antiX issue on K6-2

Forum Forums General Hardware antiX issue on K6-2

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated May 19-6:41 am by Tevira.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

So I’m trying to install antiX 17 base on an old AMD K6-2 but the live CD won’t work past the boot select screen and goes to a black screen in all 3 modes after the kernel loading bar finishes. The system is a 450mhz K6-2 w/768mb ram a 4gb HDD and an ATI rage 128 pro. I have also tried a S3 Virge DX, Nvidia TNT1 and TNT2 to no effect. Anyone have any idea why it won’t work?

• This topic was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Tevira.
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Tevira.

Bad news I’m afraid.

AntiX is based on debian, which dropped support for the K6-2 in 2015 with the introduction of version 9 of Debian.

I’m afraid with a processor that old, you’ll likely have more success with Antix 16, or Debian 8 (Jessie), which antiX16 is based on.

Ah that explains it, that’s too bad since the machine otherwise exceeds the minimum requirements. I have a dual PII 266mhz system with 512mb ram I can dig out instead since it seems most have dropped support for the various socket 7 chips I have but I imagine it will be noticably slower than the K6 would have been.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Tevira.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Tevira.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.