AntiX on Insignia (really odd) laptop

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions AntiX on Insignia (really odd) laptop

• This topic has 25 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Feb 1-7:38 pm by Xecure.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Hey gang – thanks for all the intel!!

Yep – skidoo – I know it is not a “burn” tool… but I’m showing my age – I’ve been fiddling with Linux for years. And no – I only boot into Windows when FORCED to… My daily driver laptop is multi boot with PopOS being my normal driver. So having a usb maker with better options will be AWESOME… I already downloaded it and will be trying it out next time I burn a usb make a boot usb. Tee hee hee…

OH – I learned a new trick from the git comments!! You probably know it – but I will forget it – so I am going to write it here. If you open a terminal… don’t change directories, nothing. Just type sudo (and 1 space) then go into file manager and drag the file “live-usb-maker-qt-19.11.02.x86_64.AppImage” to the command prompt it automagically pastes in the full path to the file. Then hit enter and then password. And boom. That drag and drop full path name trick is pure gold and obviously can be helpful on a lot of things!!

Okay – back to work on the Insignia- Xecure – xinput is not installed on AntiX. I tried sudo apt install xinput and sudo apt-get install xinput and both times I got “E: Package ‘xinput’ has no installation candidate”. I also tried to find xinput in “Package installer” and “Synaptic Package Manager” but no go. Still googling what to do next. I see where to enable other APT repos – but we are getting over my head…

Hey ile – welcome to the party. I’m not sure I understand. I know the Insignia has 32 bit UEFI for booting and 64 bit hardware. I know that somehow AntiX is booting the 32 bit version. But I am not sure I know how to get it to boot the 64 bit. I am willing to try anything at this point from a USB boot. Getting close to being ready to wiping the internal drive clean but not exactly there yet. And based on what I have learned – I can make an iso of where I am at and just put that aside. Oops – too late. I see ile retracted the statement – but I am willing to try anything like that. Not sure how to get 64 bit to boot – but it would be an interesting try.

Howdy pepitofer. I will read up some more but I added i915.disable_power_well=0 to my grub line during boot and no go. When I try to play an audio file I get an error “Couldn’t open audio. Please check that: your soundcard is configured properly. You have the correct output plugin selected. No other program is blocking the sounddcard.
    But I have only spent 30 seconds on this and haven’t read both links you sent. I will and I appreciate the direction as I bet it gets me closer.

Anyway – thanks everyone. I like this forum – everyone is helpful and positive. I appreciate all of the help!

Best regards,
    Frank

XecureXecure

anticapitalista pointed out in another thread to using 64 bit systems with 32bit uefi:
    https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=54415

xinput is in the debian repos: https://packages.debian.org/buster/xinput
    Try again.
    sudo apt update && apt policy xinput
    And you should see it available and installable.
    sudo apt install xinput

Okay let me apologize since this has more to do about learning about the Insignia laptop. AntiX – the touchpad on the USB detachable keyboard works!! On other distros – the mouse is x-y inverted and then location inverted. Basically it has 2 goofy things – moving up moves the mouse to the left etc AND where ever the mouse is located – if you select – you are selecting opposite on the screen. So for example – if you move the mouse pointer to the bottom right to the clock and click – it will be clicking the top left. So I have been trying to learn how to change that.

I have been looking at all the xinput parameters and even tried changing Coordinate Transformation Matrix values (blindly).

So comparing Xubuntu vs AntiX. (Again remember that AntiX works fine)

xubuntu@xubuntu:~$ xinput
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ SINO WEALTH USB KEYBOARD                    id=9    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ silead_ts                                   id=10    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                 id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Video Bus                                   id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                                id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ SINO WEALTH USB KEYBOARD                    id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Intel HID events                            id=11    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ gpio-keys                                   id=12    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ gpio-keys                                   id=13    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ SINO WEALTH USB KEYBOARD                    id=14    [slave  keyboard (3)]

demo@antix1:~
    $ xinput
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ SINO WEALTH USB KEYBOARD                    id=9    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                 id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Video Bus                                   id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                                id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ SINO WEALTH USB KEYBOARD                    id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Intel HID events                            id=10    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ SINO WEALTH USB KEYBOARD                    id=11    [slave  keyboard (3)]

Very similar. The only difference is the Silead touch screen which I added manually following a guide to get the firmware installed. Now it almost works… but not correctly yet…

