antiX Control Center some new strings to be translated

Forum Forums antiX-development Translations antiX Control Center some new strings to be translated

• This topic has 15 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Feb 29-8:04 pm by Robin.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Robin

Dear fellow translators!

There was a recent update of the antiX Control Center, featuring tooltips for most of its entries now. These need to be translated at transifex: http://app.transifex.com/anticapitalista/antix-development/antixcc/

You can check out the result of your translations with the most recent version of antiXcc from http://gitlab.com/Robin-antiX/control-centre-antix/-/raw/a7755a3fa76fa92909111746eb122b9a33bc4760/antixcc.sh?inline=false
      Copy it to the /usr/local/bin folder on your antiX 23 system. (It should work on antiX 21/22 as well, but was not tested by now)

You’ll additionally need to copy the Icon file http://gitlab.com/Robin-antiX/control-centre-antix/-/raw/master/icons/Noia_64_apps_kcmscsi.png?inline=false to the /usr/share/pixmaps folder.

Finally download the filled in translation file in your language (.po type, „for use”) from transifex and apply the command:
      sudo msgfmt -o '/usr/share/locale/<your_language>/LC_MESSAGES/antixcc.mo' 'for_use_antix-development_antixcc_<your_language>.po'

@English native speakers:
      Please download the new version of Control Center linked above and check out all the tooltips still reading “No tooltip by now, sorry.” when runing. Please provide proposals for useful English text to be added to these. Many thanks!

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

PPC

Hi Robin. As you know, I’m not a native English speaker, but I found a few problems with some text strings:

18 – typo: “instad” should be “instead”
        53- typo: “lice” (ouch!) should be “like”
        55- it’s a matter of style: “Update antiX automatically to the most recent state of the selected repositories.” is too complex. Perhaps something like “Update antiX so it uses the most recent packages available”. Also “automatically” may make users think antiX updates automatically (yes, I had problems creating the “Automatic” button, but found no better expression to mean “non attended”, so most users got what this button did).
        56- “antiX program remover” may induce users in error, thinking this is something like Windows’s “Remove program” option. Perhaps something like ” Clean up uneeded antiX packages”?
        68- also a matter of style “your antiX” is not really needed, only “antiX” will suffice. Or you can go with “your computer” instead, that makes more sense to me…

P.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by PPC.
        Forum Admin
        anticapitalista

Perhaps to save time for translators, the tool-tip texts could be the same as the Comment in the .desktop files?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Robin

Perhaps to save time for translators, the tool-tip texts could be the same as the Comment in the .desktop files?

Maybe in some specific cases this might work. But I believe in most cases the control center needs to provide some more elaborated pieces of information in the tooltips, way to long for the menus. But if a translator feels like copying the translation or a part of the translation from the comments in desktop files translations he could do so, why not, if it saves him time.

but I found a few problems with some text strings:

Many thanks, PPC! I’ve had worked on this on a mobile device with a very small screen while riding on train, so the letters displayed were way to small for my eyes, hence the typos. Sorry.
            Since all already done translations will get lost when changing the strings within script source itself, I believe it is best to fix it in English language by filling in these very strings in the English translation at transifex. Any objections?

Concerning “antiX program remover”; This is what it reads in the .desktop file also (after it was renamed from “antiX autoremover”, update at transifex is still to come, had no time by now to do it), so I have stick to this naming in the control centre. But I have translated it to „Remove orphaned packages” in German translation. So feel free to improve to whatever you feel like in your language, and possibly add an improved English „translation” at transifex also.

Still, most important:

… reading “No tooltip by now, sorry.” … Please provide proposals for useful English text to be added to these.

Somebody may write down some lines for these, giving the user an idea of what he might expect or what is most important to take into account when running the very entry in antiX control centre. I have no idea how these tools actually work, so I can’t write the tooltips for them.

Needed tooltips:

from „Network” section:

adsl/pppoe
            Gnome ppp
            wpa supplicant
            addblocker

From „Shares” section:
            droopy

From „Session” section:

Grub background
            login management
            configuration of user session

From „Live” section:

Configure Persistence
            Set up persistence
            Exclusions

From „Media” section:

configure automount
            Hard drive management
            Image a partition
            Directory sync

From „Maintenance” section:
            Boot repair

Brian Masinick

I thank Robin, PPC, and others who have been consistently working in this area.

While I speak only American English and have only minuscule knowledge of words
              in other languages, I value and appreciate languages and cultures throughout
              the world and I enthusiastically cheer and support the tireless efforts
              that many of you have undertaken to improve the appearance, words, and
              functionality of our work in many diverse languages.

I thank each person who spends time in this work; this is an excellent
              example of our overall community in action!

