antiX installer fails (fromiso and other issues)

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer” antiX installer fails (fromiso and other issues)

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Nov 11-10:18 pm by Dave.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I have an old PC that has a Via C3 CPU that doesn’t have the cmov and other instructions, so I was glad there was antiX that could potentially run on this PC. I had to install the first installation (16.2) through PXE and memdisk, because the BIOS does not emulate the USB drive as a CD-ROM disk. I was using the net ISO, because this ISO is just small enough to fit in RAM. I also had to install GRUB legacy instead of GRUB2, because GRUB2 fails spectacularly and goes into a boot loop. After some struggles I managed to get a barely functioning install working, but still no desktop or full distro working, just command line.

AntiX 17 was just released, so I gave it a try. I read in the wiki how to install from an ISO on disk. ( http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Installation_Tips )
    Fdisk and cfdisk fail (segmentation faults) trying to make a partition on harddisk, so I figured I could use a USB drive instead. I put the antiX-17 net ISO on the USB drive (/antix.iso on /dev/sdb1), copied the vmlinuz and initrd.gz from the ISO to harddisk (/iso/vmlinuz and /iso/initrd.gz on /dev/sda1), and used these GRUB lines to boot the installer:

kernel (hd0,0)/iso/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1 fromhd=/dev/sdb1 fromiso=/antix.iso
    initrd (hd0,0)/iso/initrd.gz
    boot

However, attached is a screenshot of the errors I get.

It seems it tries to read from /live/boot-dev but the ISO is on /live/iso-dev. Also, my other machine does not report that the USB drive has to be check forced and reports it is clean.
    When I try option “c”, it continues and gives a lot of “Illegal instruction” errors, some other messages, “The initrd program took …” in a flash, and then it clears the screen and I see a blinking cursor in the top left corner and the system hangs.

Also, when I tried the full installer, I think it tried to start X server but the screen got black (no blinking cursor) and the system hanged. I also tried using kernel parameter overrides to use VESA, without success.

Some specs of the system: Via C3 550A 550MHz processor, 512MB RAM, P-ATA 20GB harddisk

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

Hmmm. My savage graphics chip. Booted OK. All I can say is did you md5sum check your iso

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/panasonic-cf-48/

It is in the 2nd post on T23. Via, Sis, and Savage are in the same boat when it comes to Xorg.

Edit: Missed that you are using the net iso . I guess a misstep by you is causing the stumble. I guess others will chime in on what that is.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Well, it looks like it is game over for CPUs older than Pentium in antiX 17.. Here is a screenshot of an install in qemu with flag -cpu 486, same thing happens on my Via C3 after manually copying all files from this image. Works fine with -cpu pentium. Installer live CD just hangs while trying to boot using emulated 486.

Attachments:
    Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

Doh. I saw Via and did not click in my head CPU. Hence my error post above. Sorry.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin
    DaveDave

Hmm I wonder if it is actually a 686 kernel then even if it says 486. Maybe you could load the image on another machine and use live kernel installer to change to another 486 kernel? And if that fails perhaps a slightly older one?

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.