chmod 700 /home/<username>/hdmi.sh

3. set up sudo to allow hdmi.sh to execute without a password

sudo visudo 

#to open sudo permissions file: sudoers
    #around line 25, you'll see this line
    # %sudo ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL
    #below that line, insert the following line

<username> ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /home/<username>/hdmi.sh

#save and exit text editor

4. in startup, add

#sudo adduser #<username> audio
    /home/<username>/hdmi.sh &

#pulseaudio
    pulseaudio &

It works, and our family has enjoyed countless hours with that Dell/TV combination.

So, I wanted to see how antiX-bullseye-b1-sysvinit would do on that Dell with respect to the HDMI quality of the video and audio. Using a different hard drive, I did a fresh install of antiX-bullseye-b1-sysvinit with the 5.10.27 kernel. To my surprise, just running pulseaudio is enough for b1-sysvinit to produce the hdmi sound. The hdmi video is a given. I did not have to do any of the fancy script described above to get the sound to work. I just had to install pulseaudio and have it launch in startup. I did not have to use pavucontrol configuration to select the hdmi sound output. b1-sysvinit automatically selects it.

I wanted to report this positive result.
    Thanks

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Great news and results for your testing, calciumsodium.

I also had trouble getting the ALSA audio system to output sound to HDMI. I ended up creating tool for it here, to let us select and test the audio device using ALSA (no need for pulseaudio)

Recently, I have tested pipewire on antiX-bullseye, which replaces the need for pulseaudio (and you can still manage the audio with pavucontrol, which is convenient). It uses less resources than pulseaudio, and (to me) seems to have better quality, volume and less lag. It is a few versions old compared to the current release but it has worked quite well for me.

Thanks for all your testing.

calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

Recently, I have tested pipewire on antiX-bullseye, which replaces the need for pulseaudio

Hi @Xecure,

Thank you for the referring me to this post. I think I saw it, but it went above my head at the time. After reading this post again, I think I have a machine to test pipewire. My family DO NOT want me to touch that Dell Studio hooked up to the family TV again. They are very happy with that B1-sysvinit OS setup. So that machine is off limits for me.

During my testing of hdmi output with pulseaudio with B1-sysvinit, there is an HP machine that has a display port. I was also able to get both video and sound out of the displayport-to-hdmi to the family TV. Video was great, sound was not as good as from hdmi-to-hdmi in the Dell Studio. Hard to describe the sound quality. The sound is a little bit muffled. Therefore, I want to try pipewire on this HP machine. Maybe I can get that sound quality to be better from the displayport. Our family TV has two hdmi inputs (HDMI1 and HDMI2). The Dell Studio is connected to HDMI1. I will test the HP machine on HDMI2.

It will take me a little bit of time to read up and learn about pipewire. I will give this a try using B1-sysvinit as the OS.

EDIT: I went back and tested some more on the HP machine with the displayport-to-hdmi connection to our family TV. I put pulseaudio early on in startup before volumeicon. The sound now works great with the displayport-to-hdmi connection.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by calciumsodium.
    Jing-Jo
    Helpful
    Up

Concerning previous post:

>>>> VMPK not working

<<< confirmed. My suggestion: grab the deb-src buster package (it’s the older, working version) and compile that on your bullseye system. If you need instruction how to do so, start a fresh topic. >>>

VMPK is fixed now .
    Tested on 2 different hardwares.
    Thanks

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

@calciumsodium
    thanks for: I put pulseaudio early on in startup before volumeicon. The sound now works great with the displayport-to-hdmi connection.

Useful tip, Display port to HDMI is getting a lot of use these days.

sudo adduser $<username> audio, new to me usually putting user in group audio has been fine. Added to my workarounds collection 🙂

ile
    Helpful
    Up

grub2.04

System:
      Host: 8440p Kernel: 5.10.27-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 
      compiler: N/A Desktop: Fluxbox 1.3.5 dm: SLiM 1.3.6 
      Distro: antiX-bullseye-b1_x64-full Grup Yorum 11 June 2021 
      base: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) 
    Machine:
      Type: Laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP EliteBook 8440p v: N/A 
      serial: <root required> Chassis: type: 10 serial: <root required> 
      Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 172A v: KBC Version 30.35 
      serial: <root required> BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: 68CCU Ver. F.60 
      date: 11/11/2015 
    Battery:
      ID-1: BAT0 charge: 46.1 Wh condition: 47.0/47.0 Wh (100%) volts: 12.4/11.1 
      model: Hewlett-Packard Primary type: Li-ion serial: 01595 2011/08/15 
      Device-1: hidpp_battery_0 model: Logitech Wireless Keyboard K360 
      serial: 4004-13-87-a8-bd charge: Full status: Discharging 
    CPU:
      Dual Core: Intel Core i5 M 560 type: MT MCP arch: Nehalem speed: 2637 MHz 
      min/max: 1199/2667 MHz 
    Graphics:
      Device-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
      driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:0046 
      Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: intel 
      resolution: 1600x900~60Hz, 1280x1024~60Hz 
      OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics (ILK) v: 2.1 Mesa 20.3.4 
      direct render: Yes 
    Network:
      Device-1: Intel 82577LM Gigabit Network vendor: Hewlett-Packard 
      driver: e1000e v: kernel port: 5020 bus ID: 00:19.0 chip ID: 8086:10ea 
      Device-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel 
      port: 5000 bus ID: 43:00.0 chip ID: 8086:4239 
    Drives:
      Local Storage: total: 28.65 GiB used: 4.76 GiB (16.6%) 
    Weather:
      Temperature: 26.1 C (79 F) Conditions: Few clouds 
      Wind: from WNW at 0.9 m/s (3 km/h, 2 mph) Cloud Cover: 75% Humidity: 50% 
      Dew Point: 14.9 C (59 F) Pressure: 1007.1 mb (34 in) 
      Current Time: Sat 03 Jul 2021 07:20:47 PM EDT 
      Observation Time: 2021-07-03 19:09:00 (America/New_York -0400) 
      Source: WeatherBit.io 
    Info:
      Processes: 172 Uptime: 53m Memory: 3.64 GiB used: 228.0 MiB (6.1%) 
      Init: SysVinit v: 2.96 runlevel: 5 default: 5 Compilers: gcc: 10.2.1 
      alt: 10 Shell: bash v: 5.1.4 running in: roxterm inxi: 3.0.36
    ile
    Helpful
    Up

an extra editor is handy;
    share documents as html, text, asc
    seamonkey composer available from seamonkey status bar or call by command
    seamonkey -edit
    empty of a url.
    call for browser from composer; or call composer from browser.
    here seamonkey browser look. putting here for one of you may not be familiar with seamonkey suite.
    >Edit >Preferences >(Category)Advanced >Software Installation >
    uncheck check for updates.

ile
    Helpful
    Up

exciting icewm colors. number one Dust; Korstro[light-reglr] menu is incredible good. opinion and thanks.

LikkMii
    Helpful
    Up

Cool. Now ditch Firefarce and make The Monkey default.Ditch Libre Office too. If someone wants all that crap they can install it after the fact

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 136 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.