AntiX logo

Forum Forums antiX-development Graphics AntiX logo

• This topic has 83 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated Jun 17-1:56 am by Anonymous.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    ohhohh

a couple of variants

cheers,
    ohh

Every matter requires prior knowledge.

- Du Mu
    The Art of War

masinickmasinick

Good ideas!

As others have mentioned, changing the branding logo may not be the first thing to do. Most organizations rarely, if ever, change a brand logo, but visual graphics change much more often and I do like the images that have been shown.

Nevertheless, let’s keep the discussion going. Even if we do NOT change the brand or logo today (or in the next year), having ideas in mind never hurt. At some point it may make sense to “change direction”, and if that ever happens, at that point in time, changes in graphic arts, not only for wallpapers and backgrounds, but the “company brand” *could* make sense.

With that spirit, I think that it’s OK to have these discussions, keeping in mind that it may not result in a change, but it doesn’t hurt to express ideas. A new generation of software, a new brand, something completely different MAY suddenly open up any number of opportunities, and in that context, I think it is fine to discuss this unless anti himself feels otherwise. Comments?

Brian Masinick

We’ve had prior “for fun” logo topics ~~ they seem to crop up at least once per year. I’ve even uploaded a few samples, as time (and ideas) have permitted.

This time ’round (and in another recent topic), I can’t relate to the “because it looks dated” rationale.

This time ’round, I’m concerned about the prospect of inadvertly perpetuating a seemingly recurrent pattern:
    new faces, folks bouncing with enthusiasm, submit “ideas” then over-anxiously await hearing whether their idea will be adopted… then they wind up feeling disappointed/rejected and clam up. (or become angry. Perhaps something like this is what triggered DontKissDontTell recently?)

ohhohh

skidoo,

I’ve been around since 2006, Mepis first then antiX, antiX has been my desktop for over 10 years. got a pretty tough hide. I like to play with the gimp and occasionally toss something out. If you like it ok, if not, that’s your prerogative.

cheers,
    ohh

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by ohh. Reason: spelling

Every matter requires prior knowledge.

- Du Mu
    The Art of War

capreacaprea

Thank you Brian for finding just the right words.

skidoo, none of the ideas here or the way they were presented will cause discord,
    nor will anything said here, make a newer or older user with a little bit enthusiasm for antiX, feel really angry, IMO.

caprea, I do agree with your Jan18 post. In my prior post, I was just sincerely expressing a few concerns, in direct response to “fine to discuss… Comments?”

capreacaprea

skidoo, since I joined this forum, I’ve always wondered when the discussions suddenly became highly emotional and I’ve always wondered why? for what? Couldn’t understand.But in the last two months, I’ve learned that this thoroughly can happen to me too.It was that tick too much.
    It was an important and somehow funny experience.But I hope I can avoid this in the future, bc you always feel silly afterwards, nothing is obtained.

I’d like to say somthin’n about logo.

“Have you ever asked yourselves the question, why the so-called world companies do not?”
    “That logo has represented the antiX “brand” for a decade. It is what it is.”
    “I agree that branding is what it is.”

That’s nonsense.

“Most organizations rarely, if ever, change a brand logo, but visual graphics change much more often …”

That’s nonsense too.

There are logos and logos and there are companies and companies. While Alexius Papadopulos is proud on his grandfathers logo for his wine or olive oil company, or while some “since 1765 … by appointment of her Majesty, the Queen of England and …” whisky or beer producer might be proud of some old fashioned logo for the “traditional” brand, the exact oposite is true in tech world where you don’t want the image as “being from yesterday”, but where you wanna be a “pathfinder” in the future.

Every respectful company changed their logo at lest once if not on regular basis, every couple of years.

And then, there is logo change and logo change. If you used a bird on your logo for the past 20 years, then you’ll not make a new logo consisting of one acronym or showing a kangaroo but, you’ll make that bird flatter, a bit more abstract or something in that way. So you can keep “your identity” and still show that you are up to date and go with time.

