AntiX Not Pretty but Highly Functional.

Forum Forums News News AntiX Not Pretty but Highly Functional.

• This topic has 48 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated Dec 21-3:08 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Got Linux?
    https://technology.desktopnexus.com/wallpaper/815916/

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Brian Masinick
    BobC
    Helpful
    Up

olsztyn, I agree as well. Bigger, slower programs are not something I want running on my system. That’s the meaning of lean and mean to me. I’m ok loading a program that takes 40 mb when I want it to run, but try to avoid ones that load up and stay running unless I’m really using them.

Waste not, want not. If it will run on the old, low resource machines, it runs like lightning on my faster ones.

The machine should be doing what *I* want done, not me working to feed it…

christophe
    Helpful
    Up

@Robin – I have to say this: I really enjoy that electronic billboard saying “Enjoy antiX” 😉 That’s my kind of humor!

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2018

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Same here!

Humor is good, so is creative artistry.

By the way, if you think that our upstream distro Debian is always dry and lacking variety and choice, think again.

Check out a few pages of the desktopnexuscom. Search for Debian or Debian Linux; lots of diverse art in their section for sure.

Keep up with the great sharing, there are many good things I’m the thread already. Keep it up and represent cities and countries all over the world!

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Keep “em lean and keep “em creative and fun. It doesn’t have to be a product or project, just something that you like and are willing to mention or share.

Brian Masinick

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

Since my first posting on this thread seems to have be lost (spam-filter?) images start with “next charge” only, which was actually the second one 🙂
    Here now my original answer subsequently added, as a direct reply to post 47626 by Christophe

Well christophe, since you have asked kindly for images 🙂 here are some private shots from my photo collection. These are all quite old ones I have made about 1985, they are on real negative or DIA-positive film material still, made with a nearly ancient Kodak camera and I just have scanned them in (on my devices) highest possible resolution. antiX may take each of them if they can help, I declare that I hold the copyright (since I’ve taken them myself) and you may freely use each of them for antiX for an unlimited period. They are copyrighted only in order to obey german law, which demands that everybody has to declare he claims ownership of “Urheberrecht” concerning an image before he can confer right to use images to anybody else, which includes to give them “free”. It has got a little complicated nowadays…

I can’t predict how they will look on your screens, since my resolution is limited to 1440×900 px on a non-calibrated screen. Each image has its own theme, style and its own coloured scale.
    If somebody experienced wants to do some retouching on them I can send over the original png files which are about 18-20 MiB each. Also artistic artwork may derived from them, I consent to this.

There are more to come, but this takes a little time, and please tell me if they don’t suffer from wrong color saturation or lack of image definition for big resolutions people today have. Since I possess the negatives, one could hires scan directly from these also if needed, which would give some extra sharpness or better colour fidelity, just in case.

So have fun with them. Btw, my favourite image on desktop is still the metro station you have had in 17. While testing antix19 on my machines the very first thing was to re-install that very design. I use it in connection with “Clearview blue medium” color scheme.

But design is a matter of taste, so let’s give everybody a chance to find his favourite one himself.

EDIT: uploaded lowres images (about 1440×900 px), since server didn’t like original about 3000×2000 px files (2,4MiB-2,8MiB each)

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by Robin. Reason: server doesn't like hires scan images
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by Robin.
    Robin
    Helpful
    Up

Well, I will add some lines, in answer to many of your previously comments, not referring to every single one. While I am with you believing in the user beeing able to chose his own preferred desktop theme and -image himself, I also think it is quite important antiX keeps something like a recognition factor in its optical appearance. This was provided by the metro station in ver 17, which is still present in this forum (look at the page header). For that matter it doesn’t count wheather some individual recipient likes the original design or not, delivered with the release, since he will be able to replace it on use — the point is antiX is recognised not only by technical means (as in the article put forward) but also by a stunning design, just as in the allready mentioned ver 17. Was that not lightwight also? But eye-catching as well.

P.S.:

Keep “em lean and keep “em creative and fun. It doesn’t have to be a product or project, just something that you like and are willing to mention or share.

