AntiX on Vacation

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX AntiX on Vacation

• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Apr 10-2:54 am by fatmac.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Thank you developers! Finding AntiX Linux has been amazing!

In the past year Raspberry PI’s have brought me back to Linux. I used to use Linux daily, but took a long break from Linux for six years. Work has always required that I run Windows so that I can run a Windows only program and so that I can take full advantage of printer drivers for larger copiers and printers. This past summer my son got involved in a C++ coding class and wanted to practice programming. We got a first generation Raspberry PI running Raspbian and he was coding with Geany. I installed Kubuntu, then KDE Neon, then Ubuntu MATE on a couple of old laptops that were bricks with old Windows installs, and fell in love with Linux again. Fast Forward to this past week.

We were traveling to see family, and I knew that my son would enjoy practicing his coding, and I wanted to work on our family finances with GnuCash, but I didn’t want to bring a computer along. I tried SLAX, but had issues (persistence errors and lack of UEFI booting would have been tough). I downloaded AntiX but I used Etcher to write AntiX to a USB stick, which prevents persistence from working. After booting AntiX live and installing it to a new USB key drive using the AntiX Live USB Installer, we were in business with an Encrypted USB stick, and persistence. I installed GnuCash, g++, and we had everything on that stick that we needed for the week with family. My son used it every day to program. I used it to update our family finances.

Things that were great about AntiX:
      1. Using persistence, we could load everything we needed for the week without needing to have access to the internet once we were at our relatives’ home. Although they had a brand new Dell Desktop with 12 Gigs of RAM and a 7th generation I5 processor (Yes, AntiX flew loaded into RAM), they don’t have great internet access (they use a limited cell data plan), so we didn’t want a Linux distro that would lack what we needed to have fun and get work done. AntiX has just about everything out of the box to do all kinds of work and programming.

2. I forgot how much I loved Fluxbox. That used to be my WM of choice on my old hardware years ago, and it is still something to love. Although a few of the included styles make it very difficult to see the menu text (which I think I can fix if I would look into the Fluxbox configuration files and adjust the transparency).

3. AntiX includes lots of great documentation which I spent the week reading and learned a few more tricks like “Ctrl+1,2,3…” to arrange program windows which I find to be very handy. I would love to see even more documentation (maybe an area where I can get involved) on the live image so that you don’t need an internet connection to learn how to use everything in AntiX.

4. Setting up an encrypted USB stick was easy, and gives me some peace of mind that I have never had before with a live distro. This is really my first encrypted operating system install and I kind of like knowing that my data is locked away.

I’m still debating whether to do a full install of AntiX on an old laptop or if I will just continue to use the USB stick. When I compare the speed of AntiX Live with Static Persistence to how Ubuntu MATE runs on the same old laptop, but installed on the spinning hard drive AntiX seems just as fast if not a bit faster for some things, and it runs on less memory. Since I’ve coming home from vacation, I have found myself plugging in the AntiX USB stick into all of my four laptops (2 old ones with Ubuntu MATE installed, and 2 newer ones with Windows 10 installed) and loving the experience. THANK YOU DEVELOPERS! AntiX is an amazing project, that you have poured your hearts into, and it shows.

Forum Admin
      rokytnji

Nice intro and nice to meet you.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
        I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
        Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
        How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

fungalnet

The live system that boots and loads into ram can be very fast indeed, but a full installation on usb needs to read and write stuff from the stick and can be slow. It is not slow executing, but it is slow reading and writing, as there is a lag till the next instruction goes through. An ssd external disk might be better.

koolstofje

iso-snapshot an option?

fatmac

Welcome aboard. 🙂

This morning I was having a look at Lubuntu 18.03 beta2, it is a clean looking distro, but it’s still no match to our favourite distro! 😀

Linux (& BSD) since 1999
              Ultra Small Form Factor & thin client computers

Anonymous

Thanks for the warm welcome.
                @frugalnet – Yes, you are right that the slow up in the system is in the read/write. However, I’ve been using AntiX on that old laptop with USB 2.0 using persistence static, and I’m impressed with the speed of the apps openings and files being read/written. I feel it is just as fast as Ubuntu MATE on the older SATA hard drive. I’m sure a SATA SSD in the laptop would be my fastest experience possible with that old hardware, but AntiX live on USB 2.0 is really impressing me.

@koolstofje – Are you requesting an ISO image of my current AntiX Live? It wouldn’t be worth the effort since I really have only added GnuCash and g++. You could do that with an AntiX Live using persistance and the command “sudo apt-get install gnucash g++” and you would be running the same AntiX that I’ve been using for the past week.

@fatmac – Are you trying Lubuntu Next? That will eventually become the new Lubuntu, and since it is built on qt instead of gtk, I wouldn’t be surprised if it runs even faster on your hardware. I was running KDE Neon on the old laptop before installing Ubuntu MATE and just from a fresh boot, I’m pretty sure that full KDE used a few less megs of RAM than MATE which also runs surprisingly well on the old laptop that I’ve been using with AntiX live on a USB stick since coming home from vacation.

fatmac

No, I won’t be switching to Lubuntu, I was just looking, as some people think it’s a good version of the distro, but it’s way to slow booting up for me. 🙂

Linux (& BSD) since 1999
                  Ultra Small Form Factor & thin client computers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.