AntiX on Insignia (really odd) laptop

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions AntiX on Insignia (really odd) laptop

• This topic has 25 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Feb 1-7:38 pm by Xecure.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

I have an Insignia NS-P10W8100 which is a 10″ mini Win10 laptop that BestBuy sold for a bit. Cute little thing but with only 2GB memory and a 32GB drive I know it will be a real poor performing machine in Windows. Anyway – picked it up on Ebay for $60 and thought I’d just put some flavor of Linux on board. Not so fast. Turns out it has a 32-bit UEFI with 64-bit hardware.

Well – Thank you guys very much!! AntiX is one of the few distros that boot out of the box. But now I need to learn a few new things:

1. During boot – at grub I hit e and insert “fbcon=rotate:1 ” before splasht… in the boot line. This rotates my text during setup. Hit f10 to boot with this set… but is there anyway I can save that? I was going to make my own grub line – but the file system is read only ISO9660 format? That is a new one on me – so none of my usual tricks allow me to go in there and try something.

2. During customization – I choose i915_invert and I think it solves some of the problems I have had with other distros. All other distros boot with the screen turned (which I can fix) but also the mouse x-y inverted – which I have not been able to figure out at all. But AntiX works fine. Just wondering how I can make the rotation setting persist?

3. During customization boot I choose – persist_root. After poking around I find that it is saving this on the physical hard drive somewhere? I have a 128GB thumb drive. Isn’t there a way to make this completely save all customization on the usb thumb drive?

4. The display is skewed left about 1/8″ – not showing the first letter of the “menu” and a black bar for 1/8″ in on the right side of the screen. I built an entirely new 800×1200 60 profile in xrandr and that showed me the far left of the screen – but still had a black bar on the far right. So – How can I adjust it and fix? OR – half credit for showing me how to make my new profile in xrandr to persist.

So far in persistence it is saving my wifi password. Not sure what else it will save? Is there a way to save all the toggles I select during the custom boot?

Anyway – I am googling and learning fast. Really wanted to say I like this distro and appreciate everyone’s hard work.

Thanks in advance for any tips, tricks or answers!
    Regards,
    Frank

XecureXecure

Hi.

0. Missing the most important info, the output of:
    inxi -Fxz

1. Is this on Live USB with persistence or installed?
    Adding boot parameters: https://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Boot_Parameters#Adding_options_to_Boot

2. Is this related to the previous question? Does (after booting inside the system) using arandr to rotate help at all?

3. How did you make the liveUSB? Did you use the tool inside antix (Live USB maker)? Persistence (and other live files in general) are saved in /live/boot-dev/antiX/ folder. Is there a rootfs there?

4. It may be related to one of your boot parameters. For saving the changes, add the same commands you used for setting xrandr inside a file (making it a script and making it executable), and add the path to that script inside $HOME/.desktop-session/startup file, where other autostart scripts go.

So far in persistence it is saving my wifi password. Not sure what else it will save? Is there a way to save all the toggles I select during the custom boot?

Do you have it set as Automatic (saves changes when exiting), Semi-automatic (asks you to save changes when powering off), or manual (you need to save persistence changes with command or with “Save Persist Changes” inside Menu> Applications > antiX or from the Control Centre)?

Hope antiX can help with your cheap laptop.

https://www.insigniaproducts.com/pdp/NS-P10W8100/5855905

> the file system is read only ISO9660 format?

This is the result if you created a bootable (but read-only) boot media.
    For best results, boot antiX on another system and use the antiX live-usb-maker tool to create the bootable media. If your only “other system” at hand is windowsOS, I’ll recommend the “rufus” creator tool (opensource, downloadable from http://rufus.ie ). If using rufus, do not ask it to setup persistence ~~ once booted, antiX will handle that detail (on demand during any given liveboot, if requested).

Yep – Looks like the root of a lot of my problems are that I used Live USB Maker in Linux to make the USB drive I am booting from… Okay – I will make it over again and update.

Meanwhile – here is my inxi -Fxz output.

