AntiX on tablet

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions AntiX on tablet

• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated May 14-12:28 pm by rokytnji.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Raziel408

Somebody has tried to install antiX on an android tablet?
    I have an old tablet and I wish to give it a try. I looking for some advices.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

Hello.

I have antiX 19 installed on what use to be a dual-boot android/windows tablet. Some things don’t work, some things required some time to get them to work and some things worked out of the box.

I have an old tablet and I wish to give it a try.

First you need to answer this question:
    Is your tablet a ARM based or x86 based system?

If it is an ARM based tablet, then antiX will not work. There are other ARM based linux systems, so maybe you are lucky finding something about your specific tablet on the internet.

If it is a x86 based system (intel atom, for example), then you may be in luck. Every tablet is different, but maybe you can get it to work. In this case, check to see if anyone has already installed linux on the same device. Use Google and search your device name and “linux”.
    Some may have special EFI requirements to get it to install, maybe need a BIOS update, etc. It is difficult to give you a general set of instructions. But no matter what you do, it is best to make a backup of all your system just in case.

Let us know how it goes if you are able to install antiX on your tablet.

Good luck!

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up

Motion Tablets are AntiX compatible. They came with a Windows version.

Arm Android Tablets have already been covered.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

rayluo
    Helpful
    Up

To those who tried install antiX (or whatever Linux, for that matter) into your tablet,

Out of curiosity, how does it pan out? Does Linux make that tablet perform faster than running its stock system, just like many lightweight Linux gives older PCs a new life?

I took a shortcut, and installed Termux app into my many Android tablet. It did give me a close-enough Linux environment, but my tablet’s overall performance is just as sluggish as its stock Android performance. Not sure whether a native Linux installation would make any difference here.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

My experience with Teclast x98 plus ii, a dual-boot android/windows cherrytrail (intel atom) based tablet.

Specs:
    CPU: Intel Atom x5-Z8350
    RAM: 4GB LPDDR3
    Disk: 64GB eMMC ROM
    Battery: 7800mAh
    Screen: 9.7 inches – 2048 x 1536 (QXGA)
    Wifi: shitty (have to use an external USB wifi receiver for better signal if needed)
    Touchscreen: silead (medicre/shitty)

Android experience: really slow and buggy.
    Windows experience: OK at the start. Every new update made it slower.

First solution: delete android and have a Windows only system.
    Result: It worked well for some time, ended up being extremely slow starting up programs, writing on the virtual keyboard, etc. Last update made the “Updating” screen display for over 2 hours. I got fed up and decided to jump to linux on this device.

My linux journey
    From Live USB, tested:
    – XJUbuntu (Xfce ubuntu with drivers for the atom tablets): Even slower than windows. VERY buggy, but the most important things (for me) worked.
    – MX Linux 18: Slow but better than windows. Wifi worked out of the box, but the touchscreen not. Did detect battery but couldn’t display changes
    – antiX 17: The fastest of all systems I had tested. Wifi didn’t work, but the USB wifi receiver did. Touchscreen worked after adding the firmware to the correct folder. Did not detect battery. Updating the kernel to 4.19 had wifi working properly. Resolution was too big, and DPI only worked for text, so I “halfed” it to 768×1024. Needed to delete a package to get touch to work properly (only using evdev for touch, and needed xinput_calibrator to correctly calibrate, but it took some work calibrating it). After compiling a customized kernel, I now have the correct battery information.
    – others: Had problems starting up, couldn’t detect/install in an eMMC disk, extremely slow systems, etc.

Fast forward to today, I have a very fast antiX 19 tablet with a customized fluxbox desktop and many scripts to make life easier. I have dual boot with windows (just in case), but I only use the antiX system on this device. I use this tablet mainly for reading and navigating the web. The battery can last over 7 hours of reading (estimate, I have never measured it) so it is more than enough. I can read infinitely if connected to the charger 😉

What does work:
    – Screen
    – Touchscreen
    – Wifi
    – Battery
    – Hardware buttons

What doesn’t work
    – Audio (jack or speakers/microphone) -> driver related
    – Bluetooth
    – Webcams (probably could work easily, but I don’t want them to)
    – Auto-rotate sensors (not interested)

rayluo
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks Xecure for sharing an inspirational journey. The initial part “From Live USB, tested…” sounds challenging already, can’t imagine how much was hidden behind “fast forward to today”. 🙂

Question about the bluetoooth part. Is it some drivers issue that could theoretically be solved, or more difficult than that? (No need to get deep on answering this, I’m not ready to make this leap at this moment.)

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

For most cases, if wifi works, bluetooth should work. For other cases, it is very possible someone has already build a driver for the specific bluetooth device, so compiling it with dkms should work well. Also, firmware may be missing, so finding the correct firmware may also be needed.
    In my case, I was experimenting so much with different kernel builds and customizing so much stuff, I deleted something (probably firmware for the bluetooth device) I just stoped caring. I know it didn’t work out of the box and I really didn’t have any more energy to continue trying to fix this specific problem. I was too lazy to start everything from the beginning. Maybe some day in the future.

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up

Wispilly wishing I could install AntiX on this unit.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-mobile-81/what-is-wrong-with-this-kind-of-old-android-and-https-only-internet-4175669231/

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.