--
              Brian Masinick

PPC

@Robin: no problem at all with any way you consider for fixing any typos on the English “localization”.

Opinion- antiX users are getting “spoiled” by folks like us, always making antiX so user friendly! antiX now has GUI’s for almost any possible (essential) task, and now it even gets tooltips on Control Centre? This little “light OS” remains extremely light and about as user friendly as the most used Distros out there (if app-select’s plugins are implemented, the lack of drag-and-drop from the menu to the desktop or toolbar will me mitigated almost 100%, almost…) This says a lot about the patience anticapitalista has to cater to non geek users along with us geek users. We have terminal tools and config files to edit. Regular non geek users just have to click icons or buttons.
                Like we say in Portugal “agrada a gregos e troianos” (an expression that’s probably some thousands of years old- it “pleases both greeks and troians”, i.e “everyone).

More to the point, in no particular order (remember that I’m not a native English speaker):

Boot repair” – place your old boots against the screen and press them gently. The boots will be magically repaired- it’s antiX magic! 🙂
                Now seriously: “Repair any boot problems you computer may have. Boot antiX from a Live system and use this option to repair the boot of your hard drive”

addblocker” – enable/disable or configure the way antiX automatically blocks some adds, even if your browser does not have any add blocker. You may have to disable add blocking here in order to access some particular sites.

Grub background” – select the background image for this computer’s boot screen (what you see just after you turn it on)

P.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by PPC.
                Brian Masinick

Regarding –

“More to the point, in no particular order (remember that I’m not a native English speaker):

Boot repair” – place your old boots against the screen and press them gently. The boots will be magically repaired- it’s antiX magic! ????
                  Now seriously: “Repair any boot problems you computer may have. Boot antiX from a Live system and use this option to repair the boot of your hard drive”

addblocker” – enable/disable or configure the way antiX automatically blocks some adds, even if your browser does not have any add blocker. You may have to disable add blocking here in order to access some particular sites.

Grub background” – select the background image for this computer’s boot screen (what you see just after you turn it on) ”

These are clear and easy to understand, including the “joke” about the “old boots”!

The boot repair, adblocker and Grub background explanations are clear to me; if anyone else has alternative explanations or suggestions for clarity, please join the discussion, otherwise I’m in agreement with what PPC has added to clarify and simplify the words that are present.

--
                  Brian Masinick

linuxdaddy

“Gnome ppp” – configures a dial up modem internet connection.
                    “adsl/pppoe” – configures an adsl modem high speed internet connection.

— adsl modems are what telephone companies use to achieve high speed internet using standard
                    telephone lines.

stevesr0

Hi Robin,

First attempt at using this system.

After providing a username, I finally got to the site with antixcc code, but am getting an error connecting to the server. Is this a commonplace or have I done something wrong or…?

stevesr0

marcelocripe

After providing a username, I finally got to the site with antixcc code, but am getting an error connecting to the server. Is this a commonplace or have I done something wrong or…?

Stevesr0, as you didn’t detail what error is displayed to you, I can’t help you. the Transifex URL changes to http://app.transifex.com/signin/, enter your username and password, then go to http://app.transifex.com/anticapitalista/antix-development/, choose the language and the list of features (names of programs) will be displayed.

– – – – –

Stevesr0, como você não detalhou qual é o erro que é exibido para você, eu não tenho como te ajudar. o URL do Transifex mudo para http://app.transifex.com/signin/, entre com o seu nome de usuário e senha e depois acesse http://app.transifex.com/anticapitalista/antix-development/, escolha o idioma e a lista dos recursos (nomes dos programas) será exibida.

stevesr0

Hi marcelocripe,

IIRC, I logged in with Google and was never asked for a password. The error was “error connecting to the server, reload”.

I will try the route of setting up a new account and see if that works.

stevesr0

Wallon

Dear Translators,

The antixcc project has been updated at Transifex. There are several strings to be translated.

Best regards,
                            Wallon

Robin

Many thanks @Wallon for the message.

Just wondering: All these strings were already completely translated half a year ago, so what has happened here? Can’t see any reason why all the translations have been deleted now, and all work has to be repeated, while the original English strings seem not to be changed at all. Have found only two or three strings to be actually new. So this must have been some kind of accident I guess. Maybe @anticapitalista could possibly explain how this might have happened.

Wallon

Dear Robin,

I have analysed the strings in depth.
                                A developer has often removed the double inverted commas around program names.
                                So Transifex considers that these are strings to be re-translated. This is normal behaviour!

Kind regards,
                                Wallon

Forum Admin
                                anticapitalista

There are abort 20 tool tip additions

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.