System:
      Host: antix1 Kernel: 4.9.235-antix.1-486-smp i686 bits: 32 compiler: gcc 
      v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.4 
      Distro: antiX-19.3_386-full Manolis Glezos 15 October 2020 
      base: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) 
    Machine:
      Type: Desktop System: Insignia product: NS-P10W8100 v: N/A 
      serial: <filter> 
      Mobo: AMI model: Cherry Trail CR serial: <filter> UEFI: N/A 
      v: HC-BI-10.1-Sl0CHRl00-CC34A-101-R date: 07/26/2017 
    CPU:
      Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Atom x5-Z8350 bits: 64 type: MCP 
      arch: Airmont rev: 4 L2 cache: 1024 KiB 
      flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 11520 
      Speed: 480 MHz min/max: 480/1920 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 480 2: 480 
      3: 480 4: 480 
    Graphics:
      Device-1: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series 
      PCI Configuration Registers 
      driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
      Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
      resolution: 800x1280~60Hz 
      OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics (Cherrytrail) x86/MMX/SSE2 
      v: 4.5 Mesa 18.3.6 direct render: Yes 
    Audio:
      Imaging Unit 
      driver: N/A bus ID: 00:03.0 
      Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.9.235-antix.1-486-smp 
    Network:
      Device-1: Intel Wireless 3165 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: f000 
      bus ID: 01:00.0 
      IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter> 
    Drives:
      Local Storage: total: 143.68 GiB used: 632.4 MiB (0.4%) 
      ID-1: /dev/mmcblk0 model: DF4032 size: 29.12 GiB 
      ID-2: /dev/sda type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: Ultra Fit size: 114.56 GiB 
    Partition:
      ID-1: / size: 1.45 GiB used: 632.4 MiB (42.7%) fs: overlay source: ERR-102 
    Sensors:
      System Temperatures: cpu: 42.0 C mobo: N/A 
      Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
    Info:
      Processes: 181 Uptime: 12m Memory: 1.84 GiB used: 181.9 MiB (9.6%) 
      Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 8.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.3 
      inxi: 3.0.36 

Thanks gang. This looks like a cool distro and has put some pep back in the step of this underpowered thingy!

Sorry – I think it lost my reply somewhere – OR I probably got caught in a spam filter. I was replying on my own reply from the subject insignia laptop and my main laptop. Easier to paste things in. Anyway – going to bed. I will try and re-create my reply in the morning.

Thanks everyone.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by FrankNStein.

Hi gang.

Skidoo – Thanks for the trick on CORRECTLY burning an AntiX boot stick. Never heard of that one before.

Anyway – that all works. File system seems to be read/write. Persistence seems to be saving things I want.

1. Getting the correct screen rotation at boot:
    Xecure – regarding:

…add the path to that script inside $HOME/.desktop-session/startup file, where other autostart scripts go.

I just need to add a file called startup or can I edit desktop-session.conf file?

With Grub – the following is being passed:
    set gfxpayload="1440x960;1440x900;1368x912;1366x768;1360x768;1280x800;1280x720;1024x768;auto"

Is there something I can do there? I mean the resolution it ends up with is 800×1280 (since it is rotated out 90 degrees)?

2. [SOLVED] Any ideas how to get the screen to not be skewed? The image seems to be the correct size – just 1/4″ on the entire left side is not off the visible screen and 1/4″ on the right side is a solid black bar.
    — Following instructions layed out here for transform: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xrandr

I entered this into the terminal
    $ xrandr --output DSI-1 --transform 1,0,-30,0,1,0,0,0,1
    With a little trial and error -30 pixels works great.
    Oh and if you make a typo and can’t see your screen (like I did) you can blindly type into your open terminal (whether you can see it or not) the command below to revert back to the screen you had a boot up.
    $ xrandr -o normal

3. Sound doesn’t work. Sound works in MX and Xubuntu and a few others. BUT – the Mouse is x-y inverted in all of those other distros. Oh but – you have to plug the headphones in to make the speakers go on – so that input pin is inverted somewhere along the way. So – how do I copy the audio intel from MX? or?