$ xinput list-props 2
    Device 'Virtual core pointer':
        Device Enabled (141):    1
        Coordinate Transformation Matrix (143):    1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000

xubuntu@xubuntu:~$ xinput --list-props 2
    Device 'Virtual core pointer':
        Device Enabled (169):    1
        Coordinate Transformation Matrix (171):    1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000

Details identical

$ xinput list-props 3
    Device 'Virtual core keyboard':
        Coordinate Transformation Matrix (143):    1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000

xubuntu@xubuntu:~$ xinput --list-props 3
    Device 'Virtual core keyboard':
        Coordinate Transformation Matrix (171):    1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000

Identical

So what happens if we invert those to get Xubuntu to work?

xubuntu@xubuntu:~$ xinput --set-prop 3 171 -1 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 -1
    X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
      Major opcode of failed request:  131 (XInputExtension)
      Minor opcode of failed request:  57 ()
      Serial number of failed request:  20
      Current serial number in output stream:  21

Maybe it is the whole keyboard?

$ xinput list-props 9
    Device 'SINO WEALTH USB KEYBOARD':
        libinput Natural Scrolling Enabled (276):    0
        libinput Natural Scrolling Enabled Default (277):    0
        libinput Scroll Methods Available (278):    0, 0, 1
        libinput Scroll Method Enabled (279):    0, 0, 0
        libinput Scroll Method Enabled Default (280):    0, 0, 0
        libinput Button Scrolling Button (281):    2
        libinput Button Scrolling Button Default (282):    2
        libinput Middle Emulation Enabled (283):    0
        libinput Middle Emulation Enabled Default (284):    0
        libinput Accel Speed (285):    0.000000
        libinput Accel Speed Default (286):    0.000000
        libinput Accel Profiles Available (287):    1, 1
        libinput Accel Profile Enabled (288):    1, 0
        libinput Accel Profile Enabled Default (289):    1, 0
        libinput Left Handed Enabled (290):    0
        libinput Left Handed Enabled Default (291):    0
        libinput Send Events Modes Available (261):    1, 0
        libinput Send Events Mode Enabled (262):    0, 0
        libinput Send Events Mode Enabled Default (263):    0, 0
        Device Node (264):    "/dev/input/event1"
        Device Product ID (265):    9610, 27272
        libinput Drag Lock Buttons (292):    <no items>
        libinput Horizontal Scroll Enabled (293):    1

xubuntu@xubuntu:~$ xinput --list-props 9
    Device 'SINO WEALTH USB KEYBOARD':
        libinput Natural Scrolling Enabled (304):    0
        libinput Natural Scrolling Enabled Default (305):    0
        libinput Scroll Methods Available (306):    0, 0, 1
        libinput Scroll Method Enabled (307):    0, 0, 0
        libinput Scroll Method Enabled Default (308):    0, 0, 0
        libinput Button Scrolling Button (309):    2
        libinput Button Scrolling Button Default (310):    2
        libinput Middle Emulation Enabled (311):    0
        libinput Middle Emulation Enabled Default (312):    0
        libinput Accel Speed (313):    0.000000
        libinput Accel Speed Default (314):    0.000000
        libinput Accel Profiles Available (315):    1, 1
        libinput Accel Profile Enabled (316):    1, 0
        libinput Accel Profile Enabled Default (317):    1, 0
        libinput Left Handed Enabled (318):    0
        libinput Left Handed Enabled Default (319):    0
        libinput Send Events Modes Available (289):    1, 0
        libinput Send Events Mode Enabled (290):    0, 0
        libinput Send Events Mode Enabled Default (291):    0, 0
        Device Node (292):    "/dev/input/event4"
        Device Product ID (293):    9610, 27272
        libinput Drag Lock Buttons (320):    <no items>
        libinput Horizontal Scroll Enabled (321):    1

Those look identical and look a lot like a mouse. So I tried again (blindly)

xubuntu@xubuntu:~$ xinput --set-prop 9 171 -1 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 -1
    It seemed to accept it as there were no errors but… there were no changes either…
    Leads me to believe that changing Coordinate Transformation Matrix values don’t do what I am looking for.

Any ideas?
    Thanks as always!

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by FrankNStein.

