antiX is a great distro, thanx

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX antiX is a great distro, thanx

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Mar 1-2:46 pm by seaken64.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    seaken64

Hello antiX forum!

I’ve been reading here for months and I must say I’m impressed with the community here. Thank you to all the developers and contributors. Great job with both antiX and MX.

I’ll be posting a few questions later on but I just wanted to join in this thread and say hi and introduce myself.

I started with computers in junior high on a Commodore Pet then fiddled with a C64 owned by a room-mate but I never had any money so I never really got into computers until after I got married in 1987. Shortly after I started up with a NorthStar Advantage and CP/M. Went on to use computers in our family business following the CP/M->DOS->Windows path. Had only a small bit of Apple/Mac experience and no *nix experience.

What seems like only a few years has become over 30 years of using computers to help in our business and then a hobby. My computer hobby really picked up when people started throwing their computers away at the land-fill/transfer station. After Windows (and MAC) kept being abandoned and updated I found myself with quite a few computers in my “lab”, many from being retired from our business and most from the land-fill. I have over fifty computers ranging from an 8-bit Atari to my home media center on a modern “Pentium” (Duo Core, contemporary with early “i” series) running Windows 7.

And this is where antiX comes in. I have successfully used antiX on several Pentium-III systems and several Pentium 4 systems. Most of these were being used in our business with Windows 2000 and XP Pro. I now use antiX on a couple of these boxes to play music or browse the web.

My first antiX was version 14, and then MX-14. I’ve never been a developer or programmer so it took me a while to get comfortable with how things worked in antiX. I had to learn how to set up the window managers and add desktop icons when needed. But my first linux was Slackware 7 so I had familiarity with setting up configuration files, not to mention my DOS and Win-3.1 days. But what really drew me to antiX was the Debian software package management. I always struggled with Slackware and Vector when it came to managing software packages. Once I learned how to use apt I was able to be much more successful in re-purposing these old computers.

Now I run MX-17 on my main laptop, a Thinkpad R61i. And I am about to make the switch on my secondary laptop which currently runs Xubuntu 16.04 and Windows 7 in a VirtualBox virtual machine. But my main interest is in keeping an old Pentium-III up an running.

This Pentium-III was one of my main desktops at work and ran Windows 2000. W2K runs great on this machine but it no longer supports any modern software. I’ve installed Vector Linux, Slackware, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, and Debian on this machine, all with varying degrees of success. My goal is to see if I can run a modern browser and watch video and listen to music. Up until today antiX has been the best distro for keeping this rig going.

I am on this box now typing this forum post, using antix-16, the Qupzilla browser, and leafpad. I have successfully installed SeaMonkey as my resonably modern browser and I use SMTube and mpsyt (from the command line) for YouTube, and Streamtuner and pmrp (a CLI radio streamer) for listening to music. And I can play DVD’s and audio CD’s and have it all connected to my Pioneer multi-channel reciever/stereo. Not bad for a 20 year old computer.

So thanks again for a great distro. I’ll chime in later with a few questions about the current antiX-17.

Sean

Forum Admin
      rokytnji

Howdy and Welcome. My Emachine 3507 motorcycle shop wireless desktop came out of a dumpster in a alley. Now. I get old city hall castaways. Like so

http://i.imgur.com/ILKd6LZ.jpg
        http://i.imgur.com/0BsGBei.jpg

So I know where you are coming from on old kits. I’ve fried a few trying hardware upgrades and fubared them from inexperience and ignorance .

Nice intro and thanks for the kind words.

Edit. My shop computer is crt, not lcd. I have a couple of spare crt monitors stored away.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
        I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
        Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
        How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

seaken64

I fried a Sony Vaio trying to do a BIOS update. I liked that computer. Learned a lesson. Now I just stay with what I got and see if I can make it work. Some things are a little beyond my current skill set, such as diagnosing motherboard problems and soldering in new caps. But I’m good at swapping in parts and running diagnostic software, etc. Linux, in some form, usually works to resurrect on old machine. But some of my really old rigs I can only get DOS or Windows 95/98 to work. Recently got OS/2 onto some 386/486/P-1 machines.

I have several good CRT monitors. Got most of them from when our shop switched out to new LCD screens. Much better use of desk space! But I like the view on the CRT’s and I use them in my lab all the time.

Sean

Anonymous

Hello seaken64,

I’ve never owned a brand new computer all of my computers are “Frankenbuilds” I’ve put together from computers found on the side of the road on big trash day or thrift stores or others discarded computers.

To much cool old computers and hardware available for free or very small amount of cash that is very capable of being used so Why Not.

Hey rokytnji I have a few of those Dell computers you posted those things are built like tanks, mine have Pentium D 820 Smithfield processors in them.

I figure old electronics was built to last instead of all of this new fangled disposable crap they manufacture today.

seaken64

Yeah, most of the stuff I use was built for business use by IBM, HP, Compaq, or Dell. Most of it built to last. But the marketplace has moved on and the hardware became disposable. But I did buy a small form factor Gateway that I use in my living room for a Media Center (Windows 7 Premium) and I bought a Lenovo desktop for my in-laws and it now runs Windows 10. It’s the highest level processor and memory rig we have in our inventory of computers between the family and the business. I thinks its an AMD processor but somewhere near the i5 range of porcessors and has 6 GB of RAM.

But all my other other stuff, even the desktops I use at the store (which are all old off-lease Core-2-Duo that came with Vista Business) are all used or castaways. My two main systems in my lab were salvaged, one from the dump and the other from a surplus store. I took them home, cleaned them up, and put them to use. They are also both Core-2-Duo. They were both better than the Pentium-4’s I had at the time. I run Windows 8.1 on one and Windows 7 Pro on the other.

But the ones I like the best are the old full or mid-tower desktops that were either Pentium-II, P-III, or Pentium 4. They have lots of room inside and are easy to work on and add hard disks, etc. These are the systems I play with Linux on. But I also put MX-17 on my main laptop that I use at my chair when watching TV and now I rarely boot it to Windows 7. MX runs Kodi as my second screen for watching sporting events when my wife has control of the remote. And I have been loading some Linux distro’s on my Windows 10 desktop at work using VitrualBox so i could check out what I like. (Bot so far not really “using” Linux in the busieness, besides a backup file server running Xubuntu).

When I’m really feeling nostalgic I fire up some of my 286’s and 386’s, running DOS or DR-DOS, or maybe OS/2 and WFW 3.11. Ahh, those were the days. Of course no browsing the net. I used dial-up modems and Bulletin Boards back then. Good times. But now I don’t even have a land-line! So I’ve been working on getting the DOS machines using Ethernet. Still not quite there yet and I haven’t figured out how to use some of the old software without a dial-up. But all that is not Linux related and somewhat off topic.

It’s a fun hobby.

Sean

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.