4. I am pretty new to Rox, Flux or IceWM desktops. Can I just put xfce on here or will that mess everything up. Or How do I make a simple launch link for Firefox on the desktop? I am used to drag and drop? I am on IceWM but tried a bunch of ’em. I am not moaning and groaning – just still learning…

5. Is the persistence file on the internal hard drive? What about the 2GB SWAP file I setup during config. I have a 128GB thumb drive and I’d love for it all to be on there.

Making progress. Thanks gang.
    Frank

Hi gang.

Skidoo – Thanks for the trick on CORRECTLY burning an AntiX boot stick. Never heard of that one before.

Anyway – that all works. File system seems to be read/write. Persistence seems to be saving things I want.

1. Getting the correct screen rotation at boot:
    Xecure – regarding:

…add the path to that script inside $HOME/.desktop-session/startup file, where other autostart scripts go.

I just need to add a file called startup or can I edit desktop-session.conf file?

With Grub – the following is being passed:
    set gfxpayload="1440x960;1440x900;1368x912;1366x768;1360x768;1280x800;1280x720;1024x768;auto"

Is there something I can do there? I mean the resolution it ends up with is 800×1280 (since it is rotated out 90 degrees)?

2. [SOLVED] Any ideas how to get the screen to not be skewed? The image seems to be the correct size – just 1/4″ on the entire left side is not off the visible screen and 1/4″ on the right side is a solid black bar.
    — Following instructions layed out here for transform: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xrandr
    I entered this into the terminal
    $ xrandr --output DSI-1 --transform 1,0,-30,0,1,0,0,0,1
    With a little trial and error -30 pixels works great.
    Oh and if you make a typo and can’t see your screen (like I did) you can blindly type into your open terminal (whether you can see it or not) the command below to revert back to the screen you had a boot up.
    $ xrandr -o normal

Making progress. Thanks gang.
    Frank

Oh and a few more bonus questions:

3. Sound doesn’t work. Sound works in MX and Xubuntu and a few others. BUT – the Mouse is x-y inverted in all of those other distros. Oh but – you have to plug the headphones in to make the speakers go on – so that input pin is inverted somewhere along the way. So – how do I copy the audio intel from MX? or?

4. I am pretty new to Rox, Flux or IceWM desktops. Can I just put xfce on here or will that mess everything up. Or How do I make a simple launch link for Firefox on the desktop? I am used to drag and drop? I am on IceWM but tried a bunch of ’em. I am not moaning and groaning – just still learning…

5. Is the persistence file on the internal hard drive? What about the 2GB SWAP file I setup during config. I have a 128GB thumb drive and I’d love for it all to be on there.

Okay that is it.
    Thanks gang for the help!
    Frank

Update!

Thanks gang for even when I don’t understand the answer you get me pointed in the right direction.
    So the answer for #1 above PLUS combining #2 above to give a rotated and slid over screen is now SOLVED.
    Gleaning from https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/changing-screen-resolution/ (duh-why didn’t I search that)

Okay – but my details to it…
    In arandr – I saved my layout. Then I opened it and edited it as root. Inside that script where it is listing the parameters of my active screen DSI-1 I added in “–transform 1,0,-30,0,1,0,0,0,1” and saved the file. Then moved the file as directed in the link above plus all those other steps to make it execute at startup and BOOM – working boot up screen rotated and slid left just like it should be!!

XecureXecure

Well done figuring out the screenlayout script.

3. Sound doesn’t work.

Try installing the 4.19 Debian kernel (it is the same one that MX linux uses in non-AHS versions). It is available from the package installer (Kernel-Debian)
    If on live USB, you will need to remaster and then use the live kernel updater (all available from the Control Centre or from the antiX menu in Applications).

4. Yes, but it is better to install it from antiX core. But you can also install XFCE if you want (but it will run slower). You can do this from the package installer (remaster first and reboot, as the package size is large and maybe you don’t like the final xfce result). If you want to keep using antiX, read the FAQ and some of the articles in Tips and Trick section in the forum (some of PPC’s articles will help a lot).

5. The persistence file is on the USB device. Explore /live/boot-dev/antiX/ folder to see all live related files.

Thanks Xecure.

