antiX Linux fan wiki

Forum Forums antiX-development Documentation antiX Linux fan wiki

• This topic has 14 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Oct 4-8:28 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Xecure

After discussing with other members here on the forum, I think it is time for antiX to have a wiki.
    I understand that the devs don’t have the time, but I am sure many of us in the community do wish to try to give back to antiX and build a small “knowledgebase”, as Manyroads would say.
    I petitioned the creation of a (unofficial) wiki in miraheze.org because it is wikimedia based, there are no adds and supports multi-language. After fighting with the software a bit, I was able to have it working (more or less).
    https://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page
    There is barely anything there. I have ported some of the recently created posts (by PCC and anilkagi), and started to learn how to make them translatable.

For anyone interested in writing a bit of documentation , tutorials, how-to, etc., it is free and no registration needed (I think).

Creating new articles:
    – I am sure there are better ways, but what I do is write the name of the article i want to create in the URL to create a new one. First, the page will say “no article exists with this name”, I choose “Create” and start creating the page:
    https://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Name_of_article

After creating an article, please add the link in the Table of Contents so we are able to start forming some kind of structure and also see if something has already been created.

Editing articles:
    – there are 2 ways to edit wiki pages: “Edit” and “Edit Source” (or, when creating, “Create” and “create source”). Both are accessible on the top right, in the form of a Tab.
    – Edit: will launch the Visual Editor (easiest for most of us to use). Limitation: cannot be used if a page is set to translate (to be multilanguage).
    – Edit source: very similar to editing a forum post. It uses wikimarkup syntax (or wikitext). You can learn it or simply use the top buttons and let others figure it out. It will work for all

Translation:
    – Once you are happy with how an article looks, and you don’t plan any short-term changes, you can prepare it for translation. very easy. Edit the page in source mode (Edit source) and place this at the beginning of the text:

<languages/>
    <translate>

and this at the end of the text:
    </translate>

After saving, anyone can translate it (there will be a note at the top of the article saying “Translate this page”, which should let anyone translate it to their language).

I will try moving some of the FAQ topics there and adding and editing things from time to time.

PPC
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

Nice! I already did some small edits!

P.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Very good start!

While I probably won’t be authoring much, if anything, I will check it periodically and if I see anything to add, update or correct I will do so with care

Nice work!

Brian Masinick

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

Although the antixlinuxfan URL is baked-in, can the labeling be revised? (page titles, section headers)
    antiX Linux fan }} antiX Linux fansite

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

https://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Short_essentials_for_a_linux_newbie#Interesting_Extras
    System notifications

antiX does not provide that out of the box, but it’s easy to solve:

Run Package manager and install “Dunst”…

Ouch.
    Statements like this (without clarifying Base, Core, Net, or Full edition(s)) will lead to reader confusion.

dunst?
    Wow — no, that wouldn’t have been my recommended notification widget.

I’m suggesting: unless (until) a definitive answer//solution exists for a given bit, the reader might be better served by inserting a link to an existing page — on antixforum or elsewhere — one which more thoroughly addresses a given topic and/or presents alternative howto approaches.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

https://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Short_essentials_for_a_linux_newbie#Interesting_Extras
    System notifications

antiX does not provide that out of the box, but it’s easy to solve:

Run Package manager and install “Dunst”…

Ouch.
    Statements like this (without clarifying Base, Core, Net, or Full edition(s)) will lead to reader confusion.

dunst?
    Wow — no, that wouldn’t have been my recommended notification widget.

I’m suggesting: unless (until) a definitive answer//solution exists for a given bit, the reader might be better served by inserting a link to an existing page — on antixforum or elsewhere — one which more thoroughly addresses the topic and/or presents alternative howto approaches.

An inappropriate tool in place of a “missing tool” can certainly lead to a lot of confusion.

Something that is NOT a specific recommendation, but in a pinch can let you know if networking is functioning is to ping one or a couple of sites that are almost always available.

I have pretty good success with:

ping -c3 yahoo.com

It’s helpful for me because I almost always use Yahoo Mail. If Yahoo and Yahoo Mail are unavailable I will not be able to use one of the common sites I use every day. It is occasionally helpful to know if my wireless access point goes offline.

NOTE: This is not a tool, it’s a method I personally use, and that is the extent of it’s usefulness. It’s definitely not a recommendation for everyone’s own use.

Brian Masinick

Koo
    Helpful
    Up

I see that MX wiki partly covers antiX as well. MX/antiX Technical Documentation Wiki Ctrl+c Ctrl+v then edit. 😉

T430 i7-3632QM 16gb , antiX-19.2.1-runit_x64-base Hannie Schaft 29 March 2020 , 5.8.16-antix.1-amd64-smp

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Many things to answer here.

Although the antixlinuxfan URL is baked-in, can the labeling be revised?

Both changes can be requested, I believe. If at some point, we could even request to use a custom domain

About what is up right now, most are copy/paste of the good guides created with time and effort by PPC and others. To make it more wiki like, we must replace the “I” this and “I suggest” that. But we needed a starting point. Even some of the articles will be broken down and separated to different articles. This is just a start.

Thanks all for participating. Right now it is almost empty. With time, we can build something we could be proud of.

If anyone has a good idea of what needs to be there first, of a structure/tree for things, please edit the Table of Contents page and write the article names and categories that need to be created/worked on. I really started this blindly and need some direction.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks for starting this Xecure.

Your efforts are greatly appreciated!

Brian Masinick

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Xecure,

Thank you for sending me the link to this topic.

If it depends on these people, on good people, interested and committed, antiX will be eternal and will remain for the next generations.

Congratulations for another initiative.

marcelcripe

———-

Xecure,

Obrigado por me enviar o link deste tópico.

Se depender deste pessoal, de gente do bem, interessados e empenhados, o antiX será eterno e ficará para as próximas gerações.

Parabéns por mais esta iniciativa.

marcelcripe

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Late to the party (again).
    Great initiative!

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Great initiative!

Thanks. It will probably take a few months, but I hope we can cover the most urgent topics not covered by the FAQ so that we can answer most of the repeating questions that pop up here and elsewhere. I would also like to take some of the topics published on the forum and move them there to the wiki in a Tutorial category (still trying to figure out how to do that in mediawiki). It will be easier to organize and search for said tutorials and, once they get a general OK, start translating them.

It takes a lot of time to craft and structure a new article, and my English is not the best, so if anyone (like skidoo is already doing) finds that the structure is wrong, or that some things must be deleted or moved to a new article, please do so. I have no pride for my work and only want things to be improved, even if it means that what I have done so far is discarded.

The end result is more important.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you very much for your efforts. Like everything here, the overall efforts are a collaboration, but you are doing a terrific job of initiating many good things and also answering many forum questions and it is greatly appreciated!👍📯

Brian Masinick

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Many thanks from Moddit and kids,
    we will also do our best to steer some (hopefully) useful content
    in to the project.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Many thanks from Moddit and kids,
    we will also do our best to steer some (hopefully) useful content
    in to the project.

Thank you for your efforts, along with your “team” (and “kids”)👍

Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.