AntiX logo

Forum Forums antiX-development Graphics AntiX logo

This topic contains 83 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Anonymous Jun 17-1:56 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    manyroads
    manyroads

How about….

Pax vobiscum,
    Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
    bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.2.15-antix.1-amd64-smp
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
    MX- antiX- BL- ArchLabs

Koo
    Koo

Thanks manyroads & noClue

Two more for the collection. 🙂

Anonymous

antiX Iceberg

PPC

I suck at design, but a stylized ant with the legs arranged to look like an X could be a nice logo for antiX
    (Ex: some stylized ants on-line: https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmaxcdn.icons8.com%2FShare%2Fgoogle%2Fa%2Fant.png&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Ficons8.com%2Ficon%2F4451%2Fant&docid=Yw4V3uSH45ZwwM&tbnid=ouk8pxpDnE4ZQM%3A&vet=12ahUKEwjc57Kt3-biAhWi1uAKHXi5D8w4ZBAzKGIwYnoECAEQZg..i&w=1200&h=960&client=firefox-b-d&bih=635&biw=1024&q=ant%20svg&ved=2ahUKEwjc57Kt3-biAhWi1uAKHXi5D8w4ZBAzKGIwYnoECAEQZg&iact=mrc&uact=8) One image that would fit the bill is something like the top right ant on that image, with slightly differently arranged legs to form a “X”…

I hope anticapitalista is interest in a new logo (well, there is really no logo, so saying just “a logo” would do 🙂 ).

@ NoClue- the icebergs would be really really cool minimalist wallpapers…

P.

Anonymous

As a kid, I enjoyed:

Atom Ant

Atom Ant (gif)

PPC

As a kid, I enjoyed:

Atom Ant

Atom Ant (gif)

The idea crossed my mind when I googled “ant” and it poped up, but… I guess that cartoon character is copyright protected… Maybe doing a “rip off”, just inspired by that cartoon, also with an “X” on the chest, instead of an “A”? One can design characters inspired by other characters. There are countless super hero rip offs that don’t violate copyright laws…

P.

Anonymous

😉

aUntyX

P.S.
    Some more free ants here

P.P.S.
    As of the logo, I prefer it this way … It can have multiple meanings … ant(i)X or NO ant(iX) or … 😉

P.P.P.S.
    As of the icebergs …
    They’re pretty large and transparent. All you need to do is, open some image in GIMP and add iceberg as a new layer over it.

dgh
    dgh

Wanted to see how it looked if I followed a photo of a real ant as a guide

I think I prefer a simplified shaped, like the ‘top right’ ant in PPC’s example image. I clicked the image link before I read his comment. It was the one that naturally drew my eye and then it happened to be the one he liked, too. Don’t know if it needs to have X-shaped legs, but I’d have to see it to judge. I’ll play with it later if nobody beats me to it.

An efficient logo can be drawn quickly like graffiti, so that’s why I kinda didn’t like my ‘realistic’ ant shape.

manyroads
    manyroads

As a kid all we had were Atom Bombs…. I feel cheated.

Pax vobiscum,
    Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
    bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.2.15-antix.1-amd64-smp
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
    MX- antiX- BL- ArchLabs

Anonymous

@ manyroads

Be grateful — at least you had something! How many people have nothing at all but, their bare life. 😉

@ dgh

That works fine and double meaning keeps too! 😉

And so, by the way … it associates with ‘insecticide (spray)’ and ‘pest (vermin) exterminator’.

🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

PPC

@ manyroads

Be grateful — at least you had something! How many people have nothing at all but, their bare life.

@ dgh

That works fine and double meaning keeps too!

And so, by the way … it associates with ‘insecticide (spray)’ and ‘pest (vermin) exterminator’.

I guess that the brightly colored X above the ant makes it look like a extreminator logo… But I belive you have some gold here, noclue: the stylized A and X in the background of the last ant would be a really cool logo… maybe even better with a more marked “X”?

P.S.-
    We are doing this just for the fun of it, but now I’, imagining how a “real” team of designers works on creating very recognizable logos, like Apple, Microsoft, Audi, etc, etc…
    Also?… does anyone have any input from anti, in the sense that the dev team is really interest in choosing any logo that eventually comes out of this thread? Or will there be only some good pictures that eventually anyone interested can download from here and use as logo/wallpaper/start icon?