Take a look at Apple and Microsoft. Does Windows 10 uses the logo of Win 7, of Vista, of XP, of 2000, of 98 … Nope. Same with Apple. Or IBM, or … Windows’es changed over time and yet, they are still windows’es, or apples or whatever.

Logos are getting subtle changes over time and they evolve. Abrupt change or suddenly some completely different style are no-go’s.

Logo has to fit the brand and the product and it also has a symbolic meaning. If logo never changes, it suggests that product never changes, that the company philosophy never changes and so on. That’s negative in high-tech world where you must be in front of time or at least, go with time.

I’ll make some practical examples here …

Screenshot Nr. 1:

Can you imagine somthin’ like this? Me less so. That logo doesn’t fit the wallpaper and it suggests “1997”, Clearlooks-Phenix, Gnome-Colors … still the best combination from usability perspective, but “slightly dusty”.

Screenshot Nr. 2:

Would you ever use somethin’ like that? Me not.

It’s more modern on the plus side, but that’s also the only plus.

It’s amateurish made, it’s a copycat, bad executed copy of a good, high quality executed professional logo, it makes to abrupt change compared to original antiX logo, it doesn’t look good (“sharp feet”) and it’s “hurting” the eyes. That also suggest us unconsciously, that the company behind or the product itself will hurt us. (Which is throught for antiX as is.)

Screenshot Nr. 3:

How about this one? This is a high quality, highly professional, very well executed, abstract logo. There are only two reasons why this shouldn’t become official antiX logo:

1. The logo style would be a complete style change without any relation to the predecessor — that’s a no-go.
    2. It’s already used by one company.

Screenshot Nr. 4:

And this one? Well, it depends very much on the product itself. As long as antiX is in it’s present state, it would be a very bad idea. On the other side, one day maybe, somebody might start caring about “the looks” and about the “image” and it maybe even decides to give antiX some “fresh paint” and make it look more modern. Then and only then, such logo (I didn’t say this exact one!) would make very much sense as it would fit better to the new product and to the “new thoughts direction” of the people behind it.

Technicaly seen, it’s a word replacing a word — no abrupt change of style. Just flatter and modern with slightly more modern font curvature. It would be completely different and still the same good, old antiX.

masinickmasinick

You have some solid, articulate contributions and comments.

I don’t have any strong opinion, except for the thought that if a logo change is considered, we need to take into account the factors that you mention, so I do appreciate your contributions.

Brian Masinick

kudos, this is quite an appealing wallpaper (and only 72kb!) ~~ a worthy candidate for inclusion in antix 19

That ‘anonymous’ font (nobody could tell me its name) used in antiX logo was bugging me approx. 1/2 a year long but, I finally found something very similar, if not exactly the same.

Since some people were big fans of ‘old-logo’ (of miserable technical quality) and since other people are considering ‘modernizing’ antiX (which needs more than just a new set of icons — it needs new login screen, new desktop theme, new (set of) wallpaper (~s) … and a new logo) and others are checking the wallpaper sizes …

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-flat-wallpaper-to-modernize/#post-22422

P.S.
    Wallpaper size might make skidoo happy. 😉

XecureXecure

noClue, thank you for finding this. I am very interested in this font. Would you mind linking it or giving us the name of the font? I have already modernized mi desktop with a reimagining of the logo as I wasn’t able to find the font myself. I would be very thankfull if you could share the font.

XecureXecure

Thank you.

dghdgh

Excellent font sleuthing, noClue. That’s definitely it. I don’t love it but it’s not the worst font I’ve ever seen.
    I sorta like the idea of using an abbreviation as a logo.

looks a bit like a rotated skull & crossbones

However, I do agree with the sentiments about the existing logo being recognizable.
    If it aint broke don’t fix it, right?

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by dgh.
    • This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by dgh.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.