Update –

I booted into xubuntu and was able to get the mouse movement x-y inversion fixed.

xubuntu@xubuntu:~$ xinput --set-prop 9 171 -1 0 1 0 -1 1 0 0 1

Now when you move your finger up on the trackpad – the pointer moves up the screen etc.
    BUT – It still selects the top left corner of the screen when you click on the bottom right corner…. so that inversion still exists. That answer was gleaned from this post https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/InputCoordinateTransformation

But still not a complete answer. Still chasing up and down other alleys so… currently looking at making a MX persistent boot thumb drive with what I have learned. … see if it fits my needs better.

I appreciate everyone’s help. I am still leaving this open – as if I find or anyone has hints on completely solving the trackpad x-y inversion – I will document it here and leave it for others that might face similar problems.

Happy New Years and thank!

I wonder what would happen if you plugged in a wireless mouse in the USB port. My wife hates using track pads and she always uses the wireless mouse. We usually use a Logitech system. Sometimes the track pads on laptops are terrible to work with.

seaken64

Hi seaken64 –
    I forgot to mention early on – that a usb mouse does the same thing. X-Y inverted location and screen select inversion too. It does have an advantage that you can hold the mouse sideways.

Anyway – We have company visiting for 2 weeks – so the wife told me I have to clean up my “computer surgery lair”… so I might not have time to wrench on this for a little while. But we will see.

I feel closer. Now the only remaining oddity is the screen select inversion. I don’t know what words to “google” with. But this is where you pointer shows you on the top left of the screen and when you click it is selecting the bottom right. The inversion is throughout the screen so middle of screen just to the left of center line selects middle just to the right of center line. This makes mouse works very difficult. If anyone knows that answer or even the technical terms to search – I’d appreciate that.

Thanks again.
    Frank

Did you already try: Create a file /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-invertaxes.conf

Section “InputClass”
    Identifier “Invert Mouse”
    MatchProduct “The name our your mouse in xorg”
    MatchDevicePath “/dev/input/event*”
    Option “InvertY” “true”
    Option “InvertX” “true”
    EndSection

install xinput

use xinput list to find the name of your mouse or touchpad- enter in match product.

ModdIt – that looks like the answer I have been searching for!!

I will see if I can get this laptop back out of storage. As I mentioned – we have family in town and have to keep my “lair” looking like a normal “office” so the laptop in question is in storage. So please pardon any delay.

I will get to it and report back here.

Regards,
    Frank

Hey ModdIt – thanks again for the idea. I have the laptop back out of storage and am starting chasing down the ideas now.

I am trying to find and copy the xorg config files from AntiX and other distros to see if I can paste together the working sections to solve all the problems.

I will be reporting back when I get some results.

Thanks again.

Okay – I created a file /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-invertaxes.conf

I tried it with the master and the slave labeled pointer device called out by xinput and rebooted each time – and no change.

Now I am fiddling with another idea – I am actually surprised I didn’t break anything yet… but since AntiX has the trackpad correctly inverted and correctly matched to the location on the screen – I just copied the entire /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ to the MX distro…

But somehow nothing changed.

Any thoughts how I can create a nice hybrid here? I like MX because it is more comfortable to me with the file manager and desktop plus working sound. But AntiX has the touchpad working correctly – the only distro I have tried that has that. But it doesn’t have sound and even with all the tweaking on the screen – it still mis behaves. Above we moved the image over to the right 1/4″… well that works – but now when I open an application full screen – it makes it 1/4″ too big and places it just off the page to the right??

Anyway – any thoughts, tips or tricks are greatly appreciated!!

XecureXecure

Want a real test? Check the kernel on your running MX linux
    uname -r
    install the same kernel on your antiX persist USB (as I imagine you haven’t installed it yet), remaster, update live kernel and reboot. Then see if your fixes work after using the same kernel as MX Linux. [Note: MX linux uses the Debian kernel, so install it using the Package installer].

like MX because it is more comfortable to me with the file manager and desktop plus working sound. But AntiX has the touchpad working correctly – the only distro I have tried that has that. But it doesn’t have sound

After installing the same kernel, see if the audio works when using the “select audio card” app in Control Centre > Hardware. If it doesn’t, please test the script I attached to this post. I have had to create it for one of the machines I am testing. As selecting the card wasn’t enough, I had to set it up to test all sound devices instead, and then save its configuration. With some polish, it could be used to update the sound card chooser, or as a complementary program.
    [Edit-Note: the script attached only tests the device (sound test). The save function was disabled, as I am still figuring things out]

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Xecure.
    Attachments:
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.