This is absolutely true in my eyes also, and what I said about “recognition factor” was not meant to turn it into a kind of product. The idea is: optical appearance is something which can provide a kind of “sense of belonging”, people starting antiX for the first time could feel at home in this OS, which stimulates confidence in the underlying technical means. To achieve this it is not neccessery people like the design as delivered in release. They will sense it’s identity also when they dislike that very design, as it will induce a feeling (good or bad) in them, and thus they sense the technical power which stands behind antiX (astonishingly this functions the same way with good feelings as well as with bad ones.) This can’t happen when first contact on desktop they have is a kind of cardboard packaging without continued visibly identity, which makes them stay dégagéed.

PPS: Just have been made aware there is a forum thread for uploading wallpapers already, so mods may move all the images from here to this place in order to keep things well-arranged : https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/wallpaper-with-xaos-xpf-to-enjoy/ to which I will upload all further wallpaper-images from now on.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by Robin. Reason: typo
    marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Marcelo, antiX (full) assembles its own “desktop environment” by allowing user to select a “Window manager”, like IceWM or FluxBox or JWM, and different options for the file manager and desktop icons.

Hi @BobC,

Thanks for answering.

So the antix “Desktop Environment” is Space and Rox?

Thankful.
    marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Olá @BobC,

Obrigado por responder.

Então o “Desktop Environment” do antix são o Space e o Rox?

Grato.
    marcelocripe
    (Texto original em Português do Brasil)

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

So the antix “Desktop Environment” is Space and Rox?

No, Marcelo. “Desktop Environments” are softwares that include a way to manage windows (Window Managers) but also more software, like a File Manager, a system log in application, a way to manage wallpapers, desktop icons, a toolbar, a way to manage global settings, etc.
    Examples of “Desktop Environments” are XFCE, KDE, Gnome, etc.

antiX ships only with Window Managers ( IceWM , JWM, Fluxbox- the first two complete names are “Ice Window Manager” and “Joe’s Window Manager”)

Space and Rox are the names of the file managers (SpaceFM or Rox-filler) that the Window Managers use to get desktop icons.

The advantages of not using Desktop Environments is that you get to pick exactly what pieces of software you want to have in your system, instead of being forced to use a complete ensamble (an “Environment”)- you get a finely tuned system that uses only the system resources you want it to use and nothing more.

You can, for simplicity sake, think that antiX provides almost a Desktop Environment by itlself – because it provides everything the end user needs to have a complete system- although that is not an accurate statement, it’s an approximation of the reality – there’s not much that you are missing not using a real “Desktop Environment” in antiX (but you can install, for example, Xfce from the Package Installer and try it out)

P.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Marcelo, A “Desktop Environment” includes a file manager program, as well as other programs. Here is a comparison chart of different desktop environments. You probably need to download it, view it in full screen and zoom in, but you will see there are many possible options. If it was a normal spreadsheet, someone could fill out a column for antiX in it’s default configuration.

picture of comparison chart

PS: Here is another comparison chart that just shows which programs are included in the listed desktop environments.

As you can see, there are many desktop environments and even just comparing their default configurations, there are many different choices of component programs available
    Arch Wiki Desktop Environment comparison
    Wikopedia comparison

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by BobC.
    • This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by BobC.
    userzero
    Helpful
    Up

I think some forget what a WM is … wiki:

“Other window managers are instead designed to be used standalone, giving the user complete freedom over the choice of the other applications to be used. This allows the user to create a more lightweight and customized environment, tailored to their own specific needs.”

A simple xsetroot -solid ‘# 002B36’, may be more than enough.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

The only words I did not notice explicitly – and I may have missed them – is “an integrated collection..”

A desktop environment includes a graphical 6emvironment, consisting of the core graphical interface provided by the X Window Manager, a window manager, a file manager, an Email client, a terminal interface and the ability to integrate each of the components by copying, cutting, and pasting content, and especially by dragging and dropping between different applications and desktop objects, which was introduced primarily by the desktop environment.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.