P.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by PPC.
    Anonymous

Some more ant (i) X … at least, that ‘X’ would give a great ‘Start Menu’ start button. 😉

dgh
    dgh

The X over the Ant makes it look like a logo for insecticide, which emits a negative vibe; most insecticides are in some way harmful to the environment and to people. Ironically, it would be an excellent logo for systemd, because they aim to exterminate all the little guys in the Linux eco system + the systemd folks view everyone else as pests.

Other than that, a good logo should avoid being too busy; layering 2-3 shapes with inverted colors may look cool in an abstract art sort of way, but as a logo/emblem/etc it is too messy. To be honest, my eyes can’t even figure out what the last image is supposed to be.

A logo for an OS should be interchangable as a ‘Start’ button / menu icon. Look at all the successful OS logos and you will see this. Debian’s golden-ratio-swirl logo, Ubuntu’s people-holding-hands-in-a-circle logo and of course, Apple’s (Walled-)Garden-Of-Eden-Bitten-Apple logo and of course Windows’ 4-pane-window logo.. these are all used both as logos and as icons for the main menu button.

As a piece of art, I like the iceberg, because I could imagine the image of a prison ship called systemd, crashing in to it and sinking.

PPC

Hum… What do you folks think about these ideas for a logo?

P.

Xecure
    Xecure

I will also have fun with all of you.

This is based on the icons I have been creating for my antiX set up. I will try to summarize to make it short, but I also want to illustrate what I am thinking while creating these symbols.
    From the antiX logo, I like very much the X letter, so that is where I start my symbol.

The story
    As a symbol, I imagine a coin. A coin’s main objective is to store value, but if a coin is old, rusty or is a bit worn out, people will tell you to get rid of it and get a new one. If the coin is not broken, why won’t you give it the value it deserves? Why won’t you accept it?
    Instead of a coin, lets think of it as a computer. If a computer “has some age”, people consider it as “useless” and tell you to get rid of it and get “a new one”. They are trying to take away its value.

antiX gives you back the power to decide for yourself if your computer is really useless. This way you can restore the value others are trying to take away from you. If it works, and the software is “up to date”, it runs fast for what I want it to do (and it gets the job done), who says it has no value?
    In this way, you can scratch off the date and the old symbol on the coin, and add the new antiX symbol, restoring the coins value.
    coin transformation (coin transformation)

The great thing is, before you decide to completely scratch away all symbols on your coin, you can test to see how it fairs with the antiX symbol. You can stick a removable antiX sticker (live environment) and see how your coin looks (how everything works) before permanently scratching away the old remnants of a no longer accepted design.

In this way, the antiX developers have created something of great value. Something that they give to you for free, so that your computer can again recover its value.
    antiX gift to the world

The symbol
    Taking the coin that represents the computer, the X representing antiX (as “scratching away” the idea of it no longer having value), and we add a little grey from the antiX logo (representing the antiX core), we now have a new symbol.
    antiX - X symbol

Wait a minute…
    Q: What about the “a” in antiX? Only an X is not enough!
    Ok, I will get an “alpha” looking “a” at one side:
    alpha and X symbol

Q: What about antiX’ main slogan “Lean and mean”? Have you forgoten about it?
    Well… If we turn the symbol 90 degrees, the X looks like it is speeding.
    X symbol speeding to the left
    And if we want it meaner and leaner, a crazy comet can come down on us!
    The antiX comet!

Q: This symbol you designed looks like it comes from the “X-men”. Are we mutants or something?
    Well… we can take away the black circle
    No X-men, thank you

Q: Why not make it look good on any background making the X transparent as with ZorinOS?
    transparent X symbol

Q: I hate circles. When I was small, a ball hit me on the head, and I avoid circular stuff since then. No circles on my desktop!
    Ok, what about this then?
    squared X symbol
    turned squared X symbol
    Windows-like transparen X symbol

Q: What the hell?? Are we trying to look like windows now?
    Sorry ^^’ Any of the other previous symbols should be good.

Q: I got hit by an eks shaped drone when I was young. Since then, every time I see an eks symbol, the trauma returns! No ecs, please. I even avoid writing them!
    What about this then? Some greek stuff may help.
    antiX, the column that supports our system

Q: There is still an ecks in the name! Are you trying to kill me? It is better if you use the original antics logo instead!
    Sorry :'(
    antics logo

With all this, I illustrate how anyone can easily customize their own images for their system. The same goes for all the great ant customizations you have all contributed to have fun here on the forum.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.