I am running down 100 different avenues right now and will work on those too.

BUT – wanted to ask a quick question. Is the AntiX usb burn tool available as a stand alone? That is WAY better than Popsicle. I was actually able to (cheat) and burn PopOS onto a usb drive and make it read/write… Rufus and Popsicle both result in the crazy ISO9660 file format. I test booted this Insignia on PopOS 20.04 and got it to boot. Of course the screen is rotated out but I fixed that from what I learned. But I still have that mouse x-y inversion problem that only AntiX gets right. BONUS question – where in AntiX should I be looking for what it does to get this touchpad working? Is it just in xinput Coordinate Transformation Matrix string or is there also a driver? If I could get that figured out I might slide over to MX since it feels a little more familiar. But the more time I spend in ROX I guess I am getting better…

5: Persistence local stored. I am not going to worry about this since I getting close to a do-over again anyway – But I am 99.99% sure that persistance put its rootfs and homefs (or something) on my internal Windows partition – I saw the files there today while I was in Win… I am also 99.99% sure it was a user error and I must have clicked somewhere wrong…

Thanks again!!

XecureXecure

There is an Appimage for live usb maker, created by the MX team: https://mxlinux.org/blog/live-usb-maker-tool-now-available-as-an-appimage/

You will have to use a transformation matrix, as you suggest, and load it at startup (be it on antiX or on MX). I remember having a similar problem with a tablet, where touch was inverted, but this was related to a conflict between libinput and evdev (I had to remove one of them, don’t remember which, I think libinput). Yours shoudl be controlled by synaptics. Check it with
    xinput --list
    There are many results of how to use the Transformation matrix in google, so check it out for your specific case.

Persistence will always save FIRST in the usb (/live/boot-dev/antiX) except if doing a frugal install or if using some from= parameter, or some other pdev/pdir boot parameter. That has been my experience on every live-USB I have created. Maybe your drives work differently and are loaded at boot before the persistence check script, so I have no idea (or were created on a previous occasion, and during the persistence check, the files are found on a different drive and are used instead of creating new persistence files on the live USB). No idea.

For someone starting from windowsOS, rufus is fine.
    ( do NOT instruct rufus to setup persistence. That will be handled, on-demand, during antiX liveboot )

“AntiX usb burn tool”
    ! “burn tool” is a term to describe a utility that produces a read-only CD/DVD

> as a stand alone?

Yes.
    source code here: https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/live-usb-maker

The packaged GUI version “live-usb-maker-gui”, packaged standalone, but has dependencies
    Depends: live-usb-maker, cli-shell-utils, xdg-utils | antix-viewer, menu

The debfile packaged non-GUI version
    Depends: cli-shell-utils, extlinux, syslinux-common, parted, xorriso, wamerican, dict
    and
    can be downloaded from here: http://repo.antixlinux.com/buster/pool/main/l/live-usb-maker/live-usb-maker_0.4.8_all.deb
    (same package suits both 64bit and 32bit systems)

intall this first, it is a dependency of the above
    http://repo.antixlinux.com/buster/pool/main/c/cli-shell-utils/cli-shell-utils_0.3.34_all.deb
    (same pkg suits both 64bit and 32bit systems)
    Although it contains no compiled executables, for sake of completeness I’ll mention that its source code is available here: https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/cli-shell-utils

There is an Appimage for live usb maker, created by the MX team:
    https://mxlinux.org/blog/live-usb-maker-tool-now-available-as-an-appimage/

Aw, I was too slow in posting
    (and mentioning the appImage was a better answer anyhow)

ileile

Hello FrankN
    m excuse
    I renege and withdraw.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by ile.

Hi!

For the audio item #3, i’ve read that there is a chance to resolve it.

in your audio section it seems that the driver is not loaded and I believe that has something to do with the camera?:

Imaging Unit
    driver: N/A bus ID: 00:03.0
    Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.9.235-antix.1-486-smp

Here they have solved it by adding 915.disable_power_well=0 at the grub command line

Here they elaborate a bit more. It seems quite complete.

It is worth a try.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by pepitofer. Reason: update information
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by pepitofer.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.